PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy a GPS thingy

Jerk
4/13/2009, 07:11 PM
for my wife...

Don't want to spend more than $200

Any suggestions?

Is the bluetooth worth it?

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=357&name=GPS-Navigation

BudSooner
4/13/2009, 07:37 PM
Save your money, and get her to read a map. Those GPS gadgets suck..we used a Tom Tom one week and then a Garmin they got our asses lost quicker than Google maps or Mapquest.

Jerk
4/13/2009, 07:40 PM
Save your money, and get her to read a map. Those GPS gadgets suck..we used a Tom Tom one week and then a Garmin they got our asses lost quicker than Google maps or Mapquest.

Dude...I have the GPS thingy already, in my head. My wife is actually okay for a woman, but still would benefit from an electronic one that uses satellite signal to compute data into real time location and heading. Any suggestions?

BudSooner
4/13/2009, 07:52 PM
Dude...I have the GPS thingy already, in my head. My wife is actually okay for a woman, but still would benefit from an electronic one that uses satellite signal to compute data into real time location and heading. Any suggestions?
Any special features you were looking for? My aunt has one of these, and likes it, the maps are preloaded, it has text to speech, bluetooth, usb, it is wide screen and touch sensitive..not a bad unit for the price. From 167-219 at various stores, I can't remember where she got hers though.

http://www.gpsreview.net/navigon-7100/

Jerk
4/13/2009, 07:58 PM
Bah I just ordered one to get it over with

Over budget, too

BudSooner
4/13/2009, 08:20 PM

Over budget, too

When in doubt....CHARGE!:D

Hot Rod
4/13/2009, 08:21 PM
I like seeing people on my way to work, around 6am, use them, as if the route to work is different. :D

Al Gore
4/13/2009, 08:22 PM
Love my Garmin....I named her Gabby....

Boomer Mooner
4/13/2009, 08:40 PM
We travel a bit and a gps is the way to go. We got a Garmin from Bestbuy for about $150. They are very cool...show you the best route, estimated time of arrival, show the speed limit (how many time you wonder if your in a 55 or 70 mph zone?).

soonerboomer93
4/13/2009, 08:53 PM
I have a built in gps. I don't use it for directions for the most part, just so I know mileage remaining on my trip.

Curly Bill
4/13/2009, 09:08 PM
We travel a bit and a gps is the way to go. We got a Garmin from Bestbuy for about $150. They are very cool...show you the best route, estimated time of arrival, show the speed limit (how many time you wonder if your in a 55 or 70 mph zone?).

If in doubt it's 70.

...least that's the way I see it. ;)

A Sooner in Texas
4/13/2009, 09:41 PM
I have great GPS on my Sprint phone (yeah, you suck in my house, Sprint, but on the road you're beautiful). I've used it numerous times and it's always been spot on. Turn-by-turn routes, traffic alerts (where a slowdown is and how long it'll take to clear), maps. Free app for any Sprint phone. Sure beats having to pay for a separate GPS.

Okla-homey
4/14/2009, 05:44 AM
Garmin nuvi 200W.

You're welcome.

Boomer Mooner
4/14/2009, 07:23 AM
The problem with the phone gps is it's hard to see while driving. I put our Garmin on the windshield just below the rear view mirror.

Not sure what type Bud Sooner was using, but ours is spot on. It's also good to use to find restaurants or gas stations when your in unfamiliar territory.

olevetonahill
4/14/2009, 07:52 AM

Over budget, too

Impatient Much ? :D :P

TheHumanAlphabet
4/14/2009, 08:29 AM
I have a Garmin iQue M5. Love it. Unfortunately they are not made anymore, though you may find a few still out there, they still make the map updates for it. Whatever you get if you get one, get one that you can update the maps on the system.

TUSooner
4/14/2009, 12:40 PM

Over budget, too

I was looking for one last fall, and after asking some colleagues and my bro-in-law, etc I discovered that there's little or nothing worthwhile for
< $200.
I ended up sticking with good old paper maps.

Fraggle145
4/14/2009, 03:11 PM
Garmin is the way to go. Get one where you can update the maps and you are golden.