PDA

View Full Version : OUr 1st round pics unerrated - USC 1st round pics overhyped

SoonerShay
4/21/2009, 05:16 PM
Starting in 2004 when the first Stoops recruit was drafted in the first round, OU hasn't had 1 first round bust. There have only been 5 in that time span but that's still hard to do. Not only that but only 1 hasn't made the pro bowl and that's mostly because he plays in Baltimore and the QBs there have pretty much stunk all but 1 year.

3 of these players were named to atleast the top 4 of the NFL landing on the all pro team. AD, Jammal Brown and Tommie Harris. We have never had a pick higher than 7 under Stoops and that was AD in 2007.

USC on the other hand has had 9 1st rounders since 2004, also the first year a Pete Carroll recruit got taken in the 1st round. Yet out of those 9 exactly 0 have been to the pro bowl or an all pro. The highest pick being 2nd when the Saints took Reggie Bush. Lofa Tatupu has been a pro bowler the last few years though but not a first rounder.

You may ask why I bring this up and it's because USC seems to be some gold standard now. Yet if you look at their high draft picks, especially on offense, they are frauds. Now Mark Sanchez and some USC linebackers are getting love in this upcoming draft. While OUr picks are again overanalyzed and deemed unworthy.

OUt of 18 picks under Stoops picked on the first day only 3 aren't in the league anymore 2 from injury(Lehman and Calmus) and 1 didn't pan out(Strait). 15 out of the 18 are starters on there teams.

Does anyone have any idea why OUr guys seemed to be so undervalued compared to some other schools? Namely USC but you could put texass up there too, cause their 1st rounders suck too.

EDIT: by the way I didn't put Roy Williams,Woolfolk,Carson Palmer or Troy Polamalu on there because all those players were recruited by someone else for their respective schools.

olevetonahill
4/21/2009, 05:28 PM
Its a conspiracy :eek:

CrimsonJim
4/21/2009, 05:44 PM
They must be "system" players..... :rolleyes:

tulsaoilerfan
4/21/2009, 10:16 PM
Cause of the ESPN bias; what else?

goingoneight
4/21/2009, 10:28 PM
It translates over to the players too. I for one am sick and tired of hearing EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR... about something USC-related being the "best ever!" Seriously... last fall they were talking about USC's defense being the "greatest in college football history" only two weeks after Oregon State ran up and down the field on them. Even Pete Carroll has fielded better defenses than that, so what makes them think that USC or anyone else throughout the HISTORY of college football hasn't?

55-19 started it all IMO. It's gonna take them crashing and burning hardcore like we have someday to knock them down a notch in the eyes of the media. Are they great year in and out? You betcha. Are they rock-solid in the post-season? Definitely... but they're really no different than Texas, Florida or even the team they raped in the 2005 Orange Bowl.

Crucifax Autumn
4/21/2009, 10:42 PM
No, they are different...none of those other teams has a greatest all time player who is a notorious murderer and star of the biggest celebrity trial ever!

Collier11
4/22/2009, 08:29 AM
Ill just take a revenge azz beating to even the score

Mad Dog Madsen
4/22/2009, 08:51 AM
Don't forget about Davin Joseph. He was a first rounder and a pro-bowler right?

badger
4/22/2009, 09:03 AM
To be fair to the trojans, they have had more first round picks so they have a greater chance of phail than we do. Using the same logic, we could say that all of the University of Delaware's first round picks are underrated and USC's are overrated by comparison because hey, Delaware's given the NFL nothing but starting-since-rookie-season quarterbacks, while USC, in comparison, has had a few duds! :rolleyes:

I know that is an extreme comparison and I can't believe I'm trying to be fair to usc.

The Remnant
4/22/2009, 10:39 AM
I sure wish sports analysts would use that same Badger logic when they criticize OU for losing too many BCS games. After all OU has been there so many times they have a greater chance of failing. I won't hold my breath.

badger
4/22/2009, 10:45 AM
I sure wish sports analysts would use that same Badger logic when they criticize OU for losing too many BCS games. After all OU has been there so many times they have a greater chance of failing. I won't hold my breath.

I'm not sure if you're insulting my logic or not, but regardless, that is why OSU should not be bragging that they win their bowl games when OU doesn't. Sure, OSU can win the 'almost-not-a-bowl-but-somehow-is-a-bowl' game, but when they go to a higher tier bowl like the Holiday Bowl (the irony is not lost on me that in our sole Stoops off-year when we went to the Holiday Bowl, it was considered lower tier as it was non-BCS, tee hee)... different story.

For the record, I was just pointing out that we shouldn't be so quick to judge USC... for this. For everything else, eff them :D