PDA

View Full Version : Big Whiskey And The Groogrux King

Rogue
4/19/2009, 07:39 AM
Dave Matthews Band. It's been a few years for a studio album and some of us are getting antsy. I know some of y'all don't get them or just don't like them. I've been hooked since my OU days in the '90s and I still am. Thought I'd preview some of the new stuff while it's fresh in my mind.

I'm hoping for something more along the lines of the old great albums a'la Under The Table And Dreaming, Crash, and Before These Crowded Streets. If it's closer to Stand Up or Some Devil Ima stick to buying their live stuff for awhile.

OK, so I've heard 3 of the new songs live now. They played them both nights in Charlottesville.

Funny The Way It Is - :) it's growing on me and a decent song; like most DMB music it's better live than recorded and seems like it will become a solid live song in the rotation.

Superman - :confused: I'm not loving this yet. It's OK and nice to have a new song for a slow rest mid-way throug the night for a change.

Why I Am - :D :D :D OK, this song is fun. Throwback to early '90s DMB. It's dancey, quick, and has those classic changeups we've come to expect from the band. Last night they teased Old Dirt Hill for a few bars before smoothly going into this song. Easy to see interpolations in here. I think it'll be a hit.
It's stuck in my head right now. Seems to be a tribute to LeRoi Moore with the Groogrux King lyrics. I think GK was his nickname.

Cornbread, 27, Burning Down The House, Money, Eh Hee, Sledgehammer:
Don't know if they'll be on the new album or not. They've been playing them the past year now. Cornbread fits the New Orleans produced album really well. BDTH is a great live song and I think I read that it'll be on the new Live Trax album.

JohnnyMack
4/19/2009, 08:07 AM
I downloaded FTWII and I'm fairly disappointed. I know it's a radio release, but after the first 45 seconds I don't really care for it. I don't like the lyrics, the bridge and can't stand the electric guitar. It makes them sound totally generic.

Dave was at his best when he was on drugs. I'll go back to BTCS and Crash.

Rogue
4/19/2009, 08:20 AM
For sure some of his best writing was during those dark periods and when Steve Lillywhite was producing. Last year's tour was incredible by most reviews. I saw 4 shows and they were some of the best I've seen since the '90s. This 2-night run here was solid. Only songs repeated from night 1 during night 2 were the 3 new songs.

Getting Jeff Coffin and Rashawn Ross in the horn section and Tim Reynolds playing regularly these days is a special lineup. Last night they had a few guests sit in including John Dearth who first played with Dave when he was talking to Carter Beauford and LeRoi Moore about starting a band. Dave told the story about how John Dearth helped him record Recently back then.

He added in some of the old lyrics last night to Recently. Their live stuff is a world away from the studio recordings.

Here's the scoop from dmband.com:

Just made it through a spectacular weekend of shows! DMB played the arena at the University of Virginia in their hometown of Charlottesville. With all the family and friends in town, there are seemingly more people backstage than out in the house. Trumpeter John Dearth, an early collaborator of the band, sat in on 4 tunes this evening. Following an old-school rendition of Recently (including the "pretty pretty girl" jam), Dave shared with the audience a story from the early days when he first invited Carter, LeRoi, and John to listen to a few songs he had written. Together, Dave and John recorded a few of those early demos. Sitting in on both shows here was banjo badass Danny Barnes, who appears on the new DMB record. His groovy bluegrass stylings and wide-eyed smile consistently puts a grin on all our faces. We are officially on tour and completely psyched to put on some great shows for y'all. We're on our way to Alabama for our show on Monday. See you then.

The DMB Crew
Sunday, April 19
12:42 AM EDT

PrideTrombone
4/19/2009, 06:24 PM
I'm liking "Funny the Wat It Is" so far, going to the show in Dallas on May 2.

Crucifax Autumn
4/20/2009, 12:16 AM
I'm not a big DMB fan because I don't care much for his voice, but there is no denying the talent he puts around himself. That drummer he has is amazing in a lot of live clips I've seen, particularly his solos and on some of the more extended jams.

Daves voice WAS fantastic at the Lennon tribute where he did the Beatles "In My Life". Here his style worked in ways I usually don't like because it sounded so vulnerable and made the song far more sad than the harmonized and happy beatles version. He made it his.

Rogue
5/25/2009, 06:20 PM
The new album is streaming at pandora.

http://pandora.com/davematthewsband

I'm diggin' it.
Big surprise, I know.

Big Whiskey Streaming on Pandora
Posted by Jake Vigliotti in Album News at 9:52am on Monday, May 25th, 2009

Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King is streaming on Pandora, again. The streaming music site put the album up prematurely on Friday, and that spread the album like wild-fire again, for the second time in a mere three days. Prior to that, a non-watermarked demo from around April made it onto the net, and into the ears of DMB fans everywhere.

The two - the April Demo and the Pandora Stream - are actually different. Most songs have slight changes, but the two most noticeable are Why I Am - which removes a Saxophone accompaniment in the beginning of the song, and Seven - which is improved lyrically, and just sounds better overall. How exactly did that happen, you may ponder? Well, it's pretty simple; the first thing to leak wasn't a finished product. The band and producer Rob Cavallo continued to tweak the album up until May. In fact, if you've got your hands on a watermarked disc, or attended a listening party where one was played, you'll notice some more changes. You And Me has percussion on the Pandora stream, and most watermarked copies do not (listen around the chorus of "You and me together..." and you'll heard the dearth of Carter). So... is what's streaming on Pandora the Final product? Last antsmarching.org heard, You and Me was to be a straight-up acoustic track, which seems to mean that the watermarked discs would be the "final". In other words, we don't know if the pandora stream is the "final final" version or not. Regardless, the stream is only 96 kb, and not the greatest of quality, so it'll all sound a lot better once the album arrives on June 2.

CK Sooner
5/25/2009, 06:24 PM
I'm not a big DMB fan because I don't care much for his voice, but there is no denying the talent he puts around himself. That drummer he has is amazing in a lot of live clips I've seen, particularly his solos and on some of the more extended jams.

Daves voice WAS fantastic at the Lennon tribute where he did the Beatles "In My Life". Here his style worked in ways I usually don't like because it sounded so vulnerable and made the song far more sad than the harmonized and happy beatles version. He made it his.

Zw-TUO7A-HQ

CK Sooner
5/25/2009, 06:27 PM
DHXpnZi9Hzs

CK Sooner
5/25/2009, 06:29 PM
aBccr-aLu4I

CK Sooner
5/25/2009, 06:30 PM
7sjSHazjrWg

Rogue
5/25/2009, 07:19 PM
Dubya
Tee
Eff?

Ardmore_Sooner
6/6/2009, 01:30 AM
Rogue, I just got payed today, finally bought it, and I'm really digging this CD. It really isn't like anything that DMB has done before, but at the same time it's a great mix.

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 01:48 AM
That "In My Life" vid is fantastic. I recorded that show on the original airing and watched the whole thing at least once a week for the next year.

Even dumbass Craig David did a great job that night, and Lou Reed OWNED "Jealous Guy".

I'm gonna have to find 'em and conduct a minor threadjack.

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 01:49 AM
b30MmUUWKv0

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 01:51 AM
Yep...Lou made this one his...so different from the vulnerable original, which is interesting in the context of this thread since what makes DM version of In My Life his is being MORE vulnerable!

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 01:54 AM
tQSJtpVUML0

I can't stand this guy, but this is awesome.

King Crimson
6/6/2009, 02:05 AM
i'm gonna disagree that the original version of in my life was happy.

and to be honest, those vids behind Dave Matthews are lame and pretentious.

i know the feeling is there and i'm being a dick.

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 02:16 AM
heh...since we just saw Spacey a couple of times introducing...

rBEx2xHLDjE

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 02:20 AM
i'm gonna disagree that the original version of in my life was happy.

and to be honest, those vids behind Dave Matthews are lame and pretentious.

i know the feeling is there and i'm being a dick.

You misunderstand me totally...the song has always been bittersweet and sad. What I'm saying is that that feeling comes through in a new way through the frailty of DM's voice. The counter to what I'm saying is that DM's version lacks the harmonies and fantastic mix of the original.

Both versions though, reach into the soul of anyone who has a heart.

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 02:22 AM
And dude...You are seriously one of the coolest mother****ers on this site! You actually get it musically as opposed to the dip****s that are all hipster just to be hipster or the other morons who are the opposite! lol

King Crimson
6/6/2009, 02:22 AM
You misunderstand me totally...the song has always been bittersweet and sad. What I'm saying is that that feeling comes through in a new way through the frailty of DM's voice. The counter to what I'm saying is that DM's version lacks the harmonies and fantastic mix of the original.

Both versions though, reach into the soul of anyone who has a heart.

yeah, agree.

King Crimson
6/6/2009, 02:25 AM
still not a fan of those vids in the background. i hate to be the Beatles and Lennon are sacrosanct guy....seems cheesy, to me.

sing the song. don't need the vids.

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 02:27 AM
I'd have to say Rogue is in the same category...

But all you a-holes need to listen to more prog...from Procol Harum to Porcupine Tree and everything in between!

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 02:28 AM
still not a fan of those vids in the background. i hate to be the Beatles and Lennon are sacrosanct guy....seems cheesy, to me.

sing the song. don't need the vids.

That kinda thing is always cheesy! The background vid crap is dumb and makes no sense, but as long as there are tribute concerts we're gonna see this ****.

King Crimson
6/6/2009, 02:30 AM
That kinda thing is always cheesy! The background vid crap is dumb and makes no sense, but as long as there are tribute concerts we're gonna see this ****.

i guess you are right. but i still want to rail against it.

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 02:30 AM
Another band I don't care for, doing the other kinda tribute...the copycat cover!

HxRusFQAi9Q

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 02:31 AM
i guess you are right. but i still want to rail against it.

I don't blame you!

That's why my prog metal *** enjoys Dream Theater's live covers of full classic albums...they just switch to a backdrop of said album cover and jam.

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 02:35 AM
wow...total highjack!

I gotta get on topic or something...despite my temptation to pot the DT covers of Maiden, Floyd, and Metallica!

Seriously...Maiden and 'Tallica with Keyboards is amazing!

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 02:36 AM
Back on topic...

Who says this guy isn't good????

KOatIrazULw

King Crimson
6/6/2009, 02:39 AM
Another band I don't care for, doing the other kinda tribute...the copycat cover!

HxRusFQAi9Q

i'm not going to say that's horrible or unfaithful, but it's so clinical.

i could only get about 2 minutes in. it doesn't really rock.

King Crimson
6/6/2009, 02:41 AM
i also have a thing against STP since i read an interview with the guitar player who claimed he played like Robert Fripp. i thought that was pretty funny.

got nothing to do with my handle, btw.

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 02:42 AM
A nice drum isolation here...

dHV1PGSpRxE

And I can honestly say I never noticed until my father-in-law jazz drummer pointed out how truly good this guy is.

King Crimson
6/6/2009, 02:46 AM
that stp cover is kind of like U2's cover of Helter Skelter, it's plodding.

and Cru, you know where i'm at on hair metal, but Motley Crue's version of helter skelter is way better than U2's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBMMCClIgTc

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 02:46 AM
i also have a thing against STP since i read an interview with the guitar player who claimed he played like Robert Fripp. i thought that was pretty funny.

got nothing to do with my handle, btw.

I actuallty wondered about the handle. While I respect that band I have a hard time listening to much of their stuff aside from 20th centuery schizoid man.

As for that cover...yep...you passed the test! lol...way to clinical a copy without really capturing the song of that makes sense!

Another reason I like the DT cover of Floyd's Dark Side...they got it though many think Petrucci's guitar is less feeling than Gilmoure...if ya wanna judge for yourself, go look at it in the posse music forum.

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 02:53 AM
that stp cover is kind of like U2's cover of Helter Skelter, it's plodding.

and Cru, you know where i'm at on hair metal, but Motley Crue's version of helter skelter is way better than U2's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBMMCClIgTc

I'm with you there...

I actually enjoy(ed) the first 2 Crue Albums. It was Theater of Pain where they either sold out or revealed their true selves!

Funny story...

My stepdad who considered himself an authority on all things 60s was coming to my room to tell me to "turn that **** down" when I was in 9th grade. He uttered the standard line and I complied, but said as Crue played Helter Skelter, "Is this the Beatles song?"

The stupid bastard said "I don't know".

Between that and trying to play drums with a guitarist friend of mine and another of his when they suddenly busted into Maiden's "2 Minutes to Midnight" caused him to say "too fast" I never respected his musical knowledge again. I hate him for more than that, but damn! This guy was a big Mitch Mitchell guy who thought he was cool cause he could play "Fire".

King Crimson
6/6/2009, 02:54 AM
i like King Crimson the band but i don't live or die by Fripp. i've been riding this handle since 98 or so on Phil's boards and even hornfans inna day talking ****. the crimson part just made sense.

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 02:57 AM
LOL...Seems appropriate to me!

I feel the need to spam the other place with some prog...or would you care to swap prog vids in a separate thread here?

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 03:04 AM
Granted...I doubt this DMB guy could pull this ****!...

fmbayHHUPcA

o8dn6mIwa8Q

z5oVrlAb4sE

King Crimson
6/6/2009, 03:05 AM
i'm not sure i can prog with you.

i do like this cut from the Adrian Belew/Bill Bruford era KC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQOGPCK1WaA

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 03:11 AM
ah...listening now! I love me some complex music, from any decade.

JohnnyMack
6/6/2009, 08:18 AM
This new album is not great. Too much electric guitar. Listen to the piece of crap song called Seven. Now there are a few solid songs but if I wanna listen to Dave I'll stick to the first three albums.

KC//CRIMSON
6/6/2009, 03:58 PM
A nice drum isolation here...

dHV1PGSpRxE

And I can honestly say I never noticed until my father-in-law jazz drummer pointed out how truly good this guy is.

He's okay, but I would put Thomas Lang up against anyone. Watch how effortless and tasty his technique is. The guy is a monster.

dvbRr3FjVl4

Metal you say?

_xkqsKxx8r4&NR=1

How about goofing around on some chairs?

JhGgKaqhCIM

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 04:59 PM
Kinda soulless unemotional playing, but the technique is fine.

starclassic tama
6/6/2009, 05:14 PM
who in their right mind would compare thomas lang to carter beauford? COMPLETELY different players. lang is a chops monkey that crams as many notes as possible into his playing which is so incredibly annoying. beauford is a tasteful dude without the ridiculous chops but he gives the songs what they need.

King Crimson
6/6/2009, 05:17 PM
Another reason I like the DT cover of Floyd's Dark Side...they got it though many think Petrucci's guitar is less feeling than Gilmoure...if ya wanna judge for yourself, go look at it in the posse music forum.

i watched part of that a couple weeks ago. pretty cool.

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 05:41 PM
who in their right mind would compare thomas lang to carter beauford? COMPLETELY different players. lang is a chops monkey that crams as many notes as possible into his playing which is so incredibly annoying. beauford is a tasteful dude without the ridiculous chops but he gives the songs what they need.

I'd tend to agree with that one. What also kills me is the total lack of any time changes or anything. If I'm listening to a technical drummer I prefer that he throws me for some loops here and there, thus my love of Peart and Portnoy.

KC//CRIMSON
6/6/2009, 07:04 PM

What you're saying is you prefer the style of music Beauford plays which is fine. I prefer Lang's stuff and I wasn't really trying to compare the two. Just saying "hey check out this guy."

KC//CRIMSON
6/6/2009, 07:28 PM
I'd tend to agree with that one. What also kills me is the total lack of any time changes or anything. If I'm listening to a technical drummer I prefer that he throws me for some loops here and there, thus my love of Peart and Portnoy.

He's got a ton of videos and DVDs with plenty of "loops." Trust me. I like Peart, but really never got into Dream Theater or Portnoy or other prog rock for that matter. He's good for sure, but I'd rather listen to guys like Danny Carey or Jimmy Chamberlin or Steve Smith. Just my preference. Speaking of Peart, me and the HMFIC and a few other posters went and saw Rush back in "03. Good show, but you can sorta tell their getting old. Happens to the best.

Crucifax Autumn
6/7/2009, 12:30 AM
I'm just a big prog head so I like the combo of super technique combined with a lot of time changes and subtle little touches, not to mention heavy interaction with the other musicians.

Rogue
6/15/2009, 09:27 PM
This new album is not great. Too much electric guitar. Listen to the piece of crap song called Seven. Now there are a few solid songs but if I wanna listen to Dave I'll stick to the first three albums.

I dunno, this album has some huge high points, unlike the last couple.
Squirm, Time Bomb, and Lying In The Hands of God are better than anything from Everyday or Stand Up.

No, it's not as solid top-to-bottom as Before These Crowded Streets, Crash, or Under The Table and Dreaming, but it gives me hope that this band is moving forward in a good way after some seriously lackluster studio work for the past decade.

If you think the album has too much guitar, you're gonna hate songs like "Why I Am" played live where Tim has some nasty riffs throughout.

Headed to the Cincy show tomorrow night. Mrs. Rogue and I are gonna watch the horse races all day, meet up with a buddy from the Army days and his lady friend, and enjoy the show. Now, where did I leave that last WAYLT thread...

Crucifax Autumn
6/15/2009, 10:35 PM
Have a great time!

Rogue
6/16/2009, 03:51 PM
Let's hope the ahow is better than my bets so far.