PDA

View Full Version : *** Official 2008-2009 NHL Playoff Thread ***

SteelCitySooner
4/15/2009, 07:33 AM
Another exciting playoff season is upon us. Playoffs open up tonight with the following series:

NY Rangers at Washington @ 7pm ET
Philadelphia at Pittsburgh @ 7pm ET
Carolina at Jersey @7:30pm ET
St Louis at Vancouver @ 10:00pm ET

Gonna be a fun season. Lets go PENS!

SoonerStormchaser
4/15/2009, 04:59 PM
My Canes need lovin...so jump on the bandwagon all you disgruntled Stars fans!

SteelCitySooner
4/15/2009, 09:00 PM
Pen's got game one. Good Lawd, I hate them flyers..

tulsaoilerfan
4/16/2009, 08:21 PM
The NHL is dead to me without Dallas in the playoffs

Scott D
4/17/2009, 12:19 PM
Chicago in the playoffs >>>>>>>>>>> Dallas or Pahoenix ever in the playoffs.

SteelCitySooner
4/18/2009, 07:34 AM
Great game last night. Pen's win in OT. Up 2 games heading in to Philly tomorrow. :D

SoonerStormchaser
4/18/2009, 08:26 AM
My Canes tied it up as well...

GrapevineSooner
4/20/2009, 04:25 PM
Chicago in the playoffs >>>>>>>>>>> Dallas or Pahoenix ever in the playoffs.

You know, I'm a little conflicted on that one. ;)

Love that the Hawks are back in the playoff mix for the first time since the mid 90's (those series against Colorado and St. Louis in 2002 don't count).

But still, there's something missing when the Stars aren't a part of things.

Anyway, I should have started this thread earlier to tell all you puckheads that the Sharks weren't making it out of the 2nd round, AGAIN.

I just never figured they'd say, "What the hell!" and go out in the first round in an epic fail.

SoonerStormchaser
4/21/2009, 10:00 AM
Heh...I'm glad they're falling flat...and I hope the Caps join them.

My Canes had better win tonight...but at least I have the Bruins and the Wings to fall back on.

Scott D
4/21/2009, 01:18 PM
You know, I'm a little conflicted on that one. ;)

Love that the Hawks are back in the playoff mix for the first time since the mid 90's (those series against Colorado and St. Louis in 2002 don't count).

But still, there's something missing when the Stars aren't a part of things.

Anyway, I should have started this thread earlier to tell all you puckheads that the Sharks weren't making it out of the 2nd round, AGAIN.

I just never figured they'd say, "What the hell!" and go out in the first round in an epic fail.

Campbell Conference memories for me. Chicago v. Detroit was commonplace. then all these usurpers started showing up. Dallas, Colorado, Phoenix, Nashville, (Any team from California).

Man I wish the Original Six played each other more often.

At this stage, I don't know that anyone can slow down Boston much less stop them.

SteelCitySooner
4/22/2009, 06:41 AM
One more game till the Pen's can put the Flyer scum to bed..

How about that last second goal against the Devils? Y'all think Broduer was interfered with?

Scott D
4/22/2009, 11:00 AM
looked to me like Mar-tan ran into the Carolina player since he was a good foot away from the crease.

SoonerStormchaser
4/28/2009, 09:41 PM
Holy ****ing ****balls Batman...Carolina won the whole damn series with two goals in the last 1:30!

Looks like it's my Canes vs. my Dad's Bruins in the 2nd round. Ugh...well, it was fun while it lasted.

SteelCitySooner
4/28/2009, 11:31 PM
Pen's vs Caps in round 2! This is gonna be fun. Ovvy against Malkin... Two Ruskies that hate each other. Game on!

Lott's Bandana
5/1/2009, 10:09 PM
Def Champs hold the Ducks dangling until the very end, then like a cat toying with a mouse's existence...

Chomp.

Game 1 Wings 3-2

GrapevineSooner
5/5/2009, 10:38 AM
Ovechkin and Gary's Baby Boy each had hat tricks last night.

But David Steckel also scored and so the Caps give the boys from Steeltown the business and go up 2-0, champ!

SoonerStormchaser
5/5/2009, 11:01 AM
****ING CAPS!!! I HATE OVECHKIN (but will give my props to him as a great player).

I'm just happy my Canes got out of Beantown with a split. Now if they can win out at home, I will be EXTREMELY happy!

Lott's Bandana
5/5/2009, 01:40 PM
Quackers came back on the Champs and evened the series in 3OT.

Deh-twah's got a fight on their hands.

Scott D
5/5/2009, 06:42 PM
See, I like Ovechkin and honestly can't stand Crosby. I think Alex is good for the game, and he's everything Don Cherry swears a Euro trained player isn't.

To me, the Ovechkin v. Crosby thing is manufactured by the NHL. The real rivalry is Ovechkin v. Malkin. Ironically the two best players on the two teams in that series.

p.s. Chris Pronger can still suck it.

SoonerStormchaser
5/6/2009, 12:46 AM
Wow...Detroit got royally effed in the eh by the ice zebras tonight.

Scott D
5/6/2009, 02:15 PM
I really can't stand Dave Pronger...I mean Dave Jackson.

SoonerStormchaser
5/7/2009, 09:34 AM
Did someone tell Boston that this series with my Canes was gonna be a cakewalk for them? Cause they've been playing like that after Game 1 and Carolina just jumped up and bit them in the ***!

2-1 CANES BABY!!!

SoonerStormchaser
5/10/2009, 12:37 PM
My boys can close out the B's tonight...I doubt they will (but should in Raleigh on Tuesday for Game 6).

Thank GOD that the Pens won yesterday. I'm hoping for Round 3 being Canes/Pens and Wings/Canucks.

GrapevineSooner
5/10/2009, 03:47 PM
Why do you hate the Blackhawks? ;)

Lott's Bandana
5/10/2009, 11:43 PM
The Octopi can close it out with the Ducks in Anaheim, game 6. Seemed like karma today when goalie interference wasn't called on the Wings' third goal. Hubler was clearly standing in the crease locked up with the goalie's leg.

GrapevineSooner
5/10/2009, 11:46 PM
The Octopi can close it out with the Ducks in Anaheim, game 6. Seemed like karma today when goalie interference wasn't called on the Wings' third goal. Hubler was clearly standing in the crease locked up with the goalie's leg.

Actually, I think that was Cleary who was in the crease. And by Hubler, I think you mean Hudler ;)

Lott's Bandana
5/10/2009, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I just finished watching it on DVR and was "Winging" the names...sorry, that was bad.

And you're right, it was Cleary.

I've loved the Wings since they picked up a kid named Federov...however, I don't watch hockey until the SC Playoffs, so some of the names I learn or relearn each year.

'Cept Lindstrom / Franzen / Osgood... and friggin Chelios is my age!

I like the speed of that Abdicator (forget trying to spell the name without google...number 8.), got an assist tonight.

Abdelkader

SoonerStormchaser
5/11/2009, 12:33 AM
and friggin Chelios is my age!

Teh hawt wife likes him cause he's the only NHL player left who's OLDER than her (albeit by a few months). Hell, I'm 26 and I'm older than half the NHL.

Scott D
5/11/2009, 02:04 PM
*facepalm*

Fedorov, Lidstrom, and Abdelkader

Scott D
5/11/2009, 02:05 PM
oh and Dear rest of the League, Chris Chelios will be available as a free agent in July.

GrapevineSooner
5/12/2009, 11:46 AM
Dear Red Wings,

I am doing what many of my Blackhawk brethern would describe as sacrilege.

Yes, I'm rooting for your boys to win tonight to setup a Red Wings-Blackhawks Western Conference Finals.

For the sake of the old Norris Division, this NEEDS to happen.

Regards,

Brandon (aka Grapevinesooner aka Gravypan)

P.S. Don't screw this up, OK?

Sooner04
5/12/2009, 01:26 PM
Teh hawt wife likes him cause he's the only NHL player left who's OLDER than her (albeit by a few months). Hell, I'm 26 and I'm older than half the NHL.
I didn't know you were Mormon.

Scott D
5/12/2009, 04:08 PM
Dear Red Wings,

I am doing what many of my Blackhawk brethern would describe as sacrilege.

Yes, I'm rooting for your boys to win tonight to setup a Red Wings-Blackhawks Western Conference Finals.

For the sake of the old Norris Division, this NEEDS to happen.

Regards,

Brandon (aka Grapevinesooner aka Gravypan)

P.S. Don't screw this up, OK?

heh, recent history seems to be on our side with winning tonight. (I think the last 8 series' the Wings have won have been 4th win on the road)

p.s. As long as Brad Watson is far far away from this game it should be a Detroit win ;)

GrapevineSooner
5/13/2009, 09:07 PM
I knew I couldn't count on the Wings. ;)

I still expect them to win this series, but wonder just how much of a physical toll going through Anaheim will take on them.

I hope it's a pretty heavy toll, but not enough to knock Detroit's big names like Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Hossa out.

SoonerStormchaser
5/14/2009, 01:24 AM
Well...I hope everyone tunes in tonight to enjoy the game as my Canes completely blow away a 3-1 series advantage to Boston...but I'm extremely happy they took the Bruins this far.

Too bad I can't watch it...

Scott D
5/14/2009, 10:27 AM
I'll say that the end of that game had my opinion of Scott Niedermayer drop nearly to the level of why anyone not the Rangers would have any interest in Sean Avery ever.

The last time the Ducks got overly aggressive with a player like the way they did at the end, it led to Franzen starting to score in this series.

SoonerStormchaser
5/15/2009, 11:29 AM
Holy crap...that's two miracle Game 7 wins in a row for my Cardiac Canes. Ok Pens fans...IT'S ON!!!

GrapevineSooner
5/16/2009, 09:05 AM
I'll say that the end of that game had my opinion of Scott Niedermayer drop nearly to the level of why anyone not the Rangers would have any interest in Sean Avery ever.

The last time the Ducks got overly aggressive with a player like the way they did at the end, it led to Franzen starting to score in this series.

The way they went after Rafalski was gutless.

Anyway, good think the poultry have been disposed of so we get that mouth watering Original Six matchup out...uhhh...West. ;)

My heart says Hawks, of course. But in my mind, I think Detroit takes this one in six. Chicago's just not quite ready to compete, but this playoff run ought to pay huge dividends in the years to come.

SoonerStormchaser
5/16/2009, 09:46 AM
What do you think of the Pens/Canes series?

GrapevineSooner
5/16/2009, 10:24 AM
Don't let it go 7, Pittsburgh.

GrapevineSooner
5/16/2009, 10:35 AM
And I know Scott's thrilled that Brad Pronger...I mean Brad Niedermayer...I mean Brad Watson's been left off the officiating list for the Conference Finals.

Unlike the NBA, the NHL actually punishes brutal calls that matter late in games.

Scott D
5/16/2009, 03:27 PM
Brad Niedermayer, now if only we can keep Dave Pronger er Jackson off the officiating list.

Tell me Dave Jackson doesn't look like Pronger, I dare ya. :)

GrapevineSooner
5/17/2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.coloradohockeyinsider.com/images/articles/2009/jackson.JPG

I do see the resemblance.

Have Dave Jackson and Chris Pronger ever been seen in the same location? :D

Lott's Bandana
5/17/2009, 12:04 PM
*facepalm*

Fedorov, Lidstrom, and Abdelkader

I don't speel them names so well, do I?

Sometimes I want to speel Hocky like I likes my Whisky.

Scott D
5/18/2009, 12:33 AM
I don't speel them names so well, do I?

Sometimes I want to speel Hocky like I likes my Whisky.

heh no worries. I still get annoyed by people wearing #91 Federov jersies. I mean the morons paid for someone to put that on there incorrectly.

GrapevineSooner
5/19/2009, 10:50 PM
Dear Hawks,

It's a not a good idea to give the Wings 2-on-1's in OT. It's an even worse idea to give them 3-on-1's...that result because your forwards let up for just a second in the offensive zone.

Most of the time, I accept playoff losses and move on. Tonight was different. I haven't been this pissed off about a playoff loss in a long time because of how the game winning goal was given up.

Scott D
5/20/2009, 01:04 AM
if it's any consolation, I'm not happy about how the game tying goal in the 3rd period was given up.

GrapevineSooner
5/23/2009, 10:34 AM
I beg of your forgiveness, Nik Kronwall.

I was out for your blood last night. But then I saw this:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_KQkmYfG5atE/Shdwf-GxjjI/AAAAAAAAAHo/rbS1x-YEiNI/s800/kronwall_havlat.jpg

I'd also like to add that if any Red Wing fan wants to be upset at last night's officiating crew, which included Dave Pronger, for not immediately calling this a penalty and only deciding to throw Kronwall out for the injury that resulted from the hit, you have every right to be upset.

Anyway, I'm happy that Chicago was able to win in OT after blowing that 3-0 lead in just over four minutes in the second.

And hopefully, Havlat can make a miracle comeback for Game 4. Not counting on it, mind you, based upon his injury history.

Scott D
5/23/2009, 12:43 PM
Other than that being a totally blown call, I'm still pretty flabbergasted that Byfuglein didn't get more than 2 min for roughing for his reaction. He did come all the way across the ice to lay out Kronwall after the whistle.

I'm going to personally beat the **** out of Colin Campbell if he doesn't rescind the game misconduct. I'm pretty sure O'Halloran was the one that called it a game misconduct though. Brave man, considering he lives in Brighton, MI.

SoonerStormchaser
5/24/2009, 10:40 AM
Can anyone do a full funeral for my Canes? They're done!

That said...I am cheering for the Wings to beat the ever loving **** outta the Pens in the Cup Finals!

Scott D
5/24/2009, 11:13 AM

That said...I am cheering for the Wings to beat the ever loving **** outta the Pens in the Cup Finals!

please don't. I'd prefer to not have you jinx them. :)

GrapevineSooner
5/24/2009, 03:56 PM

No self respecting hockey fan outside of Detroit should ever do such a thing. ;)

SoonerStormchaser
5/25/2009, 05:37 PM
My formative years were spent in Ohio...guess what team was on ALL THE TIME for me to watch? That's right...Detroit. They're my 2nd team in the West (after Dallas). Carolina's my main team PERIOD...followed by Dallas, then Boston, then Detroit.

I even brought my Brind'Amour t-shirt and hat with me on this deployment.

SteelCitySooner
5/27/2009, 10:55 AM
Pens have a good shot at it this year.. If anybody can beat Detroit, it's Pittsburgh.

GrapevineSooner
5/27/2009, 09:41 PM
The rematch is official.

But not without a fight from my boys from Chi-Town. If only Huet could have played like this on Sunday. And if only his teammates could have shown more composure.

Ah well, getting to the WCF was about this team's limit. Hopefully they'll learn something from this trip (mostly about that composure thing), get a little better defensively, and roll the dice, again, next season.

As for the Finals, I've always been a Bill Guerin fan. And even if it means Gary's Baby Boy gets to kiss the cup, I hope Billy gets to kiss it as well.

Scott D
5/27/2009, 09:43 PM
Definitely not a time for gloating or basking in the moment. Not too sure I like them moving the start of the finals up to this weekend although I understand it.

SoonerStormchaser
5/30/2009, 08:58 PM
Wow...the refs have really buried their whistles tonight when it comes to that punk Malkin!

Scott D
5/30/2009, 09:57 PM
They buried their whistles in general. But, I'll take a 3-1 win with no Datsyuk.

GrapevineSooner
5/31/2009, 11:08 AM
They may not need Datsyuk if they continue to play the kind of suffocating defense they've played in their last three playoff games.

And Osgood continues to be the best money goaltender in the game.

SoonerStormchaser
5/31/2009, 08:00 PM
Once again, the refs are ****ing up a perfectly good game by their bull**** calls and even more bull**** no-calls. Where the **** was that penalty they called that lead to Malkin's PP goal? There was no tripping...no interference...NOTHING! Meanwhile, Pitt is tripping all over the place...I've counted two cross-checks as well. Zetterberg should've been nailed for interference. But the no-calls are overwhelmingly favoring the Penguins.

Scott D
5/31/2009, 10:41 PM
The penalty that led to the PP that Malkin scored on was a legit penalty.

Pens need to hope that Colin Campbell doesn't follow Rule 47.22 to the letter, and rescinds what should be an automatic 1 game suspension on Malkin for his instigator penalty.

SoonerStormchaser
5/31/2009, 10:44 PM
Tell me what's legit about penalizing a guy just because the other guy lost his edge in a battle for a puck?

I hope Malkin does get a suspension...he's a damn punk!

GrapevineSooner
5/31/2009, 11:09 PM
So uhh yeah, I think this series is over.

It was over the moment MAF gave up that ridiculously soft goal early in the third. Reminds me of a goal I gave up one year in roller hockey ;)

And yes, Scott, I know you're going to follow right behind with the obligatory 'Pittsburgh came back from 0-2 against Washington' post.

You and I both know the Red Wings aren't the Caps.

And BTW, the NHL has already rescinded the instigator on Malkin. Good call on their part, because Malkin's actions didn't fit the spirit of rule 47.22.

SoonerStormchaser
5/31/2009, 11:48 PM
Bull**** he didn't deserve that instigator penalty! He ****ing went after Zetterberg with his stick from ACROSS THE ICE!!!

Lott's Bandana
6/1/2009, 08:30 AM
There was a time during the game, right before the faceoff which led to their slapshot goal from the blue line, where Detroit spent about 90 seconds of 5 on 5 time just toying with the Pens in their zone.

Seemed like 4 shots were taken and hardly a Pen even touched the puck. It was symphonic...like a cat toying with a mouse before the kill.

When Detroit has their game going, it seems they can do what they want.

I also know enough about hockey to realize things can turn quickly, but those 90 seconds were dayum impressive.

I also noticed that one of the announcers, after each of the RW's first two goals, immediately pointed out penalties that should have been called against them, right before the goal happened.
I watched the replays and didn't see them, but I'm also not paid to be in the booth analyzing either.
The "interference" was phantom in my eyes and the second one was a poke check around a Pen...is that wrong?

GrapevineSooner
6/1/2009, 08:43 AM
Well, I didn't get to see much of the game.

Saw the third period while working out at 24 hour fitness in Southlake last night. I was actually shocked they had the game on there.

Anyway, there is a bit of a silent consensus that Detroit gets away with a lot of picks and interference in the neutral zone. But I'm sure if you looked at what other teams do, they probably get away with a fair amount of interference as well.

Personally, I think the NHL should allow the setting of picks in the offensive zone. It's something that Stars commentator Darryl Reaugh has suggested as well.

Scott D
6/1/2009, 01:20 PM
ok I'll try to sum these up in one post.

SSC, Kronwall did indeed crosscheck his man, that's what the penalty was, and what the penalty should have been.

Lott's, you're right to a degree. The penalty that Pens fans are clamoring for against Hossa is in direct view of ignoring that prior to Dupuis' stick breaking, Dupuis slashes Hossa (Pens fans feel that Hossa was hooking Dupuis and that caused Dupuis' stick to break). That's not including Malkin crosschecking Holmstrom into MAF which gave Fillpula a wide open net to backhand his goal into.

Interference calls off of faceoffs are always pretty tenuous and depend on who is reffing the game as both players are trying to get to certain spots on the ice and they may or may not try to take the same path.

Grape, I'd rather have Darryl Reaugh doing color this series than Eddie O. Eddie tries his hardest to be impartial, but the time he spent in Pittsburgh, especially with the core of this team makes that a little difficult on him. It's unfortunate that NBC/Versus put him in that position for two series' in a row.

I also expected the Instigator to be rescinded, just not as quickly as it was. I thought the league might let Malkin stew with it for about a day before announcing this afternoon that it was being rescinded.

Right now, Babcock is struggling with the idea of making lineup changes for game 3. Apparently Draper is ready to come back, and it sounds 90% that Datsyuk is ready to re-enter the lineup. I can think of 29 other teams in the NHL that would love to have that problem.

I do have one question though, are we sure that Joey Nieuwendyk is ready for the GM role? I know that moving Les Jackson back to scouting is a good move, and definitely moving the Golden Brett to the role of unofficial Team Mascot is in the better interest of the quality of team being put on the ice.

I leave you now with this moment of zen.

Darren Helm Penalty Kill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSr1i4AUnYA)

GrapevineSooner
6/1/2009, 02:06 PM
I believe this is one of the plays that Scott referenced in his post:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/images/uploads/hossa.gif

Scott D
6/1/2009, 02:14 PM
That is indeed the play that has Pens fans in an uproar. Tell me where Hossa slashes Dupuis....I can wait ;)

GrapevineSooner
6/1/2009, 02:15 PM
And I'd say get rid of Eddie O simply for his tendency to yell, STOP IT RIGHT THERE!!! ;)

As for the GM switch...We'll see.

I'm also not sure if Les Jackson got a raw deal out of this. Rumor has it he wanted to return to the scouting and player development side of things in the organ-i-zation anyway. So if that's true, I'm alright with it.

But the co-GM experiment certainly didn't fail because of him. Last I checked, he was the half of that Jackshull combo that wasn't on board with bringing in Sean Avery.

And unlike Brett, he actually took his job seriously.

GrapevineSooner
6/1/2009, 02:18 PM
That is indeed the play that has Pens fans in an uproar. Tell me where Hossa slashes Dupuis....I can wait ;)

WITH HIS LEG!!!!

CAN'T YOU SEE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Scott D
6/1/2009, 02:19 PM
Oh, and Game 2 broke Eddie O's streak of saying "Forehand, backhand" without a pause in between. To be technical, he did say that Zetterberg went from his forehand to his backhand, but it seemed that because of the commercial for NHL.com his catch phrase had become "Forehand, Backhand"

And what is with the Pens trying to recycle marginally bad Stars defensemen?

Scott D
6/1/2009, 02:21 PM
And I'll go on record as saying, Pens need to win Game 3, or it's going to be a sweep.

SoonerStormchaser
6/1/2009, 02:46 PM
Pens won't win Game 3!

And Joe coming in to replace Brett and Les is probably gonna be an even trade.

Lott's Bandana
6/1/2009, 03:51 PM
I missed Helm's penalty kill. Now I haven't. Spek.

That was most sweet.

I've never played hockey, but what does that do to the psyche of the 'Hawks PP unit, as well as the team?

Must be like having to tackle AD in the open field...

SoonerStormchaser
6/6/2009, 10:18 PM
Well, Malkin proved beyond a doubt tonight that he is the leading candidate for MVP: most violent punk...as he and his team just got completely assraped by Detroit.

GrapevineSooner
6/7/2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah, you can't defend an 'elbow hit up high with a butt end to boot'.

I don't know why teams insist on resorting to this tactic against Detroit. They're well versed in turning the other cheek, sending their power play out, and drilling you on the scoreboard.

In other words, did Pittsburgh not watch Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals?

Scott D
6/8/2009, 12:05 AM
I find that my level of respect for Bettman's baby boy dropping on a game by game basis. If he ducked the media any more than he has during this series I'd call him Barry Bonds.

Lott's Bandana
6/8/2009, 12:10 AM
Osgood is quite talented, but also fortunate to have a group in front of him that makes the other SCF contender simply look amateurish.

That was OU v. Utah State circa '70s.

What would a Stanley Cup Final 5-0 shutout's equivalent be in CFB?

SoonerStormchaser
6/8/2009, 02:29 AM
77-0?

SoonerStormchaser
6/10/2009, 07:02 PM
Well...Dave Tippet got fired today as the coach of the Dallas Stars...so let the speculation begin! I think this was the wrong move...and that Tippet'll end up in NJ or Calgary.

GrapevineSooner
6/12/2009, 08:37 PM
Not too sure about this move by Niewy.

That having been said, I hope Stars fans don't get too nostalgic about that run to the WCF 13 months ago. They made that move when nobody expected them to and only won three playoff series in the Dave Tippett era, losing in the first round in 2004, 2006, and 2007.

I guarantee he would have been gone if they had made it four years in a row without getting at least to the 2nd round.

As for the Finals right now...

Detroit really needs a goal here before the second intermission. Only 12 shots on goal 35 minutes in, amazingly.

SoonerStormchaser
6/12/2009, 08:48 PM
Detroit needs a new set of referees as well...these guys have been in the Penguins' pocket since game 1.

GrapevineSooner
6/12/2009, 09:38 PM
Detroit needs a new set of referees as well...these guys have been in the Penguins' pocket since game 1.

:rolleyes:

Detroit lost this game because their offense, and more specifically, their power play went ice cold in Games 6 and 7.

Officiating had not a damn thing to do with it.

SoonerStormchaser
6/12/2009, 10:50 PM
81.1 Icing – For the purpose of this rule, the center red line will divide the ice into halves. Should any player or goalkeeper of a team, equal or superior in numerical strength (power-play) to the opposing team, shoot, bat or deflect the puck from his own half of the ice beyond the goal line of the opposing team, play shall be stopped.

Go back and look at Pitt's first "goal"...shot from behind the red line into the back end of Detroit zone...Detroit player touches it...whistle isn't blown!

tulsaoilerfan
6/12/2009, 11:45 PM
81.1 Icing – For the purpose of this rule, the center red line will divide the ice into halves. Should any player or goalkeeper of a team, equal or superior in numerical strength (power-play) to the opposing team, shoot, bat or deflect the puck from his own half of the ice beyond the goal line of the opposing team, play shall be stopped.

Go back and look at Pitt's first "goal"...shot from behind the red line into the back end of Detroit zone...Detroit player touches it...whistle isn't blown!

Yes, the officials missed that one, but it's not like the puck was shot into an empty net; if you're going to complain about the officiating how about all those interference calls on Detroit that went uncalled? Im not a fan of either team, but to blame the refs for this is ridiculous

Scott D
6/13/2009, 01:59 AM
I won't blame officiating, the Pens just played better down the stretch. The Wings looked like the slower team for long stretches in both games 6 and 7 and only kicked into gear the last 10 minutes of each game. That's not going to win very many games, and definitely not games when you're down 2-0 at the time.

Congrats to 19 Penguins and their coaching staff, and Mr. Hide from the Media in my boss's basement after a loss can still suck a fat one.

SteelCitySooner
6/13/2009, 02:21 PM

Are you kidding me? Were you sleeping during the incredible amount of non-called obstructions the Red Wings were getting away with? Game one and two looked like it was murder.

Not to mention, how can you possibly say that when the Wings got more powerplays than the Pens in the last two games?

Find another excuse...or congratulate the better team! ;)

wooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelCitySooner
6/13/2009, 02:24 PM
Obviously I am biased, but this has to be one of the best Stanley Cup Final's in a long time. No one gave those kids from Pittsburgh a chance. It still hasn't quite sunk in yet!!

SteelCitySooner
6/14/2009, 10:47 PM
How can you not love this guy? From "Oh sh*t" to him patting the crossbar..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNigfM8Ay18