PDA

View Full Version : Stillwater elects student mayor

badger
4/8/2009, 01:38 PM
Read more here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20090408_12_0_AnOkla97654), here (http://www.stillwater-newspress.com/breakingnews/local_story_097212903.html) or here. (http://ocolly.com/2009/04/08/youth-movement/)

I find it amazing that this type of thing is happening in Oklahoma. We were (the only!) 100 percent red state in the presidential election, which some may find regressive (I am a registered Republican, so I do not agree with this view), but then we elect 19-year-old OU freshmen mayor of Muskogee or 27-year-old OSU juniors mayor of Stillwater over older, more experienced incumbents/candidates.

Discuss?

OUDoc
4/8/2009, 01:42 PM
The old guard of politics suck?

tommieharris91
4/8/2009, 01:45 PM
His platform was probably "Sheep for everyone!"

SicEmBaylor
4/8/2009, 01:49 PM
I ran for State Rep when I was 22 but lost.

The old guard does indeed suck.

badger
4/8/2009, 01:55 PM
If it's an old guard thing, why did Oklahomans as a whole vote for the incumbent's party for presidency, then shun the old guard in some of these city elections?

It is quite the conundrum.

Jacie
4/8/2009, 02:55 PM
If a guy 27 is still a junior his GPA must be around 0.1 out of 4.0 . . .

SicEmBaylor
4/8/2009, 02:59 PM

Not true. I'm 26 and my cumulative GPA is 3.65

badger
4/8/2009, 03:06 PM

He's a Navy vet. Cut him a little slack ;)

Okla-homey
4/8/2009, 07:38 PM
Not true. I'm 26 and my cumulative GPA is 3.65

yeah, but they give mulligans on D's at Baylor so that doesn't really mean anything.

OU4LIFE
4/9/2009, 06:53 AM
incredibly low voter turnout, couple with the MANY transgressions leveled against McMillan and the writing was on the wall.

MrJimBeam
4/9/2009, 07:03 AM
I ran for State Rep when I was 22 but lost.

Seriously, you lost?

Ardmore_Sooner
4/9/2009, 07:42 AM
Seriously, you lost?

Thread titled "So I met this State Rep" in 3...2....1.....

Mixer!
4/9/2009, 07:57 AM
McMillian represents the city's old guard interests: the CoC, the developers, and the rental association. He also tried to remove the EMS from the fire department's control (in an argument with the firefighter's union), and was sued by three female ex-employees of the bank he worked at for sexual harrassment (later dismissed).

There's no party affiliation attached to local elections, badge.

OU4LIFE
4/9/2009, 08:29 AM
hey, they elected a college student, there WILL be a party affiliation alright....:D

OU4LIFE
4/9/2009, 08:31 AM
but seriously folks....2500 freaking people turned out to vote?

*shakes head*

BudSooner
4/9/2009, 10:13 AM
If it's an old guard thing, why did Oklahomans as a whole vote for the incumbent's party for presidency, then shun the old guard in some of these city elections?

It is quite the conundrum.
On the state level we are getting ****ed in the hind end moreso than on the federal level?

If that is even possible.

Mixer!
4/9/2009, 06:36 PM
http://www.stillwateronlineforum.com/images/voted.gif

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2009, 06:53 PM
Coupla things here:

Your terms are lacking definition. Progress towards or regression from what? Even if we take the appropriation of "progressivism" as used as a political label for various liberal causes, voting against "progress" isn't automatically regression. It could be (and I think in this case was) that the vote was for preservation of status quo (as opposed to moving towards a different status quo-witness how some McCain supporters seem to really take offense to the "change we can believe in" slogan.)

Second, I'm not sure how electing a young dude is necessarily progressive.

NYC Poke
4/9/2009, 07:07 PM
The guy's going to be a senior, which means he's going to graduate and have to find a job. Mayor is pretty much an unpaid position in Stillwater. What happens if he finds a job in a place other than Stillwater?

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2009, 07:20 PM
It's possible he's trying to parlay this into a more-respected position, like FFA president or something.

royalfan5
4/9/2009, 07:45 PM
It's possible he's trying to parlay this into a more-respected position, like FFA president or something.

He has passed by the age range in which one can hold FFA office already.

soonerboomer93
4/10/2009, 12:23 AM
way to ruin the joke

damn husker...

:D

badger
4/10/2009, 09:07 AM
He has passed by the age range in which one can hold FFA office already.

Doesn't FFA need adult supervisors, though? And as adult supervisor, don't you make the kids call you whatever you want to be called?

royalfan5: Hello, FFA minions. I am your ruler and master, King Five. My royalty and fandom reek of awesomeness, so you must refer to me only as King Five, or I will inject your precious Betsy with Mad Cow!

Stilly mayor elect: Hi, kids! You can call me FFA president!

See? It works!

royalfan5
4/10/2009, 09:16 AM
Doesn't FFA need adult supervisors, though? And as adult supervisor, don't you make the kids call you whatever you want to be called?

royalfan5: Hello, FFA minions. I am your ruler and master, King Five. My royalty and fandom reek of awesomeness, so you must refer to me only as King Five, or I will inject your precious Betsy with Mad Cow!

Stilly mayor elect: Hi, kids! You can call me FFA president!

See? It works!

All the adult stuff is behind the scenes, like the Illuminati. The President of the National FFA has to be less than three years from High School. Then they can use it as a springboard to higher office like Senator Larry Craig did.