PDA

View Full Version : Union football hires ex-OU voice Brooks

OUmillenium
4/21/2009, 08:30 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090418_93_B1_JohnBr409864

Union football hires ex-OU voice Brooks

by: BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer
Saturday, April 18, 2009
4/18/2009 3:17:32 AM

John Brooks, the former University of Oklahoma football and basketball radio voice, has agreed to become the new Union High School football play-by-play man.

Union broadcasts were carried for several seasons by KRMG am740, but Union rights recently were acquired by KYAL fm97.1 (the Tulsa Sports Animal). Brooks will do all regular-season and postseason games for the defending Class 6A state champion Redskins. His color analyst partner will be Kevin Ward, the KYAL sports director. Longtime Union sideline reporter Doc Blevins will continue in that role.

"If you're going to do high school football, you would want to do it at the highest level. You would want to be associated with a Union or a Jenks," said the 70-year-old Brooks, who did 13 seasons of Sooner football radio and 16 seasons of OU basketball.

Brooks, best known for his "Jiiiiiminy Christmas!!!!!" calls on big plays, and Ward are reunited. During the 1990-91 basketball season (Brooks' final season with the Sooners), Ward was the OU analyst.

"It has been 19 years since John's last football season at OU, and yet he is still remembered and talked about all the time," Ward said. "A couple of years ago, I approached John about doing play-by-play on our game of the week broadcast a broadcast involving various teams. He was not interested. But Union football is a different animal, no pun intended. When I talked to him about possibly doing Union, his interest was immediate.

"I think OU fans are going to flip out when they hear that John Brooks is doing Union play-by-play."

For 27 seasons, Brooks was the voice of the Oklahoma City Blazers hockey team. In 1991, he did University of Tulsa radio. That season, the Golden Hurricane finished 10-2. Brooks did Northeastern State football radio in 2000-03.

On Wednesday nights during football season, Brooks will be involved in Union coach Kirk Fridrich's weekly show on KYAL.

"We've always had great broadcasts at Union, and we're really excited about John Brooks," Fridrich said. "He was great at OU and he did a great job when he was at TU. We love having John involved in Union football.

"Our parents, our players, our booster club they're all going to be excited."

Brooks and his wife Lisa, a University of Tulsa graduate, reside in Oklahoma City with their 12-year-old son Remington. Brooks recently has written a series of children's books. On Thursday, he was in Tulsa for his induction into the Oklahoma Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame.

"Ever since I retired from the Blazers (in 2005), I realized I made a mistake," Brooks said on Friday. "I had been wanting to do something, but when Kevin called me, I was a little stunned. I was surprised that someone would want me for this.

"I think it's pretty good that John Madden announced his retirement (on Thursday), and today I am coming out of retirement. I've already done a little research on Union football. I've never been to a Union-Jenks game. It's just a different level of high school football. I'm told that Union-Jenks is just remarkable."

Wow, now I have to listen to the enemy's broadcast just to hear a nostalgic JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMINY Christmas!

olevetonahill
4/21/2009, 09:28 AM
Good Post
spek

The_Red_Patriot
4/21/2009, 09:39 AM
So......when will OU hire Jim Ross for play by play?

CrimsonJim
4/21/2009, 09:47 AM
Man! I sure miss the days of John Brooks broadcasting Sooner Football!! Brings back lotsa goooood memories.

OUDoc
4/21/2009, 10:23 AM
He was the voice of OU when I was growing up. I never quite understood why they let him go in favor of BBS (except the obvious Channel 4 angle, I suppose). I was not happy when that happened.

goingoneight
4/21/2009, 10:24 AM
Jenks should hire Bob Barry, Sr. :D

CrimsonJim
4/21/2009, 06:19 PM
He was the voice of OU when I was growing up. I never quite understood why they let him go in favor of BBS (except the obvious Channel 4 angle, I suppose). I was not happy when that happened.

Ditto, Doc.

Anybody think they might ever hire him back (assuming he'd want to come back) when BBS retires?

OUmillenium
4/23/2009, 09:37 AM
He was great for OU Basketball games as well. Especially during the 86-87 season, when I listened to pretty much every game that wasn't televised.

atlheff
4/23/2009, 12:16 PM
I have read many times that the guy is too full of himself and too hard to work with. Shows how far he has slid when he is now showing up in the high school ranks. I agree however that there is such a nostalgia with him. My dad and listened to those OU games on KRMG and he really could get you excited. 50,45,40,35,30,25,15,10,5, TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!! JEEEMINNY CHRISTMASSSS!!!! Ah the good ole days of Sooner broadcasting.

CrimsonJim
4/23/2009, 02:30 PM
Hmmm, I didn't know he turned into a dewsh, but yeah that gets my heart pumping just reading it!

sooneron
4/23/2009, 02:38 PM
I seem to remember the school telling him not to let the door hit him in the azz on the way out. Something about wearing out his welcome with attitude etc...

oudivesherpa
4/23/2009, 04:22 PM
Good man, I've always enjoyed John Brooks, I even sold him my house in OKC when I moved to Houston 32 years ago. I think he's even younger than Bob Barry but even Methuselah is younger than Bob Barry.

unbiasedtruth
4/24/2009, 04:02 AM

BBS did the OU games befor JB. I remember JB as a kid growing up doing the Blazers hockey games my parents either attended or listened to the livd broadcast.

ok back on track, who knows why, Okie lite hired him away to do their games, on comes JB. So he was there for 26 years and then for some reason JB keaves OU play-by-play and guess who comes back, BBS.

I would have to consult an "expert" to verify this.

OUmillenium
8/20/2009, 08:50 AM
Just a reminder...John Brooks will be doing the Onion HS play by play this year.