PDA

View Full Version : i wish we had the kind of size at WR that army does...

starclassic tama
4/14/2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090331/SPORTS36/903310322

SoonersEnFuego
4/14/2009, 12:35 PM
Put in Blake Griffin and just throw fade routes in the endzone. That should work.

soonerfan28
4/14/2009, 12:53 PM
Why wouldn't you just play this guy at defensive end. Doesn't Army run the option? Is there not a height requirement in the Army?

OUMallen
4/14/2009, 01:00 PM
the article doesn't sound like he's even that good.

badger
4/14/2009, 01:20 PM
I see no problem with Army having a 6'10" wide receiver. Wide receivers tend to be tall than defensive backs - corners, safeties, etc. - so having a few inches (or a mile, perhaps) on the guy defending you sounds like a good thing, no?

Now if this guy could THROW the ball, that would be evern crazier, because there's no o-line or d-line he couldn't see over, heh... not even one stacked with a bunch of Loadholts :D

yermom
4/14/2009, 01:35 PM
why isn't he a TE? are they THAT deep at TE and that thin at WR? i'd think there would have to be a faster TE than him to move to WR

badger
4/14/2009, 01:38 PM
why isn't he a TE? are they THAT deep at TE and that thin at WR? i'd think there would have to be a faster TE than him to move to WR

The only thing army's deep at is arse whoopins... that's not meant to be a joke, that's the cold hard truth.

NormanPride
4/14/2009, 01:52 PM

Maybe he's really weak and can't handle the blocking assignments?

EDIT: Just saw the article. Nevermind. They're crazy.

starclassic tama
4/14/2009, 01:59 PM
from that article it sounds like the guy isn't very good so they keep moving him around trying to get some sort of value out of a 6'10 football player. he started on the o-line and they say he had "potential to be an all-american" well obviously that didn't work out.

yermom
4/14/2009, 02:07 PM
is there not an Army basketball team? :D

Mad Dog Madsen
4/14/2009, 03:16 PM
I say he gets maybe 10-15 catches all year long. Probably all in the Red Zone. Doesn't Army run the ball just about every play anywayz? Or was that Navy?

fossil
4/14/2009, 03:21 PM
:D Yeah, but he runs a 6.3 40.

IronHorseSooner
4/14/2009, 03:46 PM
When I came in about 11 years ago, the Army height/weight standards stopped at 6'9". I don't believe that there is an official max height, especially now that recruiting standards have been expanded to meet mission (age in particular). I'm more concerned about when he graduates and whether or not he will be a good lieutenant when I am his Battalion Commander.

JLEW1818
4/14/2009, 03:55 PM
can u say... bust

Frozen Sooner
4/14/2009, 04:30 PM
I see no problem with Army having a 6'10" wide receiver. Wide receivers tend to be tall than defensive backs - corners, safeties, etc. - so having a few inches (or a mile, perhaps) on the guy defending you sounds like a good thing, no?

Now if this guy could THROW the ball, that would be evern crazier, because there's no o-line or d-line he couldn't see over, heh... not even one stacked with a bunch of Loadholts :D

Yeah, because Dan McGwire (yes, Mark's brother) turned out to be an AWESOME pro QB.

Guys that tall make lousy QBs. They take October to get outside the pocket, run like they're mad at the ground, and there's so many things that can go wrong with your mechanics when your arms are that long (without even going into how much longer it takes to throw the ball) that it's just a bad deal all around.

badger
4/14/2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, because Dan McGwire (yes, Mark's brother) turned out to be an AWESOME pro QB.

Guys that tall make lousy QBs. They take October to get outside the pocket, run like they're mad at the ground, and there's so many things that can go wrong with your mechanics when your arms are that long (without even going into how much longer it takes to throw the ball) that it's just a bad deal all around.

I said crazier, not better. Besides, Army won't win regardless of how awesome their unis look for the Commander in Chief's cup, so why not try a 6'10" QB?

soonerfan28
4/14/2009, 06:19 PM
He sounds like Kyle Ingraham.

ouleaf
4/14/2009, 08:32 PM
Haven't we seen this story before? I don't think it worked out too well either.

http://www.wizznutzz.com/images/bol_hockey1.jpg

AlbqSooner
4/15/2009, 06:19 AM
Height requirements at service academies went away when David Robinson came along.

Desert Sapper
4/15/2009, 07:07 AM
Height requirements can be waived for strong candidates. I think he is in the same boat (no pun intended) as Dave Robinson and arrived under the height requirement, but grew several inches his first year at the Academy.

I'm not sure its a good thing to make him a WR. Time will tell. He apparently runs a 4.8 40.