PDA

View Full Version : GM stock hit by bankruptcy report

BudSooner
4/13/2009, 01:21 PM
US carmaker General Motors has seen its shares fall sharply after a report that the US government wants the firm to start bankruptcy proceedings by 1 June.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7996898.stm

The New York Times said the Treasury Department wants a court-led reorganisation, but the firm wants to reorganise without going to court.
Shares in the ailing firm shed 17.6% to $1.68 in morning trade in New York.

It was bound to happen, sooner or later.

OUDoc
4/13/2009, 01:25 PM
Part of me thinks there is no way the government will let GM collapse and now would be a great time to buy their stock.
The other part of me likes my money.

tommieharris91
4/13/2009, 01:38 PM
Part of me thinks there is no way the government will let GM collapse and now would be a great time to buy their stock.

Wait a few days I'd say.

olevetonahill
4/13/2009, 01:39 PM
If I unnerstood Chuck right . If they Go Bankrupt then stock holders lose all their Cash .

Now I gots a ? . If they do the Reorganization, Are the Stock holders protected in some way ?

TheHumanAlphabet
4/13/2009, 03:35 PM
My bet is that they void all outstanding issues and re-issue new preferred stocks certs and make people buy new ones to bring in money.

Oldnslo
4/13/2009, 05:53 PM

I thought that it was time to buy when a democrat got elected because there was no way he'd let GM go down the swirlies.

I bought in at 6.

Sold at 3.

The end.