PDA

View Full Version : Capel vs. Tubbs

soonervegas
4/14/2009, 04:30 PM
So through 3 years here is where each of them stand on tourney success:

Capel: 4-2 .667
Tubbs: 1-1 .500

My question is this, after 5 years will Capel still hold the lead?

Tubbs: 4-3 .571
Capel: ????

It will take a pair of round of 32 or at least 1 Sweet 16 appearance over the next two seasons to hold serve.

Yes or No?

badger
4/14/2009, 04:41 PM
It will also take a pair of Blake Griffins (or just one) to continue with that awesome tourney record :)

jumperstop
4/14/2009, 05:13 PM
It is quite possible that he can get those wins in the next two seasons, but we will have to see how the incoming class looks before we can make a decision on how much of a run he can make in the tourney next season.

Frozen Sooner
4/14/2009, 05:20 PM
You know, there's also the possibility that he could miss the NCAA tournament entirely those two years, which would mean he still has a better record than Tubbs.

Sometimes it's good to be careful what you wish for. :D

soonervegas
4/15/2009, 09:11 AM
ha ha very true frozen.

KingBarry
4/17/2009, 08:37 AM
You know, there's also the possibility that he could miss the NCAA tournament entirely those two years, which would mean he still has a better record than Tubbs.

Sometimes it's good to be careful what you wish for. :D

Comparing tourney records just doesn't really tell you much. If Capel's teams lose in the first round the next two years, so he would be 4-4, compared to Tubbs 4-3.

While Tubbs would hold a winning record compared to Capel's .500 record, I think we'd all have to agree it's better to go to four tournaments than only three.

Of course, Tubbs early teams also played in the "less than 64 team" era, so you'd have to factor that in.

I think after three years, they both are showing some promise. To my mind, Capel has got more upside potential than Tubbs achieved (no disrespect at all to Mr Tubbs, who I still love), but two questions linger for me:

1. Will he achieve that potential?
2. Will he achieve it in Norman?

Sooner04
4/17/2009, 08:53 AM
To my mind, Capel has got more upside potential than Tubbs achieved (no disrespect at all to Mr Tubbs, who I still love), but two questions linger for me:

1. Will he achieve that potential?
2. Will he achieve it in Norman?
In Billy's first ten seasons this is what we accomplished:

1 Final Four - '88
2 Elite Eights - '85, '88
4 Sweet Sixteens - '85, '87, '88, '89
4 #1 Seeds - '85, '88, '89, '90
5 Big 8 Championships - '84, '85, '88, '89, '90
3 Big 8 Tournament Championships - '85, '88, '90

If Capel's got more upside than that, we better buckle up for one hell of a ride.

badger
4/17/2009, 10:58 AM
Just to keep the bball naysayers at bay and to keep this wonderful discussion going...

Capel has much to prove, but I think he is up for the challenge. If he can get us just one national championship before he retires/leaves for whatever reason, then crown him the greatest :)

the_ouskull
4/20/2009, 04:40 PM
"Just" one. Heh. I like your spirit, kid.

the_ouskull

stoopified
4/25/2009, 07:44 PM
One thing I would say is that Capel owes at least some measure of his accomplishments to the foundation laid down by Tubbs and yes even KS.I think Capel can be fairly compared after 10 years and I hope we have the chance to do sBTW Badger I'm thinking if Capel wins a NC at OU he ain't going anywhere else (at least not for a while-10 years at least).