PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma House fails to approve state rock song

OUstudent4life
4/23/2009, 03:47 PM
No, not a copycat thread.

Oklahoma House votes down Flaming Lips' state rock song "Do You Realize??" (http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-house-votes-down-flaming-lips-state-rock-song/article/3363875?custom_click=lead_story_title)

WAY TO GO, IDJITS!

Taxman71
4/23/2009, 03:49 PM
They never heard of it either?

yermom
4/23/2009, 04:04 PM
it's been in multiple national commercials

LilSooner
4/23/2009, 04:06 PM
What the hell! Thanks for wasting my husband's time you *******s! Seriously he spent a lot of time on that committee.

OUMallen
4/23/2009, 04:18 PM
W. T. F. Don't let us vote if you're not going to ratify our vote.

C&CDean
4/23/2009, 04:27 PM
What are these guys? 16? I mean c'mon, even though you think you're an edgy, uber-controversial over-the-top R & R group you still show a little respect and dignity when visiting the capital. The guy is a dumbass, and I've never intentionally listened to a FL song. I've never heard of this song, but according to yermom I guess I have and don't know it. Meh.

Dio
4/23/2009, 04:47 PM
Are there any politicians anywhere that don't suck ***?

royalfan5
4/23/2009, 04:50 PM
So does this open the door for a Hinder song to be approved instead?

bri
4/23/2009, 04:51 PM
This just in: Dean is old, and doesn't care for your rock music. Now get off his lawn. :D

NormanPride
4/23/2009, 04:52 PM

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highneg.gif

LilSooner
4/23/2009, 04:55 PM

You go to hell, you go to hell and you die!

starclassic tama
4/23/2009, 05:02 PM
yeah, nobody has ever heard of the flaming lips. they totally don't have 3 grammies, and are undeserving of the official rock song of the state because a T-SHIRT offended some backwoods people in this state.

mdklatt
4/23/2009, 05:55 PM

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highneg.gif

mdklatt
4/23/2009, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure what's dumber, the reason why the House voted it down or the fact that they're wasting time on declaring a state rock song in the first place. These are the same idjits who declared the watermelon the state "vegetable", no?

On the other hand, the more time they waste on stuff like this, the less time they have to **** things up.

sooner ngintunr
4/23/2009, 06:15 PM
W. T. F. Don't let us vote if you're not going to ratify our vote.

No ****!! That song got almost half of the votes. Who are these people?

I voted for Leon.

bri
4/23/2009, 06:22 PM
Dear House Republicans,

Suck a bag of dicks. (http://www.governor.state.ok.us/display_article.php?article_id=1234&article_type=1)

Signed,
Gov. Brad Henry

:D

Jerk
4/23/2009, 06:26 PM
I wonder if the ole chap would have walked in the legislature with a swastika on his shirt if it would have made any difference?

Curly Bill
4/23/2009, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure what's dumber, the reason why the House voted it down or the fact that they're wasting time on declaring a state rock song in the first place. These are the same idjits who declared the watermelon the state "vegetable", no?

On the other hand, the more time they waste on stuff like this, the less time they have to **** things up.

This.

starclassic tama
4/23/2009, 06:56 PM
brad henry rules

King Crimson
4/23/2009, 07:13 PM
I still would have voted for One Million Billionth of a Millisecond on a Sunday Morning or Out for a Walk.

sooneron
4/23/2009, 07:49 PM

yep:pop:

OUstudent4life
4/23/2009, 09:07 PM
Dear House Republicans,

Suck a bag of dicks. (http://www.governor.state.ok.us/display_article.php?article_id=1234&article_type=1)

Signed,
Gov. Brad Henry

:D

Heh.

sooner ngintunr
4/23/2009, 10:56 PM
Brads the man

bri
4/23/2009, 11:33 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/560972/medium.jpg

THE HORROR! THE HORROR!!

Stupid hipster t-shirts will be this nation's undoing. :D

Crucifax Autumn
4/24/2009, 12:35 AM
Nah...Spastic and Roy already doomed us.

StoopTroup
4/24/2009, 12:43 AM
Their lips aren't flaming...WTF?

Crucifax Autumn
4/24/2009, 12:51 AM
I dunno...The one on the right has a leatherbar thing going on in the oral region.

Jerk
4/24/2009, 04:51 AM
"Hipster t shirt"?

100 million dead, bri.

Would you have given him a pass if it was a Swastika?

Anyway, the guy in the middle scares me more.

OklaPony
4/24/2009, 08:11 AM
I'm a little mixed on the whole thing. The hammer and sickle thing is just, well... tasteless, and when I saw them at Opening Night last year Wayne could hardly complete 2 sentences without dropping an f-bomb. Those kinds of things definitely turn a lot of people off particularly in an overwhelmingly conservative state like OK.

Anyway, I would've picked Turn It On.

OklahomaTuba
4/24/2009, 08:14 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/560972/medium.jpg

yup, that was a good call indeed.

Maybe he should have just worn a swastika shirt instead??

I mean, the nazi's killed less people than the soviets did at least.

badger
4/24/2009, 08:20 AM
The Lips were classy afterward acknowledging that only a minority of the House members voted against the measure (it needed 51 votes to pass and got 48, which was still a majority of the vote) and that they are still proud to be Oklahomans.

But yeah, I agree with you people here that they probably should have saved the commie shirt for post-vote political statements... button your jacket during the vote, then unbutton later. So simple... but it would have been even simpler to not give a shiite about the legislature and not shown up at all.

OklahomaTuba
4/24/2009, 08:33 AM
It must take a special kind of shiathead to get up in the morning and think "I'm going to wear the flag of the most murderous and tyrannical regime in history today".

I wonder if he has any cool and fashionable nazi-wear in his closet?

OUMallen
4/24/2009, 08:41 AM
It must take a special kind of shiathead to get up in the morning and think "I'm going to wear the flag of the most murderous and tyrannical regime in history today".

I wonder if he has any cool and fashionable nazi-wear in his closet?

Dear Lord...you guys DO walk among us...I was hoping the representatives were just being knee-jerk and overly sensitive...but it's true. You actually care about a tshirt a guy from a band is wearing.

These guys have done more for OKC and Oklahoma promotion than anyone in this thread has. They even started doing their own New Year's Eve show in Oklahoma City, despite the fact they could do it LOTS of places and make more money.

Seriously, I wish some of you guys would get some perspective.

FREE SPEECH! FREE SPEECH! (...as long as you ONLY say things I personally agree with...)

Sooner04
4/24/2009, 08:50 AM
I can't believe the idiot was dumb enough to wear a T-shirt like that. Absolute dumbass.

Dio
4/24/2009, 09:37 AM
Of course, the House giving the Lips the thumbs down just made the Lips that much cooler...

badger
4/24/2009, 09:44 AM
In the end, it doesn't really matter. Gov. Henry's gonna make them official state songers, the House got to make it's point that you don't wear a commie shirt into the Capitol or use the F-word freely, the Lips got to be honored and make their political free speech/free stuff for all comrades statement and we have a South Oval topic to debate.

OklahomaTuba
4/24/2009, 09:51 AM
These guys have done more for OKC and Oklahoma promotion than anyone in this thread has. They even started doing their own New Year's Eve show in Oklahoma City,
huzzah! A new year's eve show you say???

Well then, may we all bow to the almighty flaming lips then!

GREATEST.

OKIES.

EVAR!!!!!!!

King Crimson
4/24/2009, 10:40 AM
Tuba's America, where robust commitments to civil liberties and free speech are sanctified in his own strident dissidence--

CrimsonJim
4/24/2009, 10:56 AM

Kinda looks like a white Michael Jackson.

bri
4/24/2009, 11:44 AM
Ah, jerk & Tuba, will you ever learn? You're trying to talk sense to godless liberals here; if you want us to be offended, stop with commie and Nazi angle and ask us how we'd feel if Ivins was wearing a Confederate flag t-shirt. OUTRAGE! :D

olevetonahill
4/24/2009, 11:51 AM
WTF are the flaming lips ?:confused: :P

GottaHavePride
4/24/2009, 11:59 AM
They're some band. I think.

sooner_born_1960
4/24/2009, 12:00 PM
They promote Oklahoma more than anyone in this thread. And sing, or something.

soonervegas
4/24/2009, 12:01 PM
Brad Henry vs. House Republicans is beginning to have that OU vs. Aggie football feel to it...

olevetonahill
4/24/2009, 12:03 PM
They're some band. I think.

I really hadn't heard of em till a few threads started up here about em:O
Course up until last year I thot hanna montana was a disney cartoon :D

picasso
4/24/2009, 12:25 PM

agreed.

badger
4/24/2009, 12:26 PM
Brad Henry vs. House Republicans is beginning to have that OU vs. Aggie football feel to it...

Before the 08 election, it was Brad Henry and House Democrats vs. Evenly split Senate and House Republicans. Basically, it was House Demos saying "Hey, we're the minority now and are pizzed about not having control of the state anymore unlike most of state history, but dag nabbit, we got the governor and will prevent any overrides of vetoes that Henry vetoes!"

If Henry vs. House Repubs feels like OU vs. Aggie, then the veto thingie of 06-08 was like Mid Majors vs. BCS, whereas the BCS (All of Senate and House Repubs) got the money and made the decisions that impacted all of Oklahoma, with an occasional interruption from an upset Mid Major (Henry veto power with House Dems preventing an override).

Well, at least we have term limits so the current government won't last forever :rolleyes:

picasso
4/24/2009, 12:26 PM

well if said Republicans had any sand that would be an easy battle. Brad Henry should be in old Hee Haw reruns.

OUMallen
4/24/2009, 01:17 PM
huzzah! A new year's eve show you say???

Well then, may we all bow to the almighty flaming lips then!

GREATEST.

OKIES.

EVAR!!!!!!!

You have no idea what you're talking about, yet you keep espousing your myopic worldview. It's cute, but not altogether clever.

OklahomaTuba
4/24/2009, 01:27 PM
no please, I would to hear how some 2nd rate commie lovin music act doing a news year eve show most people in Oklahoma have never heard of, let alone actually seen, is somehow THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO THIS STATE.

And then, please let us know if you would also be cool with some shiat for brains in a "hip and cool" swastika shirt writing and performing the state rock song of Oklahoma????

OklahomaTuba
4/24/2009, 01:29 PM
well if said Republicans had any sand that would be an easy battle. Brad Henry should be in old Hee Haw reruns.

I think most people forgot we actually had a governor to tell you the truth.

At least if he did this we would all know he is alive and ok.

StoopTroup
4/24/2009, 01:36 PM
The house will be run by the Dems soon...so none of this will matter. The end of the Republican Party is near.

KC//CRIMSON
4/24/2009, 01:37 PM
no please, I would to hear how some 2nd rate commie lovin music act doing a news year eve show most people in Oklahoma have never heard of, let alone actually seen, is somehow THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO THIS STATE.

And then, please let us know if you would also be cool with some shiat for brains in a "hip and cool" swastika shirt writing and performing the state rock song of Oklahoma????

Did you get beat up at a Duran Duran concert or something? Good grief.

OklahomaTuba
4/24/2009, 01:42 PM
man, that was good. You think that one up all yourself??

OUMallen
4/24/2009, 01:49 PM

You been drinking the OVJ. No one said it was the most important thing to happen to this state. I'm saying they choose to do it here and they don't have to do that. They choose to constantly be OKC and OK ambassadors. They are a platinum record holding, internationally known and respected frontrunner in modern alternative music. They are doing their part to put OKC and OK on the map. They're DIFFERENT..that's what they're totally about, and part of their music. You obviously fear different because a tshirt bearing the symbol of the communist party that's been defunct for over 20 years bothers you for some unimaginable reason. That REALLY bothers you somehow, despite the 1st Amendment and that it's just a flippin' tshirt.

You seem almost completely out of touch, and your opinion smacks of the backward hick stereotype many of us are trying to shed. Maybe you just feel like arguing on the intarwebz today, and I can understand that...maybe this isn't your REAL opinion, or you really don't care as much as you seem to....but if not, say hi to Sally Kern for me. :rolleyes:

NormanPride
4/24/2009, 01:50 PM
lol i wonder if they have any swastika shirts lol XD

soonerscuba
4/24/2009, 01:59 PM
The Flaming Lips are symbol to the rest of the planet that there are Oklahomans who are nothing like Tuba, the House Republicans, or Toby Keith.

Vaevictis
4/24/2009, 02:00 PM
Ah, jerk & Tuba, will you ever learn? You're trying to talk sense to godless liberals here; if you want us to be offended, stop with commie and Nazi angle and ask us how we'd feel if Ivins was wearing a Confederate flag t-shirt. OUTRAGE! :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410A3Z8SYCL._SS500_.jpg

I'M FREAKING OUT MAN, I'M FREAKING OUT!

badger
4/24/2009, 02:18 PM
thanks frozo - I realized after searching through that site a little that it was definitely put the N in NSFW.

Frozen Sooner
4/24/2009, 02:20 PM
No worries. I'm a bit more protective than most about making sure SF.com stays good on work filters. If it gets blacklisted, I actually have to be productive.

NormanPride
4/24/2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah, and **** that. :D

Boarder
4/24/2009, 03:04 PM
Dear Lord...you guys DO walk among us...I was hoping the representatives were just being knee-jerk and overly sensitive...but it's true. You actually care about a tshirt a guy from a band is wearing.

These guys have done more for OKC and Oklahoma promotion than anyone in this thread has. They even started doing their own New Year's Eve show in Oklahoma City, despite the fact they could do it LOTS of places and make more money.

Seriously, I wish some of you guys would get some perspective.

FREE SPEECH! FREE SPEECH! (...as long as you ONLY say things I personally agree with...)
What if I walked by you wearing a shirt that said, "OUMallen is an f'in c-sucking b who f's his mom"?

I mean, it's just a shirt and I'm free to wear it.

The "what if it was a swastika" line is perfect. All the dude had to do was wear a not-sickle shirt. That's it. It's an easy vote and we all move on. but noooo, let's poke some people with a stick who probably didn't even care one way or the other.

You really should direct some anger toward Lip guy.

OUMallen
4/24/2009, 04:17 PM
What if I walked by you wearing a shirt that said, "OUMallen is an f'in c-sucking b who f's his mom"?

I mean, it's just a shirt and I'm free to wear it.

The "what if it was a swastika" line is perfect. All the dude had to do was wear a not-sickle shirt. That's it. It's an easy vote and we all move on. but noooo, let's poke some people with a stick who probably didn't even care one way or the other.

You really should direct some anger toward Lip guy.

I'd think you were a weirdo, but I wouldn't attempt to punish you for it.

Swastika is a CURRENTLY USED symbol for skinheads and neo-nazis, a currently active hate group.

You don't hear much about dangerous commies anymore. That's a dispositive distinction for what you think is a good argument.

Although I will agree he garnered attention he didn't want for the shirt- sometimes the nail sticking out the farthest gets the hammer first...

C&CDean
4/24/2009, 04:23 PM

Swastika is a CURRENTLY USED symbol for skinheads and neo-nazis, a currently active hate group.

You don't hear much about dangerous commies anymore. That's a dispositive distinction for what you think is a good argument.

Although I will agree he garnered attention he didn't want for the shirt- sometimes the nail sticking out the farthest gets the hammer first...

Give it a rest. Your gods got their song (even though anything from Leon > Lips) in by your boy Henry. Be happy. It doesn't change the FACT that the guy is a ****ing moron for wearing it. I know, I know, all you little pissants just love ****ing with the man, being all anti-establishment, and thinking that you're the first generation to ever be cool like dat. You think you're the first generation of liberals who ever gave the establishment the finger. A big ol' heaping pile of MEH on you and your cronies.

King Crimson
4/24/2009, 04:31 PM
and thinking that you're the first generation to ever be cool like dat. You think you're the first generation of liberals who ever gave the establishment the finger.

that's a conceit the baby boomers usually reserve for themselves.

C&CDean
4/24/2009, 04:38 PM
that's a conceit the baby boomers usually reserve for themselves.

Nay. I'll give props to the zoot suiters, 50's rockers, and all the other generations before mine. Of course the baby boomers were the first ones who'd ever think of wearing a commie flag on their shirt or burning their draft card. So they do get most of the credit when it comes to being the first REALLY stupid, ignorant ****wads who thought they were groovy.

Jerk
4/24/2009, 05:05 PM

100 million dead, dumb****, and there are still many commies around, some here on this board.

OUMallen
Give it a rest. Your gods got their song (even though anything from Leon > Lips) in by your boy Henry. Be happy. It doesn't change the FACT that the guy is a ****ing moron for wearing it. I know, I know, all you little pissants just love ****ing with the man, being all anti-establishment, and thinking that you're the first generation to ever be cool like dat. You think you're the first generation of liberals who ever gave the establishment the finger. A big ol' heaping pile of MEH on you and your cronies.

Wow, you're just being an *******, Dean. I thought mods and admins were supposed to stay generally even-keel and not post derisive, insulting flameposts. But hey, I guess you wield the banehammer, so welcome to the Thunderdome.

You don't even know me, I'm not a liberal, nor am I a "little pissant." So, in the derisive, insulting nature of your post, you can stick it up your myopic, ignorant ***.

Vaevictis
I have here in my hand a list...

Frozen Sooner
4/24/2009, 05:07 PM
I thought mods and admins were supposed to stay generally even-keel and not post derisive, insulting flameposts.

Whoa, I must have missed something in the employee handbook.

Jerk
4/24/2009, 05:08 PM
F.uck this ****ing place. It is ate up with leftist **********s and marxists.

OUMallen
4/24/2009, 05:08 PM
"Hipster t shirt"?

100 million dead, bri.

Would you have given him a pass if it was a Swastika?

I'm not going to whine to mods about what you said on your negspek (I think we all like the spek back), but if you want to cuss and be tough, jsut put it out here for all of us to see.

OUMallen
4/24/2009, 05:10 PM
Whoa, I must have missed something in the employee handbook.

This is the only board where I've seen mods/admins joining the fray full-on...

Frozen Sooner
4/24/2009, 05:10 PM
F.uck this ****ing place. It is ate up with leftist **********s and marxists.

So long, and when the ballon goes up, the first person I see wearing a sickle and hammer shirt gets shot.

Jerk, take a break.

OUMallen
4/24/2009, 05:15 PM
Jerk, take a break.

I will too Froze. This issue certainly isn't a big enough deal to insult each other over. Y'all have a nice weekend and we'll catch you later! Go to the Arts Fest and eat some indian tacos. :D

Frozen Sooner
4/24/2009, 05:15 PM

Dude, if you think putting a label under his name is ever going to shut Dean up, you don't know Dean. Dean's been a poster at SF.com for over a decade and he's been posting the same way the whole time. I've been a poster here since 2000 and I've been posting the way I've been posting the whole time. Neither of us asked to be moderators, and neither of us were given any instructions from Phil to stop posting.

In a perfect world, yeah, I'd probably not make as much fun of people I think are posting idiocy as I do. I'm human and sometimes I get frustrated.

Frozen Sooner
4/24/2009, 05:17 PM
Jerk, take a break.

That wasn't a "you've been banned" message, by the way. Just some advice that you may want to take a few hours away from the board.

KC//CRIMSON
4/24/2009, 05:21 PM
News flash: Be on the look out for crazed truckers wielding assault rifles!

KABOOKIE
4/24/2009, 05:31 PM
Only if you're wearing a "I heart Commie" shirt.

picasso
4/24/2009, 06:51 PM
The Flaming Lips are symbol to the rest of the planet that there are Oklahomans who are nothing like Tuba, the House Republicans, or Toby Keith.

again. Toby Keith might dress like a goober and support the military but he's a registered Democrat!

I know if I was getting a painting hung in the capitol building I most certainly wouldn't roll in wearing Mao t-shirt.

Sooner04
4/24/2009, 07:10 PM
To me, it just shows a lack of respect.

Either that or he's trying to make a statement like Sinead when she ripped up the Pope's picture on Saturday Night Live.

olevetonahill
4/24/2009, 07:17 PM

Love em or hate em . Our Mods an Admins are Human to . They also have opinions and **** just like you:rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
4/24/2009, 07:30 PM
Love em or hate em . Our Mods an Admins are Human to . They also have opinions and **** just like you:rolleyes:

You guys climb on a 10-foot ladder and **** through a hoop too?

olevetonahill
4/24/2009, 07:37 PM
You guys climb on a 10-foot ladder and **** through a hoop too?

Real Men dont need the Ladder :P

Frozen Sooner
4/24/2009, 07:41 PM
Real Men dont need the Ladder :P

You can **** through a 10-foot hoop without one?

Your real name happen to be Blake?

Jerk
4/24/2009, 09:18 PM
Lets have a recap here since so many dumbasses have no clue

Cambodia killing fields
http://prescha.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/killing-fields.jpg

http://www.sethbarnes.com/blogphotos/sethbarnes/www/killing_fields.jpg

http://gryphonscry.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/killing-fields.jpg

China

http://www.libreopinion.com/members/memoriapamiat/42Asia.jpg

http://www.explorersweb.com/sitemedia/TSthumbs/everest/20080311xtibet7.jpg

http://www.libreopinion.com/members/memoriapamiat/48Tiannamen.jpg

http://www.lietuvos.net/istorija/communism/communism_photos2/34chino.jpg

http://www.moonbattery.com/china-communist-genocide.jpg

http://www.genocidecurriculum.org/photos/holodomor2.jpg

http://www.moonbattery.com/communist_genocide.jpg

Ukraine

http://www.libreopinion.com/members/memoriapamiat/holodomor.jpg

Other communist atrocities

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/communist_genocide.jpg

http://www.rnw.nl/images/assets/13945033

http://www.lietuvos.net/istorija/communism/communism_photos1/4Estonia1919.jpg

http://www.lietuvos.net/istorija/communism/communism_photos1/136millones.jpg

http://www.lietuvos.net/istorija/communism/communism_photos1/146millones.jpg

http://www.lietuvos.net/istorija/communism/communism_photos1/16lituano.jpg

http://www.lietuvos.net/istorija/communism/communism_photos1/18Lituania.jpg

http://truedemocracy.net/td-9/02.html

This could go on all night but you twits still wouldn't get it. So **** the mother****er who wore that shirt and **** anyone who supports him.

Yes, the day when anarchy and collapse comes, you had better not be caught wearing that goddamned shirt around here. You will be ventilated. With many .3" holes.

Jerk
4/24/2009, 09:42 PM
Now you guys can go back to believing that an all-powerful ruling class is a good thing and the federal government is a skittle sh*tting unicorn.

KC//CRIMSON
4/24/2009, 09:57 PM
See The Flaming Lips Honored In Oklahoma City This Tuesday!

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/brown/archives/FlamingLips.jpg

On Tuesday, April 28, at 2:00pm, the Oklahoma History Center will host a Gala event celebrating the signing of the executive order proclamation by Governor Brad Henry declaring “Do You Realize??” the OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA STATE ROCK SONG as well as FLAMING LIPS DAY in the great state of Oklahoma.

Statements will be made by Governor Brad Henry, Dr. Bob Blackburn, Executive Director of the Oklahoma History Center; Jill Simpson, Director of the Oklahoma Film and Music Commission, State Representative Joe Dorman, Senator Mike Schultz and of course, Wayne Coyne of THE FLAMING LIPS.

The Oklahoma History Center is located at 2300 N. Lincoln Blvd, and anyone is welcome to show up and show their support, so come on down.

Curly Bill
4/24/2009, 09:59 PM
In all fairness Jerk, if Mr Lip had worn a shirt with pictures of some of those dead folks on it, it wouldn't have nearly shown how cool he was. ;)

Jerk
4/24/2009, 10:12 PM
In all fairness Jerk, if Mr Lip had worn a shirt with pictures of some of those dead folks on it, it wouldn't have nearly shown how cool he was. ;)

The correct term is "hip," not "cool."

What most of these sympathizers here don't realize is that they would be the first ones up against the wall if they lived in a communist society.

Authoritarian leftists don't like competition.

Curly Bill
4/24/2009, 10:14 PM

What most of these sympathizers here don't realize is that they would be the first ones up against the wall if they lived in a communist society.

Well there ya go, I'm not even cool enough to know this. :O

Curly Bill
4/24/2009, 10:15 PM
...and I don't even have a Commie T-shirt...

...now that is un-hip.

Vaevictis
4/24/2009, 10:22 PM

Second, actually. They come for the guys with the guns first.

Curly Bill
4/24/2009, 10:26 PM

Saweeeet! Target practice!

olevetonahill
4/24/2009, 10:26 PM
http://jyte.com/cl/for-those-who-fought-for-it-freedom-has-a-flavor-that-the-protected-will-never-know
Nuff said
The Libs Have never had to fight the Oppressors :pop:

theresonly1OU
4/24/2009, 10:27 PM

Good, i'll give them my address; I've been aching to test the scope on my .50 rifle.

KC//CRIMSON
4/24/2009, 10:31 PM
I don't think I've ever seen anyone melt down over a t-shirt before. That has to be a first on this board.

theresonly1OU
4/24/2009, 10:32 PM
http://jyte.com/cl/for-those-who-fought-for-it-freedom-has-a-flavor-that-the-protected-will-never-know
Nuff said
The Libs Have never had to fight the Oppressors :pop:

Silly Vet.

You're forgetting the @$$hole at starbucks who forgot the foam on their chai-mocha-soy-half foam-latte.

Or the chick at the laundromat who frayed their turtleneck.

olevetonahill
4/24/2009, 10:33 PM

So then yer admitting that we are yer last line of Defense .

theresonly1OU
4/24/2009, 10:38 PM
I have here in my hand a list...

I see what you did there.

Alger Hiss would be proud.

olevetonahill
4/24/2009, 10:42 PM
I don't think I've ever seen anyone melt down over a t-shirt before. That has to be a first on this board.

Its Not the Shirt . Its the Ideology Behind the shirt

Personally I dont care If he wore a shirt that said he Loves to kill puppies
The Ideology behind it would Be WRONG
Jes sayin

Vaevictis
4/24/2009, 10:45 PM
So then yer admitting that we are yer last line of Defense .

And if the coin flips the other way, the first in line to oppress.

KC//CRIMSON
4/24/2009, 10:47 PM
Its Not the Shirt . Its the Ideology Behind the shirt

Personally I dont care If he wore a shirt that said he Loves to kill puppies
The Ideology behind it would Be WRONG
Jes sayin

Hey, I just saw a Pro-Choice bumper sticker. Should I freak out and start posting pictures of dead fetuses all over the board?

olevetonahill
4/24/2009, 10:50 PM
Hey, I just saw a Pro-Choice bumper sticker. Should I freak out and start posting pictures of dead fetuses all over the board?

Only If you detest the sight of Dead Babies :rolleyes:

theresonly1OU
Are we really pretending that this dou che tool just happened to wear a shirt that symbolizes everything our capitalistic government is opposed to the day he was slated to appear in front of the state legislature?

Really?

I guess then it would be OK to wear a Ku Klux Klan shirt to an Oprah taping.

Or a swastika shirt to temple.

After all, it's only a shirt, right?

Crucifax Autumn

Actually man, that IS the standard anti-abortion tactic.

theresonly1OU
4/24/2009, 10:55 PM

Those people are just plain fu**ing creepy.

KC//CRIMSON
4/24/2009, 10:59 PM

Yeah, I know. They flip out, which was kind of the point.

Vaevictis
4/24/2009, 11:01 PM
See, here's the thing guys. You know why I don't pay attention when musicians and artists do this ****? The guy probably doesn't care about the symbol, or communism.

He probably just wanted to **** some people off and get folks talking about the Flaming Lips.

Mission accomplished.

Crucifax Autumn
4/24/2009, 11:16 PM
Everyone always flips out on everything.

But sometimes they flip out for good reasons.

Other times they go off on something legit and someone ELSE flips out.

Eventually everyone flips out and...

"What we've got here is failure to
communicate.
Some men you just can't reach...
So, you get what we had here last week,
which is the way he wants it!
Well, he gets it!
N' I don't like it any more than you men."

SteelCitySooner
4/24/2009, 11:18 PM
It's attention getting.. Poor class, and very poor taste, but that's what it is.

Curly Bill
4/24/2009, 11:19 PM
E9VhD4SccSE

yermom
4/24/2009, 11:20 PM
Now you guys can go back to believing that an all-powerful ruling class is a good thing and the federal government is a skittle sh*tting unicorn.

because the bankers and corporations have done a bangup job the last few years...

Communism isn't about dictators, in theory, it's about populism and was a reaction to authoritarian governments

of course, like anything else it's been perverted by people with too much power

one could subscribe to the ideas of Communism without supporting the regimes you are describing. Communists are just one end of the spectrum. as far as i know there isn't anyone on this board that could even be described that way.

has the guy even said anything behind his reasoning for wearing the shirt?

Crucifax Autumn
4/24/2009, 11:22 PM
Remember...After Luke says that line the posse shoots him!

Curly Bill
4/24/2009, 11:23 PM
1fuDDqU6n4o

leavingthezoo
4/24/2009, 11:48 PM
it must've been that OTHER soonerfans where immediately following the election those who disapproved threw up socialist flags (including the very terrible one seen on this stupid t-shirt).

olevetonahill
4/24/2009, 11:54 PM
it must've been that OTHER soonerfans where immediately following the election those who disapproved threw up socialist flags (including the very terrible one seen on this stupid t-shirt).

Parallel Universe ;)

leavingthezoo
4/24/2009, 11:57 PM
Parallel Universe ;)

... and stupid in both. ;)

olevetonahill
4/24/2009, 11:58 PM
... and Drunk in both. ;)

Fixed ;)

Mixer!
4/25/2009, 12:23 AM
You don't hear much about dangerous commies anymore.
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3633/kimcrew.png (http://img441.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kimcrew.png)

:pop:

picasso
4/25/2009, 12:30 AM
this reminds of the painting I did of a JU-87 Stuka dive bomber. I put it up at a few shows with mixed remarks from the public. However, last fall I was asked why I painted said painting by a 60ish Russian man.
After telling him it was just an illustration and nothing more, he went on to tell me the carnage said plane had wreaked on his home and eastern Europe. I already knew this but it kinda hit home.

Sure this is just a t-shirt, but it was worn in our state capital by someone being recognized. You guys are bat **** crazy if you think it wasn't going to get a reaction.

SicEmBaylor
4/25/2009, 01:06 AM

Why on Earth does everyone always assume the legislature has more important things to do? By God, I'm glad they're wasting time on the useless and mundane...it keeps them busy from doing something ****ty that has consequences.

bri
4/25/2009, 03:01 AM
See The Flaming Lips Honored In Oklahoma City This Tuesday!

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/brown/archives/FlamingLips.jpg

On Tuesday, April 28, at 2:00pm, the Oklahoma History Center will host a Gala event celebrating the signing of the executive order proclamation by Governor Brad Henry declaring “Do You Realize??” the OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA STATE ROCK SONG as well as FLAMING LIPS DAY in the great state of Oklahoma.

Statements will be made by Governor Brad Henry, Dr. Bob Blackburn, Executive Director of the Oklahoma History Center; Jill Simpson, Director of the Oklahoma Film and Music Commission, State Representative Joe Dorman, Senator Mike Schultz and of course, Wayne Coyne of THE FLAMING LIPS.

The Oklahoma History Center is located at 2300 N. Lincoln Blvd, and anyone is welcome to show up and show their support, so come on down.

Oh, great. Now Jerk knows where to start the killin'. Nice work, *sshole! :D

Chuck Bao
4/25/2009, 06:57 AM
I have no idea what the Flaming Lips guy had in mind by wearing the hammer and sickle.

Some of you may see it as bringing the symbol of the hated enemy into the Oklahoma state capitol building by a member of a rock band that is supposed to represent the state. I get that.

In my own small way of thinking, the hammer and sickle symbol is already a discarded cliche, an oddity, or possibly even an important step in the human development story.

The symbol for workers was a reaction to the industrial revolution and pretty egregious conditions imposed on the working class at that time. Read Grapes of Wrath again if you need a refresher on how difficult it was for our grandparents.

Communism was a failure. It will always be a failure. We are not going down that road again unless something cataclysmic drops us 200 years back in industrial production and we are again forging iron with a hammer and harvesting our wheat with a scythe.

Our current world is run by capital.

You can say that capitalism, flow of capital and capital markets have run amok and there will be a backlash and I think there will be. But, the common everyday guy and gal cannot have their jobs without the capital in this “new economy”, even if that capital is just freshly printed money by the US government to support our paper thin economy.

This may be a new step in our development story and it may be another major false step.

In my opinion, the bigger threat is that capital runs the political system in a reverse takeover. The old money and old shareholders die, while the new private shareholders brought in are going to control a sizeable chuck of the American economy and will have a very large say in how it is run. This is the new game of the century. Fascism is scarier to me than that failed notion of communism.

I have no idea what the dude meant by wearing the t-shirt. I don’t think it was either hip or subversive. It could have been stupid or silly. Regardless, I don’t see it as threatening or particularly newsworthy.

And, Jerk, Cambodia under Pol Pot wasn’t communism. It was just bat**** crazy idea of taking a whole country back to year zero with a solely agrarian society, so they had to officially drop the hammer, so to speak. Okay, bad pun. ;)

OUHOMER
4/25/2009, 07:24 AM
well, i just listen to the song and I dont think it deserved to be the state RR song. Not that it was a bad song, just didn't do anything for me.

I guess i am an old school RR.

olevetonahill
4/25/2009, 07:58 AM
And if the coin flips the other way, the first in line to oppress.

which begs to say
Have ya ever heard me say I wanta keep ya down ?
Dint think so :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
4/25/2009, 08:07 AM
Dayum Commies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIPv9AtZ2zE

Jerk
4/25/2009, 09:24 AM
Oh, great. Now Jerk knows where to start the killin'. Nice work, *sshole! :D

Well, I was pretty drunk last night, and pretty pissed off. I'm not going to go kill random people wearing sickle and hammer shirts.

But, theoretically, if there was ever a Civil War 2, and it was hard to tell who is one whos' side, then those shirts would make target identification much easier.

Just saying

yermom
4/25/2009, 10:05 AM
well, i just listen to the song and I dont think it deserved to be the state RR song. Not that it was a bad song, just didn't do anything for me.

i like the Lips and the song, but i can totally see where someone could have genre issues with the song being picked

i don't think it's very rockin' either

bri
4/25/2009, 11:12 AM
Well, I was pretty drunk last night, and pretty pissed off. I'm not going to go kill random people wearing sickle and hammer shirts.

But, theoretically, if there was ever a Civil War 2, and it was hard to tell who is one whos' side, then those shirts would make target identification much easier.

Just saying

Kinda like a practical application of the Star Trek "redshirt" rule?

Comrade, over here! I found something! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH! :D

Mixer!
4/25/2009, 11:17 AM
Online voting is a pretty dubious means to select a winner. How do we know that some Lips fans from out of state didn't load the vote to their favor?

OklaPony
4/25/2009, 11:34 AM
Online voting is a pretty dubious means to select a winner. How do we know that some Lips fans from out of state didn't load the vote to their favor?
Probably MoveOn.0rg that did it...

;)

mikeelikee
4/25/2009, 11:47 AM

I'm wit' ya, Homer. I just listened to it on YouTube, and was underwhelmed, to put it mildly. Pretty lame, when you consider all the legitimate musical talent, including R&R, that this state has produced. I guess it's fitting that our beloved Governor Gump issued an "executive order" to name it thusly, by fiat. Sheesh!!

bri
4/25/2009, 12:19 PM
I'm wit' ya, Homer. I just listened to it on YouTube, and was underwhelmed, to put it mildly. Pretty lame, when you consider all the legitimate musical talent, including R&R, that this state has produced. I guess it's fitting that our beloved Governor Gump issued an "executive order" to name it thusly, by fiat. Sheesh!!

Well, seeing as how the majority of Oklahoma citizens who voted in the poll picked it, and the resolution passed the Senate 49-0, and it actually won the House vote but fell three votes short of ratification, I don't really think this is being forced on you "by fiat". Nice try at indignation, though.

OUAlumni1990
4/25/2009, 12:55 PM
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I'm glad they got voted down. I hate the Flaming Lips and anyone that listens to that band is ghey.

KC//CRIMSON
4/25/2009, 01:29 PM
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I'm glad they got voted down. I hate the Flaming Lips and anyone that listens to that band is ghey.

http://prudz.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/fail-bop.jpg

Getem
4/25/2009, 01:38 PM

Ditto. 3.6 million people in this state, and we let 10k stoners pick the state rock song. If we're going to select an official state ANYTHING by vote, it should be on an official ballot. This song is like something a high school band would make up, and has nothing to do with Oklahoma. Put to a REAL statewide vote, it would probably get the same (10k) number of votes. Or less, because voter registration is like so unhip, y'know

Vaevictis
4/25/2009, 02:13 PM
which begs to say
Have ya ever heard me say I wanta keep ya down ?
Dint think so :rolleyes:

You personally? No. But it's not like a bunch of armed civilians running amok hasn't ended badly before. See the French Revolution for an example.

mikeelikee
4/25/2009, 02:23 PM
Well, seeing as how the majority of Oklahoma citizens who voted in the poll picked it, and the resolution passed the Senate 49-0, and it actually won the House vote but fell three votes short of ratification, I don't really think this is being forced on you "by fiat". Nice try at indignation, though.

I don't have to try very hard to be indignant these days, with the idiot neo-socialists we have running our government at several levels. And by the way, IMO the song still sucks.

Boarder
4/25/2009, 10:33 PM
Matt from Stardeath and the White Dwarves had a pretty funny shirt on tonight. :D

GottaHavePride
4/26/2009, 12:12 AM
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3633/kimcrew.png (http://img441.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kimcrew.png)

:pop:

He's not dangerous. He's wee. Frickin' wee. Put your palm on his forehead and let him swing his arms all he wants, he'll never be able to reach.

;)

Frozen Sooner
4/26/2009, 12:16 AM
I can post in threads after they're locked.

This makes my wiener HUGE!

GottaHavePride
4/26/2009, 12:33 AM
HUGE!

Wait, what?

Frozen Sooner
4/26/2009, 01:07 AM
http://content6.flixster.com/question/55/75/40/5575408_std.jpg

GO CRAY ON YER WEE PILLAH WITH YER GIGANTIC HEED!