PDA

View Full Version : Gresham arrested... for not paying a seatbelt fine

badger
4/15/2009, 02:00 PM
Yes, Norman PD arrested Gresham just for not paying a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090415_92_0_NRAkao749644)

Have I ever mentioned how much I detest Norman PD? Perhaps they shoud've just had him do some community service instead of handcuffing him... you know, like one of those seatbelt ads that Tommie Harris did a few years back.

Widescreen
4/15/2009, 02:02 PM
Or, when these kids get a fine, they might consider paying it in a timely fashion and avoid the problem altogether. Gresham does have some culpability here.

badger
4/15/2009, 02:03 PM
Or, when these kids get a fine, they might consider paying it in a timely fashion and avoid the problem altogether. Gresham does have some culpability here.

Isn't the initial fine like $15 bucks or so, but if you forget to pay it went up to the $349 Jermaine had to pay? Oy!

OUDoc
4/15/2009, 02:05 PM
Our program is out of control!!!!!!
;)

Breadburner
4/15/2009, 02:05 PM
He had a warrant I doubt they had a choice....

BornandBred
4/15/2009, 02:10 PM
As much as I'd love to jump on the 'flame the NPD' bandwagon for this, it's his fault. Pay the daggum thing and move one. I suspect he just forgot and this got all blown out of proportion. Not a big deal, really.

Mjcpr
4/15/2009, 02:12 PM
Isn't the initial fine like $15 bucks or so, but if you forget to pay it went up to the $349 Jermaine had to pay? Oy!

All the more reason to pay it on time.

yermom
4/15/2009, 02:13 PM
$20 for the seatbelt tax

that's dumb that he didn't pay it. but the law is even dumber

Dan Thompson
4/15/2009, 02:28 PM
Did the school notify the NCAA? Is the program in trouble?

Jello Biafra
4/15/2009, 03:03 PM
$20 for the seatbelt tax

agreed. they spent more money than the ticket was worth just having to sign the bench warrant.

DMAFB_Sooner08
4/15/2009, 03:06 PM
lack of institutional control...NCAA will throw the book at us and we are DOOMED!

goingoneight
4/15/2009, 03:11 PM
Geez... what's next? Linebackers peeing in public? I hope the Texas fans go easy on us for all that talking we did about their players' armed robbery and rape charges. It's karma, I tell you.

BornandBred
4/15/2009, 03:14 PM
Stoops should suspend him indefinitely, force all the team to take seat belt management courses, and vacate all wins for the previous 2 and following 2 years. A written apology should be crafted by Boren and hand delivered to the honorable Coach Carroll for tarnishing his game. We are DOOOMED!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/15/2009, 03:16 PM
http://www.wtsc.wa.gov/pie/factsheets/ntsbe_fact3.php

Effective July 1 2007, a seat belt ticket costs $124. Fines are set by the Legislature and the Washington Supreme Court under RCW 46.63.110(3). (WTSC)

i've never gotten one in the 5 times i've been pulled over for doing less than 3 mph over the speed limit. (those tickets were $140 a piece)

TMcGee86
4/15/2009, 03:32 PM
This is actually a good thing. It means that no rich boosters are paying our kids fines.

Dan Thompson
4/15/2009, 03:38 PM
Are the Seat Belt Management classes for grades or are they credit/no credit?

cvsooner
4/15/2009, 03:55 PM
How quickly we've forgotten Corey Wilson. The seatbelt law isn't a dumb thing, at all. It was dumb not to pay the fine. It's downright stupid to not wear your seatbelt.

sitzpinkler
4/15/2009, 04:08 PM
How quickly we've forgotten Corey Wilson. The seatbelt law isn't a dumb thing, at all. It was dumb not to pay the fine. It's downright stupid to not wear your seatbelt.

Seatbelt laws are nanny-state nonsense. If I want to be stupid and not wear my seatbelt, it should be my choice.

Wearing a condom when you're single is a good idea too. Should there be a law enforcing it?

yermom
4/15/2009, 04:25 PM
it's legal to ride a motorcycle with NO HELMET in Oklahoma. even with a helmet, you don't have a seatbelt

but they can pull you over if they see you aren't wearing a seatbelt in a car

should you wear it? yes

should you be forced to by Big Brother? no

DMAFB_Sooner08
4/15/2009, 04:26 PM
Wearing a condom when you're single is a good idea too. Should there be a law enforcing it?

you would be surprised

yermom
4/15/2009, 04:27 PM
http://www.wtsc.wa.gov/pie/factsheets/ntsbe_fact3.php

i've never gotten one in the 5 times i've been pulled over for doing less than 3 mph over the speed limit. (those tickets were $140 a piece)

i'm glad i never did any driving in Warshington :eek:

if you want to get busted for speeding, Las Vegas, NM is the place, as far as i can tell

badger
4/15/2009, 04:30 PM
My problem is not with the ticket. My problem is with them arresting Gresham over this long after the warrant went out.

Norman PD could have solved this problem easily by calling the OU Athletic Department and saying "Hey, we don't want to arrest your guy, but he has an outstanding warrant and we will be forced to act on it unless he pays his fine now."

The issue could have been resolved so much easier, much like Norman's speeding issues could be solved a lot easier than having cops parked at speed trap spots just waiting to issue 20 tickets per hour.

(yes, I'm still bitter)

Perhaps this is a failure to communicate between OU and the Norman PD, but let's face it, as long as OU has its own PD, that probably won't happen.

JLEW1818
4/15/2009, 04:32 PM
it's legal to ride a motorcycle with NO HELMET in Oklahoma. even with a helmet, you don't have a seatbelt

should you wear it? yes

damn, I've actually never thought about it that way. good point

yermom
4/15/2009, 04:37 PM
My problem is not with the ticket. My problem is with them arresting Gresham over this long after the warrant went out.

Norman PD could have solved this problem easily by calling the OU Athletic Department and saying "Hey, we don't want to arrest your guy, but he has an outstanding warrant and we will be forced to act on it unless he pays his fine now."

The issue could have been resolved so much easier, much like Norman's speeding issues could be solved a lot easier than having cops parked at speed trap spots just waiting to issue 20 tickets per hour.

(yes, I'm still bitter)

Perhaps this is a failure to communicate between OU and the Norman PD, but let's face it, as long as OU has its own PD, that probably won't happen.

i don't think they go down the list of warrants and look people up for traffic violations like this. he was probably pulled over again and they checked him for warrants

soonerfan28
4/15/2009, 04:40 PM
i don't think they go down the list of warrants and look people up for traffic violations like this. he was probably pulled over again and they checked him for warrants

That would be my guess. If I'm not mistaken I believe that Broken Arrow has like over a million dollars that people owe for unpaid tickets, so I think it would be ridiculous to issue a warrant on an unpaid seatbelt ticket when we have bigger issues in the world.

Collier11
4/15/2009, 04:44 PM
Dont cops have anything better to do than arrest people for stupid crap like this???

oudivesherpa
4/15/2009, 04:51 PM
I usually try to be positive but when it comes to the Norman PD they are just out of control. I graduated from OU 40 years ago and they were out of control then....No, I never got a ticket or arrested but several of my friends did...peeing behind a tree...peeing in public....they wouldn't have been peeing if there wasn't sooo much beer available. Yet it's on their record and it's hard to get admitted to Law School or get a teaching certificate if you're a know public pisser or non seat bealt wearer. The NPD can mess with the general student population but F*** with OU Football and it's war. It's time to throw the rascals out of City Hall and fire the police chief! Better yet, try the police chief for war crimes, genocide against OU Football!

Now I'll take my valium and I'll be alright.

Frozen Sooner
4/15/2009, 04:55 PM
Seatbelt laws are nanny-state nonsense. If I want to be stupid and not wear my seatbelt, it should be my choice.

Yeah, it's called the child support enforcement act. ;)

Leroy Lizard
4/15/2009, 05:25 PM
He simply procrastinated, and it caught up with him. We have all done stuff like that. No big deal.

Curly Bill
4/15/2009, 05:30 PM
The seatbelt law is ghey...

...it's a way for the govt. to get our $$$ while acting like they give a ****.

...and even if they do give a ****, just keep your nanny-state nose outta my bizness.

Collier11
4/15/2009, 05:41 PM
its just like how we have to pay more $ to fight our tickets than to just pay them

soonerspiff
4/15/2009, 06:08 PM

should you wear it? yes

I used to not wear a seatbelt specifically for this reason, which I admit is dumb, but if people can sky dive and bungee jump, I figure I should not have to wear a seatbelt.

But my car now beeps at me if I forget. :O

Widescreen
4/15/2009, 07:02 PM

Is that a courtesy they already extend to everyone? Or are you suggesting he should get an extra courtesy because he's a bigtime college football player?

tulsaoilerfan
4/15/2009, 07:16 PM
Add me to the list that thinks seatbelt laws are not needed(except for children); we all know the consequences but it should be our choice, not the governments

SoonerKnight
4/15/2009, 07:30 PM
They did not have to arrest him for that. :rolleyes:

AlbqSooner
4/15/2009, 08:11 PM
Add me to the list that thinks seatbelt laws are not needed(except for children); we all know the consequences but it should be our choice, not the governments

While a part of me agrees, I would suggest that seat belt wearing be voluntary. However, if you are injured in a car wreck and not wearing a seat belt, medical care should be YOUR responsibility, not the taxpayers.

OU-HSV
4/15/2009, 08:18 PM
While a part of me agrees, I would suggest that seat belt wearing be voluntary. However, if you are injured in a car wreck and not wearing a seat belt, medical care should be YOUR responsibility, not the taxpayers.

Good point

East Coast Bias
4/15/2009, 08:35 PM
However its okay for taxpayers to pay for the medical cost if a motorcyclist gets hurt not wearing a helmet? We don't have either of those laws up here in "Live free or Die" land.....

badger
4/15/2009, 09:02 PM
Is that a courtesy they already extend to everyone? Or are you suggesting he should get an extra courtesy because he's a bigtime college football player?
I think extending that courtesy to OU football players would in fact be a courtesy to everyone :D

A-M
4/15/2009, 09:19 PM
However its okay for taxpayers to pay for the medical cost if a motorcyclist gets hurt not wearing a helmet? We don't have either of those laws up here in "Live free or Die" land.....

I ride a motorcycle and wear a helmet because I want to wear one. However, I do think it a stupid thing to say that the government cares about me so much this I MUST wear a seatbelt in a car with all that protection around me, but on a motorcycle, they just don't give a care about me and won't tell me to wear a helmet. Why don't they just make up their mind about how much they care. Helmet or no helmet, seatbelt or no seatbelt, make up your mind, either protect me or don't protect. You can't have it both ways!

OKC-SLC
4/15/2009, 09:27 PM

Not that it necessarily has a place in this thread, but I'll bowl you a better one:

Your medical care should be your responsibility, not the taxpayers'. ALL THE TIME.

Feeding my kids is my responsibility. Putting a roof over my family is my responsibility. Paying for my car insurance is my responsibility. Why shouldn't health care for my family be my responsibility as well?

(sorry)

OU-HSV
4/15/2009, 09:32 PM
Not that it necessarily has a place in this thread, but I'll bowl you a better one:

Your medical care should be your responsibility, not the taxpayers'. ALL THE TIME.

Feeding my kids is my responsibility. Putting a roof over my family is my responsibility. Paying for my car insurance is my responsibility. Why shouldn't health care for my family be my responsibility as well?

(sorry)

Word :pop:

soonerspiff
4/15/2009, 09:40 PM

I agree that this should be the case in my instance where I used to purposefully not wear a seatbelt in protest. But say you're pulling out of a parking lot, forgot to put on your belt and you're side swiped? It's not always so cut and dry. Honestly, I wonder how many people it slips their mind to "click-it-or-ticket" on occasion? I'd bet quite a few.

I don't want to pay their medical bills either, but geez, we're all human.

*EDIT: I'm not saying we should not take responsibility for our own Healthcare! Don't want to go there.

Sooner Eclipse
4/15/2009, 09:46 PM

(sorry)

completely agree....

On the helmet law - some studies show that helmet laws are increasing medical costs. Those that would die w/o a helmet, are now many times just horribly maimed and on artificial support.

As for the seatbelt law - its nanny state BS. As someone who works for a company whose business and reputation is automotive safety, and as someone who almost certainly would have died if I would have had a seatbelt on the night a semi hit me head on on a state highway, I think I have a pretty good perspective on this. Im not saying its a good idea not to wear it, but not always.

Its just another way for the state to exercise unnecessary control over us, tax us, and tell us how much they care about us while they're screwing us.

IronSoonerMan
4/15/2009, 10:01 PM
$20 for the seatbelt tax

This! whats next we have to wear elbow pads in case we fall while walking?:eek:

goingoneight
4/15/2009, 10:02 PM
Seat belts keep you restrained... not always a good thing.

The helmet law versus the seatbelt law is an interesting comparison. Never thought of it that way.

Curly Bill
4/15/2009, 10:24 PM

Medical expenses should be YOUR responsibility and not the taxpayers regardless.

Frozen Sooner
4/15/2009, 10:41 PM
Out of curiosity, what do you think should happen when someone who is unable to communicate is admitted to the hospital without an insurance card on him? Do the doctors refuse treatment until proof of insurance or ability to pay is provided?

If they just go ahead and treat him, and he proved unable to pay, how do you think that gets paid? Hint: even if the taxpayers don't end up paying for it, they do.

soonerspiff
4/15/2009, 10:57 PM
Out of curiosity, what do you think should happen when someone who is unable to communicate is admitted to the hospital without an insurance card on him? Do the doctors refuse treatment until proof of insurance or ability to pay is provided?

If they just go ahead and treat him, and he proved unable to pay, how do you think that gets paid? Hint: even if the taxpayers don't end up paying for it, they do.

I kinda figured healthcare arguments were more suited for the SO...

But I have always been of the theory treat first, ask questions later. And, yes, I know that is a reason for increases in everyone else's medical expenses, etc. But going by the hippocratic oath, it's what should be done...

Collier11
4/15/2009, 10:57 PM
I appreciate the wonderful love that can only exist between a man and another man.

A horn would know best about man love

Curly Bill
4/15/2009, 10:59 PM
A horn would know best about man love

He also confided in secret, so don't tell anyone else, that his parents were brother/sister. :eek:

Frozen Sooner
4/15/2009, 11:04 PM
I kinda figured healthcare arguments were more suited for the SO...

Oh, I agree. I've been toying with the idea of splitting up this thread and moving the off-topic stuff there.

But I have always been of the theory treat first, ask questions later. And, yes, I know that is a reason for increases in everyone else's medical expenses, etc. But going by the hippocratic oath, it's what should be done...

I agree. In fact, I'm relatively certain that it's illegal for an emergency room to refuse treatment because they may not get paid.

Frozen Sooner
4/15/2009, 11:12 PM
I appreciate the wonderful love that can only exist between a man and another man.

Weird. It's almost like you posted something really stupid to get yourself banned and someone changed it to make you look funny.

Fiatil
4/15/2009, 11:21 PM
Wow, that's sort of interesting. My buddy down the hall in the dorms was just telling me yesterday how awesome Jermaine was to hang out with, he said that "Nothing he does is negative." Granted this is a seat belt ticket and what he said is probably true, just sort of odd timing.

Dio
4/15/2009, 11:41 PM
The seatbelt law is ghey...

...it's a way for the govt. to get our $$$ while acting like they give a ****.

...and even if they do give a ****, just keep your nanny-state nose outta my bizness.

This

Leroy Lizard
4/15/2009, 11:48 PM
Why shouldn't car drivers wear helmets?

badger
4/16/2009, 07:32 AM
Regardless of how I feel about Norman PD, health insurance, seat belts laws and Gresham's arrest for not paying his seat belt fine, I am just happy that he is OK. I have heard of too many cases lately where somebody gets ejected from their car all because they weren't wearing their seat belt.

So please, Gresham, wear your seat belt, but should you choose not to again and get caught, please pay your fine in a timely manner.

And then, sign in here anonymously and share how much you detest Norman PD too :D

C&CDean
4/16/2009, 09:31 AM
Regardless of how I feel about Norman PD, health insurance, seat belts laws and Gresham's arrest for not paying his seat belt fine, I am just happy that he is OK. I have heard of too many cases lately where somebody gets ejected from their car all because they weren't wearing their seat belt.

So please, Gresham, wear your seat belt, but should you choose not to again and get caught, please pay your fine in a timely manner.

And then, sign in here anonymously and share how much you detest Norman PD too :D

Did your parents ever discipline you when you did something wrong?

Quit hating on the NPD. Just because you got caught doing something illegal doesn't make them evil.

1. Helmet/Seat belt/protect-me-from-me laws are stupid.

2. I don't wear a helmet on a motorcycle, but I do buckle up when I drive. Why? Cause all a helmet does is in a high speed motorcycle wreck is keep your head intact and make you a pretty corpse. Why do I buckle up? Cause I've came across a ****pot of wrecks where there's a mangled and crush body or 6 laying in the ditch - from a simple roll over.

3. Pay your ****ing fine Jermaine. Jeez.

The Remnant
4/16/2009, 09:38 AM
This will probably make the cover of Sports Illustrated.

badger
4/16/2009, 10:01 AM
Did your parents ever discipline you when you did something wrong?

Quit hating on the NPD. Just because you got caught doing something illegal doesn't make them evil.

You know my parents did, Deano (and I deserved it 100 percent of the time) and even though I respect you as a fellow Packer fan and an awesome tailgate leader, I will probably not quit hating on the NPD, because unlike my parent's disciplining, I considered the NPD's speed trap disciplining unjust :D

But like I said, I'm just happy Jeremy Grisham is safe because I know how dangerous it is to drive without a seatbelt on.

C&CDean
4/16/2009, 10:03 AM
You need to add a "D" to the end of your avatar.:eek:

badger
4/16/2009, 10:08 AM
You need to add a "D" to the end of your avatar.:eek:

It's a video game reference and is not in reference to NormanPride, as I've explained on the South Oval thoroughly :D

See Dean, what we have here is a communication issue. I come across as a whiny beyonce that hates the po-po because they gave me a speeding ticket several years ago, but really, I'm just concerned that NPD has a history of pursuing pettiness and not larger issues, which seems to be the case when they handcuff a guy for not paying a seatbelt fine. You see an avatar that happens to have the letters "I ? NP" in it and you probably think something weird, when in fact it's just a video game reference and the "NP" does not stand for NormanPride :D

Collier11
4/16/2009, 10:27 AM
so you dont love him? ;)

badger
4/16/2009, 10:40 AM
so you dont love him? ;)

I also have a sig, not just an avatar.

Flagstaffsooner
4/16/2009, 11:39 AM
1 Fulmer Cup point.

From EDSBS...

They don’t ticket the people in the Sooner Schooner. And they drive around with shotguns, no less. Also, we’re pretty sure they’re not completely sober, but don’t let that stop the Norman po-po from arresting Jermaine Gresham (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4071790) for failing to pay a seatbelt violation, a charge earning him and the Sooners a pitiful point in the Fulmer Cup. We’d give half-points for this, but that way lies the devil. (”Hey, he was pantsless when arrested! That’s gotta be a half-point there!”)

SCSoonerfan
4/16/2009, 12:44 PM
Just wanted to chime in a bit on the seat belt law thing. The only reason any state has a seat belt law is federal highway money. States get millions of dollars for having a primary seat belt law. While you will hear arguments about how many lives they save which is true it is not the reason it happened. If the federal government offered millions for a helmet law it will come to pass in each state as well.

MojoRisen
4/16/2009, 01:00 PM
He had a warrant I doubt they had a choice....

What is wrong with Norman PD? I highly doubt you can do time for not wearing your seatbelt. Seems to me if they were going to serve anything it would be another ticket.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/16/2009, 01:46 PM
I am sure this is Brent Venables fault somehow....

;)

oudivesherpa
4/16/2009, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=C&CDean;2605177]Did your parents ever discipline you when you did something wrong?

It really boils down to the relationship of the Police to the University in a free society. In many European Countries the Police are banned from the University and the schools police themselves. In Norman the University Police handle on campus problems just fine--the sole purpose of the NPD on or near campus is to raise revenue for the City of Norman and in the process harass students. In all cases involving students on (or near) campus the University Police should prevail. When the frivolous and capricious actions of the NPD jeopardise the University or the athletic programs associated with University then the very purpose of the NPD is called into question.
There is so much passion against the NPD on this board because I suspect many of the posters have had negative experiences with the Norman Police while they were in school. I have degrees from three other Universities and have lived in 10 different communties (beside Norman) and never have I experienced police harrassment to the degree that I experienced it in Norman, even though I never have been arrested or even got a ticket, if I was out past 1AM in the morning I was almost sure to be stopped in Norman.

In order to attract the best students and the best athletes Norman must become a fun and exciting place to work and play. Extensive Police intervention will only diminsh the Univeristy experience.

BornandBred
4/16/2009, 02:19 PM
Hell, I grew up in Norman and can't stand the NPD. I lived there for 25 years with maybe a single positive to say along with dozens of negatives. They hardly stop real crime and they focus on paying themselves (tickets). The seat belt law is simply a legal way for cops to randomly stop people, "oh, thought you weren't wearing your seat belt, take this field sobriety test anyways..." I have never gone through a random road block checkpoint anywhere but Norman. It's a bunch of BS.

All that said, he should have paid the stupid fine.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/16/2009, 02:32 PM
My problem with them is 3 fold. I have been stopped while jogging 3 times, I guess because drunks are usually running by the road at 1 in the morning. Secondly, they tend to make up stuff like oh yeah, your lights weren't on immediatly, you must be drunk. Thirdly, I had one tell my friend that if they had to come back to his house, they would find a reason to take him to jail, that implies to me that they will lie in order to get what they need(Highly unprofessional in my opinion)

StoopTroup
4/16/2009, 02:42 PM
Norman is a big city now. Catering to Football Players problems isn't part of their everyday job description however...if I was a NPD Cop and I saw there was a warrant for his arrest...I would have personally gone to Bob about it if I had known he'd blown it off. At least a call to the Athletic Dept. to let them know his *** was hanging out. If the NPD Chief was doing a good job and wanted to paint a better image on his Department...stuff like this would get handled way before it became necessary for a Bench Warrant. I suspect some aggie let it go through.

tulsaoilerfan
4/16/2009, 08:11 PM
Why shouldn't car drivers wear helmets?

Or HANS devices?

MichiganSooner
4/16/2009, 08:57 PM
Maybe someone considers it a dumb law but seatbelts save lives. Do you want one of our players dead? Please buckle up everybody. And if you ride a cycle put on a helment. Everyone wearing seatbelts should save lives and cut down on serious injuries and that could translate into lower insurance bills for everybody?

OSUAggie
4/16/2009, 08:58 PM
They should ship his *** off to McAlester.

I can't believe Stoops would let this guy continue to be on scholarship at the University of Oklahoma.

Classless.

JLEW1818
4/16/2009, 09:17 PM
They should ship his *** off to McAlester.

I can't believe Stoops would let this guy continue to be on scholarship at the University of Oklahoma.

Classless.

lol, i think I'm visiting my family there tomorrow actually, I'll visit him... haha

I can't really defend Gresham much here, what if everyone didn't pay their tickets???

Leroy Lizard
4/16/2009, 11:32 PM
If I was a NPD Cop and I saw there was a warrant for his arrest...I would have personally gone to Bob about it if I had known he'd blown it off. At least a call to the Athletic Dept. to let them know his *** was hanging out. If the NPD Chief was doing a good job and wanted to paint a better image on his Department...stuff like this would get handled way before it became necessary for a Bench Warrant. I suspect some aggie let it go through.

Do you plan on doing that for everyone?

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/16/2009, 11:43 PM
Hell Yes!! "Is This Professor Liberal Mc********* of the Political Science Department at OU" "Well I am afraid to tell you that Ernest P. McNoworldexperience has failed to pay a seatbelt violation and we would hate for you to lose your top future ****** bag!!!"

Flagstaffsooner
4/17/2009, 12:13 AM
They should ship his *** off to Stoolwater.

Classless.
Fixed:D

badger
4/17/2009, 07:17 AM
Do you plan on doing that for everyone?

You know, this might not be a bad idea for everyone - send a notice in the mail that if the ticket is not paid in full within a given time period (10 days, two weeks, etc) that there will be a warrant out for your arrest. Since some seem to suggest that the reason NPD issues so many tickets is for revenue, this would only promote that revenue stream by encouraging more people to pay their tickets on their own without police having to hunt them down and handcuff 'em for seatbelt fines.

C&CDean
4/17/2009, 08:32 AM
Let's see, I lived in Norman for 11 years before moving to the country, and still work/drive/eat/drink/etc. in Norman almost every day. I go to restaurants, bars, stores, and all other kinda places in Norman. If I recall correctly, I've gotten 1 ticket in Norman over by campus on Chautauqua. Going 38 in a 25. I was actually going about 45. I paid my fine. The end.

I guess I just don't hang out or drive through the same spot all you guys who think the NPD does nothing but stalk poor student drivers do. Maybe it's just me. Or maybe, just maybe it's just you? And by "you" I mean the collective you (all you folks who honestly believe the NPD is out to get you).

yermom
4/17/2009, 08:45 AM
You know, this might not be a bad idea for everyone - send a notice in the mail that if the ticket is not paid in full within a given time period (10 days, two weeks, etc) that there will be a warrant out for your arrest. Since some seem to suggest that the reason NPD issues so many tickets is for revenue, this would only promote that revenue stream by encouraging more people to pay their tickets on their own without police having to hunt them down and handcuff 'em for seatbelt fines.

yeah, but you know how much MORE $$$ they make when you don't pay and then they get to arrest you?

BornandBred
4/17/2009, 08:46 AM
Let's see, I lived in Norman for 11 years before moving to the country, and still work/drive/eat/drink/etc. in Norman almost every day. I go to restaurants, bars, stores, and all other kinda places in Norman. If I recall correctly, I've gotten 1 ticket in Norman over by campus on Chautauqua. Going 38 in a 25. I was actually going about 45. I paid my fine. The end.

I guess I just don't hang out or drive through the same spot all you guys who think the NPD does nothing but stalk poor student drivers do. Maybe it's just me. Or maybe, just maybe it's just you? And by "you" I mean the collective you (all you folks who honestly believe the NPD is out to get you).

Road blocks and checkpoints aren't just for me. The BS seatbelt law for random stopping MAY be just for me, but that's just so they can profile student aged people. Don't know if you remember the DA getting ousted because he sucked, but it starts at the top. I'm not just making this crap up.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/17/2009, 11:05 AM

should you wear it? yes

100% right. I have no problem with requiring children to wear seatbelts but adults should not be required even if it is stupid not to.

On the other hand this is more about not paying a fine than it is about what orginally led to the fine. It isn't exactly the biggest problem the program has ever had but it does warrant some sort of team punishment. Maybe a 1/2 game or 1 game suspension.

yermom
4/17/2009, 11:12 AM
i can't imagine it being worthy of more than a stern look from Stoops

BornandBred
4/17/2009, 11:24 AM
i can't imagine it being worthy of more than a stern look from Stoops

Which is more than enough to kill the average human.

Frozen Sooner
4/17/2009, 11:40 AM

Or, you know, people could just pay the ticket.

badger
4/17/2009, 11:50 AM
Or, you know, people could just pay the ticket.

:D People could also,you know, just pay their taxes, just pay their fines, just everything, but we both know people screw up, but it doesn't mean they deserve to be arrested for it.

The state's double-or-nothing to pay back taxes without fees was an awesome idea that netted a lot of money from back taxes owed to the state, for example.

Make it easier for people to do the right thing and people will... at least in Oklahoma :)

Widescreen
4/17/2009, 12:48 PM
You know, this might not be a bad idea for everyone - send a notice in the mail that if the ticket is not paid in full within a given time period (10 days, two weeks, etc) that there will be a warrant out for your arrest.

I'm pretty sure the original citation makes mention of the date at which a plea is to be made and the penalty for ignoring the date. He ignored that so what makes you think he wouldn't ignore the reminder? Should they send a reminder for the reminder? Jermaine is an adult and shouldn't have to have reminders sent to him to do the stuff he needs to do.

Unlike many of you, I've had no dealings at all with the NPD so I don't have other incidents coloring my opinion. This just seems like such an easily resolvable thing by Gresham. For all the other crap that the NPD apparently pulls, I'm having a hard time justifying the hatred in this situation.

soonerfan28
4/17/2009, 12:52 PM
It's not like Gresham has anything else going on. Yes, thats sarcasm, but an arrest over a ticket. Are there not chomos and meth heads you should be arresting instead of those criminal seatbelt violaters.

Frozen Sooner
4/17/2009, 12:55 PM
:D People could also,you know, just pay their taxes, just pay their fines, just everything, but we both know people screw up, but it doesn't mean they deserve to be arrested for it.

The state's double-or-nothing to pay back taxes without fees was an awesome idea that netted a lot of money from back taxes owed to the state, for example.

Make it easier for people to do the right thing and people will... at least in Oklahoma :)

As someone who pays his taxes on time and has paid every traffic fine he's ever received in a timely manner (and trust me, I've had some doozies) I resent having to subsidize the lazy and/or willifully criminal. :D

Heh. When applying for law schools, I had to disclose every traffic ticket I've ever received. I was like "OK, you're gonna need a bigger boat."

BornandBred
4/17/2009, 12:59 PM
I'm having a hard time justifying the hatred in this situation.

I think Gresham is the one who screwed up here, no argument from me. I don't expect any special treatment for football players. The warrant was issued, the deal was done. The initial citation is what I take fault with.

badger
4/17/2009, 01:08 PM
This argument's probably gone on long enough, so I'll step out with the following conclusions:

1- Gresham messed up. Not wearing your seatbelt is dangerous.
2- It is the law, so he deserved a ticket.
3- Despite not paying the ticket in a timely manner (i.e. before it was due), it is not something that should cause you to get arrested.
4- If this is the worst "Fulmer Cup" point that we receive all off-season, it will be a very, very good offseason, so guys, no Youtube rap videos, kplzthx.

Collier11
4/17/2009, 01:23 PM
I think Gresham is the one who screwed up here, no argument from me. I don't expect any special treatment for football players. The warrant was issued, the deal was done. The initial citation is what I take fault with.

My stance is this, I DO NOT think he should get special treatment, I dont think Stoops should have gotten a special call warning him, my only argument is that NPD or any police force for that matter have alot better things to do than arrest people for ONE unpaid ticket. I could see if it were numerous but it was ONE.

BornandBred
4/17/2009, 01:28 PM
Well, all I know is that I've heard of a few instances where the cops serve warrants for a single ticket. Yes, I think it's a joke. Yes, I wish they'd go stop real crime. But, it is what it is. Until the NPD has bigger fish to fry, ie MORE real crime, or less police to patrol the crime filled streets of Nompton, I think this will continue.

Widescreen
4/17/2009, 02:00 PM
4- If this is the worst "Fulmer Cup" point that we receive all off-season, it will be a very, very good offseason, so guys, no Youtube rap videos, kplzthx.

Agreed.

MojoRisen
4/17/2009, 02:39 PM
100% right. I have no problem with requiring children to wear seatbelts but adults should not be required even if it is stupid not to.

On the other hand this is more about not paying a fine than it is about what orginally led to the fine. It isn't exactly the biggest problem the program has ever had but it does warrant some sort of team punishment. Maybe a 1/2 game or 1 game suspension.

OH MY GOD!!!! That is all

Frozen Sooner
4/17/2009, 02:39 PM
This argument's probably gone on long enough, so I'll step out with the following conclusions:

1- Gresham messed up. Not wearing your seatbelt is dangerous.
2- It is the law, so he deserved a ticket.
3- Despite not paying the ticket in a timely manner (i.e. before it was due), it is not something that should cause you to get arrested.

How many points did we get for Chaisson kidnapping his girlfriend?

PhiDeltBeers
4/17/2009, 02:46 PM
Death Penalty

:pop:

Collier11
4/17/2009, 02:49 PM
Maybe a 1/2 game or 1 game suspension.

when has Stoops or any other Coach suspended someone for something so petty, you are way off base on this one.

Leroy Lizard
4/17/2009, 03:47 PM
Does anyone remember the seat-belt checkpoints the Norman Police used on main street near the old Target? This was about ten years ago. I counted about six police officers stationed at the checkpoint, with I guess nothing better to do.

I was a supporter of the police up until that time. I can stand a lot of things in a city government, but greed is not one of them.

MojoRisen
4/17/2009, 04:20 PM
Are you guys getting hit with those camera's on the highway? It is getting crazy in VA and DC - I have like 3 speeding tickets - litterally going 53 in a 45 or something- when it is a highway and 2 tenths of a mile up the road the speed limit goes back to 65. I hear if you pay them the camera tickets do not show up on your driving record.

It is pure greed~ We really don't need all that government...

Leroy Lizard
4/17/2009, 05:29 PM
Look at the bright side: I am sure that all those at the welfare line appreciate your contribution.

Jacie
4/19/2009, 02:16 PM
Here's what EDSBS had to say about Jermaine's incident:

They don’t ticket the people in the Sooner Schooner. And they drive around with shotguns, no less. Also, we’re pretty sure they’re not completely sober, but don’t let that stop the Norman po-po from arresting Jermaine Gresham for failing to pay a seatbelt violation, a charge earning him and the Sooners a pitiful point in the Fulmer Cup. We’d give half-points for this, but that way lies the devil. (”Hey, he was pantsless when arrested! That’s gotta be a half-point there!”)

meoveryouxinfinity
4/19/2009, 08:55 PM
The government also mandates that cars be made with seat belts and now air bags. What if people don't want to wear seat belts?, you ask. What if not wearing a seat belt maximizes their utility?, you say.

Sometimes the public doesn't know what they want. They don't know that they want to play football with their grandchildren and walk the dog at age 70.

In the case of green technology, right now we think we want cheap gas and cheap cars (usually not fuel efficient) that run on that gas. The government can mandate fuel efficient cars and tax the hell outta gasoline. What the public doesn't know that they don't want is pollutants, no matter what the cost.

Yes, big brother SHOULD enforce seat belt laws. This is coming from a very conservative poster.

Collier11
4/19/2009, 09:04 PM
so should the government mandate safe sex, make getting drunk illegal, make spending money on that huge TV that you dont need illegal, etc...?

Crucifax Autumn
4/19/2009, 09:17 PM
On the tv...yeah, cause I can't afford one and i'm friggin' jealous!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/19/2009, 09:19 PM
when has Stoops or any other Coach suspended someone for something so petty, you are way off base on this one.

I probably should have been more clear. I don't have a problem if he isn't suspended. Mighyt be handled in other ways. Again it isn't the biggest problem we have had. I'm saying IF Gresham were to miss 1/2 game in week one for "violation of a team rules" I would not be suprised and I wouldn't second guess Stoops.

Don't like the law but pay the fine.

Eielson
4/19/2009, 09:37 PM
I don't think there is anything that is wrong with this. I lost a couple of my best friends in an accident, and they would have survived had they worn their seat belts. I would have much rather had them fined.

CrimsonJim
4/19/2009, 09:50 PM
Yes, big brother SHOULD enforce seat belt laws. This is coming from a very conservative poster.

Respectfully disagree. As long as you are not doing harm to another individual or individuals, Big Brother should STFU. Speeding for example; you could have an accident and kill others. I have no problem with that law as it protects others. But failure to wear seat belts; notta.

I get sick of hearing law enforcement say "I never unbuckled a dead man". That's a crock of shat if I ever heard it. IF my uncle had been wearing his seat belt when he had his accident, he would have been impaled by the steering column and DOA.

Wearing seat belts probably does save more lives than not, but as long as they could be the cause of somebody dying, I do not see the justification in trying to force you to wear them. Hell, the only reason it's a law in the first place is because of insurance lobbyists.

Ok.......off my soap box for now. I tend to get a little heated over that issue. :)

Eielson
4/20/2009, 02:31 PM
Respectfully disagree. As long as you are not doing harm to another individual or individuals, Big Brother should STFU. Speeding for example; you could have an accident and kill others. I have no problem with that law as it protects others. But failure to wear seat belts; notta.

Big brother has to the right to, and the responsibility to look out for his little brother. When little brother dies, it affects big brother...along with many others. It may not cause physical harm, but you can't say it doesn't cause harm.

CrimsonJim
4/20/2009, 03:08 PM
I'm a guessin' you didn't read the whole thing. My uncle would be DEAD right now if he had been wearing seat belts. Game/set/match. When one has been through such an experience, as my family has, you will not change our minds.

Again, if people want to wear their seat belts, more power to them (I wear mine all the time), but allowing the lobbyists in inflict such laws is lunacy. Next thing you know they'll be forcing you to wear seat belts in your recliner........'cause you just never know when you might flip out of that thing and "harm" yourself &/or others. It's all a matter of where do you draw the line, and if you're not physically harming another, they should stay on the other side of that line.

Collier11
4/20/2009, 03:18 PM
All statistics point to the fact that people wearing seatbelts have a higher likelihood of surviving a car crash but statistics also point to the fact that those who dont smoke have a higher likelihood of not getting lung cancer, those who dont own a gun have a less chance of shooting themselves, those who dont eat fast food probably have a better chance of not having a heart attack, yada yada yada...at what point does the govt truly care about our well being or is it just about money? What is their limit on what they can ban or what can become government mandated?

Just like someone mentioned bike helmets not being law, it is all hipocritical and about money money money...

Eielson
4/20/2009, 05:23 PM
I'm a guessin' you didn't read the whole thing. My uncle would be DEAD right now if he had been wearing seat belts. Game/set/match. When one has been through such an experience, as my family has, you will not change our minds.

http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/seat_belts.html

According to that website, 63% of people killed in accidents are not wearing seat belts despite the fact that only 32% of people don't wear seat belts.

Yes, you have your one rare example, and I realize it is important to you, but that doesn't change the fact that seat belts drastically improve safety.

Next thing you know they'll be forcing you to wear seat belts in your recliner........'cause you just never know when you might flip out of that thing and "harm" yourself &/or others.

Making ridiculous comparisons doesn't prove your point.

It's all a matter of where do you draw the line, and if you're not physically harming another, they should stay on the other side of that line.

So does this mean you think that drugs are fine as long as you don't share with anybody else? Vandalizing property is fine? Robbing a bank is fine as long as you don't shoot somebody?

CrimsonJim
4/20/2009, 06:04 PM
According to that website, 63% of people killed in accidents are not wearing seat belts despite the fact that only 32% of people don't wear seat belts.

Yes, you have your one rare example, and I realize it is important to you, but that doesn't change the fact that seat belts drastically improve safety.

So that means that nearly 40% of people killed in accidents ARE wearing seatbelts?!! Pardon me if I don't find that percentage to be "one rare example" - it just proves my point.

Making ridiculous comparisons doesn't prove your point.

Ridiculous??? Who says? Where will they stop? I don't know, do you? If they can force you to wear seat belts in your car (even though you're not hurting anybody else when you don't wear them), yes sir, they could do the same elsewhere, whether we/you/I think it is ridiculous or not. It is all in what each of us finds to be ridiculous; where we decide to draw that line. The more you give them, the more they will take if they can make a dime off of it, so for God's sake, don't fall out of your recliner!!!

So does this mean you think that drugs are fine as long as you don't share with anybody else? Vandalizing property is fine? Robbing a bank is fine as long as you don't shoot somebody?

Now who's getting ridiculous? We are talking about seat belts here. If you want to bring in the 10 Commandments, we can do that in another thread. :rolleyes:

Before this spirals out of control, Eielson, please understand first and foremost that while I do feel strongly in my beliefs, my responses are mostly due to the fact that I enjoy a good debate (time allowing). :D I don't want you to think a am attacking you or angry with you, as that is not the case.

Curly Bill
4/20/2009, 06:09 PM
I want all you bastards to quit eattin cheeseburgers, cause they're not good for you, and in the long-term they're gonna kill ya of heart desease.

...just my way of big-brothering...er...I mean protecting you guys.

CrimsonJim
4/20/2009, 06:15 PM
Uhhh, Bill....I think Eielson would find that to be utterly and completely "ridiculous". :pop:

Besides that, I eat bacon cheeseburgers!! Mmmm, can almost feel my arteries closin' up just thinkin' about 'em. ;)

Curly Bill
4/20/2009, 06:18 PM
Uhhh, Bill....I think Eielson would find that to be utterly and completely "ridiculous". :pop:

....so pretty much the same opinion I have of his view that it's his, or anyone else's business, whether I wear my seatbelt or not? ;)

Curly Bill
4/20/2009, 06:20 PM
Besides that, I eat bacon cheeseburgers!! Mmmm, can almost feel my arteries closin' up just thinkin' about 'em. ;)

Stop that! Stop that right now -- you're making my health care cost go up! :mad:

Curly Bill
4/20/2009, 06:22 PM
I just had two pieces of cake! That can't be good for ya can it?

Eielson
4/20/2009, 06:22 PM
So that means that nearly 40% of people killed in accidents ARE wearing seatbelts?!! Pardon me if I don't find that percentage to be "one rare example" - it just proves my point.

You didn't read carefully. Almost 2/3rds of deaths come from people not wearing seat belts, but only about 1/3rd of people don't wear seat belts. The minority cause the majority of deaths.

Ridiculous??? Who says? Where will they stop? I don't know, do you? If they can force you to wear seat belts in your car (even though you're not hurting anybody else when you don't wear them), yes sir, they could do the same elsewhere, whether we/you/I think it is ridiculous or not. It is all in what each of us finds to be ridiculous; where we decide to draw that line. The more you give them, the more they will take if they can make a dime off of it, so for God's sake, don't fall out of your recliner!!!

Yes, I agree that there shouldn't be a seat belt requirement for recliners.

Now who's getting ridiculous?

I just simply went off of what you said.

Eielson
4/20/2009, 06:28 PM

No, no, you got me all wrong. I'll proudly join the fight against recliner restrictions and the outlawing of cheeseburgers. It's just the seatbelt laws I'm not against.

CrimsonJim
4/20/2009, 06:32 PM
Mmmmm, chocolate cake w/a big ole glass of ice cold milk!

Dangit Bill! Now ya went and done it. I'm a gonna have to sneak into the kitchen and get me a snack before mama's done cookin' supper. If she catches me, it's your fault!!! :eek: BBL

Curly Bill
4/20/2009, 06:35 PM
Mmmmm, chocolate cake w/a big ole glass of ice cold milk!

Dangit Bill! Now ya went and done it. I'm a gonna have to sneak into the kitchen and get me a snack before mama's done cookin' supper. If she catches me, it's your fault!!! :eek: BBL

Oh get this:

Chocolate cake baked as normal, when it's done poke holes in it and spead over it a combination of Eagle Brand milk mixed with caramel topping, when it cools cover with Cool Whip and then top with crushed Heath Bars.

Yummmmmmmmm :D

CrimsonJim
4/20/2009, 07:05 PM
Oh. My. GAWD!! That sounds fantastic!

Mama had supper done by the time I got in there, so I'm too full to concentrate, but that still sounds gooooood.

CrimsonJim
4/20/2009, 07:19 PM
You didn't read carefully. Almost 2/3rds of deaths come from people not wearing seat belts, but only about 1/3rd of people don't wear seat belts. The minority cause the majority of deaths.

Regardless of how you try to spin it, your own figures said "63% of people killed in accidents are not wearing seat belts". You round the numbers however you want; I'll say if 60% were killed w/o seat belts, 40% had to have been killed wearing them.

Yes, I agree that there shouldn't be a seat belt requirement for recliners.

Well now, we're not so far apart on this issue after all!! So you're tellin' me there's a chance.....................

I just simply went off of what you said.

You just simply went off the deep end.

Eielson
4/20/2009, 07:54 PM
Regardless of how you try to spin it, your own figures said "63% of people killed in accidents are not wearing seat belts. You round the numbers however you want; I'll say if 60% were killed w/o seat belts, 40% had to have been killed wearing them.

What do you not understand about "despite the fact that only 32% of people don't wear seat belts." If all things were equal, people not wearing seatbelts would be responsible for 32% of deaths. Instead they are responsible for 63%, which is nearly twice as many as they should be. This isn't that hard.

meoveryouxinfinity
4/20/2009, 08:07 PM

Again, if people want to wear their seat belts, more power to them (I wear mine all the time), but allowing the lobbyists in inflict such laws is lunacy. Next thing you know they'll be forcing you to wear seat belts in your recliner........'cause you just never know when you might flip out of that thing and "harm" yourself &/or others. It's all a matter of where do you draw the line, and if you're not physically harming another, they should stay on the other side of that line.
Rule, meet exception.

Insurance companies are bad because they don't want their policy holders to be seriously injured?

Curly Bill
4/20/2009, 08:11 PM
Insurance companies are bad because they don't want their policy holders to be seriously injured?

I don't want you to die of high blood pressure and heart disease...

...so no more salt, no more fast food, no more of anything that taste good.

Just think of me as your health insurance company. This is fun right, having other people tell you what you can and can't do, when it doesn't endanger them or others at all?

meoveryouxinfinity
4/20/2009, 08:15 PM

It's illegal to consume prescription pills without a...prescription. Oh watch out, "big brother" controlling what you put in your mouth!! You wanna OD on sildenafil citrate you should be able to, right?

MamaMia
4/20/2009, 08:24 PM
While a part of me agrees, I would suggest that seat belt wearing be voluntary. However, if you are injured in a car wreck and not wearing a seat belt, medical care should be YOUR responsibility, not the taxpayers. Medical costs to treat people who suffer added injury by not wearing their seat belts also raise medical and insurance premiums for everyone. I like the law.

CrimsonJim
4/20/2009, 08:32 PM
Rule, meet exception.

Insurance companies don't give a flyin' flip about whether you are seriously injured or not. They are concerned about the all mighty dollar. Nothing more. Nothing less.

meoveryouxinfinity
4/20/2009, 08:36 PM
I don't want you to die of high blood pressure and heart disease...

...so no more salt, no more fast food, no more of anything that taste good.

Just think of me as your health insurance company. This is fun right, having other people tell you what you can and can't do, when it doesn't endanger them or others at all?

Actually, they do have cheaper rates for "healthy" policy holders. They do want you to put that cheeseburger down. The difference is that you are REWARDED with a cheaper health insurance rate (when you put down the cheeseburger) rather than PENALIZED by a ticket (in the case of not wearing a seat belt. If you've ever taken a principles of micro econ, you will learn that they both have the same effect. By wearing your seat belt you receive a penalty avoidance benefit (PAB).

They're doing the exact same thing, just going about it in different ways.

Consider this scenario: the government tells you if you walk out your front door and turn to the left you will be hit by the Boz, really really hard. If you turn to the right nothing will happen.
Now, the government tells you if you turn to the left nothing will happen, but if you turn to the right, you will receive $20. In both cases you will turn to the right (unless you want to get up and personal with the Boz).

CrimsonJim
4/20/2009, 08:43 PM
Has Gresham paid that darned ticket yet? Man he sure started up a shat storm in here, didn't he? :)

meoveryouxinfinity
4/20/2009, 08:49 PM
Has Gresham paid that darned ticket yet? Man he sure started up a shat storm in here, didn't he? :)

LOL sure is an interesting topic and some of the best points for not wearing a seat belt i've ever heard.. but i'll take my chances and buckle it.

A-M
4/20/2009, 10:21 PM
LOL sure is an interesting topic and some of the best points for not wearing a seat belt i've ever heard.. but i'll take my chances and buckle it.

So will I when I'm in my car and wear my helmet on my motorcycle.

Crucifax Autumn
4/20/2009, 10:48 PM
I'm gonna wear a helmet in my car and a seatbelt on my motorcycle!

A-M
4/21/2009, 08:11 AM
I'm gonna wear a helmet in my car and a seatbelt on my motorcycle!

Now this I want to see!

MamaMia
4/21/2009, 12:51 PM
Its so obvious. We really need some football.

Frozen Sooner
4/21/2009, 01:43 PM
Insurance companies don't give a flyin' flip about whether you are seriously injured or not. They are concerned about the all mighty dollar. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And based on their statistical analysis, they end up paying fewer dollars out on BI claims for drivers who wear seatbelts, because people who wear seatbelts end up not being injured as badly as those who don't. Has nothing to do with compassion and everything to do with cold hard numerical reality.

CrimsonJim
4/21/2009, 02:58 PM
And based on their statistical analysis, they end up paying fewer dollars out on BI claims for drivers who wear seatbelts, because people who wear seatbelts end up not being injured as badly as those who don't. Has nothing to do with compassion and everything to do with cold hard CASH.

Fixed

Frozen Sooner
4/21/2009, 03:09 PM
Er, yeah. And the facts support that they will pay out less cash if everyone is wearing a seatbelt. I'm not sure how you didn't manage to understand that out of what I originally wrote.

More seatbelts=fewer and less severe injuries.

You're acting like people should be surprised that insurance companies-which, after all, are owned by stockholders who expect a return on their investment-are supportive of policies that make their claims go down. In this particular case, the way they're controlling claims expense is by reducing injuries.

CrimsonJim
4/21/2009, 04:54 PM
And YOU obviously missed what I wrote (from start to finish). I personally wear my seatbelt. I believe I am safer, playing the odds, wearing it than not. That being said, I do not and will not EVAR believe that Big Brother should be telling us that we have to wear them.

I didn't jump in here to start a big ole pissin' match. Just wanted to have a little fun and let everybody know that our all-knowing Big Brother's law does not save everybody like they try to make folks believe. It literally KILLS some people, and would have killed my uncle. So while Big Brother thinks he knows what's best for us, he's not always right and we shouldn't have it forced down our throats. Understandably, some disagree with me, but if you'll notice a good number do agree with me. Thus what should have been, and was for a good long time, a fun and interesting debate.

Some are now starting to get a little too pissy about the whole thing, so I'm off to a thread that's a little less hostile. I wish Gresh would hurry and pay that damned ticket so we can all move on. :D Peace - I'm out.