PDA

View Full Version : CFN's Quarterback U

Spanish Sooner
4/29/2009, 09:33 AM
Didn't See this posted anywhere
http://cfn.scout.com/2/861179.html

1. Oklahoma

There's no greater gap in styles than there is when it comes to the Oklahoma quarterbacks. It's that versatility, along with a consistent excellence and production at the position, that narrowly gives OU the paper-thin edge for the No. 1 spot. There are some of the greatest option runners of all-time mixed in with high-octane, record-setting Heisman passers. OU made a radical shift in styles, yet still has amassed some of the best college quarterbacks ever. The list could've been much more interesting had, arguably, the two most talented prospects to ever come to Norman, Troy Aikman and Rhett Bomar (remember, he was ranked ahead of Adrian Peterson by some services) played their whole careers for OU.

Jamelle Holieway might be the great option quarterback ever, while it could be argued that Sam Bradford is the greatest spread passer of all-time. If nothing else, OU has enjoyed some of the most fun-to-watch quarterbacks ever whether it's J.C. Watts flinging a pitch to a streaking Billy Sims, Holieway juking and cutting up the field, or Jason White letting it fly deep. Outside of a dead spot before the Bob Stoops era, few schools have had more college production over the last four decades, and while it hasn't translated to the pros in any way, shape or form, the NFL doesn't exist in this debate.

Yes, I know ... there's a certain Heisman winner missing from the list of five. Yes, I know ... Sam Bradford is possibly the most talented OU quarterback ever (and will certainly be the best OU pro ever). However, while he won the Heisman and two straight Big 12 titles, the two bowl losses and last year's loss to Texas nudges him just off the list considering Holieway and Heupel won national titles, Watts won two Orange Bowls, and White won a Heisman and was in two national title games. The late Jack Mildren barely makes the cut, but he'll be edged out by Bradford (who might be No. 1. on next year's list.

Oklahoma's fab five

1. Jamelle Holieway - He never made an All-America team and was never in the Heisman mix, but he's generally considered to be the greatest option quarterback of all-time and led the Sooners to the 1985 national title. Always a top runner, leading the team in rushing in his sophomore and junior seasons, he became an improved passer by his senior year with a 161.73 efficiency rating.
2. Josh Heupel - The quarterback who led the resurgence of Sooner football, he was the steady leader who brought OU the 2000 national title and was the runner-up in the Heisman race with a 33 touchdown, 3,850-yard season. He threw for 7,456 yards in two seasons.
3. J.C. Watts - The best option quarterback ever until Holieway came along, Watts led the Sooners to two Big 8 championships and two Orange Bowl wins. He also had the best hair-do in the history of mankind.
4. Jason White - While he never captured the love and affection of the college football world, he was in two national championships, won the 2003 Heisman, and came close to winning a second.
5. Jack Mildren - A three-year starter, Mildren suffered from being the quarterback of some monster OU teams at the same time Nebraska was at the height of its power. He had a passer efficiency rating of 199.52 in 1971.

AimForCenterMass
4/29/2009, 09:40 AM
That's an interesting list. I've never considered how the OU quarterbacks of past and present compare to those of other schools, nor was I aware of how highly OU was regarded in that aspect.

SCxxSOONER
4/29/2009, 09:47 AM
I like the post about TeBlow on Florida's list LMFAO

badger
4/29/2009, 09:53 AM
Florida's list is full of NFL flops. I know that OU's list has not had much success in the NFL, but their expectations were higher (or will be higher), given their Heisman or near-Heisman status.

We all know Tim Tivo will be listed forever as a "great college quarterback" and nothing else :D

Danny Wuerffel, tee hee.

Steve Spurrier has the nickname ol' ball COACH (and not PLAYER or QUARTERBACK) for a reason.

Rex Grossman... nothing needs to be said and no, he didn't deserve the Heisman then or now.

Shane Matthews? :confused:

Lott's Bandana
4/29/2009, 10:01 AM
Steve Davis lost only one game.

Always seems to be absent from these discussions.

Lott's Bandana
4/29/2009, 10:07 AM
His artificially high ranking of ** muddies the column.

Major Applewhite? "Huge Holiday Bowl win..."

Cough.

badger
4/29/2009, 10:10 AM
His artificially high ranking of ** muddies the column.

Major Applewhite? "Huge Holiday Bowl win..."

Cough.

You know which other QB had a "Huge Holiday Bowl win?"

Hint: He got drafted by the Giants on Sunday and his dad is already negotiating more snaps this summer so he has a fair shot to compete for the starting job with Eli :D

Clarification: Such reports are assumed and not confirmed about said QB's daddy... but they're probably true regardless.

AimForCenterMass
4/29/2009, 10:13 AM
Why does a list about OU inevitably open the door to criticism of other teams and their quarterbacks? Can no one discuss the positives of Oklahoma without ignoring the desire to bash other organizations?

badger
4/29/2009, 10:23 AM
I think you just criticized posters for criticizing. :confused:

AimForCenterMass
4/29/2009, 10:53 AM
I think you just criticized posters for criticizing. :confused:

I didn't criticize any poster. Instead, I questioned why a topic regarding OU needs to turn into a ______-bashing. If I am critical of anything, it is the sentiment that affection for OU must be equally balanced with a hatred for other schools and their players. I maintian disapproval for ideas or actions I perceive as being irrational. So, despite your :confused: state, I have not denounced any poster in this thread.

badger
4/29/2009, 11:01 AM
So you're saying in order for OU to be superior, other schools do not need to be inferior? ;)

BornandBred
4/29/2009, 11:07 AM
I think he's missing the point Badge, the saying goes: OU rules, all other schools drool. Not, OU rules, all others schools are really good, just not as good as OU, but that's personal bias and does not actually reflect on the quality of their program.

soonerfan28
4/29/2009, 11:11 AM
As much as I hate USC they did have Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart and Matt Cassell. Also Booty is still in the NFL w/Sanchez getting drafted this year.

AimForCenterMass
4/29/2009, 11:17 AM
So you're saying in order for OU to be superior, other schools do not need to be inferior? ;)

Please do not misrepresent my position; I never stated anything of that semblance. Recognizing the success of Oklahoma's quarterbacks does not necessitate the denigration of others. Undoubtedly, for one to be greater than another, there exists a difference in ability or performance. However, one can be hailed as great on his own merits of performance and ability, without the need of depreciating the accomplishments of others. My regard for Babe Ruth as the greatest hitter of all-time does not mean that everyone else just sucks, even though a superior/inferior relationship inherently exists within the position.

AimForCenterMass
4/29/2009, 11:21 AM
I think he's missing the point Badge, the saying goes: OU rules, all other schools drool. Not, OU rules, all others schools are really good, just not as good as OU, but that's personal bias and does not actually reflect on the quality of their program.

Is that your saying? I haven't heard a phrase like that since grade school. Note, my disagreement with your worldview does not mean I am "missing the point". What is the point?

TMcGee86
4/29/2009, 11:22 AM
Still think Jimmy Harris should get some mention. Never lost a game, back to back MNC's, not too shabby.

badger
4/29/2009, 11:23 AM
So what you're really saying is that just because OU is everything that represents a quality football program does not mean that other programs are not AND I QUOTE YOU: "anything of that semblance." Just because OU is (again, your words not mine) "hailed" and we are "recognizing the success" of the Sooners does not mean that programs are "depreciating" in value and contribute to the "denigration" of college football.

I'm just trying to understand you here, so I used your own words there. ;)

AimForCenterMass
4/29/2009, 11:24 AM
Still think Jimmy Harris should get some mention. Never lost a game, back to back MNC's, not too shabby.

I almost mentioned him.

BornandBred
4/29/2009, 11:39 AM
Is that your saying? I haven't heard a phrase like that since grade school. Note, my disagreement with your worldview does not mean I am "missing the point". What is the point?

I don't use smileys, so maybe you missed it but I figured my reference to a 5th grade childish statement would lead to the conclusion that I was joking. I get your point about not trashing the other team, I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll go back to my hole.

AimForCenterMass
4/29/2009, 11:53 AM
So what you're really saying is that just because OU is everything that represents a quality football program does not mean that other programs are not AND I QUOTE YOU: "anything of that semblance." Just because OU is (again, your words not mine) "hailed" and we are "recognizing the success" of the Sooners does not mean that programs are "depreciating" in value and contribute to the "denigration" of college football.

Babe Ruth, in my opinion, was the greatest hitter in the history of baseball.

*Before someone hijacks this thread, I should note that the expression is merely my opinion and was made for exemplification.*

What part of that statement demands the smearing of others' accolades as a prerequisite? Identifying the Great Bambino as the most praiseworthy hitter in the history of the game does not imply that Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, and Ted Williams all suck. The last four mentioned were all outstanding hitters and certainly do not deserved to be defamed for contributing so much to the game of baseball. In fact, denouncing their accomplishments only discredits to the same degree the achievements of Babe Ruth, whose greatness can only be weighed on the scales of objective analysis. Of course, comparisons must be made when determining which is better, but to conclude that anything else than the best simply "sucks" is completely fallacious.

When I recognize Babe Ruth as the greatest hitter of all-time, I do so without the need to denigrate others' accomplishments. When an individual or organization is truly great, the accomplishments stand on their own merits. I feel Oklahoma quarterbacks listed in the article deserve the same level of appreciation, based on what they accomplished. Their contributions to the University and its football program are in no way affected by the deeds or misdeeds of others. Those players are great because they were great.

My Opinion Matters
4/29/2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks for fagging up the thread guys.

TopDawg
4/29/2009, 12:19 PM

So what you're really saying is (using your words, not mine):

"I'm" "not" "contibute" "anything of" "quality." "I'm just" "'depreciating' in value and" "trying to" "'denigration' of college football" "words."

That's poor grammar even for a message board.

AimForCenterMass
4/29/2009, 12:21 PM
Come on MOM, the attitude we hold regarding Oklahoma's quarterbacks remains in unison. We just happen to disagree on a few other issues pertaining to our love for OU. We're working through our differences and the thread will eventually come around to normalcy. The healthy exchange of ideas is what makes these threads interesting. While I may disagree with another's worldview, I will not attempt to censor that individual. Let the thread go where it may, so long as the posters take it there.

OUMallen
4/29/2009, 12:23 PM
1. Tim Tebow - He won a Heisman, should've won another (and would've won it had the voting been done after the 2008 season), was a key factor in one national title and was the star who led the way to another. Throw in the Paul Bunyan-like legend he has become, the way he carried the team in the fourth quarter against Alabama for the 2008 SEC title, and the win over Oklahoma, and he has become the star at a school full of quarterback stars.
2. Danny Wuerffel - Arguably one of the five greatest college quarterbacks ever, Wuerffel was the one who ran Spurrier's offense better than anyone else with two national title appearances and the Ball Coach's lone championship.

http://ui07.gamespot.com/774/whut_2.jpg

He's implying Tebow is a top 5 college QB of all time.

badger
4/29/2009, 12:23 PM

"I'm" "not" "contibute" "anything of" "quality." "I'm just" "'depreciating' in value and" "trying to" "'denigration' of college football" "words."

:D I'm glad somebody can understand a winking smiley when they see one.

Seriously, Opinion, it's a good link and I'm glad you shared it. OU does have much to be proud of as far as it's athletes go. And we aren't saying that other teams suck, we're just saying that we have athletes that they do not have, who happen to collectively be the greatest ever :D

AimForCenterMass
4/29/2009, 12:24 PM

Quote-miner!

AimForCenterMass
4/29/2009, 12:28 PM
:D I'm glad somebody can understand a winking smiley when they see one.

Seriously, Opinion, it's a good link and I'm glad you shared it. OU does have much to be proud of as far as it's athletes go. And we aren't saying that other teams suck, we're just saying that we have athletes that they do not have, who happen to collectively be the greatest ever :D

I'm sorry, badger; I missed the smiley. Consequently, I missed the intent of the entire post. I concede my response.

badger
4/29/2009, 12:32 PM
I'm sorry, badger; I missed the smiley. Consequently, I missed the intent of the entire post. I concede my response.
The way you post is funny, so I was just having fun.. fun fa funfunfun :D

AimForCenterMass
4/29/2009, 12:35 PM
The way you post is funny, so I was just having fun.. fun fa funfunfun :D

That's perfectly fine with me, but I think you owe MOM an apology for "fagging up", or at least contributing to the "fagging up" of, this thread.

fwsooner22
4/29/2009, 12:45 PM
Yawn

Salt City Sooner
4/29/2009, 12:59 PM
Florida's list is full of NFL flops. I know that OU's list has not had much success in the NFL, but their expectations were higher (or will be higher), given their Heisman or near-Heisman status.

We all know Tim Tivo will be listed forever as a "great college quarterback" and nothing else :D

Danny Wuerffel, tee hee.

Steve Spurrier has the nickname ol' ball COACH (and not PLAYER or QUARTERBACK) for a reason.

Rex Grossman... nothing needs to be said and no, he didn't deserve the Heisman then or now.

Shane Matthews? :confused:

Uh, I'll take 1966 Heisman winners for $500 Alex, & although he wasn't ever much more than a journeyman in the league, he did have a 9 year NFL career. Being behind John Brodie was no crime at the time.

Collier11
4/29/2009, 01:16 PM
OU's 1st bowl win under Stoops was with his least physically gifted and smartest qb ever and his last bowl win was with his most physically gifted and dumbest qb ever, heh

badger
4/29/2009, 01:20 PM
OU's 1st bowl win under Stoops was with his least physically gifted and smartest qb ever and his last bowl win was with his most physically gifted and dumbest qb ever, heh

interesting combination... but MOM's linked article did note how diverse our QB's have been over the years :D

OU_Sooners75
4/29/2009, 02:47 PM
My question.

Since when have we ran the spread?

Collier11
4/29/2009, 03:00 PM
Its a version of the spread

Lott's Bandana
4/29/2009, 03:03 PM
Why does a list about OU inevitably open the door to criticism of other teams and their quarterbacks? Can no one discuss the positives of Oklahoma without ignoring the desire to bash other organizations?

Actually any list...about OU, about the economy, about kangaroo tail lengths...would not be complete without pointing out somewhere in the corresponding thread that,

***** sucks

No, I'm not advocating the hook'em down sign 24/7, but it is never inappropriate when you take a gun to a knife fight to use the darn thing.

Frozen Sooner
4/29/2009, 03:31 PM
Wait.

He leaves Sam Bradford off claiming that his two bowl losses (one in a national championship) overshadows his Heisman and two straight conference titles, yet ranks White ahead of his for him Heisman and one conference title?

JLEW1818
4/29/2009, 03:32 PM
Wait.

He leaves Sam Bradford off claiming that his two bowl losses (one in a national championship) overshadows his Heisman and two straight conference titles, yet ranks White ahead of his for him Heisman and one conference title?

lol, good point.

Vaevictis
4/29/2009, 03:34 PM
What have you done for me lately?

GottaHavePride
4/29/2009, 03:45 PM
My question.

Since when have we ran the spread?

Since 1999

SoonerShark
4/29/2009, 11:20 PM
Steve Davis lost only one game.

Always seems to be absent from these discussions.

With two national championships and a field goal away in 1973 from three in a row with a win rather than a tie at SC.

sendbaht
4/30/2009, 06:31 AM
Great read....so good to be a Sooner!!!!!

StoopTroup
4/30/2009, 07:04 AM
Consequently, I missed the intent of the entire thread. I concede my response.

fixed

SoonerPr8r
4/30/2009, 08:39 AM
Running Back U. - Top All-Around RB Schools (http://cfn.scout.com/2/861446.html)
8. Oklahoma

The Flag-Bearer – Billy Sims
The Ensemble – Greg Pruitt, Joe Washington, Steve Owens, Adrian Peterson, Quentin Griffin, Elvis Peacock, Adrian Peterson, Kenny King, Stanley Wilson, De’Mond Parker, Spencer Tillman, Steve Sewell, Mike Gaddis, Lydell Carr, Marcus Dupree and Jerald Moore

From 1969-1979, no program east of Los Angeles had more electrifying backs than the Sooners. Owens, Pruitt, Washington and Sims picked up a pair of Heisman Trophies and seven All-American honors between them. All four had productive NFL careers, Sims’ ending prematurely in 1984 from a serious knee injury. In 2002, Griffin fell just 12 yards short of Sims’ single-season rushing record of 1,896 yards, usually saving his best efforts for the Sooners’ biggest games. After his highly acclaimed freshman debut, Peterson was capable of challenging Sims for top honors, and will get it if he keeps up with his NFL production. Dupree had a breathtaking combination of size and speed, but he wound up being just a peculiar footnote in the school’s storied history. After whetting appetites as a freshman, he transferred to Southern Miss before imploding with the USFL’s New Orleans Breakers.

Here is a related article from the site
Yes Adrian Peterson was listed twice...he is that good

OU_Sooners75
4/30/2009, 03:28 PM
Its a version of the spread

Not really.

We may have some plays that are from the spread offense...but even then, the spread offense has some plays from other offenses.

We are about as traditional in offense as an offense gets nowadays.

I would say we are closer to that (traditional offense) than a spread offense.

The Remnant
4/30/2009, 07:01 PM
Residing here in Southern California, any loathing of USC is especially appreciated.

swardboy
4/30/2009, 09:32 PM
Residing here in Southern California, any loathing of USC is especially appreciated.

Heh, now that's funny.

Oh, and lest we forget: "TEXAS SUCKS"

badger
5/1/2009, 07:12 AM

Oh all right, here goes...

USC has the most players taken in the draft since 2005, but all they have to show for it is an annual beating of an overrated Big 10 team in their backyard come January after cruising through their cupcake Pac 10 schedule to a meaningless conference championship that is pretty much undisputed the entire season.

How's that? :D

pweitkem
5/1/2009, 08:06 AM
Heh, now that's funny.

Oh, and lest we forget: "*Texas* SUCKS"

Yes, yes, Texas most certainly sucks. I live in Austin and they are scared of OU this year... the whining and crying of the UT coaches and disrespect of a very, very good OU team is not lost on our counterparts from the Whorn nation. By our counterparts I mean reasonable, well informed college football fans.
I proposed a bet with the two UT fans I go to the RRR with every year and there were no takers for the '09 game. UT fans think OU is going to roll this year! Can't say I disagree.

meoveryouxinfinity
5/1/2009, 09:03 PM
Colt McCoy's is HILARIO.

2. Colt McCoy - Ultra-accurate and a great runner, McCoy likely would've led Texas to the 2006 Big 12 title game had he not gotten hurt against Kansas State and definitely would've been the star of a 2008 Big 12 champion if the BCSers had seen things differently.

HAHAHHAHA uncontrollable laughter!
Sam Bradford would be #2 on Texas's list!

Collier11
5/1/2009, 09:04 PM
theres alot of shouldas and wouldas and couldas in texas land