PDA

View Full Version : favorite thing REAGAN did(besides lowering taxes)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/13/2009, 03:33 PM
I'm torn between his "Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Wall" speech, and his firing of the Air Traffic Controllers after their illegal strike.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/13/2009, 03:34 PM
I'd go with busting the strike...

KC//CRIMSON
4/13/2009, 03:36 PM
Claiming he defeated communism, when he didn't.

KC//CRIMSON
4/13/2009, 03:38 PM
Taxing the middle class to death like no other president in history.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/13/2009, 03:44 PM
I wish I could find my Rappin' Ronny Reagan tape. :(

tommieharris91
4/13/2009, 03:46 PM
I've gotta go with his handling of the ATC strike.

OhU1
4/13/2009, 03:56 PM
I liked it when he urged Oklahoma to send "Don Rickles" back to the Senate. I always got a kick out of old Don Rickles.

I also like him bombing the crap out of Libya. Gaffadi has been like a docile neutered cat ever since.

walkoffsooner
4/13/2009, 04:04 PM
I liked it when he played with bonzo

4/13/2009, 05:01 PM
I also like him bombing the crap out of Libya. Gaffadi has been like a docile neutered cat ever since.It did seem to calm him down a bit, didn't it?haha

Lott's Bandana
4/13/2009, 05:45 PM
I was a big fan of his 11% military pay raise.

I would say a damn good start to his time in office and it paid dividends throughout the rest of his life. Most Cold War military vets would tell you wed've stormed Hell for the man, even after the horrible Beirut massacre.
His response?
Park the Mizz offshore 10 miles and lob shells the size of VW Beetles into the city.

KC//CRIMSON
4/13/2009, 06:28 PM
His response?
Park the Mizz offshore 10 miles and lob shells the size of VW Beetles into the city.

According to some observers, there was no serious retaliation for the Beirut bombing from the Americans, besides a few shellings.

In retaliation for the attacks, France launched an airstrike in the Beqaa Valley against alleged Islamic Revolutionary Guards positions.

President Reagan assembled his national security team and planned to target the Sheik Abdullah barracks in Baalbek, Lebanon, which housed Iranian Revolutionary Guards believed to be training Hezbollah fighters. A joint American-French air assault on the camp where the bombing was planned was also approved by Reagan and Mitterrand. Defense Secretary Weinberger, however, lobbied successfully against the missions.

However, the retaliation for the bombing was severe, with hundreds of Lebanese civilians killed by the American and French shells and bombs in indiscriminate bombings.

just saying....

Lott's Bandana
4/13/2009, 07:05 PM
You forgot to add what happened after the Mizz was done.

We left.

You know this KC...war sucks. For Marines, for terrorists, for civilians.

You obviously aren't a RR fan...that's cool by me. However, the untouchable, immeasurable boost that man gave to our military forces led to some significant success and support for reaching some of our until-then, geo-politically stagnant goals.

Regardless if you agree with the methods, or whether it was even done purposefully, the RR administration was a notable catalyst for the implosion of the Soviet Union. Since I spent the first 10 years of my military career literally at war with the Soviets
(my submarines went to sea at Devcon 2, with torpedo tubes loaded with live MK48 torpedoes which tracked EVERY contact - only the Rules of Engagement keeping us from shoving one up the azz of the Typhoon or Victor III we would be tracking),
I was and am appreciative of his dramatic fashion in which he dealt with the Evil Empire.

Middle East Terrorism? With the exception of Libya, with it's uniformed military, RR didn't deal with that issue all that well...however, who has?

Harry Beanbag
4/13/2009, 10:01 PM
Has an American ever done anything that KC has anything good to say about? Scratch that. Has anybody done anything that KC has anything good to say about?

KC//CRIMSON
4/13/2009, 10:33 PM
Has an American ever done anything that KC has anything good to say about? Scratch that. Has anybody done anything that KC has anything good to say about?

Yeah, Obama giving the word to take out the pirates. Happy?

Settle down, bug eyes.

Harry Beanbag
4/13/2009, 10:39 PM

Settle down, bug eyes.

Bug eyes? :confused:

Is LAS writing your material, cuz it's hella lame. ;) :rolleyes: :D :) :P :cool:

theresonly1OU
4/13/2009, 10:46 PM
Claiming he defeated communism, when he didn't.

Wrong.

theresonly1OU
4/13/2009, 10:47 PM
Taxing the middle class to death like no other president in history.

Wrong again.

tommieharris91
4/13/2009, 10:57 PM
Wrong.

Last I checked China was a communist country.

KC//CRIMSON
4/13/2009, 11:31 PM
Wrong.

Fail. Read up on your history, slapnuts.

KC//CRIMSON
4/13/2009, 11:33 PM
Wrong again.

Fail again, King of Siam.

Lott's Bandana
4/13/2009, 11:36 PM
Well, I think he came closer to ending communism than Uncle Al did to inventing the internet.

Jus sayin.

Sooner04
4/13/2009, 11:37 PM
Lot of name calling in here. Instead of policing our golf threads, how about we get the mods to nip this stuff in the bud so the South Oval can quit being a cess pool.

And I think the best thing Ronald Reagan did was make a large number of Americans proud to be Americans again.

Now you can all bash me into oblivion. :)

4/13/2009, 11:46 PM
And I think the best thing Ronald Reagan did was make a large number of Americans proud to be Americans again.

:)Bottom Line-like no other president since Ike, and nobody else since Ronnie himself.

KC//CRIMSON
4/13/2009, 11:47 PM
Lot of name calling in here. Instead of policing our golf threads, how about we get the mods to nip this stuff in the bud so the South Oval can quit being a cess pool.

Well, to be honest, the only reason this thread was started by RLIMC was to stir the pot. Because god knows this board can't go six weeks without a Ronald Reagan circle jerk. Think I'm kidding? Do a search and it all becomes clear. Fap Fap Fap!

4/14/2009, 12:03 AM
Are you doing the name-calling KC? I bet you're the one.

KC//CRIMSON
4/14/2009, 12:08 AM

Well, he is the proclaimed King of Siam.

tommieharris91
4/14/2009, 12:13 AM

Fail. Read up on your history, slapnuts.

In this thread, KC indeed started the namecalling.

KC//CRIMSON
4/14/2009, 12:18 AM
In this thread, KC indeed started the namecalling.

Can I call you scorekeeper?

tommieharris91
4/14/2009, 12:20 AM

Settle down, bug eyes.

KC has 2 points.

StoopTroup
4/14/2009, 12:20 AM
I liked how he would stare out the window like nothing mattered.

KC//CRIMSON
4/14/2009, 12:21 AM
KC has 2 points.

Hey! Nicknames don't count.

soonerscuba
4/14/2009, 01:07 AM
Wrong.I think the fact that there are various countries in the world still running as communist states and the fact that the government of the USSR continued to exist 3 years after his presidency would suggest otherwise. Unless of course you are suggesting that the US did nothing to address communism until he got into office, in which you would be foolish. I'm not saying that Reagan didn't play his part, but there was 5 decades of people playing their part.

Wrong again.It's hyperbole to say Reagan taxed the middle class to death, but as percentage of GDP the Reagan tax rollbacks were greater than Clinton's in 1993, he judged his '81 tax cut as overly optimistic and rolled back in '82 and '83, both of which were pragmatic and a cornerstone of good leadership. It does a disservice to the leadership and legacy of the man to saddle him with a lens that he cut taxes at every turn and never looked back as sound fiscal policy.

As a side note, the whole persona of believe me because I know I'm right that you are clinging to almost always turns out badly. There are tons of conservatives on the board that don't come off as ill-informed pretentious blowhards, I'm sure they would welcome you into the ranks, and you just might learn a thing or two about a thing or two.

KC//CRIMSON
4/14/2009, 01:33 AM
To add to the first part of your post, as I have mentioned before when it comes to Reagan and communism: The Soviet Union imploded owing to economic reasons. Mainly from military spending, collectivized agriculture, price of oil, and inefficient planned manufacturing. The Soviets de-funded and bankrupted themselves into obscurity. Communism is an economic ideology which is fundamentally untenable. To say Reagan was the sole conqueror of communism is well, off base. IMO there are just way too many variables to lay the defeat of communism at the feet of The Gipper.

KC//CRIMSON
4/14/2009, 02:00 AM
To add: look no further than the Tax reform Act of 1986 (the biggest tax increase in our history) if you don't think he hijacked the middle class taxes. Not to mention that by the late 1980s, middle class incomes were barely higher than they had been a decade before and the poverty rate had actually risen.

SoonerProphet
4/14/2009, 06:49 AM
Not to nit-pick, but the glorification kinda gets to me, not just Ronnie but any prez. Lockerbie happened after we bombed Libya.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/14/2009, 08:10 AM

Settle down, bug eyes.

Like Oblahma had ANYTHING to do with the snipers taking out the pirates.

I gave the order as well! In fact I was telling them to do as soon as we knew he was in the life raft.

Some will rightfully point out that I am not CiC and Oblahma is. I am just pointing out that I placed the same amount of effort into the order as Oblahma. The real heroes are the commander on scene that gave the order and the SEAL snipers that parachuted into the area, picked up out of the water and then made three head shots in choppy, chaotic waters.

Howzit
4/14/2009, 08:26 AM
I thought it was awesome when he would nod off in staff meetings.

OULOVE
4/14/2009, 09:38 AM
I like how he ripped the solar panels off the White House that Carter put up and got rid of the tax credits for renewable energy. Rolling back the CAFE standard helped too.

Lott's Bandana
4/14/2009, 09:47 AM
I thought it was awesome when he would nod off in threads.

zzzzzzz

crawfish
4/14/2009, 12:11 PM
"My fellow Americans, I've just signed legislation outlawing Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

sooner_born_1960
4/14/2009, 12:19 PM
"Are you better off than you were four years ago? " Game, set, match.

OUmillenium
4/14/2009, 12:41 PM
I got excited for a minute when I saw the title...I thought it said lowering Texas.

NYC Poke
4/14/2009, 02:34 PM
""In the end we beat them with Levi 501 Jeans. Seventy-two years of Communist indoctrination and propaganda was drowned out by a three-ounce Sony Walkman. A huge totalitarian system has been brought to its knees because nobody wants to wear Bulgarian shoes."

-- P.J. O'Rourke

OU_Sooners75
4/14/2009, 02:35 PM
My favorite Reagan thing.....the war on drugs....I mean that war has worked wonders!!

Oh wait!

Condescending Sooner
4/14/2009, 03:37 PM
My favorite Reagan thing.....the war on drugs....I mean that war has worked wonders!!

Oh wait!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't drugs illegal before Reagan took office?

C&CDean
4/14/2009, 04:43 PM
Reagan could give a speech. Like a mother****er man.

I don't care who you were (unless you were Comrade KC), Ronald Reagan captured your attention and kept it.

He also wasn't a big *****. That's important too.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/14/2009, 04:57 PM
Reagan was a master at taking a message to the masses and making them feel like it was their idea

OU_Sooners75
4/15/2009, 01:51 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't drugs illegal before Reagan took office?

Why yes, yes they were.

However Reagan started this war, it was called the War on Drugs....It has worked well for the past 25+ years, let me tell ya!

olevetonahill
4/15/2009, 02:07 AM

Dont Know about yer Golf threads
But you got the Being Proud to be American again spot on .

olevetonahill
4/15/2009, 02:13 AM
Why yes, yes they were.

However Reagan started this war, it was called the War on Drugs....It has worked well for the past 25+ years, let me tell ya!

Ive been Burning that evil weed every chance I get
We will prevail :D

OU_Sooners75
4/15/2009, 02:15 AM
Ive been Burning that evil weed every chance I get
We will prevail :D

Puff puff give bro!

The mary jane should be legal anyway!

olevetonahill
4/15/2009, 02:40 AM
Puff puff give bro!

The mary jane should be legal anyway!

But I will Not quit trying to Eradicate it .;)

olevetonahill
4/15/2009, 03:42 AM
"Are you better off than you were four years ago? " Game, set, match.

Yes , Yes I am .
Im in less debt and Have Mo money :P

4/16/2009, 11:40 AM
Changed my mind. I'm going with - He rebuilt the US Military after Carter gutted it so badly...

Lott's Bandana
4/16/2009, 12:18 PM
Changed my mind. I'm going with - He rebuilt the US Military after Carter gutted it so badly...

1,000 ships baby!

We almost got there...

Harry Beanbag
4/16/2009, 05:08 PM
I thought it was 500 ships.

C&CDean
4/17/2009, 09:02 AM
500 - 1000? Quit splitting hairs.

I gotta say I was jealous of the guys in the military when Reagan went in. I was in during Ford/Carter and it was the absolute worst time to be a soldier. Everybody was coming back from Nam, nobody gave a **** about anything, the pay sucked, we had WWII equipment and barracks, and half the unit were junkies. You didn't dare wear a uniform off base (unless you liked being harrassed, called a baby killer, or even getting your *** beat or shot). We didn't have 2 nickles to rub together after going downtown on payday Friday.

Reagan put pride back in the military. He made it attractive to young people. Many of the equipment improvements - especially for the combat soldier took place under Reagan's watch. When I was in we had steel pots, WWII TA-50 (packs, web gear, ammo pouches, etc.), OD green fatigues (no fancy cammo BDUs), black Corcoran jump boots (which ain't worth a **** for marching or jumping), and lived in bay barracks with no A/C where you took your morning **** on a row of turlets without walls while some other dudes were shaving or picking their zits 3 feet away from you.

Reagan fixed all that ****.

Lott's Bandana
4/17/2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah Dean,

I was in my training pipeline when RR took office. Before I had matriculated to the Fleet, I had gone from open bay barracks with a locker and rack and community head for 80, to two-d00d apartments with shared heads with the adjoining apartment. (barracks room).

We also went from a decent 637-class fast attack submarine to the lethal 688i in about 7 years, with the Seawolf close behind.

Polaris A3 SLBM to the Trident D5 in a decade. Went from having to be in the North Sea to hit Russkies to being able to launch from the Florida or Washington coast.

All that spending is what broke the Bear's back, trying to keep up. Just the threat of Star Wars I believe, was a huge reason for the Wall to come down.

IMHO, the deficit was worth it.

Lott's Bandana
4/17/2009, 11:14 AM
I thought it was 500 ships.

Publicly RR politicked for 600-ships, with 1000 being the level during the '50s that he alluded to want to emulate. All the period military publications during the buildup called it the 1000 ship Navy.

We now have about 375, but there are several wonks and admirals on board with a new Thousand Ship Navy (TSN) policy designed to cover the Pacific and the emerging pirate threat.

Kind of like asking for the whole pie to get a slice, I suppose.

Harry Beanbag
4/17/2009, 04:29 PM
I was in Clinton's navy and witnessed first hand part of the destruction of Reagan's great fleet.

OU_Sooners75
4/18/2009, 02:29 AM
Yeah Dean,

I was in my training pipeline when RR took office. Before I had matriculated to the Fleet, I had gone from open bay barracks with a locker and rack and community head for 80, to two-d00d apartments with shared heads with the adjoining apartment. (barracks room).

We also went from a decent 637-class fast attack submarine to the lethal 688i in about 7 years, with the Seawolf close behind.

Polaris A3 SLBM to the Trident D5 in a decade. Went from having to be in the North Sea to hit Russkies to being able to launch from the Florida or Washington coast.

All that spending is what broke the Bear's back, trying to keep up. Just the threat of Star Wars I believe, was a huge reason for the Wall to come down.

IMHO, the deficit was worth it.

Submariner eh?

My Uncle is a Submariner. He has been for about 28 years now. Chief of the boat! E-9.

Jacie
4/18/2009, 02:44 PM
""In the end we beat them with Levi 501 Jeans. Seventy-two years of Communist indoctrination and propaganda was drowned out by a three-ounce Sony Walkman. A huge totalitarian system has been brought to its knees because nobody wants to wear Bulgarian shoes."

-- P.J. O'Rourke

Reminds me of an hilarious quote from columnist George Will. Before the fall of the (old) Soviet Union, they had signed an economic development deal with the Japanese. During the photo op a senior Soviet official said that the economy of the Soviet Union today was where Japan's was at the end of WWII. George Will commenting on this statement said, "In other words, 70 years of The Great Experiment has left the Soviet Union in the same condition as six months of round-the-clock bombing by the U.S. Army Air Force."

Personally, I marked the beginning of the end of the U.S.S.R . sometime from the late seventies upon hearing of a deal the Soviets made with Pepsi. Further evidence of the impending demise came from news reports of the opening of the first McDonald's restaurant in Moscow. People waited in line for three hours to get in and after finishing their meals kept the empty styrofoam containers. President Reagan may have bankrupted their government, but the Russian citizens had already started the process of Westernization.

For further study read Peter Schweizer's Victory: The Reagan Administration's Secret Strategy That Hastened the Collapse of the Soviet Union .

As for my favorite thing Ronald Reagan did, well as a child I always liked his introduction of each episode of Death Valley Days. Ron had replaced "the old ranger" who used to be the host.

Lott's Bandana
4/18/2009, 05:09 PM
Submariner eh?

My Uncle is a Submariner. He has been for about 28 years now. Chief of the boat! E-9.

Very likely I know him.

I retired 10 years ago, so he was about 2 years behind me and the boats are a small community, about 8% of the USN.

olevetonahill
4/18/2009, 05:27 PM
I dint think you Swabbies Called em Boats :confused:

Harry Beanbag
4/18/2009, 08:43 PM
Subs are boats, a term of affection I believe. Anything on the surface bigger than a landing craft is a ship. A little strange since Ohio class subs are about the same size as the cruiser I served on.

Lott's Bandana
4/18/2009, 09:54 PM
Subs are boats, a term of affection I believe. Anything on the surface bigger than a landing craft is a ship. A little strange since Ohio class subs are about the same size as the cruiser I served on.

Yup. We call them boats out of deference to the German Unterseeboaten (sp?) or more commonly referred to as U-boat. Those Swabbies were lethal and set the standards still followed today. Except for the sinking of civilian liners.

Typically, "boats" are vessels carried on ships. And yes, a Trident 'boat' is over 500 feet long or almost two Owen Fields long.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/18/2009, 11:39 PM
1. Immigration Reform Control Act (amnesty bill for those who work for a living)

2. Making Martin Luther King Jr. birthday a federal holiday.

3. Appointed first woman supreme court justice

4. Making it acceptable for a conservative to rationalize large federal deficits