PDA

View Full Version : 4/3 vs 3/4 defense

Dan Thompson
4/14/2009, 03:31 PM
Over the middle, over the middle. Last year that seem to be the place to make yardage on OU.

I have seen the TEs back out on some plays and this gave me the idea of switching from a 4/3 defense to a 3/4 on passing downs.

I can hear everyone saying "WE ALREADY DO THAT."

I was thinking more on the lines of shifting the LBs one side and have the TE on the side the LB vacated move to that LB position.

This way we could have to MLBs for the short over the middle pass. Maybe have a CB come up a blitz from the blind side.

What do you think?

OU_Sooners75
4/14/2009, 03:33 PM
Well, we have won 6 Big 12 titles, 1 National Championship and have been to 4 of them.

I will let the coaches decide.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/14/2009, 03:38 PM
TE?

and no...what your talking about would work if the O was in the jumbo set, but with 4 or 5 WR on the field, I don't think you want that kind of mismatch...and you blitz a corner, then what? who is gonna take his assignment?...

Collier11
4/14/2009, 03:39 PM
BV and Stoops make GREAT HT adjustments, sometimes if it is early in the half they seem slow to adjust. I am basing that on the texas game the past two years

CaliBornSoonerBred
4/14/2009, 03:47 PM
I am going to be "that guy" and say we do that to an extent but the way we do it now creates a TOTALLY different look for a QB looking at the D before the snap. When you drop McCoy or another DLineman, you're allowing him to fill a hole in the D where someone blitzes from or putting another man in short coverage. When they drop back into a short zone, the QB can make mistakes on quicker throws. If you remember McCoy's interception in the MNC, that's exactly what happened when he dropped back and picked the quicker throw. It's all about the look(and switching it after snap) and confusing the QB in OUr current scheme.

JLEW1818
4/14/2009, 03:53 PM
i see dead people

OUTrumpet
4/14/2009, 10:03 PM
It's a little bit more complicated than that. It's not just saying we're going to line up different than offensively. It'd be like saying USC should switch from their pro-set West Coast offense to an air raid shotgun look in the middle of a game. We've recruited for a 4-3, we've trained for a 4-3. Yes, we can switch to 3 down linemen sometimes but only when we need extra db's. (Anyone remember Blake changing offensive schemes mid-game?)

In a 4-3, you want your linebackers and defensive ends to put the outside pressure and contain the flats with your defensive ends controlling the center of the line and hopefully getting double teams. Typical scheme is for a cover 2.

In a 3-4 - your defensive ends play more like the DTs and try to draw double teams and take the linemen's attention so that the linebackers can make more plays. Typical scheme is for a cover 3.

starclassic tama
4/14/2009, 10:09 PM
not to mention you don't want 4 linebackers and just 4 DB's on a passing down

OU_Sooners75
4/15/2009, 01:32 AM
not to mention you don't want 4 linebackers and just 4 DB's on a passing down

Well, we do have Lewis and Clayton, both are smaller for LBs nowadays but also big for DBs.

They both have great speed and instinct to the ball.

A 3-4 zone with two middle LBs and 2 OLBs or 1 rover (db in the middle) 2 olbs and 1 mlb would work in a traditional 3-4 set.