PDA

View Full Version : Israel stands ready to bomb Iran's nuclear sites

JohnnyMack
4/18/2009, 03:05 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article6115903.ece

Israel stands ready to bomb Iran's nuclear sites

Sheera Frenkel in Jerusalem

The Israeli military is preparing itself to launch a massive aerial assault on Iran's nuclear facilities within days of being given the go-ahead by its new government.

Among the steps taken to ready Israeli forces for what would be a risky raid requiring pinpoint aerial strikes are the acquisition of three Airborne Warning and Control (AWAC) aircraft and regional missions to simulate the attack.

Two nationwide civil defence drills will help to prepare the public for the retaliation that Israel could face.

“Israel wants to know that if its forces were given the green light they could strike at Iran in a matter of days, even hours. They are making preparations on every level for this eventuality. The message to Iran is that the threat is not just words,” one senior defence official told The Times.

Officials believe that Israel could be required to hit more than a dozen targets, including moving convoys. The sites include Natanz, where thousands of centrifuges produce enriched uranium; Esfahan, where 250 tonnes of gas is stored in tunnels; and Arak, where a heavy water reactor produces plutonium.

The distance from Israel to at least one of the sites is more than 870 miles, a distance that the Israeli force practised covering in a training exercise last year that involved F15 and F16 jets, helicopters and refuelling tankers.

The possible Israeli strike on Iran has drawn comparisons to its attack on the Osirak nuclear facility near Baghdad in 1981. That strike, which destroyed the facility in under 100 seconds, was completed without Israeli losses and checked Iraqi ambitions for a nuclear weapons programme.

“We would not make the threat [against Iran] without the force to back it. There has been a recent move, a number of on-the-ground preparations, that indicate Israel's willingness to act,” said another official from Israel's intelligence community.

He added that it was unlikely that Israel would carry out the attack without receiving at least tacit approval from America, which has struck a more reconciliatory tone in dealing with Iran under its new administration.

An Israeli attack on Iran would entail flying over Jordanian and Iraqi airspace, where US forces have a strong presence.

Ephraim Kam, the deputy director of the Institute for National Security Studies, said it was unlikely that the Americans would approve an attack.

“The American defence establishment is unsure that the operation will be successful. And the results of the operation would only delay Iran's programme by two to four years,” he said.

A visit by President Obama to Israel in June is expected to coincide with the national elections in Iran — timing that would allow the US Administration to re-evaluate diplomatic resolutions with Iran before hearing the Israeli position.

“Many of the leaks or statements made by Israeli leaders and military commanders are meant for deterrence. The message is that if [the international community] is unable to solve the problem they need to take into account that we will solve it our way,” Mr Kam said.

Among recent preparations by the airforce was the Israeli attack of a weapons convoy in Sudan bound for militants in the Gaza Strip.

“Sudan was practice for the Israeli forces on a long-range attack,” Ronen Bergman, the author of The Secret War with Iran, said. “They wanted to see how they handled the transfer of information, hitting a moving target ... In that sense it was a rehearsal.”

Israel has made public its intention to hold the largest-ever nationwide drill next month.

Colonel Hilik Sofer told Haaretz, a daily Israeli newspaper, that the drill would “train for a reality in which during war missiles can fall on any part of the country without warning ... We want the citizens to understand that war can happen tomorrow morning”.

Israel will conduct an exercise with US forces to test the ability of Arrow, its US-funded missile defence system. The exercise would test whether the system could intercept missiles launched at Israel.

“Israel has made it clear that it will not tolerate the threat of a nuclear Iran. According to Israeli Intelligence they will have the bomb within two years ... Once they have a bomb it will be too late, and Israel will have no choice to strike — with or without America,” an official from the Israeli Defence Ministry said.

olevetonahill
4/18/2009, 03:19 PM
Was there any doubt ?

Jerk
4/18/2009, 03:28 PM
high oil prices + deflationary recession (maybe depression) = fun times.

Jacie
4/18/2009, 03:39 PM
So the best way to launch a sneak attack is to announce it in the paper first?

Heck fire! Who knows what might have happened if our government had only bothered to read the paper in November of 1941?

Curly Bill
4/18/2009, 03:47 PM
Yay Israel!

swardboy
4/18/2009, 05:22 PM
I mean really, it's either this or wait to be nuked by Iran. Does anyone seriously think a nation which is ruled by its clergy, who believe in a annihilistic event which will usher in their 12th Imam, will hold off socking it to Israel when they get the chance?

JohnnyMack
4/18/2009, 06:23 PM
Seems like Israel is trying to feel out exactly where it is the new U.S. administration stands to me. Netanyahu being more of a hard liner probably isn't too thrilled with Obama announcing they'll be pushing for a "two-state solution".

King Crimson
4/18/2009, 06:34 PM
Seems like Israel is trying to feel out exactly where it is the new U.S. administration stands to me. Netanyahu being more of a hard liner probably isn't too thrilled with Obama announcing they'll be pushing for a "two-state solution".

agree.

olevetonahill
4/18/2009, 06:45 PM
Lets see
If I had a Rabid dog in My back yard . Id let it grow more mad or just shoot the Mofo ?
Think Id just shoot it .

Curly Bill
4/18/2009, 08:14 PM
Lets see
If I had a Rabid dog in My back yard . Id let it grow more mad or just shoot the Mofo ?
Think Id just shoot it .

When it comes right down to it I think Israel will do exactly that, whether we support them or not.

olevetonahill
4/18/2009, 08:37 PM
`No **** .

theresonly1OU
4/18/2009, 09:54 PM
So the best way to launch a sneak attack is to announce it in the paper first?

Heck fire! Who knows what might have happened if our government had only bothered to read the paper in November of 1941?

Israel is surrounded on all sides by countries unfriendly to them; I'm pretty sure this kind of "sneak attack" comes as no surprise to anyone.

The only reason they waited this long to act is because of the pro-Israeli stance of the previous administration. Now, with the tenor of the Obama administration, it seems they don't want to take their chances with a nuclear-armed country whose leader has sworn to see to their demise.

picasso
4/18/2009, 11:15 PM

the new administration doesn't have that much of a choice. Although said administration may have thought so during the "electionation."

anyway, how is this news again?

OU_Sooners75
4/19/2009, 12:27 AM
I hope Isreal does it!

Iran is trying to play like a big dog and Isreal (outside of our US Troops in Iraq) is the strongest and best military in the Middle East.

I hope they do it first thing tomorrow morning!

OU_Sooners75
4/19/2009, 12:29 AM
Let me add this.

**** Iran and their Islamic fundamentalists asses!

Crucifax Autumn
4/19/2009, 12:43 AM
You know what's weird about Iran and has always bugged the shat outta me?

The regular people there love the US. The regular people are the most educated and progressive people in the region. The regular people are actually decent.

You can see what's wrong with this picture. A country FULL of decent, intelligent, America loveing people and this ignorant minority of funamentalist dooshbags is constantly in charge and constantly causing problems.

I wish the regular people would just rise up and overthrow the idiots in charge and move their country and the entire region into the rational world.

Instead, their government is going to get a lot of people killed for irrational hatred and for some disagreement with how Israel handles problems with their neighbors.

Israel AND their neighbors are friggin hateful and stupid, but why should the Iranian people have to suffer for it? There are some evil fockers in Iran, but those bastards aren't the majority and the minority nutjobs in charge are gonna end up getting the decent people killed while they live on to perpetuate more stupidity.

OU_Sooners75
4/19/2009, 12:48 AM
You know what's weird about Iran and has always bugged the shat outta me?

The regular people there love the US. The regular people are the most educated and progressive people in the region. The regular people are actually decent.

You can see what's wrong with this picture. A country FULL of decent, intelligent, America loveing people and this ignorant minority of funamentalist dooshbags is constantly in charge and constantly causing problems.

I wish the regular people would just rise up and overthrow the idiots in charge and move their country and the entire region into the rational world.

Instead, their government is going to get a lot of people killed for irrational hatred and for some disagreement with how Israel handles problems with their neighbors.

Israel AND their neighbors are friggin hateful and stupid, but why should the Iranian people have to suffer for it? There are some evil fockers in Iran, but those bastards aren't the majority and the minority nutjobs in charge are gonna end up getting the decent people killed while they live on to perpetuate more stupidity.

That is what happens when those with the weapons and the proper training get brainwashed!

To correct the entire worlds problems we, the human race, needs to just start over. Throw all religion and BS like that out and start over!

Crucifax Autumn
4/19/2009, 02:27 AM
I'm with ya bro...

Fraggle145
4/19/2009, 02:36 AM
yep.