PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma School of Science and Math Needs Your Help!

OUMallen
4/22/2009, 09:17 AM
http://www.supportossm.org/save-the-funds/

As part of the development around 11th and Lincoln (OUHSC area, too), the Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics over the past 15 some-odd years has turned a once-neglected area into a gem of a campus, saving the Lincoln Elementary School in the process. OSSM currently seeks to continue the development of its campus at 11th and Lincoln. OSSM is one of OKC's and OK's crown jewels, as it consistently ranks at the TOP nationally in rankings. (My graduation year, we had the highest composite ACT score in the country. Out of EVERY school, including other magnet schools in NY, TX, FL, CA, etc. OSSM is truly an incredible institution.)

OSSM has raised private donations to complete a doubling of its capacity in students. The state legislature has promised to match the funds, allowing the shovel-ready project to commence. However, the state has dragged its feet for SO LONG (years, in fact) that several parties are ASKING FOR THEIR DONATIONS BACK.

Support OSSM Ten Minutes Can Keep $1.2 Million Dollars from being Lost- http://www.supportossm.org/save-the-funds/

General OSSM info: http://www.ossm.edu

This is an OKC development issue as well as an educational issue. Please take a moment to check out the link

Thanks!!
Mallen

OUMallen
4/22/2009, 10:25 AM
Done.

Double thanks.

olevetonahill
4/22/2009, 10:35 AM
Got a ?
If they only 1/2 full , Why they need more room ?:confused:

OUMallen
4/22/2009, 10:38 AM
Got a ?
If they only 1/2 full , Why they need more room ?:confused:

I'm confused...OSSM takes as many kids as they can handle every year...operating at near capacity all the time (there is always a little attrition).

olevetonahill
4/22/2009, 10:40 AM
1st Para
Did you know that the Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics can accommodate double the number of students currently enrolled

See what I mean ? Im not being a smartass this time, Im really :confused:

OUMallen
4/22/2009, 10:46 AM
Oh I see what you mean. Our current classroom space can handle it, and I think the current faculty can handle it, too, maybe with a few minor changes, but the dorms are full. The dorms were built "shovel-ready" to add two additional dorm-wings. They still are ready, the state just hasn't given us the money they've promised for years. Now the private donors as ASKING FOR THEIR MONEY BACK. Not that I blame them so much- they want to see their education charity put to use, not sitting in an account waiting on the state to finally appropriate promised money.

Logistically we're ready to give world-class education (not exaggerating) to twice as many Oklahoma students as we currently are...but they don't have a place to sleep. :)

olevetonahill
4/22/2009, 10:54 AM
Then they Cant " Accommodate " twice as many .

Heres a solution
http://www.iraqstory.net/images/gallery/Tent_city_street.jpg
Just Kiddin
Ill do the email thingy now .:D

OUMallen
4/22/2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks Vet!

And the tents would be a nice addition. There's already a tall perimeter fence...all it would be missing would be a few guard towers. ;)

badger
4/22/2009, 11:16 AM
Done.

OUMallen
4/22/2009, 04:00 PM
Last bump of the day.

sitzpinkler
4/22/2009, 04:02 PM
I emailed all of them.

Senator Halligan already replied back. He basically said to email Governor Henry.

jkjsooner
4/22/2009, 08:52 PM
I'm all for giving our brightest a great education and this is a step to keeping the state competitive. However, when they say our educational system is a failure they usually don't mean that it fails the top 2%.

They've got a good thing going but we really need to improve educational opportunities for the average student.

Just throwing out random thoughts....

I'm just glad those twerps are no longer crawling around the OU campus like they were 15-20 years ago....

Fraggle145
4/23/2009, 01:39 AM
Done. Good Jorb Mallen, anything to further science ed.

yermom
4/23/2009, 08:26 AM
I'm all for giving our brightest a great education and this is a step to keeping the state competitive. However, when they say our educational system is a failure they usually don't mean that it fails the top 2%.

They've got a good thing going but we really need to improve educational opportunities for the average student.

Just throwing out random thoughts....

I'm just glad those twerps are no longer crawling around the OU campus like they were 15-20 years ago....

yeah, i think they used to live in the Cross dorms back inna day

i can kinda see your point about the average student, but this is also denying capable students of this opportunity. plus this money was already promised to the school, it's not like they are asking for new money...

OUMallen
4/23/2009, 09:06 AM
yeah, i think they used to live in the Cross dorms back inna day

i can kinda see your point about the average student, but this is also denying capable students of this opportunity. plus this money was already promised to the school, it's not like they are asking for new money...

Yup, we all lived in Cross Center C. My class was the first class to graduate that had lived in the dorms.

badger
4/23/2009, 09:41 AM
I emailed all of them.

Senator Halligan already replied back. He basically said to email Governor Henry.

Would you be dear and post what he sent you here please? :)

SteelClip49
4/23/2009, 11:00 AM
a little off topic but related to OSSM. Are they part of the OSSAA and if so, what class are they? Or are they an independent like Casady?

OUMallen
4/23/2009, 12:07 PM

That's his standard response right now, but it's not the correct one. He's passing the buck a little.

The money has ALWAYS been promised from normal state coffers and that's from where it has been authorized to be appropriated. He's attempting to push the burden onto the federal stimulus money...not that I blame him for trying that, but he's implying that he's not interested in funding the dorms. Which is scary. I've been getting the run around from Halligan, the governor's office, the Treasurer's office, you name it. Maybe this is par for the course, but it's frustrating.

OUMallen
4/23/2009, 12:09 PM
a little off topic but related to OSSM. Are they part of the OSSAA and if so, what class are they? Or are they an independent like Casady?

My understanding is: OSSM is not technically under the Dept of Education. I believe it's technically its own state agency. OSSM isn't a part of OSSAA and doesn't compete interscholastically. However, the individual students are allowed to compete for their "home high schools" if they can, but the time and geographical restraints of OSSM generally preclude this.

sitzpinkler
4/23/2009, 04:40 PM

here ya go:

Shane:

This will be a difficult budget year. I recommend you share your views with the Governor’s office.

Jim Halligan

OUMallen
4/23/2009, 05:48 PM
That's not very promising.