PDA

View Full Version : Review from Jordan Classic

Collier11
4/21/2009, 03:30 PM
Review of the Jordan Classic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From NBADraft.net
Keith Gallon -- 6 pts, 3-9 fg, 0-3 3p, 5 reb, 1 ast -- 300 pounder clearly has guard skills with his ball handling and jumper, but that's where the positives end on this night. He took 2 or 3 ridiculous chucker threes from way beyond three point range, one after a session of fancy dribbling. Projects a lazy attitude, dragging his feet up and down court and walking slowly off the court when subbed out. Made the worst play of the game giving away an easy lay up to attempt a pass off the back board to Wall which would have required more time on the clock. His jumper is almost a set shot, with little elevation. Didn't take his game inside at all to utilize his strength advantage. It's an all star game so hard to be too critical, but he definitely didn't make the same impression he made in the McDonald's AA game.

Tommy Mason-Griffin -- 7 pts, 3-6 fg, 1-3 3p, 1 reb, 1 ast, 1 to -- Played a solid floor game. Hit a nice three pointer and pull back jumper in the paint. Had many more opportunities to attack in transition, but seemed content to wait for the cavalry and toss alley-oops towards the rim. Played an unselfish and solid, but not spectacular, floor game. His stocky build and calming presence puts him in the Khalid El Amin and Levance Fields mold.

On the local kids....
Xavier Henry -- 11 pts, 5-9 fg, 0-1 3p, 2 ast -- Has a terrific 3 point stroke but struggled to show it off here. His lack of foot speed is a little concerning. Finished three dunks on nice dishes from John Wall, and hit a three in the waning seconds of the game. Other that that, he made no impact. Attempted to take his defender off the dribble, but could not turn the corner. Also struggled to contain opponents on defense. Has superior strength for a 2 or a 3, but failed to display lateral speed or a quick first step. Has a beautiful shot with exemplary elbow lift.

Daniel Orton -- 5 pts, 2-5 fg, 1-1 ft, 3 reb -- Big man looked extremely agile despite a brace on his left knee. Was able to stick with guards on pick and roll switches. Clearly has a powerful frame allowing him to finish through contact down low. Was a menace defensively with his long arms making things difficult for players such as Favors and Cousins to get their shots off. Showed a nice looking stroke on his jumper as well. Had a Moses Malone segment where he gathered a rebound, shot, missed, got the board, went up, got rejected, got the rebound again and then put the ball in for an and one (totaling 3 rebounds on one possession).

Eielson
4/21/2009, 04:09 PM
It's understandable that we would be lazy during an all-star game, but I also saw this in his high school games. It is correctable, though.

Boomer.....
4/21/2009, 04:16 PM
I don't think you can get much from these all-star games. It is just a continuous highlight reel in motion. Most players just want to show off.

NormanPride
4/21/2009, 05:56 PM
Gallon needs work, and Capel's history with attitude problem kids worries me in this case. I hope he can turn on the effort when he needs to, but after a year where our guys were sloppy even with a machine down low, it's hard to imagine what they would be like if the big mean were loafers.

Collier11
4/21/2009, 08:05 PM
This guy has already lost 60+lbs and no one has ever said that he has an attitude. He needs to increase stamina and get stronger

Eielson
4/21/2009, 11:19 PM
I don't no if he misworded it or something, but in an interview where he was asked why he lost the weight he said something along the lines of "I didn't want to have to work as hard as everybody else when I got to college." I'm not sure he meant it to come off like that, though.

NormanPride
4/22/2009, 09:32 AM
Hmm... To quote just about every character in Star Wars, "I've got a bad feeling about this..."

the_ouskull
4/22/2009, 04:29 PM
People have thought enough of his talent to vote him a McDonald's All American. Do you really think, though, that those same voters don't take things like work ethic, attitude, etc... into consideration? Even if it's just the stuff that they see during the games, it's enough evidence on which to base a decision.

I'm sure that he was being a show-off in the all-star game, and I don't like that. I'd like to think that we get the kind of guys who, even in an all-star game, keep right on chugging along, doing what they do. But, sadly, not every player is like that. If it's a problem in Norman, I don't think it'll be one for very long. We're deep on bigs next season... especially if they start trying to think that they're a guard.

the_ouskull

Mad Dog Madsen
4/22/2009, 04:36 PM
Sooo... is Danny Orton sticking with Kentucky?

King Crimson
4/22/2009, 05:45 PM
mountain, molehill. i haven't heard anything negative about Gallon and recall that Willie Warren was considered a "hot dog" and a "selfish" player it was rumored by some.

Gallon is 5 star player and a great get for Capel. Chill out people.

the_ouskull
4/22/2009, 09:29 PM
Oh crap. I do this sometimes...

I made a pretty good argument earlier...

People have thought enough of his talent to vote him a McDonald's All American. Do you really think, though, that those same voters don't take things like work ethic, attitude, etc... into consideration? Even if it's just the stuff that they see during the games, it's enough evidence on which to base a decision.

...but what if he just got those votes because he was the most high-profile recruit from the extraordinarily high-profile Oak Hill? In general, awards voters are lazy. (Case in point: Jimmy Claussen received Heisman votes this past season...)

What if we're only getting half-a-gallon? What if it's a gallon, but it's 2%, or even worse... skim?

I don't think Coach would have pulled the trigger if that were the case, but high-profile gets DO help programs build a reputation, and he would know that first-hand.

NOW you all have something to look forward to. You're welcome. :D

the_ouskull

starclassic tama
4/22/2009, 11:29 PM
i got ripped pretty hard for criticizing gallon during their game with findlay, which wasn't an all-star game. pretty much the exact same thing as this thread stated, didn't even bother to get up and down the court or even attempt any defense. i've never seen anything like it in a game. obviously a talented player, but he has a LONG ways to go and i'd be willing to bet against him being a starter from day 1.