PDA

View Full Version : The NCAA Tournament was a crock

Statalyzer
4/8/2009, 01:11 PM
This tournament crap is getting old.

If college basketball had a good system in place like college football does, we'd be set to just watch UConn play Louisville for the championship a week or two from now. If teams like Michigan State and North Carolina wanted a shot, they should have lost fewer games.

Sooner04
4/8/2009, 05:11 PM
You do know Louisville and Connecticut lost more games than North Carolina, right?

The NCAA Tournament has it right. Only in college football can you go undefeated and have no shot at winning a national title. THAT system sucks.

bri
4/8/2009, 05:17 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong, but the flip side of that is only in college basketball can you play a team running on luck and one great player in their own backyard and lose a national title to a team that had no business playing for one.

*spits*

No, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask?

tommieharris91
4/8/2009, 07:01 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong, but the flip side of that is only in college basketball can you play a team running on luck and one great player in their own backyard and lose a national title to a team that had no business playing for one.

*spits*

No, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask?

Carmelo Anthony brings up bad memories for fans of just about any Big 12 school.

Eielson
4/8/2009, 07:41 PM
I could see your argument that this tournament doesn't always crown the best team as the champion. However, using this season as an example is crazy. UNC was the clear champ this year.

There really is no right way to do this except maybe have 7 game series between the top 8 or 16 teams. I don't think many people would want that.

You can get the two best teams matched up and still not have the best team win. You get the right champion, though. A good example of this would be last year. Kansas was great and all, but I'm not sold at all that they were better than Memphis. Basketball has a much higher chance of the worse team winning than football. Oh, and you always have to worry about foul trouble (Dorsey).

Frozen Sooner
4/8/2009, 08:01 PM
This tournament crap is getting old.

If college basketball had a good system in place like college football does, we'd be set to just watch UConn play Louisville for the championship a week or two from now. If teams like Michigan State and North Carolina wanted a shot, they should have lost fewer games.

Maryland defeated both teams that played in the national championship game. Therefore, they are national champions*.

bri
4/8/2009, 08:56 PM
Carmelo Anthony brings up bad memories for fans of just about any Big 12 school.

Heh. Whippersnapper.

http://theloveofsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/danny-manning.jpg

*spit*

Sooner04
4/8/2009, 09:13 PM
Obvious foul on Harvey.

tommieharris91
4/8/2009, 09:23 PM
Heh. Whippersnapper.

http://theloveofsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/danny-manning.jpg

*spit*
According to that picture, Danny ****ing Manning played for Kansas.
Last I checked, ****ing Kansas was in the Big 8 and now the Big 12, just like OU.

badger
4/8/2009, 09:32 PM
As an option C, there's always whatever the hell college football used to do before the BCS.

bri
4/8/2009, 09:35 PM
According to that picture, Danny ****ing Manning played for Kansas.
Last I checked, ****ing Kansas was in the Big 8 and now the Big 12, just like OU.

And they were also the team in question in my post.

Punk. :D

King Crimson
4/8/2009, 09:40 PM
Obvious foul on Harvey.

in the act of shooting. Manning to the line for 2.

tommieharris91
4/8/2009, 10:20 PM
And they were also the team in question in my post.

Punk. :D

:sigh:

Melo kicked KU's asses too.

bri
4/8/2009, 11:02 PM
FOR F*CK'S SAKE, I WASN'T TAKING ABOUT GODDAMN SYRACUSE!! THERE WAS BASKETBALL PLAYED BEFORE 2003! JESUS TAP-DANCING CHRIST ON A CRACKER!!

jumperstop
4/9/2009, 12:41 AM
I may be a minority but I really don't think there should be a tourney in college football or if so limit it to four teams. It works well with basketball but I really like the bowl system, it's my favorite time of the year. Also unlike basketball where only one team finished with a win, in football 50% of teams end with a win. And so far the system has benifited OU in terms of getting to play for a title at least. so i'm not too pissed, if we were in saxet position i might change my opinion.

tommieharris91
4/9/2009, 01:04 AM
FOR F*CK'S SAKE, I WASN'T TAKING ABOUT GODDAMN SYRACUSE!! THERE WAS BASKETBALL PLAYED BEFORE 2003! JESUS TAP-DANCING CHRIST ON A CRACKER!!

I think this post needs to be repeated.

OUSKINS
4/9/2009, 06:02 AM
I'm I the only one who took the OP's post as sarcastic?

Ardmore_Sooner
4/9/2009, 07:43 AM
I'm I the only one who took the OP's post as sarcastic?

shhhhhhhhhhh......... Don't ruin the fun! ;)

TopDawg
4/9/2009, 12:00 PM
Also unlike basketball where only one team finished with a win,

Penn State begs to differ. Yeah, yeah..."Who cares about the NIT." But I guaran-dang-tee you there were lots of OU fans who cared about it when we were in it. That was one of the best crowds we've ever had at the LNC.

There were also a few more tourneys this year, right?

I mean, yeah, I get your point that more teams get to end with a win in football than in basketball, but I think it's more exciting for a middle-of-the-road school to lose in the Sweet 16 than to win the Mienecke Car Care Bowl.

royalfan5
4/9/2009, 07:48 PM
Penn State begs to differ. Yeah, yeah..."Who cares about the NIT." But I guaran-dang-tee you there were lots of OU fans who cared about it when we were in it. That was one of the best crowds we've ever had at the LNC.

There were also a few more tourneys this year, right?

I mean, yeah, I get your point that more teams get to end with a win in football than in basketball, but I think it's more exciting for a middle-of-the-road school to lose in the Sweet 16 than to win the Mienecke Car Care Bowl.
Old Dominion and Oregon State finished with a win too. And due to the Independent Scheduling alliance and the Ivy League not having a conference tourney, another 8 to 10 teams also finished their seasons on a winning note.