PDA

View Full Version : Olklahoman Hospitality...

Fraggle145
4/10/2009, 01:02 AM
I just wanted to relate a great story that happened to me today, that shows just how proud we should be to be Oklahomans.

Yesterday, I began a sampling trip of the Canadian River Basin from Lake Meredith in the *Texas* Panhandle to Robert S. Kerr Reservoir in East Oklahoma. Today my friend Emily and I were out Sampling Lake Eufaula around 4:00pm when the really large front came rolling in... We called a couple of people and they said it was just a severe thunderstorm warning and that it should miss us. We were driving across the bridge and I said the sky is green, there is going to be a tornado. On top of that the ash/smoke from the fires was following the front. But we could see the light following the storm so we thougth maybe we ould make it through it before it got too bad. We didnt have much choice. So we just headed to the location of where we thought we were going to sample the river next (we didnt have defined sites because we didnt know where/when we could access the river).

So we were between Crowder and Indianola (113) in a small development (Canadian Shores) that is mostly smaller mobile homes and lots of trees. Anyway first the rain starts coming slowly, then *CRACK* the hail starts coming down. 2 1/2 inch hail, hitting us while moving, in basically the woods, in bumble **** nowhere, where we dont know anyone, and we dont have any place to go. So we get back out on rd 113 and the hail is going from sporadic to every hit and we cant see ****. Emily is going crazy and telling me to get us out of there and squealing. She turns on the Radio and al we can hear between the white noise on almost every channel was Tornado Watch, Crowder, and Tornado. I have no idea which way is North or South or which way is out. Anyway, we let this truck pass us, and Emily says "Follow that guy he knows here he is going!" Of course he turns down the next driveway. So we follow him up the drive after we passed him and turned around, by which time he and his Parents were out on the porch watching the weather. We asked if we could ride it out with them. We get in the house and see the little rotation dealy they show on the news circling Idianola.

Long story short... Oklahoma hospitality shined through again. The invited us in and offered us some of their supper, fresh fish from Eufaula, and gave us some Root beer. Even though neither of us have showered in 2 days and have both been in the car some 28 hours with about 4 hours of sleep between us (and believe me we looked the part). They also told us the best way to get to our next site. Unfortunately we were so geeked up on adrenaline I cant for the life of me remember their names, I think his name was Lynn-Ellis (so if anyone knows anyone out there help me out!). But we drive back by and got their address from their mailbox (Hopefully it is the right one) and are going to send a thank you card. And they sent us on our way with a handshake and our thanks (even though they wouldnt hear none of it!)

Anyway, it made me proud to be an Oklahoman. :D

:gary:

Fraggle145
4/10/2009, 01:03 AM
Can someone fix the thread title? I am a moron.

olevetonahill
4/10/2009, 01:44 AM
I just wanted to relate a great story that happened to me today, that shows just how proud we should be to be Oklahomans.

Yesterday, I began a sampling trip of the Canadian River Basin from Lake Meredith in the *Texas* Panhandle to Robert S. Kerr Reservoir in East Oklahoma. Today my friend Emily and I were out Sampling Lake Eufaula around 4:00pm when the really large front came rolling in... We called a couple of people and they said it was just a severe thunderstorm warning and that it should miss us. We were driving across the bridge and I said the sky is green, there is going to be a tornado. On top of that the ash/smoke from the fires was following the front. But we could see the light following the storm so we thougth maybe we ould make it through it before it got too bad. We didnt have much choice. So we just headed to the location of where we thought we were going to sample the river next (we didnt have defined sites because we didnt know where/when we could access the river).

So we were between Crowder and Indianola (113) in a small development (Canadian Shores) that is mostly smaller mobile homes and lots of trees. Anyway first the rain starts coming slowly, then *CRACK* the hail starts coming down. 2 1/2 inch hail, hitting us while moving, in basically the woods, in bumble **** nowhere, where we dont know anyone, and we dont have any place to go. So we get back out on rd 113 and the hail is going from sporadic to every hit and we cant see ****. Emily is going crazy and telling me to get us out of there and squealing. She turns on the Radio and al we can hear between the white noise on almost every channel was Tornado Watch, Crowder, and Tornado. I have no idea which way is North or South or which way is out. Anyway, we let this truck pass us, and Emily says "Follow that guy he knows here he is going!" Of course he turns down the next driveway. So we follow him up the drive after we passed him and turned around, by which time he and his Parents were out on the porch watching the weather. We asked if we could ride it out with them. We get in the house and see the little rotation dealy they show on the news circling Idianola.

Long story short... Oklahoma hospitality shined through again. The invited us in and offered us some of their supper, fresh fish from Eufaula, and gave us some Root beer. d theEven though neither of us have showered in 2 days and have both been in the car some 28 hours with about 4 hours of sleep between us (and believe me we looke part). They also told us the best way to get to our next site. Unfortunately we were so geeked up on adrenaline I cant for the life of me remember their names, I think his name was Lynn-Ellis (so if anyone knows anyone out there help me out!). But we drive back by and got their address from their mailbox (Hopefully it is the right one) and are going to send a thank you card. And they sent us on our way with a handshake and our thanks (even though they wouldnt hear none of it!)

Anyway, it made me proud to be an Oklahoman. :D

:gary:

And you sleep with that skank ?:eek:

olevetonahill
4/10/2009, 01:45 AM
Tell that Yainch " Heres the Soap ":D

Fraggle145
4/10/2009, 09:45 AM
Heh. I aint doing it with her, she is just another grad student in the lab. My yainch is coming out in the field with me today.

BudSooner
4/10/2009, 10:38 AM
Good to hear ya made it thru ok, that was a pretty bad storm and it sounds like ya ran into some good people in the process..field work sucks, believe me.

That freak snowstorm we had a couple weeks ago was bad, but there ain't nothing like getting pelted by large chunks of ice while you are trying to do your work.