PDA

View Full Version : OCU vs. OU???

OU_Sooners75
4/24/2009, 08:28 PM
Starclassic Tammy thinks UCO is worthy of discussion when it comes to OU and the education process.

Stating such facts as, "People have told me that the Chemistry program at UCO is harder than at OU."

What say you all?

Frozen Sooner
4/24/2009, 08:53 PM
Personally, I think kicking the kid around is getting a little old.

OU_Sooners75
4/25/2009, 04:05 AM
nm.

walkoffsooner
4/25/2009, 06:03 AM
who give a rats *** what ocu does get on there board. And watch them on tv. Anyone can make a class hard,

OUAlumni1990
4/25/2009, 10:29 AM
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/7919/roflcopter9gr.png

StoopTroup
4/25/2009, 11:20 AM
Personally, I think kicking the kid around is getting a little old.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/member.php?u=36402

reevie
4/25/2009, 02:04 PM
I'm confused, are we talking about OCU or UCO?

OU_Sooners75
4/25/2009, 02:19 PM
I'm confused, are we talking about OCU or UCO?

They are the same, arent they? :D

jage
4/26/2009, 12:43 AM
I just read the rest of what starclassic had posted and I wanted to continue commenting since the other one got locked:

the american institute of physics is not worthy criteria for judging the top physics programs?

It's funny, because wikipedia suddenly changed to cite AIP as the source for that, yet there is still no reference at the bottom...since you were obviously the one who edited it, would you mind citing where you're getting this from? I can't find anything on AIP's site or through google saying they've ever done rankings...

that's interesting. i'm not trying to compare OU and UCO. everyone knows OU is the better school. the point is everyone here wants to completely discredit my undergraduate studies at a decent school like UCO because they get butthurt about my posts on soonerfans so they try and reach for everything they can to prove to themselves that i'm an idiot.

I never said you're an idiot. If you are proud of the school you are going to, and you feel like you're getting a good education, then isn't that all that matters?

jage's wife couldn't hack it in OU's metereology program so she transfers to UCO to major in photographic arts which is a complete joke of a major and all the sudden that means UCO's entire science department and math department are jokes too even though the numbers say otherwise.

First of all, my wife is waaay smarter than your *** will ever be. Ever looked into OU's meteorology program? It is the hardest in the nation, that's why my wife came all the way from San Diego to study there. Out of state starts getting expensive and there was just a point where it didn't make sense to keep paying to retake the upper division meteorology classes. Hell I'm a computer engineer and I couldn't help her out with anything she was doing. The physics behind meteorology is just insane.

So I take it you didn't fully read my post. My wife had nothing to do with my basis of UCO's math and science departments...it is our other friends (one is a math major, the other biology). Both are at UCO after being at OU. Again, it is night and day, and UCO is a joke. (They even let him take a basic college algebra, just so he could finish his degree in math.)

why would the OSBI partner with UCO to build the state's largest forensic science center if all the math and science at UCO was a joke? why would the american institute for physics rate UCO a top 20 program if it was a complete joke? why would the american chemical society accredit UCO as one of the only 4 colleges in the state with an ACS program if it was a joke? i'm pretty sure jage's posts are the joke here. i've actually taken the classes and i've compared my classes with people who have taken the same ones at OU and on average the rigor is the exact same.

I know your panties are all bundled up, but just realize how you sound, when your trying to convince OU people that UCO isn't a joke. Look at it this way...what do you think an MIT engineer would say to me if I started trying to talk to him about OU being an amazing engineering school?

Frozen Sooner
4/26/2009, 01:00 AM
Look at it this way...what do you think an MIT engineer would say to me if I started trying to talk to him about OU being an amazing engineering school?

"Get off my porch, I already paid you."

;)

jage
4/26/2009, 10:09 AM
"Get off my porch, I already paid you."

;)

haha! :D

Collier11
4/26/2009, 07:44 PM
1)They are both good schools, for being a D2 school UCO has some really good programs such as biz and education, etc.

2)Obviously overall OU is a better school

3) It doesnt matter

4) Anyone who has a degree should be proud of it, they arent easy to get even if you want to call someones degree field a joke, starclassic. Criticizing anyone for getting a college degree is childish and makes very little sense. If you talk down to someone who has a degree just cus you think yours is better then you are a very insecure person. There are people without degrees and people with GEDs that are a ton smarter than most of us and vice versa. Its all about their personal situation and motivations

5) Unless you are someone that takes acedamia extremely serious, the school you pick does not necessarily indicate how smart you are
6) Who cares

Vaevictis
4/26/2009, 07:47 PM
I dunno, that kinesiology degree Vince Young was working on is pretty joke-like.

Collier11
4/26/2009, 07:58 PM
But to say that is pretty crass I believe. Just because it isnt necessarily the hardest degree to get, people who have that degree may really enjoy their job or feel like they are helping others. What makes that any less relevant

Vince Young is legally retarded, he doesnt count

I dont have a kinesiology degree ;)

Fraggle145
4/26/2009, 09:01 PM
Did I mention I like boobs?

fadada1
4/26/2009, 09:06 PM
I dunno, that kinesiology degree Vince Young was working on is pretty joke-like.

ask vince if he knows what kinesiology is. 10 to 1 he thinks you made up the word "kinesiology" just to throw him off.

Collier11
4/26/2009, 09:19 PM
Starclassic Tammy thinks UCO is worthy of discussion when it comes to OU and the education process.

Stating such facts as, "People have told me that the Chemistry program at UCO is harder than at OU."

What say you all?

I cant speak for the chemistry dept but I started at uco and transferred to OU. Uco was boring and not as challenging but it is a good school

Vaevictis
4/26/2009, 10:00 PM
ask vince if he knows what kinesiology is. 10 to 1 he thinks you made up the word "kinesiology" just to throw him off.

Back before the UT athletic department got wise, you used to be able to look up all of the football team's information on the student directory.

Home address, Student Address, Phone number, SSN, and degree program.

Vince's was, "Kinesiology, Non-Certification Option"

I looked up the degree program. You could structure it so you didn't do much more than university core and a bunch of PE classes (weight lifting, basketball, track, football, etc.)

You can still get some of the team, especially when they undergo status changes (eg, Jordan Shipley, who's a grad student now was back in recently.)

AimForCenterMass
4/26/2009, 10:27 PM

That statement is simply hearsay and anecdotal; I hope the individual of concern didn't assert that and expect the declaration to be considered factual on its own merits. Now, I cannot gauge the difficulty between OU and UCO because I have no experience at OU. However, as anecdotal it may be, I can testify that taking chemistry at UCO, to include Rose State, is no picnic. I don't know how the chemistry department of UCO/RSC stacks up to OU, but that's really irrelevant when I feel like I'm being prison-raped every Tuesday and Thursday morning. If UCO is easier than OU, so be it. If that is the case, I'm glad I enrolled in blue and gold.

Vaevictis
4/26/2009, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure why it matters. IMO, education is what you make of it. You can make most any school's program worthwhile -- or not.

Collier11
4/26/2009, 11:27 PM
exactly

AimForCenterMass
4/27/2009, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure why it matters. IMO, education is what you make of it. You can make most any school's program worthwhile -- or not.

I share your sentiment; unfortunately, particular schools do not agree. To experience this reality firsthand, one needs only to work through a few semesters of school before applying to transfer to another, only to find they won't accept certain credits.

Like I mentioned though, like you, I regard education as beneficial despite where it is obtained. I do, however, wish more emphasis was placed on science and math throughout the course of study.

SteelClip49
4/27/2009, 08:26 AM
I was at OU and transferred to UCO. Gaylord College just has money but their faculty/professors don't so s**t. Gaylord is an overrated JMC school and you don't get the much needed experience and hard-nosed education like you do at UCO, just when it comes to journalism and broadcasting. There are smaller classes, more interaction with veterans of the field and you actually matter as a person, unlike at Gaylord. My two years at UCO had around 10 who transferred from OU and they will say the same thing. At UCO, you will get a better feel for what you are doing in Broadcasting and Journalism. I liked OU, don't get me wrong, but their JMC department is bogus.

ADs_Agent
4/27/2009, 09:30 AM
I get my BBA in Economics from UCO in 2 weeks, I also agree that school is what you make it. Since UCO was a smaller school I was able to be more involved in different activities around school, as well as have a closer relationship with my profs. Every prof I've had in the last 2 years knows me by name and on a personal level, that can't be said at a school like OU. I think it all depends on the degree program to evaluate the utility of value or quality.

The undergraduate Econ program at UCO is superior to OU's, but that may be one of the few programs that can be argued about on a consistent basis, again I'm biased though. That being said, I'm starting my MBA in the fall, and then moving on to my doctorate in Applied Econ from OU's LA school.

John Kochtoston
4/27/2009, 11:47 AM
I was at OU and transferred to UCO. Gaylord College just has money but their faculty/professors don't so s**t. Gaylord is an overrated JMC school and you don't get the much needed experience and hard-nosed education like you do at UCO, just when it comes to journalism and broadcasting. There are smaller classes, more interaction with veterans of the field and you actually matter as a person, unlike at Gaylord. My two years at UCO had around 10 who transferred from OU and they will say the same thing. At UCO, you will get a better feel for what you are doing in Broadcasting and Journalism. I liked OU, don't get me wrong, but their JMC department is bogus.

While I think you're largely correct when it comes to broadcast (in that UCO is a better program), I think you're painting with too broad of a brush. I'll put OU's print, advertising and PR programs ahead of anyone else's in the state.