PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the Nations top Coaches - Rivals

JLEW1818
4/22/2009, 01:11 PM
It's Urban Meyer's world. Everyone else is just coaching in it.
Meyer has enjoyed a meteoric rise to the top of this chart. When this decade dawned, Meyer was the wide receivers coach at Notre Dame under Bob Davie. Meyer went on to coach Bowling Green for two years (17-6 record), Utah for two seasons (22-2) and is entering his fifth season at Florida (45-9).

Meyer has two BCS titles in the past three seasons, and his Gators figure to be the overwhelming favorite to win another national championship this season.

When will Meyer get bored by all of this and scamper off to the NFL? Or perhaps he'll be lured to Notre Dame, his "dream job," and restore the Irish to national prominence.

Whatever is in his future, know this: It's good being Urban Meyer, college football's coaching king.

The top 30 coaches:

1. Urban Meyer, Florida. Two BCS titles in three seasons, with another in his sights.

2. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma. No coach can match his four BCS title game appearances.

3. Nick Saban, Alabama. First, he made LSU a national power. Now, Saban has Alabama poised to be the nation's top program.

4. Pete Carroll, USC. No program dominates its conference more. The only thing missing? More BCS titles.

5. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa. He has won big with talent that annually ranks no better than fourth in his league – at best – each season.

6. Mack Brown, Texas. To whom much is given, much is expected. And Brown has delivered.

7. Jim Grobe, Wake Forest. Honestly, if this guy were coaching at, say, Texas, how many national titles would he have?

8. Brian Kelly, Cincinnati. He was at his best last fall, tiptoeing around myriad quarterback injuries to lead the Bearcats to the Big East title.

9. Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech. He took a simple idea of building a program around defense and special teams – and "Beamerball" – and created a perennial power.

10. Mark Richt, Georgia. His résumé only lacks a national title. And you know one is coming.

11. Rich Rodriguez, Michigan. Not only has he won big, RichRod has helped change the sport with his offense.

12. Mike Riley, Oregon State. He is proof that nice guys don't finish last … and that you can go home again.

13. Jim Tressel, Ohio State. Is he the best coach in Buckeyes history?

14. Tom O'Brien, N.C. State. He's a throwback coach who wins with toughness, discipline and lots of smarts.

15. Joe Paterno, Penn State. Perhaps his best trait at this stage of his career is knowing how to delegate.

16. Kyle Whittingham, Utah. He has taken what Urban Meyer built and made it better.

17. Houston Nutt, Ole Miss. He's an underrated offensive mind who has a knack for getting players to reach their potential.

18. Gary Patterson, TCU. He's a defensive mastermind whose program is every bit as good as most in the Big 12.

19. Mark Mangino, Kansas. He has done the impossible, making Jayhawks football a nationally respected program.

20. Randy Edsall, Connecticut. There isn't a more underrated coach in the nation than Edsall, a smart taskmaster who finds ways to win.

21. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina. He has lost some luster, but Spurrier still is an offensive genius.

22. Mike Leach, Texas Tech. Perhaps no coach means more to his school than Leach, whose offenses have revolutionized the sport.

23. Greg Schiano, Rutgers. He inherited one of the worst programs in America and made it into a likeness of himself – strong, tough and good.

24. Jeff Tedford, California. The offensive wiz has done everything but lead the Golden Bears to the Pac-10 championship.

25. Dennis Erickson, Arizona State. Erickson, who has won two national titles, yearns to finish his career with a bang.

26. Gary Pinkel, Missouri. It was just a matter of time before he imposed his iron will on this program, as he did at Toledo.

27. Jim Leavitt, USF. He has built something out of nothing, making USF a Big East power.

28. Les Miles, LSU. The "Hat" has done enough to prove he belongs among the nation's elite.

29. Chris Petersen, Boise State. The cerebral Petersen understands how to find talent to fit his schemes.

30. Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech. He's about ready to change the way we thought you could win in big-time football.

Others: Chris Ault, Nevada; Bobby Bowden, Florida State; Art Briles, Baylor; Rich Brooks, Kentucky; Troy Calhoun, Air Force; Mark Dantonio, Michigan State; Butch Davis, North Carolina; Todd Graham, Tulsa; Al Groh, Virginia; Jim Harbaugh, Stanford; Pat Hill, Fresno State; Brady Hoke, San Diego State; Skip Holtz, East Carolina; Bobby Johnson, Vanderbilt; June Jones, SMU; Steve Kragthorpe, Louisville; Bronco Mendenhall, BYU; Rick Neuheisel, UCLA; Bobby Petrino, Arkansas.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=937921

JLEW1818
4/22/2009, 01:12 PM
I like how rivals recognizes that Stoops has been to the big game 4 times this decade. I'll take 1-3 in National Championships every decade!!!!

ouleaf
4/22/2009, 01:51 PM
Wow, it's like the ranked their Top 10 and after that it seems like they pulled names out of a hat, b/c a lot of these don't make sense.

Kirk Ferentz at 5? WTF?

Mark Richt at 10? Should be way lower IMO

Leach at 22? Should be higher

Dennis Erickson? Hasn't been relevant since his Miami days.

No Turner Gill?

No Bo Pelini?

badger
4/22/2009, 02:04 PM
6. Macc Brown, Texaz. To whom much is given, much is expected. And Brown has delivered excuses.

Fixed

soonervegas
4/22/2009, 02:08 PM
I don't know what is a bigger joke Kirk Frentz at #5 or Tressel at #13.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/22/2009, 02:16 PM
No Gundy?! This list is a joke...

Widescreen
4/22/2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah, Ferentz being anywhere on that list is laughable. But at #5? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

NormanPride
4/22/2009, 02:41 PM
5. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa. He has won big with talent that annually ranks no better than fourth in his league – at best – each season.

Wow. This guy continues to fail monumentally and gets nothing but praise for it. He must have major dirt on everyone in power.

badger
4/22/2009, 02:42 PM
Give him some kudos. He did only what USC could do last year - beat Penn State :P

OU_Sooners75
4/22/2009, 03:02 PM
Though Ubran Meyer has enjoyed some very early success...

I for one do not think he is the best coach in the country.
Anyone can go to Florida and recruit the players he has. Anyone can go to Florida and win games. And with that gimmick offense that he employs, he can do so fancifully.

It is not certain, but IMHO, he is having help in recruiting from outside sources, like boosters, greenbacks and other things. I will not say this with certainty though. Just think something is up with him being able to land all these big time recruits honestly.

JLEW1818
4/22/2009, 03:27 PM
The list is kinda shady. Joe P not in the top 10 is a joke.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/22/2009, 03:28 PM

Anyone can go to Florida and recruit the players he has. Anyone can go to Florida and win games. And with that gimmick offense that he employs, he can do so fancifully.

It is not certain, but IMHO, he is having help in recruiting from outside sources, like boosters, greenbacks and other things. I will not say this with certainty though. Just think something is up with him being able to land all these big time recruits honestly.

Yeah! Who in the world would want to play for Florida?!? Not to mention it's an awful state! :rolleyes:

badger
4/22/2009, 03:31 PM
Anyone can go to Florida and recruit the players he has. Anyone can go to Florida and win games.

cept the zooker :D

goingoneight
4/22/2009, 04:05 PM

No different than any other power program, really. I don't know that I buy into all the aggy-like conspiracy theories... Have you ever been to Gainesville? Not a hard sale for a recruiter... Neither is winning like UM does.
I do think, however that this list is a flavor of the month list though. Watch Stoops, Brown, Carroll or even Tressell win it all again and they'll be the "king."
Truth be told, is the best coach in college football at a power house program?

JLEW1818
4/22/2009, 04:20 PM
He has him 2 BCS Titles in 3 years. He is the best "current" coach.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/22/2009, 04:39 PM
He has him 2 BCS Titles in 3 years. He is the best "current" coach.

I agree but that's not why.

Sco
4/22/2009, 04:55 PM
Wonder if *Mack* is going to give up his subscription to Rivals after these rankings, since they did beat Oklahoma last year and all...

Harry Beanbag
4/22/2009, 05:13 PM
Anyone can go to Florida and recruit the players he has. Anyone can go to Florida and win games.

Explain why they've never done anything without Spurrier or Meyer then.

SteelClip49
4/22/2009, 05:30 PM
Florida was relevant before Spurrier. 1984-1985 they went 18-2-2 and were in prime shape to win the title in 1984 until they were caught by the NCAA late and had to vacate the SEC Title.

jumperstop
4/22/2009, 07:18 PM
top 4 look good to me, but after that the list is really random.

Kirk Ferentz is at number 5 for winning big games at Iowa, but Jim Tressel is 13 and wins the big 10 every year. and as much as I hate Less Miles he deserves to be higher than 28. wtf

stupid list.

yermom
4/22/2009, 07:36 PM
too many Johnny-come-latelys on that list

not to mention a good deal of crack smoking

TXBOOMER
4/22/2009, 08:00 PM
I can't argue with the list. After we add #8 this year I'm all for moving Bob back to #1. I like Leavitt better than 23 and Mangino better than 19.

Harry Beanbag
4/22/2009, 10:43 PM
Florida was relevant before Spurrier. 1984-1985 they went 18-2-2 and were in prime shape to win the title in 1984 until they were caught by the NCAA late and had to vacate the SEC Title.

They never won one title, conference or national before Spurrier came back to coach them. They had pretty good years in 84 and 85 though, what about their first 80 years of football?

badger
4/23/2009, 07:22 AM
They never won one title, conference or national before Spurrier came back to coach them. They had pretty good years in 84 and 85 though, what about their first 80 years of football?

They had a Heisman winner at Florida before Spurrier coached there :P

Spray
4/23/2009, 07:24 AM

Ron Zook.

yermom
4/23/2009, 07:53 AM
They had a Heisman winner at Florida before Spurrier coached there :P

Spurrier doesn't count :D

KingBarry
4/23/2009, 08:57 AM
Look, Urban Meyer is a very good coach. There's really no way to deny it.

The top 5 coaches right now are probably (in no particular order) Stoops, Meyer, Tressel, that guy at USC and Gundy. Alright, someone that's not Gundy.

But really, how can you objectively pick between them?

If Mr Stoops had gone 2-2 in BCS Title games, and had kept Boise State out of the end zone on any of those trick plays -- he would be far and away the best coach of the past decade. (Especially if one of those BCS title games had been a little closer.)

But let's face it, he's turned in some lackluster bowl performances, and so he probably doesn't deserve the top slot. I think Meyer is a pretty strong candidate.

But how do you compare a Meyer with a Paterno? I mean, Paterno was winning big when Meyer was a zygote, or at least close enough to it I'm not looking up birthdates to confirm it.

In terms of greatness, no doubt Paterno is vastly greater. But if I want a guy to win me a national title this year, I have to take Meyer. If I want a guy to guide me to multiple titles in the next 15 years, no question I don't pick the 105 yr old in PA.

The_Red_Patriot
4/23/2009, 09:07 AM
Les Miles @ 28 is a joke...he deserves to be in the top 10.

I hate him but that man can coach.

badger
4/23/2009, 09:29 AM
Spurrier doesn't count :D

Why not?!?! You know without Steve Spurrier, they might never have started giving Heismans to the athlete recipients AND the athlete's school!

I know we are required to hate Florida for awhile, but Spurrier was Stoops' mentor, so it is OK to give kudos to Spurrier because he's a Gamecock now.

Harry Beanbag
4/23/2009, 09:45 AM
Ron Zook
Jack Forsythe
G.E. Pyle
Charles McCoy
A.L. Busser
William Kline
J.A. VanFleet
H.L. Sebring
Charles Bachman
D.K. Stanley
Josh Cody
Thoms Lieb
Raymond Wolf
George Woodruff
Ray Graves
Doug Dickey
Charley Pell
Galen Hall
Gary Darnell

Fixed. This is a list of every head coach at Florida that never won so much as a conference championship during the first 80+ years of their program.

The Remnant
4/23/2009, 11:32 AM
What? No Charlie Weis? After his first year he was deemed one of the greatest coaches of all time.

flopshotjoe99
4/23/2009, 11:36 AM
The list is kinda shady. Joe P not in the top 10 is a joke.

Joe P hasn't worn a headset or carried a clipboard in years, he's just a figure head.;)

goingoneight
4/23/2009, 05:54 PM
He has been hit twice on the sidelines the last four years... I'll give him his due.

JLEW1818
4/23/2009, 06:03 PM
Joe may not be the best coach in the world... but he does have the most wins ever. That is top 10, no questions asked.

ashley
4/23/2009, 07:43 PM
I hate to say this but Miles should be higher. I was at Penn State two years ago and you would be very surprised how active Joe P. is in the day to day stuff and you would be shocked to watch him at practice. Very involved and everyone knows who the man is at PS. He is as active as a man that age could be. I was surprised.

OU_Sooners75
4/23/2009, 09:03 PM
cept the zooker :D

Zooker recruited the players for Meyers first MNC.

He may not have won the games at such a quick pace as Meyers, but he never had a losing record at Florida either.

badger
4/24/2009, 07:20 AM
he never had a losing record at Florida either.

Yeaaaah, like THAT argument would ever fly in the mighty S-E-C! S-E-C! :D

SteelClip49
4/24/2009, 10:10 AM
Less Smiles is a good coach but he is nowhere in the top 10. He showed his true colors with the majority of his players last season. If he can win 10 (before the bowl) this season then I will give him top 10 status.

badger
4/24/2009, 10:30 AM
Less Smiles is a good coach but he is nowhere in the top 10. He showed his true colors with the majority of his players last season. If he can win 10 (before the bowl) this season then I will give him top 10 status.

Lester the Molester is recruiting Texas pretty hard now, which is leading to A&M downward spiral (their speculation, not mine) so basically we're gonna see A&M caliber talent at LSU under a better coach than Fran Fran and Shermanator... which tee hee giggle giggle, will not lead to SEC championships, not with Nick Satan taking all the top talent in the region just a little bit further east and Corch Irvin Meyers winning in the Swampie.

The SEC better continue scheduling sissy non-conference opponents, because once the conference schedule starts, crash and burn! You all have top caliber coaches (well, most of you - haha Auburn!) and you can't ALL win! There has to be a loser in every game and there's a 50 percent chance it'll be you!

Sirus
4/24/2009, 01:01 PM
Putting the Ol' Mackster at 6th will not sit right with the orange burps.
There may be a banner party in the planning.