PDA

View Full Version : Just a bit dissapointed

SoonerTerry
4/14/2009, 01:31 PM
Took my son to his (and Mine) first red white game. The atmosphere was incredible, and seeing Casillas and the Boz on the sideline 10 feet away.. as well as all of the former sooners that showed up, what a great day.

Anyway on to the disappointing part. We were next to the wall when Tony came over to sign a few autographs.. he didnt make it to us. A bit down, but its almost halftime and they have to get ready.... ok

We have to leave at halftime to make it to mom's for Easter.. on the way out wife says LOOK.. I'm walkin right next to Casillas.. HOLY ****!! I grab the 30$ football we bought that day from the kid and ask Tony to sign it.. but he has to split to catch an airplane. Don't get me wrong.. I know if he stops to sign the kids football there will be 50 more people there in 5 seconds wanting the same thing.. so nothing bad on Tony.. I was just glad to see him there.

the kid on the other hand was really wanting to meet some sooners and have something to show his friends.

anyway.. who do I have to pleasure to get my kid some facetime with a football player.. seriously

OUMallen
4/14/2009, 01:35 PM
Me.

OU_Sooners75
4/14/2009, 01:39 PM
There is this club...it is called:

The Sooner Kids Club! http://www.soonersports.com/kids/okla-kids.html

From grades 8th on down can be a member of this club. It is something like $30/year.

Before the Spring game, if your child is a member of the Sooner Kids Club, they get to go to the practice field (South side of stadium off of Lindsey) and meet with all Sooner players and coaches, and more!

Not sure if the Sooner Club gets in or not though...Sooner Club is $100/year and is for adults.

SoonerTerry
4/14/2009, 01:48 PM
Hell Yes!!!!1111!11!!!

Thanks 75!

badger
4/14/2009, 04:34 PM
Definitely check into the Sooner Kids Club like 75 suggested.

As for Saturday, we probably met each other without knowing it. I have never asked for an autograph for myself and this weekend was no different. I, too, was roaming the sidelines to see if alumni would be available for signing a ball for a family friend.

I did the same thing last year and the place to be during the first half is the away-side near the 20 yard line. I think coaches instruct current players to not autograph during the game, but alumni, on the other hand, will almost-never turn down a fan who asks them by name.

However, Saturday had a very, very lucky thing going for autograph seekers: The construction in the southwest corner of the stadium. All players had to exit through the southeast exit, so many of us (myself included) camped out in this area following halftime to catch them as they were leaving.

Also, it never hurts to be as polite as possible. You may have noticed that Tony Casillas only came over because a photographer on the sidelines knew someone in the stands and asked him to take a pic with them. As soon as they were done, I said "Excuse me, Mr. Casillas? May I have your autograph?" He didn't turn me down and even stayed to sign a few more after me before heading to the alumni thing for halftime. I thanked him profusely afterward.

If your son wants guaranteed autographs, check into things like the Sooner Caravan, which usually visit area alumni hotspots (Houston, Dallas, Tulsa, OKC) in early August or so. All of the coaches (health permitting) appear at these and usually a few alumni or even the team captains will appear also. If time permits, the coaches will even pose for pictures but will not leave until each and every fan has an autograph.

You don't have to pleasure anyone for alumni autographs. Just be in the right place at the right time and use the right words. I recommend teaching your son "Excuse me, Mr. ______? May I have your autograph?" Be sure to remind him to say "Thank you" afterward. Too many kids around me (possibly some adults) spent the entire first half yelling the first names of the players (or in the case of the current players, their last names or jersey numbers) and some didn't even say "thank you" afterward.

Jay Upchurch might also pitch a Sooner Spectator subscription at ya too for some additional autograph opportunities :) Stay tuned to the football board this fall for those, as there's usually one for every home game. Jay - PLEASE track down Greg Pruitt! Mr. Pruitt, if you're reading, my father-in-law is a huge fan!

badger
4/14/2009, 06:14 PM
Also, some other people might have insight into when the "right time" is or the "right place," but in addition to never asking current players in the middle of a game/practice, don't ask coaches for their autograph if they're trying to recruit. If you see them with the next Adrian Peterson or Sam Bradford or Tommie Harris or Roy Williams, know that coaches need to devote every bit of their attention to the recruit and cannot give autographs then.

BermudaSooner
4/15/2009, 10:07 AM
The Sooner kids club also does an autograph day in August. Hotter than Hades, but the kids love it. The line for the QBs is ridiculous, but most of the other lines are reasonable.

Widescreen
4/15/2009, 11:37 AM
Offer the player a Coke. He'll throw you a jersey.

Sooner74
4/15/2009, 04:00 PM
And subsequently tackle the crap out of a reporter?

nativesooner
4/15/2009, 10:46 PM
If you are signed up for the kids club you can get into the fan day 30 minutes before the chaos ensues. You can always do that but I'd get there REALLY early. You should be able to get at least one big name auto and two if you're real lucky. If your kiddo doesn't care who he gets, have him go through the linemans line, then hit the ST or DB's. Those lines are usually shorter and you can get more. Most everyone will be in the RB's or QB's line. Also if you're wanting to meet older players Jay usually has some big names signing on Campus Corner before the games. Other than that you can wait outside the Switzer Center after the games. Most of the guys will come out and they'll gladly sign your kids stuff. Hope this helps!

nativesooner
4/15/2009, 10:48 PM
PLEASE track down Greg Pruitt! Mr. Pruitt, if you're reading, my father-in-law is a huge fan!

Badge, if you're needing a Pruitt auto for your father in law I have an extra. Just holler and it's yours.