PDA

View Full Version : I can't wait for deer season.

Okla-homey
4/21/2009, 07:47 PM
So, recently, I got this Browning A-bolt in .30-06. Equipped it with Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm optics. Weaver style Burris rings mounted on a one-piece Picatinny rail.

Basic zero with an analog collimator at my breakfast table that a put me on the paper with the first round at the range.

Zeroed on the range last Saturday and after 10 rounds, was punching a 1" group at 100 yds, in the driving rain I might add. More importantly, was doing so with commercial grade Winchester Ballistic Silvertips available at every Wal-mart in North America.

Homey's gonna be a deer-slayin' SOB next fall.

That is all.

JLEW1818
4/21/2009, 08:26 PM
I like deer hunting, but it kind of interferes with football. .. I never really get a chance to go anymore.

Okla-homey
4/21/2009, 08:28 PM
I like deer hunting, but it kind of interferes with football. .. I never really get a chance to go anymore.

That sir, is the great conflict. However, with careful planning, one can hunt deer when the Sooners are on the road, and still fill the freezer.

SoonerJack
4/22/2009, 08:01 AM
and if you manage to free up more time, you should investigate bow hunting. You get fewer opportunities to shoot, but that's why they call it hunting and not shooting.

Sounds like you got an awesome rifle setup, though.

C&CDean
4/22/2009, 08:50 AM
Good jorb Holmes.

And yes, the hunting/football thing does create a dilemna. I have put in for mule deer this year in Colorado (muzzleloader). Opening day is the same day we play Idaho State. If I have to miss a game, that would be the one.

StoopTroup
4/22/2009, 10:15 AM
If I have to miss a game, that would be the one.

You should just card yourself for a statement like that.

Okla-homey
4/23/2009, 06:16 AM
and if you manage to free up more time, you should investigate bow hunting. You get fewer opportunities to shoot, but that's why they call it hunting and not shooting.

Sounds like you got an awesome rifle setup, though.

I love archery. While I haven't yet hunted with it, I've been honing my longbow skilz on a 3D target for over a year now. I figure if I'm going gunless, I may as well go all the way.

I got this rifle to guarentee a full freezer during gun season. I only got one deer last year on the one weekend I got out during gun season. I missed one because it was getting too dang dark on me. The great thing about a scope is it makes it possible to take a safe shot when its almost night.

walkoffsooner
4/23/2009, 06:40 AM
If your just wanting to fill freezer now is the time. Soon as turkey season is over that is. Season is for trophys and noobs.