PDA

View Full Version : So is Staffords

SoonersBIG7
4/25/2009, 06:20 PM
$41 million guaranteed botherin Sam at all....

JLEW1818
4/25/2009, 06:21 PM
Some, Sam will get $42 Million next year....

SoonersBIG7
4/25/2009, 06:22 PM
Don't forget a second heisman and a crystal ball....:D

SoonersBIG7
4/25/2009, 06:23 PM
But I don't know how it couldn't bug a guy a little bit...

JohnnyMack
4/25/2009, 06:26 PM
Nobody, even Sam Bradford, deserves that much guaranteed money.

JLEW1818
4/25/2009, 06:59 PM
Nobody, even Sam Bradford, deserves that much guaranteed money.

true

BillyBall
4/25/2009, 07:12 PM
The NFL salary structure is ****ed up, how does someone who has never played a down in the league make more than someone that has won MVP awards. Complete bull****.

JLEW1818
4/25/2009, 07:15 PM
The NFL salary structure is ****ed up, how does someone who has never played a down in the league make more than someone that has won MVP awards. Complete bull****.

Would be nice to be Stafford.

tommieharris91
4/25/2009, 07:20 PM
Betcha Sam gets more guaranteed $$$$$ next season.

JLEW1818
4/25/2009, 07:24 PM

ditto

BillyBall
4/25/2009, 07:31 PM
Would be nice to be Stafford.

No doubt, Im not sure $40M+ of guaranteed is ever a "bad thing".

I think that Darrius Heyward-Bey hit the dumb **** Al Davis sweepstakes though. How do you pass on Crabtree for a project (cant catch or run routes well)... Its no surprise the Raiders consistently bleaux.

JLEW1818
4/25/2009, 07:32 PM

I think that Darrius Heyward-Bey hit the dumb **** Al Davis sweepstakes though. How do you pass on Crabtree for a project (cant catch or run routes well)... Its no surprise the Raiders consistently bleaux.

agree

BillyBall
4/25/2009, 07:36 PM

If they play the same position and are drafted in the same spot then its not even a thought, they will get paid.

The problem is that no one wants to draft in the top 5 anymore, why make someone the highest paid player at their position when they haven't ever played.

The lack of a rookie salary cap has made the first 5-10 picks basically a liability.

(Ex. How does a decent Matt Stafford get paid more than Tom Brady or Peyton Manning)

The whole thing is screwed up.

ashley
4/25/2009, 07:55 PM
It's not our football, it' the enternaiment business. Just like movie stars or singers, so don't worry about what they get paid.

BillyBall
4/25/2009, 08:04 PM
It's not our football, it' the enternaiment business. Just like movie stars or singers, so don't worry about what they get paid.

Oh dont get me wrong I really dont give a **** what the market will pay them. Thats the way the game is set up, but if I was an NFL player that has actually accomplished something, I would be ****ing livid.

goingoneight
4/25/2009, 10:11 PM

[SEC fan] ... but... but... but... he runs a fast 40!!!!!1111!!!11??!?! [SEC fan]

OU_Sooners75
4/26/2009, 02:21 AM
Matt Stafford's NFL Career will look similar to that of Ryan Leaf's!

If Teblow, Bradford, Hall, and a few others went early (this year) then Stafford would not even be a first round pick!

He benefitted from a POS draft class!

IronHorseSooner
4/26/2009, 06:39 AM

If Teblow, Bradford, Hall, and a few others went early (this year) then Stafford would not even be a first round pick!

Same with Sanchez!

tommieharris91
4/26/2009, 09:53 AM
[SEC fan] ... but... but... but... he runs a fast 40!!!!!1111!!!11??!?! [SEC fan]

Maryland is in the SEC now? :confused:

soonerlaw
4/26/2009, 10:51 AM
Maybe I am just biased against the SEC, but I just don't see Stafford as that great of a qb.. I think he is going to get creamed behind that crappy Lions line and will fade away like Jamarkus Russel, Vince, Leinert, Alex Smith, etc.

badger
4/26/2009, 05:40 PM
Soooo... who hopes their own team goes 0-16 this season so that they get Bradford :D

(I must admit, I am slightly tempted...)

badger
4/26/2009, 05:42 PM
I think that Darrius Heyward-Bey hit the dumb **** Al Davis sweepstakes though.

Hey now... that sounds like a challenge... Al Davis will take Tim Tivo next year with the No. 1 overall pick if you keep that talk up! :D

starclassic tama
4/26/2009, 08:37 PM

strongly agree. the guys career numbers at georgia don't even compare to sam's 2008 season. i don't understand how a guy who has a career completion percentage in the 50's deserves so much praise. when will scouts learn that the harder you can throw a football does not automatically equate to being a better player.

47straight
4/27/2009, 12:24 AM
Um, considering he has to live and work in Detroit, 41 mill ain't nearly enough.

badger
4/27/2009, 08:02 AM
Um, considering he has to live and work in Detroit, 41 mill ain't nearly enough.

They must tax the hell outta their higher incomes up there, considering the politics, unions and blue collared workforce. I wonder how much of that $41 mil is going to Uncle Sam?

JohnnyMack
4/27/2009, 09:15 AM
Same with Sanchez!

I think Sanchez has more upside potential than Stafford.

flopshotjoe99
4/27/2009, 10:12 AM
Same with Sanchez!

Sanchez & Freeman got out at the right time, next year they would have been SOL.

A-M
4/27/2009, 10:20 AM
Sanchez & Freeman got out at the right time, next year they would have been SOL.

Why do you think they went out this year?

NormanPride
4/27/2009, 11:01 AM
Stafford's going to cry himself to sleep on a pile of benjamins once he really realizes how bad his situation is.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/27/2009, 11:12 AM
why is everyone so confident that sam would have went first?

1. this is detroit drafting
2. stafford has the bigger arm
3. decision making only matters in the NFL if you have a good OL. otherwise your just throwing it up for grabs. strongest arm wins.
4. stafford played against the SEC

jumperstop
4/27/2009, 11:12 AM
How bad his situation is? I guess I do not understand. Nothing bad happens when you have 41 million, unless you lose 41 million.

NormanPride
4/27/2009, 12:14 PM
Is playing against the SEC an excuse for having a 50% completion average when you have the weapons Georgia does? I mean, they play cupcakes in the non-conference, too.

CrimsonJim
4/27/2009, 05:21 PM
4. stafford played against the SEC-SEC-SEC!

fixed

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/27/2009, 05:36 PM
Is playing against the SEC an excuse for having a 50% completion average when you have the weapons Georgia does? I mean, they play cupcakes in the non-conference, too.

how long was jeff george in the NFL? i rest my case...

Curly Bill
4/27/2009, 06:24 PM
Some of the talking heads on radio were discussing today about did Sam wish he'd come out seeing Stafford get his 41mill. They were fairly certain that Sam would have been first and gotten that much or more. FWIW

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/27/2009, 06:32 PM
Some of the talking heads on radio were discussing today about did Sam wish he'd come out seeing Stafford get his 41mill. They were fairly certain that Sam would have been first and gotten that much or more. FWIW

one problem with the talking heads is that they pick 105 1st rounders every year.

the second is that not every team has a need at a position. so if you scare off any team that has a glaring need at a position, you'll fall like a rock. heck, look at rey maulauga - talk about a fall from grace.

the 3rd problem is that there are certain teams that defy all logic when they draft - like the lions, the raiders, the broncos and the patriots. you can never predict what those guys are going to do.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/27/2009, 06:48 PM
You guys talking about Stafford's stats need to look at Matt Ryan's stats....he threw 19 INTs his senior season, high 50's percentage, and only 56 TDs total in his career...the stats mean nothing..

Not to mention that the Georgia O line was absolutely horrendous..C Mcoy's stats from last season as compared to his sophmore year shows how much an Oline has to do with those stats.

Those same talking heads were the ones touting Brian Brohm as the best prospect at QB a year before last season's draft....

btw Josh Freeman left early, because his head coach was canned...He came to KSU to follow Ron Prince and he left when he left..

stoops the eternal pimp
4/27/2009, 06:53 PM
Also something to consider in thinking of offensive styles is the types of routes the wide receivers run and the type of plays...The OU WR routes are a very basic set..something Malcolm Kelly talked about, amongst other things during the NFL season...I know he is 80 % full of crap, but something I've heard say by NFLers.....OU wideouts have struggled some in the NFL IMO, because they are not the best at running pro routes...

badger
4/27/2009, 06:57 PM
one problem with the talking heads is that they pick 105 1st rounders every year.

NP and I were joking about that on draft day - 50 projected first rounders! Nearly 20 of them fell to the second round! The teams that drafted them in the second round got steals! ...ehhhh.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/27/2009, 07:11 PM
I think the true Mr Irrelevant of the NFL draft is Mel Kiper

badger
4/27/2009, 07:35 PM
I think the true Mr Irrelevant of the NFL draft is Mel Kiper

the draft is hard to predict.

Curly Bill
4/27/2009, 09:18 PM
the draft is hard to predict.

Mel...that you?

Statalyzer
4/28/2009, 01:01 PM
Maybe I am just biased against the SEC, but I just don't see Stafford as that great of a qb.. I think he is going to get creamed behind that crappy Lions line and will fade away like Jamarkus Russel, Vince, Leinert, Alex Smith, etc.

I don't even think Vince and Leinart are fair comparisons. First of all both guys were 5x the college players Stafford was. And Vince did get ROY and make the pro bowl, and Leinart got benched in favor of a former NFL MVP and Super Bowl MVP.

No kidding - this is one mediocre list of QBs taken. And I can't remember the last time the top QBs in a draft didn't have anybody who I thought was all that great in college.

badger
4/28/2009, 01:32 PM
Mel...that you?

curly, you know I'm not Mel... nor am I a dude. :P