Dan Thompson
4/20/2009, 07:15 PM
like in 2009?

More passing, more running, balance?

Spread on no-spread?

Quick count, hurry up, etc?

CrimsonJim
4/20/2009, 07:20 PM
I really think that will all depend on how well/quick our O-line gells as a unit. If they're as good as I'm hoping they'll be, I think this year will look a lot like last year. Probably some new wrinkles, yes, but why fix it if it ain't broke? :)

JLEW1818
4/20/2009, 08:34 PM
The exact same thing.... see 2008 stats

meoveryouxinfinity
4/20/2009, 09:20 PM
I'm not quite sure. Usually early in the season we run the ball down the throat of our non conference opponents because we can man handle them on the line (that, and we're up 50-0 at the half before the monsoon).

But with the injury problems at the running back position, this might be decreased slightly (plus our non conference SOS is pretty darn strong- no running the ball on 3rd and 10).
Also, we have youth at WR, which would make you think we want to get them plenty of touches before starting conference play. Why not let them catch a few balls from the Heisman winner?

However, as the season progresses, we will run the ball about as much as we throw it. We are not Texas, we have a running game. In fact, since Q. Griffin, the position has been a 1,000-yard rusher revolving door: no matter who you plug in, they will churn out the yards.

I think we all know Bob likes balance, and whether you love him or hate him for it, it seems to work.

OU_Sooners75
4/20/2009, 09:21 PM
I suspect it will look something like this:

https://www.gridironmemories.com/images/000aassTexanOffensive2.jpg

OU_Sooners75
4/20/2009, 09:22 PM
But on a serious note.

With a brand new OL I would suspect we would run the ball a little more. It is easier for most OLinemen to rush block than to pass block.

I would think something in the order of 55% rush 45% pass.

meoveryouxinfinity
4/20/2009, 09:26 PM
But on a serious note.

With a brand new OL I would suspect we would run the ball a little more. It is easier for most OLinemen to rush block than to pass block.

I would think something in the order of 55% rush 45% pass.

I'd agree except for the injuries.

And I think Bob fancies him a run game.

theresonly1OU
4/20/2009, 10:09 PM
I expect to see Broyles catch fire, run 20 yards downfield through the entire defensive secondary, and catch a ball 15 feet in the air, after doing 3 front flips, then running a Gator-like sub 4 second 40 all the way to the endzone.

That, or more running plays.

Crucifax Autumn
4/20/2009, 11:23 PM
I expect to see a great big crimson foot inserted deeply into a bunch of opposing defenses.

JLEW1818
4/20/2009, 11:30 PM
I expect to see Broyles catch fire, run 20 yards downfield through the entire defensive secondary, and catch a ball 15 feet in the air, after doing 3 front flips, then running a Gator-like sub 4 second 40 all the way to the endzone.

That, or more running plays.

Exactly

BornandBred
4/21/2009, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to run the hurry up as well as we did last year. The line calls were made at the LOS on the fly, and I doubt we'll be as good at that as we were last year. From what I've heard, it was Cooper that made the calls, and if we have a n00b filling it, I expect some performance drop. I hope I'm wrong but most of our O production last year was predicated by solid line play, I expect some growing pains.

badger
4/21/2009, 08:22 AM
The playbook shall progress as the opponents get tougher to beat.

* Sept. 5 -- Brigham Young @ Dallas
Playbook status: "Trick plays" to build 28-point lead in the first half involving a lot of Sam Bradford-to-WR of choice. Runs up the middle for most of the rest of the game to hide playbook's REAL trick plays
* Sept. 12 – Idaho State
Playbook status: A running attack with occasional passing to keep the idiots who don't know any better than to boo when there's too much running from booing to loudly. Idiots, you know who you are. Stop demanding "touchdown tight end."
* Sept. 19 -- Tulsa
Playbook status: More of the same, but with a few "touchdown tight ends" to keep the idiots at bay a little bit longer.
* Oct. 3 -- @ Miami
Playbook status: Miami forgot to scout the BYU game, so there are many of the same "trick plays" from that game, but after a solid lead is built in the first half, a running game once again takes over.
* Oct. 10 -- Baylor
Playbook status: Sack the hell outta Baylor's Vince Young clone... and on offense, run the ball.
* Oct. 17 -- Texas @ Dallas
Playbook status: A TD-for-TD exchange works through the first three quarters, when all stop are pulled for the final quarter. Expect a lot of short passes for WR after-catch gains to keep defenses close, but an occasional deep ball or run to keep everyone honest.
* Oct. 24 – @ Kansas
* Oct. 31 -- Kansas State
* Nov. 7 -- @ Nebraska
* Nov. 14 -- Texas A&M
Playbook status: Run, run, run!
* Nov 21 – @ Texas Tech
Playbook status: A focus on D gives OU plenty of opportunities to run the ball on offense.
* Nov. 28 -- Oklahoma State
Playbook status: A downtrodden OSU team that is nowhere near as "good" as last year's squad allows OU to spend the week preparing for the Big 12 championship... and run the ball a lot against OSU's subpar defense.

The idiot fan in me wants OU to run tons of exciting plays with a lot of trickery and showmanship that would be fun to watch, but the conservative fan in me wins out in realizing that OU cannot show off their entire playbook too early in the year, or we'll be doomed to another bowl meltdown come January. With that in mind, I hope Gresham does get a lot of touchdown tight end calls, but I won't hold out hope for it when the game is well in hand.

soonermix
4/21/2009, 09:48 AM
non conference we will run what ever we want as basic as we want
conference we will run what ever we want as fancy as we want
in january we will run what ever we want as non working as we want and try to lose another bcs game.

goingoneight
4/21/2009, 10:34 AM
Badger, you forgot Bradford's stats against Texazz. You know, 33/39 in the first half, eventually 35/45 with five scores in a 65-21 win... :D

badger
4/21/2009, 12:02 PM
Badger, you forgot Bradford's stats against Texazz. You know, 33/39 in the first half, eventually 35/45 with five scores in a 65-21 win... :D

Nah, we already scored 65 against Texaz once... let's make it an even 70 with all 10 touchdowns being scored by Bradford... on a 10 for 10 performance. Yes, all 10 of his passes were touchdowns. Bradford doesn't throw non-touchdown passes. What's the point?

OU: 70
tx: 3

PS: Texaz fans say that their win last year was equal to this win, as both wins were by double figures and they just can't stop mentioning the fact that there was a double figure margin of victory and that double figure differences make all of the difference. :rolleyes:

picasso
4/21/2009, 12:31 PM
I'm betting it has a crimson or white cover.

CrimsonJim
4/21/2009, 12:48 PM
I bet it has a fake punt that actually has Gresham making a block.....

fadada1
4/21/2009, 09:34 PM
running early in the season, more balance once conference play starts. i'd like NOT to see so many "look backs" at the LOS. i think that killed us in the MNC game. gotta be a better way.

hgarmorer
4/21/2009, 09:43 PM
I'm betting it has a crimson or white cover.
oooh good call, with maybe an interlocking logo of some sort or possible Bold lettering. I'm liken' where this is going.

goingoneight
4/21/2009, 10:16 PM
Do you think we can get the English version?

OUAlumni1990
4/21/2009, 11:15 PM
I'm sure Bob Stoops to chime in any minute and give us a complete rundown. :D

Crucifax Autumn
4/21/2009, 11:51 PM
Obviously they obviously have one edition for the team and obviously another one for Sam. Obviously his is rather redundant and obviously just says to throw lots of obvious touchdowns which obviously will lead to an MNC.

It's only obvious.

badger
4/22/2009, 07:33 AM
Obviously they obviously have one edition for the team and obviously another one for Sam. Obviously his is rather redundant and obviously just says to throw lots of obvious touchdowns which obviously will lead to an MNC.

It's only obvious.

And if you don't like the playbook, you can always depict it getting run over by a schooner :D

Crucifax Autumn
4/22/2009, 09:37 AM
Nah...I'll have Boomer and Sooner taking a big **** on it if I don't like it, which I suspect won't be the case.

picasso
4/22/2009, 09:51 AM

ouch.

ouleaf
4/22/2009, 10:03 AM
I think we'll prob. see a lot from all the running backs. Also a fair amount of Bubble Screens out to either Murray, Madu, or Broyles. Mix that in with some over the middle passes to Gresham the occasionaly long bomb from Bradford and that will be it. We really don't need to run much of a gimmicky offense. If we execute well, we'll move the ball just fine.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of the 3 TE formation next year. Might help out the O-Line early on with making sure everyone is picked up. Plus one of them can usually sneak out into the open for big gains if we hit them with a pass.

CrimsonJim
4/22/2009, 10:08 AM

ouch.

Sorry, there's just a handful of things that still sting a little from last season, and that'd be one of 'em.

SoonerLB
4/27/2009, 03:11 PM
Probably gonna look a lot like last year's playbook.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/barn9/OUplaybook.jpg