PDA

View Full Version : It is not OU-TX anymore

AzianSooner
4/21/2009, 09:34 PM
The next time OU and Texas play show down in football, it will be the University of the great state of Oklahoma of the United States of America versus The University of the Republic of Texas.

It's for the World Champion now not MNC anymore.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/04/20/ron-paul-secession/

OUAlumni1990
4/21/2009, 10:20 PM
I guess this means I'll need a visa to cross the river now :(

It also means my parents will be "foreigners" when they come visit :(

Crucifax Autumn
4/21/2009, 10:25 PM
A texass by any other name would suck as bad...

OUDoc
4/22/2009, 08:04 AM
What an ego that state has.

badger
4/22/2009, 08:05 AM
Pbbbth, we all know that Texaz would lose if they declared Civil War on the U.S. The mighty SEC did that awhile back and they lost, and we all know SEC > All other football.

OUAlumni1990
4/22/2009, 08:11 AM
What an ego that state has.

yep, I only live here for the paycheck, I'm still an Okie. :)

olevetonahill
4/22/2009, 09:04 AM

So yer sayin yer a whore ?

BornandBred
4/22/2009, 09:14 AM

Leaving Norman was a tough thing, but I'm glad I did. It gives me a lot of perspective on life in OK. For example, when I lived in OK I got overwhelmed with the Native American culture, now I miss it. I never thought I would.

I don't think I'll ever live in OK again, but I'll always be an Okie.

ouleaf
4/22/2009, 09:46 AM
Texas is not going to secede. Don't think that Paul or Perry speak for all of us. I think what they are doing with this secession talk is nothing more than to create a buzz as election time nears next year, especially Perry. I think his days as Governor are up.

BornandBred
4/22/2009, 09:58 AM
First, Ron Paul is a crazy person. Period. Second, what Perry said wasn't nearly as bad as what people are making it out to be. And the cries of treason, unamerican, etc are baseless. This country was founded on people mistrusting the government and always questioning it. Regardless of your politics it's your responsibility as an American to question the government. If they don't do what you want, change it. The founders built it that way.

OUAlumni1990
4/22/2009, 10:29 AM
Leaving Norman was a tough thing, but I'm glad I did. It gives me a lot of perspective on life in OK. For example, when I lived in OK I got overwhelmed with the Native American culture, now I miss it. I never thought I would.

ditto

I wouldn't mind moving back to OK, but it ain't happening anytime soon. Besides, my preference really is to live somewhere exotic near the ocean. But Houston will have to do for now until I can afford to do that...

OUAlumni1990
4/22/2009, 10:53 AM
So yer sayin yer a whore ?

Well, when a company offers you a salary in Texas that some VP's in Ok can't enough touch, what would you do?

jumperstop
4/22/2009, 10:59 AM
this is one of the dumbest things ever. everyone who is defending this is also dumb. the way our government works is people vote for represenatives, then they make decisions for the country. texas got thier fair say, and now thier going to bitch and cry about obama. not everyone is going to like what the president or the federal government is doing all the time, but to compare this with the american revolution...come on.
obama is neither tyranical, or oppressive. and everything that he is doing is being passed in congress as well. theoretically he has the majority of the public's represenatives behind him. so texas has no legit reason to suceed.

basically what i'm saying is texas sucks.

olevetonahill
4/22/2009, 11:06 AM
Well, when a company offers you a salary in *Texas* that some VP's in Ok can't enough touch, what would you do?

Guess I shoulda done the Smiley thing :rolleyes:
But Heres what Id do before I lived in saxet :P
http://my514.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/will_work_for_food.jpg

StoopTroup
4/22/2009, 01:05 PM
Well, when a company offers you a salary in *Texas* that some VP's in Ok can't enough touch, what would you do?

Money isn't everything...football is.

Priorities man...

OUAlumni1990
4/22/2009, 02:25 PM
dang your both right

CORNholio
4/22/2009, 03:54 PM
hell I say we join them

RedRum
4/22/2009, 05:33 PM
Someone should wear a Union uniform to OU/Texas game this year and hold a sign that says "Dear Texas, try it."

Jerk
4/22/2009, 08:38 PM
Someone should wear a Union uniform to OU/*Texas* game this year and hold a sign that says "Dear *Texas*, try it."

Or else what? Are we going to send a convey of panzies in smart cars to stop them? Most Americans just want to watch American Idol and update their myspace.

Personally I think we'd be better off if the red states and the blue states split.

jkjsooner
4/22/2009, 08:41 PM
First, Ron Paul is a crazy person. Period. Second, what Perry said wasn't nearly as bad as what people are making it out to be. And the cries of treason, unamerican, etc are baseless. This country was founded on people mistrusting the government and always questioning it. Regardless of your politics it's your responsibility as an American to question the government. If they don't do what you want, change it. The founders built it that way.

1. Questioning or trying to change the government and talking secession are two different matters altogether.

2. I agree with most of what you said so long as it's applied to both sides - liberals questioning Bush or conservatives questioning Obama. In both cases the unpatriotic terms is thrown around quite a lot.

KC//CRIMSON
4/22/2009, 08:43 PM
nm

OUAlumni1990
4/22/2009, 09:43 PM
Ah, lets just shorten it to OU vs *

:)

A Sooner in Texas
4/22/2009, 09:57 PM

This is EXACTLY how I feel. Every time I cross the Red River going north (not nearly often enough), I feel as if I can truly breathe. It's home.
I know Oklahoma has its fair share of wingnuts, but here I have to deal with them every day and try to act as if I think they're sane. I deserve an Oscar.

OUAlumni1990
4/22/2009, 10:01 PM
Hehe, yes I like going back to Okla too, its a chance to finally take your oxygen mask off for awhile ;)

soonerspiff
4/22/2009, 11:49 PM
1. Questioning or trying to change the government and talking secession are two different matters altogether.

2. I agree with most of what you said so long as it's applied to both sides - liberals questioning Bush or conservatives questioning Obama. In both cases the unpatriotic terms is thrown around quite a lot.

I don't recall any states threatening to secede from the Union during Bush's term. By the way, Lincoln did set the precedent that a state can NOT secede. And although Republicans continue to claim him as their own to ingratiate themselves to minorities, his politics were vastly different... But I digress.

Chuck Bao
4/22/2009, 11:50 PM
Can I say that I see it more as a east - west divide rather than a north - south divide? People in east Oklahoma/Northern Texas are more alike than west Oklahoma/Northern Texas. And, DFW metroplex is just a hodge podge of people from all over. Or, maybe I'm just confused because I grew up so close to the Texas border.

Crucifax Autumn
4/23/2009, 12:06 AM
I split my time between both and was pretty much cental E/W-wise in both and I can say for a fact that Okies are more genuine, more polite, more real, smarter, and just better people overall. And last time I was in DFW I was more worried about getting shot than getting to know the locals!

Jerk
4/23/2009, 05:01 AM
I don't recall any states threatening to secede from the Union during Bush's term. By the way, Lincoln did set the precedent that a state can NOT secede. And although Republicans continue to claim him as their own to ingratiate themselves to minorities, his politics were vastly different... But I digress.

First off, you don't remember Vermont.

And second, Lincoln wasn't a communist.

soonerloyal
4/23/2009, 07:11 AM
Look at some bright points, though...

1) TU, aTm, & Texas Tech would be able to play for their own "Texas National Football Championship" every single year. And without worrying about being beaten by Oklahoma.

2) When the Texas immigrants start crossing over the Red River to play for OU, Texans will be doubly humiliated because the recruits will revert to being American citizens.

3) No more TV coverage of Mack Brown clapping uselessly on the sidelines. No more TV coverage of Mack Brown whining. No more TV coverage of Mack Brown, period.

4) Mack would be able to put up all the mythical titles he wants on his Athletic Center walls. No need for asterisks at all.

5) No one's ears North of the Red River would ever be tortured again with that horrid bastardization of the tune "I've Been Workin' on the Railroad". No more burnt orange either.

6) Sure, we'd no longer be able to play the Red River Shootout, but see 2, 3 & 4. Oh heck, see all the above. Greatness.

Go for it, Gov. Perry! ;)

RedRum
4/23/2009, 11:16 AM
Or else what? Are we going to send a convey of panzies in smart cars to stop them? Most Americans just want to watch American Idol and update their myspace.

Personally I think we'd be better off if the red states and the blue states split.

My point is that they tried that before and Uncle Sam laid a smack down on them.

Jerk
4/23/2009, 07:00 PM
My point is that they tried that before and Uncle Sam laid a s*Mack* down on them.

Yes, and Uncle Sam wasn't 50 trillion in debt and on the verge of a bond collapse.

They will probably need volunteers to re-take Texas. You swing by here and I'll donate a rifle and tell you how to get there.

I'm staying here because I'd rather watch American Idol.