PDA

View Full Version : Carl Edward's kills the wall and then pulls a Ricky Bobby

Osce0la
4/26/2009, 04:55 PM
I'm sure many of you saw the finish at Talladega a few minutes ago...Cracked me up seeing Edwards run to the finish line :D

Osce0la
4/26/2009, 05:55 PM
For those that didn't see it here you go... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXwpsaHueUk)

A few fans in the stands were injured from the wreck, I don't think any of the injuries were serious though.

Newbomb Turk
4/26/2009, 07:20 PM
that was a wild finish.

pretty cool what Carl did.

StoopTroup
4/26/2009, 07:23 PM
Glad he's OK. Looked like stuff went into the stands to me but it could have been much worse.

BudSooner
4/26/2009, 08:18 PM
Carl is an ***, he damn sure knows Nascar isn't going to change the rules anytime in our lifetime....and blocking in a plate race is out of this world ****ing stupid...at Richmond or Bristol...fine, but not at two of the biggest tracks.
Nascar.com reports 8 fans sustained injuries(even though broadcaster Mike Joy who I like said "no debris entered the stands")some reports state that a loudspeaker was launched from one of the pylons at the top of the fence, and other debris was believed to be from the fence itself.
Amazing, 5000lbs of steel moving at 200mph was slowed down by that fence, it's time to add a chicane on the front stretch(otherwise known as a bus stop like at Watkins Glen/Sonoma/Mexico City/Road America/Road Atlanta)to make the drivers SLOW THE **** DOWN.

And, stop ****ing blocking attempts at plate tracks, morons!
I've always said, that the entire track does not have to be used, it's got a damn fine road course going thru the infield and the big turns can still be used....and make it at night, roadies are a blast to watch and doing it at night would make for a great event. It would just suck to be a spotter though. :D

Another idea, DIG UP THE TURNS! Yeah, make 'em flat as Phoenix, that will lower the speeds.

KC//CRIMSON
4/26/2009, 08:24 PM
He didn't do a back flip over the finish line, what a let down.

BudSooner
4/26/2009, 08:41 PM
He didn't do a back flip over the finish line, what a let down.

I hoped the official was going to trip him running down the track, that was kinda comical.

badger
4/27/2009, 08:18 AM
So, to you NASCAR knowing abouting folk reading - did Carl Edwards officially finish the race since he crossed the finish line, or should he have pushed his wrecked car across in order for it to count?

tbl
4/27/2009, 08:45 AM
Carl is an ***, he damn sure knows Nascar isn't going to change the rules anytime in our lifetime....and blocking in a plate race is out of this world ****ing stupid...at Richmond or Bristol...fine, but not at two of the biggest tracks.
Nascar.com reports 8 fans sustained injuries(even though broadcaster Mike Joy who I like said "no debris entered the stands")some reports state that a loudspeaker was launched from one of the pylons at the top of the fence, and other debris was believed to be from the fence itself.
Amazing, 5000lbs of steel moving at 200mph was slowed down by that fence, it's time to add a chicane on the front stretch(otherwise known as a bus stop like at Watkins Glen/Sonoma/Mexico City/Road America/Road Atlanta)to make the drivers SLOW THE **** DOWN.

I've always said, that the entire track does not have to be used, it's got a damn fine road course going thru the infield and the big turns can still be used....and make it at night, roadies are a blast to watch and doing it at night would make for a great event. It would just suck to be a spotter though. :D

Another idea, DIG UP THE TURNS! Yeah, make 'em flat as Phoenix, that will lower the speeds.
I need an interpreter... So are you saying the dude that got wrecked was the bad guy here?

swardboy
4/27/2009, 08:50 AM
So, to you NASCAR knowing abouting folk reading - did Carl Edwards officially finish the race since he crossed the finish line, or should he have pushed his wrecked car across in order for it to count?

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know...:stunned:

BudSooner
4/27/2009, 12:05 PM
I need an interpreter... So are you saying the dude that got wrecked was the bad guy here?
Bad guy no, suicidal yes, these cars don't have the downforce like the old cars(see Tony Stewart at Dega 3 or 4 yrs ago when he lost control and regained it to rejoin the field in the most amazing feat of car control ever at a plate race)these cars are always on the verge of being out of control on a normal track(Atlanta,Richmond,Vegas,California)but to block someone on a track this size is just ****ing nuts.

Carl ain't a bad guy, he just makes dumb decisions like all of us do.

In my opinion, the biggest blame lies with the yellow line rule, if there were no such rule then Brad could have dove down low and prevented an accident of this magnitude from happening, but Nascar told the guys that the rule is in place and nobody is exempt from it.

Carl knew Brad was back there, hell he pushed him for 1 1/2 laps to get him up there...he had to know that Brad was going to go for it.

In a sense, these cars are a throwback to the days of the cars that ran here when the track opened, and these cats are still getting used to them, the car that preceeded it was as close to an Indy car as a full bodied stocker could approach...everything was aero aero aero aero and you could pull of some crazy maneuevers in them but not in these.

1890MilesToNorman
4/27/2009, 12:18 PM
Yahoo shows Edwards coming in 24th position by completing 187 laps, the winner completed 188 laps so I guess he didn't finish the race.

pergdaddy
4/27/2009, 02:48 PM
No, you cannot finish a race once you exit the car.

GrapevineSooner
4/27/2009, 03:15 PM

To be fair, Carl admitted the wreck was entirely his fault and the he didn't know Keselowski had ducked under him.

He does have a point regarding the ridiculous yellow line rule. I've never understood why other tracks don't have an 'out of bounds' line. But the two tracks where, by plate racing's nature, there's very little room to operate, NASCAR limits that room even further.

I also think Dega needs it's October race date taken away because it's right in the middle of the Chase. That track and the Big One destroy too many teams' years because of it.

BudSooner
4/27/2009, 04:55 PM
To be fair, Carl admitted the wreck was entirely his fault and the he didn't know Keselowski had ducked under him.

He does have a point regarding the ridiculous yellow line rule. I've never understood why other tracks don't have an 'out of bounds' line. But the two tracks where, by plate racing's nature, there's very little room to operate, NASCAR limits that room even further.

I also think Dega needs it's October race date taken away because it's right in the middle of the Chase. That track and the Big One destroy too many teams' years because of it.

100% agreeance, one track sorta has the yellow line but it's not yellow....look at Darlington, it is sort of an understanding that nobody goes below the line near the apron.
I say swap it for a road course date, there is only two dates as of now, Watkins Glen in October/November isn't ideal so....either swapt WG for Sonoma and then swap Sonoma for Dega..you could even back it up against the other Cali date and that would give the west coast market two dates in the chase.

Or simply remove the Dega fall race in favor of Road Atlanta which is one of the top roadies in the states.

Did anyone happen to see if Carl's roof flaps opened? I watched the video again but can't see if one did, and that damned wing started the thing..then the air got under the car and then finally Ryan just had nowhere to go.

Jacie
4/27/2009, 06:32 PM
A quick glance at the standings shows Keseloski, having competed in only three of the nine races this year jumped from 46 to 41 with the win. He still hasn't broken the $1,000,000 mark in winnings for 2009 . . .

BudSooner
4/27/2009, 06:44 PM
A quick glance at the standings shows Keseloski, having competed in only three of the nine races this year jumped from 46 to 41 with the win. He still hasn't broken the $1,000,000 mark in winnings for 2009 . . .
Another thing, I thought with Scott Speed and Joey Logano's finishes yesterday that they would get a much needed boost in the owners points, but Scott went up by only 1 spot, Joey didn't move at all.
Robby Gordon is now only 18pts from falling out of the top 35, which in my opinion is stupid to have to begin with.

def_lazer_fc
4/28/2009, 12:56 AM

you know youre not a redneck when you have no idea what budsooner just said;) :D

Osce0la
4/28/2009, 11:29 AM

Somebody never watched Talladega Nights :D

Osce0la
4/28/2009, 11:30 AM
I would like for NASCAR to keep Dega in the Chase, but I do believe they need to throw in Sonoma or Watkins Glen as well...I think they need a mix of what the drivers run the entire season - short tracks, restrictor plates, and road courses all thrown in the chase.

def_lazer_fc
4/28/2009, 12:26 PM

cuz the cats in cool runnings had to at least carry their bobsled to the finish line right? feel the rythym! feel the rhyme!

picasso
4/28/2009, 11:22 PM

Keselowski? he owes me money!

Mixer!
4/29/2009, 01:08 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/9503602_18_1.jpg

"Yep, I'm flyin' through the air, this is not good."

BudSooner
4/29/2009, 09:04 PM
you know youre not a redneck when you have no idea what budsooner just said;) :D
Thanks, I think.....i'm no redneck though.:)

badger
4/30/2009, 07:40 AM
Nah, I never watched the ballad of ricky bobby, no. :D

I assumed that him crossing the finish line didn't count, but I was just curious if there was some rule that allowed for someone to finish the race even if their car quit on them.

Personally, having watching quite a few races, I think they can change the rules all they want, but drivers are still going to do desperate (and possibly stupid) things to get ahead near the end of the race. Cars will go three (four?) wide in lanes, try to cut each other off, give each other little love taps to see how much their foe can spin afterward, etc.

The yellow line rule is a scapegoat. Drivers are still going to do stuff to bring out the yellow flag when they're close to the checkered flag lap.