PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NBA Playoffs - Where Posting About Amazing Happens

bri
4/18/2009, 02:34 PM
If this first game of the Chicago/Boston series is any indication, I'm gonna have a heart attack before the playoffs are over. Good lord this game is aging me in dog years.

tommieharris91
4/18/2009, 03:13 PM
Derrick Rose is jumparoundgocrazy.

bri
4/18/2009, 03:27 PM
And conversely, Brad Miller is where open jumpers go to die. I have a bad feeling about Game 2, but hopefully the Bulls can hold serve at home and grind out a series win.

Also, this just in: Lebron James is good at basketball.

bri
4/18/2009, 11:18 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3633/3454016751_c60549d7e4_o.jpg

bri
4/20/2009, 07:45 PM
Well, the Bulls are hanging with the fackin' Celts again, but their halftime lead is already gone 'cause Jesus Shuttlesworth decided to actually make shots tonight. Gulp.

Sooner04
4/20/2009, 09:06 PM
Oh, bri, if only Joakim Noah knew how to friggin' block out.

Game 3 in Chicago will be nuts.

bri
4/20/2009, 09:18 PM
If only Joakim Noah knew how to friggin' shoot a layup. Or find a way to not let guys a foot shorter than him make jumpshots over him. If he brought appreciable skill to the table, I could live with how damn fugly he is. But since he pretty much lost this one for the Bulls, he's just an freakishly ugly pile of fail from Florida who should die in a fire.

Sooner04
4/20/2009, 09:19 PM
He could get away with that crap at Florida because he was taller and faster than everybody else. Brewer and Horford had the basketball skills, Noah just had the pony tail and bad teeth.

Oh well. At least your team still exists.

bri
4/20/2009, 10:28 PM
Gregg Popovich needs to lose the creepy pedophile beard. He looks like a hobo in a stolen, ill-fitting suit when he wanders out onto the court yelling at people.

bri
4/20/2009, 11:29 PM
We got out everythinged.

Yep, that about sums it up. Still, if anything can take the sting out of a 20+ point beating, it's the fact that the Mavs got the opening split in SA and have homecourt advantage in hand. Just hold serve and it's all good.

GrapevineSooner
4/21/2009, 10:09 AM
Microcosm of Mavs season in those last two games.

They play well and grab Game 1 to ensure the split...so they go out and lay an egg in Game 2.

When this team loses on the road against good teams, they lose big.

Scott D
4/21/2009, 01:20 PM
Microcosm of Mavs season in those last two games.

They play well and grab Game 1 to ensure the split...so they go out and lay an egg in Game 2.

When this team loses on the road against good teams, they lose big.

at least their egg wasn't laid in early november when the beloved point guard was traded to Denver for a malcontent misfit that was placing a square peg into a round hole.

I'd have rather missed the playoffs than to get obliterated by Cleveland in the first round. I already told Bri I'd be surprised if the Pistons lost by a margin closer than the one in game one in the next three games of this sweep.

bri
4/23/2009, 09:13 PM
Brian Cuban would just like to remind everyone that the Spurs suck. :D

http://web5.twitpic.com/img/6499213-363560588aaa98845e5727ca78c93bb3.49f11f62-full.jpg

Sooner04
4/24/2009, 08:46 AM
In regards to the Chicago Bulls, a bigger egg could only be laid by a brachiosaurus.

BillyBall
4/24/2009, 10:11 AM
In regards to the Chicago Bulls, a bigger egg could only be laid by a brachiosaurus.

So disappointed...

bri
4/24/2009, 11:41 AM
Shhh! I'm trying to pretend Chicago/Boston game 3 didn't happen by focusing on how completely the Mavs donkey-punched the Spurs.

Scott D
4/24/2009, 12:43 PM

I'm sure the Pistons will try to outdo the Bulls tonight.

bri
4/26/2009, 03:14 PM
Holy crap, this Bulls/Celts game is making me dizzy. It's cutting into my nap time.

Newbomb Turk
4/26/2009, 03:18 PM
great game - great series.

DallasSooner87
4/27/2009, 10:26 PM
So I would try to say something funny about the Hornets losing by 58!!! today, but that is just sad.

Sooner04
4/28/2009, 09:12 PM
If that's not a flagrant foul then they need to go ahead and strike that rule from the books. Rondo clubbed him in the face.

If he hits LeBron or Kobe in the face like that not only is it a flagrant but he gets suspended.

bri
4/28/2009, 09:25 PM
Brad Miller needs to be hit in the face again, much harder and preferably with a 2x4 wrapped with barbed wire, doused in lighter fluid and set ablaze. diediediediediediediediediedie :mad:

KC//CRIMSON
4/28/2009, 11:11 PM
Brad Miller needs to be hit in the face again, much harder and preferably with a 2x4 wrapped with barbed wire, doused in lighter fluid and set ablaze. diediediediediediediediediedie :mad:

I guess you got the text. :D

GrapevineSooner
4/28/2009, 11:20 PM
Well, the SSSSSSSSSSPurs are out in the first round for the first time since 2000.

I'm sure the Mavs will get destroyed by Denver in the second round, so I'll just go ahead and enjoy this one as much as possible.

bri
4/28/2009, 11:27 PM
Eliminating the Spurs on their home court makes me happy in my pants.

And yep, I got the text but I was too busy wishing death on Brad Miller to respond.

DallasSooner87
4/30/2009, 11:32 PM
Dear every other NBA team,
The Chicago/Boston series is what is supposed to happen when you are fighting for your season. Unless you are severely over matched. You don't lay down and die. (Looking at you Hornets) Anyway go mavs!

Sincerely,
DallasSooner87

PS
May all NBA fans have a remaining merry playoffs.:D

bri
5/1/2009, 11:30 AM
Where "4hrs and 3ot's later, the series is 3-3" happens.

More like "This series is where 'I'm too old for this sh*t' happens".

bri
5/3/2009, 02:51 PM
Mavs are off to a good start in Denver. Or rather, Dirk is. :D

JLEW1818
5/3/2009, 06:38 PM
Mavs are off to a good start in Denver. Or rather, Dirk is. :D

Final score? haha

Now Dallas is 0-5 against Denver this season. Can anyone give me a good argument that they still have a chance?

Eielson
5/3/2009, 09:26 PM
Now Dallas is 0-5 against Denver this season. Can anyone give me a good argument that they still have a chance?

This is where amazing happens.

Curly Bill
5/3/2009, 11:23 PM
Final score? haha

Their chance goes by the name of Slim and None.

GrapevineSooner
5/4/2009, 12:00 PM
Final score? haha

They have about as much of a chance in this series as the Rockets have against the Lakers.

JLEW1818
5/4/2009, 12:56 PM
They have about as much of a chance in this series as the Rockets have against the Lakers.

agree. Lakers in 5.

I think Dallas will prlly get it to 6. maybe 7

JLEW1818
5/5/2009, 01:38 AM
How bout my Rockets tonight? Crazy

GrapevineSooner
5/5/2009, 10:35 AM
My Mavs have a great chance then. ;)

Seriously, I think the Lakers just got a wake up call.

Scott D
5/5/2009, 06:40 PM
I'm bandwagoning for the Nuggets, since the reason they dominated Nawlins should have been in Detroit still :(

Eielson
5/5/2009, 09:51 PM
How bout my Rockets tonight? Crazy

Lakers in 5.

JLEW1818
5/6/2009, 04:37 PM
Lakers in 5.

That was my first prediction, but since Houston stole a game in LA, the series mathematically has to go a minimum of 5 games now, as you know. I can't see LA winning 4 in a row, back to back wins in Houston? doubtful

But who knows.

I'm calling Rockets in 6, or Lakers in 7

Eielson
5/6/2009, 08:50 PM
That was my first prediction, but since Houston stole a game in LA, the series mathematically has to go a minimum of 5 games now, as you know. I can't see LA winning 4 in a row, back to back wins in Houston? doubtful

But who knows.

I'm calling Rockets in 6, or Lakers in 7

As a Laker fan, I'm not worried at all. I see this as 5 or 6 games series that the Lakers win. Battier, Artest, and Yao make a nice defensive trio, but I just don't see them winning it.

Crucifax Autumn
5/6/2009, 09:37 PM
Rockets in 4!!!!!!

*off to watch the game*

soonerboomer93
5/7/2009, 01:45 PM
I'm bandwagoning for the Nuggets, since the reason they dominated Nawlins should have been in Detroit still :(

He just wanted to return home, and to the team that loaned him to detroit...

Scott D
5/7/2009, 04:03 PM
He just wanted to return home, and to the team that loaned him to detroit...

meh...it's the worst move Joe D has made (and he's made some bad moves).

the second worst was letting Mehmut Okur leave for Utah.

Sooner04
5/7/2009, 05:03 PM
Who drafted Darko?

the_ouskull
5/7/2009, 10:10 PM
I know, I know...

Joe DOOOOOOOO-mars!

the_ouskull

Sooner04
5/7/2009, 11:20 PM
If Dumars drafted Darko then that dwarfs anything done with that oaf, Okur.

Scott D
5/8/2009, 01:02 PM
Well, I was referring more to trades/free agency than drafting. Dumars hasn't drafted anyone I'd consider a keeper other than Rodney Stuckey, and he'd be better off coming off the bench at this stage in his career.

Tayshaun Prince is the name popping up in all kinds of trade rumors heading to either Toronto or Nawlins.

Sooner04
5/8/2009, 01:08 PM
Tayshaun Prince is the name popping up in all kinds of trade rumors heading to either Toronto or Nawlins.
I figured he'd be the centerpiece they'd keep to tie the glory in with the rebuilding. If he's gone then they're really blowing it up and starting from scratch.

It'll be interesting to watch. The NBA is a much better league when you've always got Detroit to root against. :)

Scott D
5/8/2009, 01:20 PM
I figured he'd be the centerpiece they'd keep to tie the glory in with the rebuilding. If he's gone then they're really blowing it up and starting from scratch.

It'll be interesting to watch. The NBA is a much better league when you've always got Detroit to root against. :)

Prince had been thought of as the untouchable for so long it seems odd. But apparently there are two directions of thought, him in a package to Toronto for Chris Bosh, or in a package of some sort for Chris Paul.

I won't believe either one has a chance until the day it gets announced. But, I don't think the blowing up and rebuilding is going to take as long as folks think. Both Sheed and Iverson come off the ledger this spring so they've got a lot of cap space available. Problem is, all the top tier free agents aren't out there until next year.

I think the NBA is better when the Knicks are good and you can hate them more :D

GrapevineSooner
5/9/2009, 10:15 PM
About the end of today's Denver-Dallas game...

Nice of the NBA to admit their ref screwed up by not calling the foul on Antoine Wright. Not that I'm going to blame them as Dallas had a four point lead late, let Melo drive the lane without impunity on the next possession, fired off a shot with 6 seconds left on the shot clock instead of running it down more, and missed.

And then on the no-foul call, Wright anticipated the whistle and stopped defending instead of doing what my 6 year old was taught to do in her first year of basketball.

Which is play to the whistle.

Strangely, I feel fine. I figured even if Dallas had won today, Denver would have gone on to win the next two anyway to close them out.

Oh, and today was another reason Mark Cuban needs to stick his butt up in a suite. The call was wrong, but his reaction, as well as Josh Howard's Didier Drogba-like meltdown were an embarrassment.

I realize it's tough to understand how in a game where a crew led by Dwyane Wade's twin was calling it tight throughout, the refs, who had to know Dallas had a foul to give in that situation and would look to use it, could fail to blow the whistle on that play. But maintain a modicum of professionalism, guys.

tulsaoilerfan
5/9/2009, 10:27 PM
Just another example of how badly NBA refs suck

tulsaoilerfan
5/9/2009, 10:30 PM
About the end of today's Denver-Dallas game...

Nice of the NBA to admit their ref screwed up by not calling the foul on Antoine Wright. Not that I'm going to blame them as Dallas had a four point lead late, let Melo drive the lane without impunity on the next possession, fired off a shot with 6 seconds left on the shot clock instead of running it down more, and missed.

And then on the no-foul call, Wright anticipated the whistle and stopped defending instead of doing what my 6 year old was taught to do in her first year of basketball.

Which is play to the whistle.

Strangely, I feel fine. I figured even if Dallas had won today, Denver would have gone on to win the next two anyway to close them out.

Oh, and today was another reason Mark Cuban needs to stick his butt up in a suite. The call was wrong, but his reaction, as well as Josh Howard's Didier Drogba-like meltdown were an embarrassment.

I realize it's tough to understand how in a game where a crew led by Dwyane Wade's twin was calling it tight throughout, the refs, who had to know Dallas had a foul to give in that situation and would look to use it, could fail to blow the whistle on that play. But maintain a modicum of professionalism, guys.

Easier said than done; would any of us reacted any differently in the heat of battle?

GrapevineSooner
5/9/2009, 10:41 PM
Easier said than done; would any of us reacted any differently in the heat of battle?

You and I are fans.

Josh is a player and Mark is an owner. There's a certain level of professionalism that is expected of these guys.

I can understand yelling at the refs over the blown call at the end because they deserve it.

But Cuban crossed the line by shoving aside a local TV cameraman and Josh just acted like an all around idiot by flailing his arms. I've criticized the Spurs because of the theatrics they display when a call doesn't go their way.

It's only right that I call out my own team for doing it.

tulsaoilerfan
5/9/2009, 11:58 PM
You and I are fans.

Josh is a player and Mark is an owner. There's a certain level of professionalism that is expected of these guys.

I can understand yelling at the refs over the blown call at the end because they deserve it.

But Cuban crossed the line by shoving aside a local TV cameraman and Josh just acted like an all around idiot by flailing his arms. I've criticized the Spurs because of the theatrics they display when a call doesn't go their way.

It's only right that I call out my own team for doing it.

Cuban always crosses the line; maybe that's why the Mavs get screwed by the refs so much; still, u have to admire that he's one of the few owners in team sports that really gives a damn about his team winning or losing

GrapevineSooner
5/10/2009, 12:23 AM
Cuban always crosses the line; maybe that's why the Mavs get screwed by the refs so much; still, u have to admire that he's one of the few owners in team sports that really gives a damn about his team winning or losing

Compared to Tom Hicks and Jerry Jones, Cuban is the best owner in Dallas. But he needs anger management classes. And some of his players could stand to to learn a few things there as well.

Scott D
5/10/2009, 01:16 AM
Compared to Tom Hicks and Jerry Jones, Cuban is the best owner in Dallas. But he needs anger management classes. And some of his players could stand to to learn a few things there as well.

look at the bright side, if the rumors have any truth to them the only teams that Tom Hicks will be owning will be the ones at the local soup kitchen.

Oh, and I have as many reasons to cheer against the Mavs (Carlisle) as I do to cheer for the Nuggets (Billups).

the_ouskull
5/10/2009, 11:00 AM

I wouldn't say that Cuban needs anger management, but I don't think that there's such a thing as tantrum management classes.

the_ouskull

JLEW1818
5/10/2009, 12:45 PM
Yao out for season.. Why does God hate the Rockets?

GrapevineSooner
5/10/2009, 03:46 PM
God just hates skinny 7-footers.

Except for Shawn Bradley. I think he actually feels sorry for the Stormin' Mormon, who I once saw in a North Dallas 7-11 getting Slurpees for his kids.

the_ouskull
5/10/2009, 09:40 PM
Yao isn't skinny, man. Have you seen the trunks on that guy? It's his wheels that keep falling off...

the_ouskull

GrapevineSooner
5/10/2009, 11:47 PM
The NBA is a much better league when you've always got Detroit to root against. :)

So is the NHL. :D

Crucifax Autumn
5/11/2009, 01:07 AM
And look what happened boys! The rockets stomped that *** today! In matching up with the Lakers Houston seems to be better without Yao.

I hope this is true against them the rest of the way and true against everyone else.

Yao can get his glory when Houston has their repeat next year!

Scott D
5/11/2009, 02:06 PM
Houston is only having any success because Vince Carter's cousin got injured and is missing the playoffs.

Sooner04
5/11/2009, 04:03 PM
So is the NHL. :D
I haven't watched the NHL since Carolina stole away my beloved Hartford Whalers.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of fight the Mavericks put up tonight. 2-2-1-1-1 series always pique my interest. I love the format, and I'd love to see what happens if Dallas gets Game 4 tonight.

The Hawks, on the other hand, are most certainly doomed. The Cavaliers are just slaughtering people right now.

JLEW1818
5/11/2009, 05:07 PM
Houston is only having any success because Vince Carter's cousin got injured and is missing the playoffs.

I'd say the addition of Ron Artest is the main reason Houston got out of the 2nd round. We have been stuck in the first round the last 12 years, but the first season we get RonRon, we move on.

But yes, I think the rockets are a better "team" without tmac.

sooner59
5/11/2009, 11:28 PM
This game 4 with Dallas and Denver is the most ridiculously officiated game that I have EVER seen. Just to be clear, I am not a Dallas fan. If anything, I am a Cleveland fan because of LeBron. But how many technical and flagrant fouls are there going to be? 10 or 20 years ago, these are regular hard fouls. Now, the refs are T-ing people up at the drop of a hat. 7 technicals already. I just want to watch a good basketball game. The refs are ruining the entire game, and probably series for me. I will say one thing. Dirk Nowitzki is a very calm player. He and Carmelo are amazing. Billups is also playing very well. But I just feel like I got robbed as a fan of the NBA this series due to the refs. If they just let them play a little more maybe the NBA would be more interesting. David Stern seems like a great commissioner but lately he is ordering the refs to render the game frustrating and boring. Thats just my two cents.

JLEW1818
5/11/2009, 11:32 PM
lol, i'm watching... keep watching refs bout to win in for den

JLEW1818
5/12/2009, 12:01 AM
very surprised. Stern must be running low on cash and needs it to go 5+

DallasSooner87
5/12/2009, 04:30 PM
Technical foul jlew for questioning the league. :D

GrapevineSooner
5/12/2009, 05:30 PM
This just in, the NBA has upgraded jlew's post to a Flagrant 2.

You are hereby suspended from commenting about tonight's Rockets game. ;)

GrapevineSooner
5/12/2009, 06:04 PM
In other news, I'm trying to figure out why Carmelo Anthony wasn't thrown out of last night's game with his open handed shove/punch on Antoine Wright.

I know star power has NOTHING to do with these decisions, right?

JLEW1818
5/12/2009, 06:20 PM
This just in, the NBA has upgraded jlew's post to a Flagrant 2.

You are hereby suspended from commenting about tonight's Rockets game. ;)

hahahaha

I be at the bar.....

JLEW1818
5/12/2009, 06:21 PM
In other news, I'm trying to figure out why Carmelo Anthony wasn't thrown out of last night's game with his open handed shove/punch on Antoine Wright.

I know star power has NOTHING to do with these decisions, right?

Great Question. I was thinking the same thing.

Crucifax Autumn
5/12/2009, 09:17 PM
Rockets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This game need to get started already!

Collier11
5/12/2009, 09:19 PM
Ray Allen is the best pure shooter I have ever seen, and pretty damn clutch at that

Curly Bill
5/12/2009, 10:02 PM
Ray Allen is the best pure shooter I have ever seen, and pretty damn clutch at that

Ever see Walter Davis?

Collier11
5/12/2009, 10:05 PM
no but I did see walter matthau

Curly Bill
5/12/2009, 10:10 PM
no but I did see walter matthau

:P That's not the same!

Anyway, I haven't seen any Walter highlights in forever, so I wouldn't want to say he was a better shooter than Ray Allen or not, but he could stroke the jumper.

Eielson
5/13/2009, 12:52 PM
Rockets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This game need to get started already!

40 points! :P

JLEW1818
5/13/2009, 05:50 PM
40 points! :P

didn't see that one coming. :mad:

Crucifax Autumn
5/15/2009, 12:58 AM
And again I have to say...Game 7 on Sunday bitches!!!!!!

Even if Houston manages to lose, they have ****ing character and they did what they were not supposed to do.

And if they win...Clutch City, Heart of a Champion and all that!!!!!

Collier11
5/15/2009, 01:06 AM
And again I have to say...Game 7 on Sunday bitches!!!!!!

Even if Houston manages to lose, they have ****ing character and they did what they were not supposed to do.

And if they win...dirty nasty skanky City, Heart of a Champion and all that!!!!!

Fixed! :D

Crucifax Autumn
5/15/2009, 01:30 AM
I have a feeling that the Rockets might actually pull this out. Kobe seems about ready to flip out and when he does it's gonna be technicals from hell. He came close to picking up a second in one game tonight and I seriosly hope he loses it Sunday.

I can see him attempting a rape on Battier Sunday if he steals a few or blocks some shots and Artest can draw him in easy if he keeps his own cool.

Collier11
5/15/2009, 01:42 AM
there is no way the nba will let LA lose, I bet the FT ratio is easily 2-1

JLEW1818
5/15/2009, 01:52 AM
Hear me out,

The Rocket beat the Lakers twice without their two highest paid players, Tmac and Yao.

Please look at everyteam that way.

LA, take away Kobe and Gasol

Cleveland, take away Lebron and Williams

Spurs, take away Duncan and parker

DALLAS, take away Dirk and Kidd

Denver, take away Chanuncy and Carmelo

****ING SERIOUS, LOOK WHAT THE ROCKETS ARE DOING WITH OUT THERE TWO HIGHEST PAID PLAYERS!!!!! **** OFF NBA, HOUSTON IS THE ****.

and yes Collier, the nba will fix it. Crawford will be reffing this game.

Crucifax Autumn
5/15/2009, 02:11 AM
Give their asses the FTs...and just hit the ****ing 3s every trip and win anyway!

Screw the lamers, screw the rapist, screw the NBA and their favoritism, screw espn and their dumb kobe documentary, screw spike lee and jack nicholson, screw phil, screw thier city, screw their whole team.

I hope kobe freaks out and starts rabdomly raping fans until he has a stroke.

I can't stand the whole golden boy thing and when a payoff rapist gets to hold that title I hope they keel over dead or at the very least wig out on camera and fall from grace.

All that said, I hope he makes it through the game healthy but gets held to 9 points and a big loss.

Crucifax Autumn
5/15/2009, 02:11 AM
Did I mention I friggin' hate that sonofabitch?????

Collier11
5/15/2009, 09:03 AM

completely possible

Sooner04
5/15/2009, 09:04 AM
Game 7 between the Lakers and Rockets will be as poorly officiated as those Lakers/Kings debacles from the early part of the decade.

I'd bet the king's forest on L.A.

Scott D
5/15/2009, 12:24 PM
Hear me out,

The Rocket beat the Lakers twice without their two highest paid players, Tmac and Yao.

****ING SERIOUS, LOOK WHAT THE ROCKETS ARE DOING WITH OUT THERE TWO HIGHEST PAID PLAYERS!!!!! **** OFF NBA, HOUSTON IS THE ****.

I'd argue that the Rockets are 300x better as a team without Vince Carter's cousin.

Eielson
5/15/2009, 10:38 PM
Hear me out,

The Rockets are better off without T-Mac and at least against the Lakers, better without Yao.

Eielson
5/15/2009, 10:49 PM
Game 7 between the Lakers and Rockets will be as poorly officiated as those Lakers/Kings debacles from the early part of the decade.

I'd bet the king's forest on L.A.

Ha! Let's act like the Lakers never deserved anything! Let's act like Shaq in his prime isn't better than any other big man currently in the NBA in their prime! Let's act like Kobe in his prime isn't better than any other guard currently in the NBA in their prime! Let's act like Phil Jackson isn't the best coach in the NBA!

Eielson
5/15/2009, 10:50 PM

I can't stand the whole golden boy thing and when a payoff rapist gets to hold that title I hope they keel over dead

I think you might need some help.

Sooner04
5/15/2009, 11:31 PM
Ha! Let's act like the Lakers never deserved anything! Let's act like Shaq in his prime isn't better than any other big man currently in the NBA in their prime! Let's act like Kobe in his prime isn't better than any other guard currently in the NBA in their prime! Let's act like Phil Jackson isn't the best coach in the NBA!
The Lakers were great, but I'm talking mainly about the squabbling Lakers of 2002 and the rooking the Kings had to endure. Particularly Game 6:

The Lakers won Game 6, attempting 18 more free throws than the Kings in the fourth quarter, and went on to win the 2002 NBA Finals.
It was awful. AWFUL. It led to me tuning out the NBA for a few years, and that's saying a lot because I've always loved the NBA.

Curly Bill
5/15/2009, 11:42 PM
I also used to be a huge NBA fan...

...they've lost all credibility with me as well.

Eielson
5/16/2009, 12:41 AM
The Lakers were great, but I'm talking mainly about the squabbling Lakers of 2002 and the rooking the Kings had to endure. Particularly Game 6:

It was awful. AWFUL. It led to me tuning out the NBA for a few years, and that's saying a lot because I've always loved the NBA.

I love how people seem to like mentioning the Lakers getting more free throws than everybody else, but conveniently forget the 2004 NBA Finals. In all 5 games the Pistons outshot the Lakers. I'd like to draw special attention to games 3 and 4.

Game 1:
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=240606013

Game 2:
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=240608013

Game 3:
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=240610008
+17 Pistons

Game 4:
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=240613008
+19 Pistons, and I believe this included some Hack-a-Shaq

Game 5:
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=240615008

And my personal favorite from last year-

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280608002

Scott D
5/16/2009, 08:50 AM
probably because in the 2004 finals the only Lakers that had a chance to score were Shaq and Kobe. No one else on that team saw the ball much at all. Don't hate that a better team beat that precious duo.

Curly Bill
5/16/2009, 12:28 PM
The Pistons were all about being physical and taking the ball to the rim - of course they shot more free throws.

If the NBA didn't love the Lakers so, the difference in FT's would have been even greater.

Eielson
5/16/2009, 01:04 PM
The Pistons were all about being physical and taking the ball to the rim - of course they shot more free throws.

If the NBA didn't love the Lakers so, the difference in FT's would have been even greater.

Oh, so we can make an excuse like this when FT shooting goes against the Lakers, but when it goes in the Lakers favor it must just be that the league is rigging it for them.

Shaq and Kobe drew more fouls than just about anybody in the league. I don't mean just what the refs called. I mean actual fouls, and a lot went uncalled. It could easily be argued that some of these games should have been an even bigger differential, especially when you figure in hack-a-shaq. It is going to happen that a team will get noticeably more free throws than the other team, but when a team outshoots the other team on free throws EVERY SINGLE GAME and averages 10-12 more free throws each game, something doesn't seem right. Just because a team is more "physical" doesn't mean that the other team shouldn't shoot free throws. It actually means they SHOULD shoot more, but I do realize that isn't always the case.

Oh, and when a team outshoots another team 38-10 in a crucial game of the NBA Finals, that's not right either.

Curly Bill
5/16/2009, 01:08 PM
NBA officiating sucks, and is often blatantly one-sided. Over the years no teams have gotten more love from the officials than the Lakers and the Celtics.

...and Dwayne Wade. :mad:

GrapevineSooner
5/16/2009, 02:23 PM
I've already addressed this issue, so there's really no point in rehashing it.

I will say that if Dallas hadn't have blown a 13 point lead in the final six minutes of Game 3, it probably would not have even gotten to that fateful Sunday night in South Florida.

And even though the Kings were jobbed in Game 6 of the 2002 WCF, they still had Game 7 on their home floor and lost in OT in part because they shot 16 of 30 from the charity stripe.

Which is to say, bad officiating and bad calls matter in a game. Let's stop pretending that they don't.

But that, alone, doesn't win or lose games.

Scott D
5/16/2009, 03:32 PM
Oh, so we can make an excuse like this when FT shooting goes against the Lakers, but when it goes in the Lakers favor it must just be that the league is rigging it for them.

Shaq and Kobe drew more fouls than just about anybody in the league. I don't mean just what the refs called. I mean actual fouls, and a lot went uncalled. It could easily be argued that some of these games should have been an even bigger differential, especially when you figure in hack-a-shaq. It is going to happen that a team will get noticeably more free throws than the other team, but when a team outshoots the other team on free throws EVERY SINGLE GAME and averages 10-12 more free throws each game, something doesn't seem right. Just because a team is more "physical" doesn't mean that the other team shouldn't shoot free throws. It actually means they SHOULD shoot more, but I do realize that isn't always the case.

Oh, and when a team outshoots another team 38-10 in a crucial game of the NBA Finals, that's not right either.

I remember that 2004 Laker team trying to play a style that wasn't theirs and committing fouls because of it. But once again, we'll point out that it wasn't a rugged style of play that doomed the Lakers, it was making everyone not named Shaq a complete non-factor. Basically the Pistons didn't need to foul him (but were willing to) because nobody was getting him the ball, especially late in the game. And to top it off, none of them could make shots.

Eielson
5/16/2009, 05:43 PM
NBA officiating is better than college or high school.

Curly Bill
5/16/2009, 06:04 PM
NBA officiating is better than college or high school.

...and that's saying how much? Answer: not much, and not only that but too many times it's obvious that NBA games are officiated with an agenda. This can happen in college and high school too, but I don't believe it's as common.

Crucifax Autumn
5/17/2009, 02:20 PM
Well, the game starts in a few minutes.

I hope the naysayers are correct and the Lakers get called on their fair share of fouls. And I personally hope that rage that Artest has been drawing out of Kobe surfaces again and he gets a couple of early technicals so it will be clear that it was his fault they lost! lol

Eielson
5/17/2009, 04:31 PM
Anybody think this was the refs?

Eielson
5/17/2009, 04:41 PM
...and that's saying how much? Answer: not much

Well then why are we singling out NBA refs? Why don't we just say that all basketball refs suck? In fact we've seen what has happened to OU in football, strike zones are inconsistent, and even figure skating gets rigged! Why don't we just say ALL refs suck?

In all seriousness, I'm amazed at some of the calls that NBA refs are able to make without replay. Sure, they get some wrong, but all refs at all levels do. It always amazes me that people can say that they hate the NBA because of the refs, but somehow believe that the other sports have perfect officiating.

Curly Bill
5/17/2009, 05:31 PM
Where did anyone say other sports have perfect officiating?

Curly Bill
5/17/2009, 05:32 PM
...and why would anyone get their panties in a bunch because others were criticizing NBA officials. :rolleyes: :O

Eielson
5/17/2009, 06:02 PM
Where did anyone say other sports have perfect officiating?

So nobody is a big fan of any sports?

Curly Bill
5/17/2009, 06:04 PM
So nobody is a big fan of any sports?

This is your answer to: Where did anyone say other sports have perfect officiating?

What kind of drugs are you on, or do you simply not comprehend what you read?

JLEW1818
5/17/2009, 07:30 PM
not that it would have made a difference, but i totally called that Joey Crawford would be reffing this game. Stern wanted to make sure that there was not way the Rockets could win this game.

Eielson
5/17/2009, 11:04 PM
This is your answer to: Where did anyone say other sports have perfect officiating?

What kind of drugs are you on, or do you simply not comprehend what you read?

Nobody is a big fan of the NBA because it has bad officiating. Well, if we agree that the officiating of other sports isn't much better, why would they like those sports?

JLEW1818
5/19/2009, 10:53 PM
wow Denver blew a golden opportunity

GrapevineSooner
5/20/2009, 01:43 PM
Nobody is a big fan of the NBA because it has bad officiating. Well, if we agree that the officiating of other sports isn't much better, why would they like those sports?

Because in other sports, the officiating doesn't have as big of an impact as it does in the NBA.

Part of that is by the nature of the sport. But the other part is because of the dreaded star-system of officiating where the refs check to see WHO you are before deciding whether or not you get the call.

JLEW1818
5/20/2009, 10:41 PM
Cavs with the choke

Eielson
5/21/2009, 11:00 PM
Any explanations for why the Nuggets benefited from the officiating instead of the Lakers?

Collier11
5/21/2009, 11:20 PM
cus Kobe is a crying whining b*tch, but I thought it was called pretty fairly. The refs let them play quite a bit

JLEW1818
5/21/2009, 11:53 PM
Any time the Lakers lose on their home court, it's their own damn fault, regardless if the officiating was bad.

Kobe hit 2 game tying shots, and on the third try he dribbled it off Nene's fat foot. ha

I see both of these series going at least 6 games... probably 7 games.

I hope the finals goes 7 games too.

then it will end up being like July.... and football will almost be here.

Scott D
5/22/2009, 01:49 PM
anyone notice how Eielson whines about the officiating after the Lakers lose a game. Forget that Denver made the plays they had to down the stretch to win, just as LA made the plays they needed to down the stretch to win Game 1. This series can easily go 7.

JLEW1818
5/22/2009, 03:42 PM
yep, like i said. LA bitching about the refs? ????? hahahahahaha.

Collier11
5/22/2009, 03:48 PM
A perfect example was at the end where Kobe thew up his arms in disgust and yelled at the refs cus they didnt call foul in the last 10 seconds but when they showed the replay no one even touched Chauncey Billups

JLEW1818
5/22/2009, 04:02 PM
A perfect example was at the end where Kobe thew up his arms in disgust and yelled at the refs cus they didnt call foul in the last 10 seconds but when they showed the replay no one even touched Chauncey Billups

2 more Technical fouls on Kobe and he gets a 1 game suspension !

Eielson
5/22/2009, 04:10 PM
anyone notice how Eielson whines about the officiating after the Lakers lose a game. Forget that Denver made the plays they had to down the stretch to win, just as LA made the plays they needed to down the stretch to win Game 1. This series can easily go 7.

I guess my post just went completely over your head.

It was sarcasm directed at the Anti-Laker's Cult on here. On the jump ball late in the game, JR Smith made an obvious violation by going into the jump ball circle and then after that Ariza was knocked over with no foul being called. If the NBA was rigged for the Lakers, there is no way that either of these go uncalled. This play pretty much sealed the deal.

JLEW1818
5/22/2009, 04:11 PM
I think its somewhat rigged... the nba wants the Lakers to win... but not till game 6 or 7

Eielson
5/22/2009, 04:15 PM
cus Kobe is a crying whining b*tch, but I thought it was called pretty fairly. The refs let them play quite a bit

I thought it was a pretty fairly called all game. The play near the end was a blown call, but I felt the Lakers just blew it. The Lakers played better than the Nuggets and should have won Game 2. Before people get upset and call me biased, I felt that Game 1 was almost the exact opposite.

Oh, and Chauncey Billups stepped out of bounds before what could have been a huge 3 pointer near the end of the game! :eek:

Eielson
5/22/2009, 04:18 PM

Fisher did touch him, but I do agree there was no foul. Refs often will call fouls immediately when they believe the other team is trying to foul on purpose. This is why setting a trap late in the game can be frustrating. I can't complain about the way that was called, but I can see why Kobe would be upset in such a big moment like that. That is about as far as I will go when it comes to defending Kobe, because I don't like him either.

Collier11
5/22/2009, 04:29 PM
Kobe gets away with some vicious and intentional elbows because he is Kobe and im not just talking about the one on Artest. He does it after many shots and then just blames it on he is creating space. No he is dirty, I could care less if the rapist fouled out of every game

Eielson
5/22/2009, 04:42 PM
Kobe gets away with some vicious and intentional elbows because he is Kobe and im not just talking about the one on Artest. He does it after many shots and then just blames it on he is creating space. No he is dirty, I could care less if the rapist fouled out of every game

He throws elbows, he gets elbowed. He gets away with some fouls, and he gets fouled even more.

Collier11
5/22/2009, 04:46 PM
no, Kobe gets away with far more than he should. Im glad to see Carmelo roughing him up a bit, it is funny to see him whine so much

Eielson
5/22/2009, 06:28 PM
no, Kobe gets away with far more than he should. Im glad to see Carmelo roughing him up a bit, it is funny to see him whine so much

I disagree, but I don't really want to get into, because like I said, I don't like him either.

Collier11
5/22/2009, 06:33 PM
Im not necessarily trying to argue with you, just pointing out that Kobe is a punk and he deserves everything that comes at him

JLEW1818
5/23/2009, 10:39 PM
and that my friends is why Kobe Bryant does not need a buzzer beater to win a game!

arnold
6/20/2009, 11:45 AM
Brad Miller is where open jumpers go to die. I have a bad feeling about Game 2, but hopefully the Bulls can hold serve at home and grind out a series win

Eielson
6/20/2009, 01:00 PM
Brad Miller is where open jumpers go to die. I have a bad feeling about Game 2, but hopefully the Bulls can hold serve at home and grind out a series win

Can we ban this guy yet?

JLEW1818
6/20/2009, 10:45 PM
lol