PDA

View Full Version : Dining in Norman/Moore

Al Gore
4/7/2009, 08:43 PM
We will be staying at the Embassy Suite this Friday. We need some dining ideas. Please remember, my daughter and wife are very spoiled and loves elegant dining. I don't really give a rat's *** where we eat dinner.

We usually stay in Bricktown. This is the first time we have stayed in Norman. We are testing it out before next season....

yermom
4/7/2009, 09:06 PM
Sweet Basil

or Van's

Al Gore
4/7/2009, 09:24 PM
Goggling them.......thanks for your help...

LilSooner
4/7/2009, 09:38 PM
Benvenutti's I think I butchered that spelling.

Lott's Bandana
4/7/2009, 10:08 PM
I agree Benvenutti would be a good choice. Norman is very casual and Benv and Legends are good non-chains.

Nice wine selections, art and good menu items.

GottaHavePride
4/7/2009, 10:11 PM
That's a good one - Victoria's is the best Italian food in town, though I wouldn't classify it so much as "elegant".

In Norman - at least to my mind - "elegant" does not go with the best restaurants in town. Tarahumara's is probably the best Mexican place in town, but Ted's looks "classier". (I won't even mention Los Dos Amigos...)

Actually, Charleston's is pretty good all around - smallish menu though, you'd be looking at steaks and other grilled sorts of items.

Personally, I'd go hit Classic 50's or Van's Pig Stand ;)

tommieharris91
4/7/2009, 11:25 PM
Legend's.

King Crimson
4/8/2009, 07:07 AM
the Diner on Main St. for breakfast. get there early and ditch the women-folk, if need be.

C&CDean
4/8/2009, 09:12 AM
Othellos.

That's right, Othellos.

Normally I wouldn't recommend them (other than for your average to above average Italian), but they've seriously improved over the past couple of years. What a lot of people don't know is that they offer a very good steak. That's right, steak at Othellos. Before you guffaw, try it.

Also to GHP - Victorias isn't Italian at all. It's a preppy pasta joint. Huge difference. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but it ain't Eyetalian.

JohnnyMack
4/8/2009, 09:15 AM
Othellos.

That's right, Othellos.

Normally I wouldn't recommend them (other than for your average to above average Italian), but they've seriously improved over the past couple of years. What a lot of people don't know is that they offer a very good steak. That's right, steak at Othellos. Before you guffaw, try it.

Also to GHP - Victorias isn't Italian at all. It's a preppy pasta joint. Huge difference. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but it ain't Eyetalian.

Man I ain't been there in a coon's age. That sounds good.

Lott's Bandana
4/8/2009, 09:31 AM
Oh I forgot:

The Vista

:P

C&CDean
4/8/2009, 09:43 AM
Man I ain't been there in a coon's age. That sounds good.

I recommend the filet or delmonico. They even serve it on a brazillion degree plate like Ruth's Chris. I wouldn't say they're as good as RC, but for about $20, you can't go wrong.

I also order something that's not on the menu. A veal & eggplant parmigiana combo. It's killer.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/8/2009, 09:45 AM
I ate at Ruth's Chris for the first time last week in Salt Lake City...pretty darn good

Boomer.....
4/8/2009, 09:47 AM
They just opened an In the Raw on campus.

Collier11
4/8/2009, 10:25 AM
If you like Mexican go to Tarahumaras in Norman, it is great, get the green sauce!

SteelClip49
4/8/2009, 11:43 AM
Barry's Chicken Ranch.......oh wait, I am still having awesome flashbacks.

Go to Louie's! If you don't think that's elegant then Bob Stoops will hunt you down and tell you otherwise!

John Kochtoston
4/8/2009, 11:45 AM
As for elegant, I'll second Benvnutti's. Really good food, as well.

Collier11
4/8/2009, 11:45 AM
and toby keith will punch you in the throat

OUstud
4/8/2009, 11:55 AM
Raising Canes. It's fast food, but it's amazing. In your case, lunch is probably better...

Taxman71
4/8/2009, 12:36 PM
Blu is good if you want good wine selection and a little different menu. Their menu in on their website if you Google it.

As said, Benvenutti's is the most elegant Italian place, Thai Basil is the most elegant asian place and Blu is probably the most elegant steak/upscale dining place. Seven47 in campus corner is real nice for the area, but would be hopping with college kids on a weekend night.

I will now avoid using the word elegant for the next 2 years.

King Crimson
4/8/2009, 12:41 PM
Blu is good if you want good wine selection and a little different menu. Their menu in on their website if you Google it.

that place is still there? i went there a couple years ago right after they opened. it was a little over the top "urban", and the food a little too cute....but i had nice meal. i was glad i wasn't picking up the check, though.

Collier11
4/8/2009, 01:05 PM
Blu sucks

Frozen Sooner
4/8/2009, 01:14 PM
They just opened an In the Raw on campus.

If its of the same quality as the one in Tulsa, I'd eat there. I was moderately impressed by the Tulsa location.

Boomer.....
4/8/2009, 01:24 PM
Blu sucks

I've only been there one time and thought it was too uppity. We only had some drinks on the patio but still had to walk through the metros sitting on the couches.

Collier11
4/8/2009, 02:22 PM
Well my main complaint is the food, im 6'2'' 230lb and there is nothing on the menu that is collier11 sized, everything is midjit portioned

Boarder
4/8/2009, 02:26 PM
If its of the same quality as the one in Tulsa, I'd eat there. I was moderately impressed by the Tulsa location.

It's not. I've yet to hear a positive word about it. That includes from me.

Frozen Sooner
4/8/2009, 02:38 PM
That's unfortunate.

yermom
4/8/2009, 02:46 PM
that place is still there? i went there a couple years ago right after they opened. it was a little over the top "urban", and the food a little too cute....but i had nice meal. i was glad i wasn't picking up the check, though.

their $2 well drinks/Coach's beer happy hour isn't bad...

Lott's Bandana
4/8/2009, 03:46 PM
Blu is a California wannabe joke.

In The Raw / Norman has a nice atmosphere. The sorority gals have adopted it and it's hard to believe it used to be the Harold's Outlet Store...at least, part of the store.

Elegant Thai? The new Pad Thai on Boyd has a great motif and accents, as well as killer food. The old one is still there and still great as well.

yermom
4/8/2009, 03:54 PM
i love Padthai, but Sweet Basil fits more with "elegant" IMO

Van's was a joke :P

not that it's bad, but "elegant" and "Van's Pig Stand" don't really go together

Benvenuti's is nice. i haven't been but once or twice, i think. i like Victoria's better, but like Dean said, it's just a pasta place, not really Italian

JLEW1818
4/8/2009, 04:05 PM
That's a good one - Victoria's is the best Italian food in town, though I wouldn't classify it so much as "elegant".

In Norman - at least to my mind - "elegant" does not go with the best restaurants in town. Tarahumara's is probably the best Mexican place in town, but Ted's looks "classier". (I won't even mention Los Dos Amigos...)

Actually, Charleston's is pretty good all around - smallish menu though, you'd be looking at steaks and other grilled sorts of items.

Personally, I'd go hit Classic 50's or Van's Pig Stand ;)

That is my boy Sam Bradford's favorite restaurant in Norman!!!!

Collier11
4/8/2009, 04:18 PM
dont be a message board name dropper ;)

Sooner98
4/8/2009, 05:28 PM

I've been to the new one on campus, and wasn't just blown away by it. I'll probably give it another chance at some point, but I think I've probably just gotten spoiled by the awesomeness that is Sushi Neko.

Al Gore
4/8/2009, 08:43 PM
Damn.....It appears you have some great choices!!! I really appreciate the info....I don't want to **** the girls off!!!

I will give you an update!!!!

Al Gore
4/8/2009, 08:54 PM
Is there a Japanese steakhouse?

LilSooner
4/8/2009, 08:56 PM
Yep Yamato's it's just eh.

yermom
4/8/2009, 10:17 PM
Sake isn't bad, but it's not Musashi's either though

JLEW1818
4/8/2009, 11:28 PM
Damn.....It appears you have some great choices!!! I really appreciate the info....I don't want to **** the girls off!!!

I will give you an update!!!!

If you go to Victoria's you have a chance at seeing Sam there... just saying

tommieharris91
4/8/2009, 11:43 PM
If you go to Victoria's you have a chance at seeing Sam there... just saying

Doubt it.

Sooner98
4/9/2009, 12:34 PM
Sake isn't bad, but it's not Musashi's either though

I thought Sake was closed....at least it was the last time I tried to go there for lunch. Maybe they're just not open for lunch anymore?

yermom
4/9/2009, 01:20 PM
i was there in December for dinner. haven't been by since. never had lunch there though

Al Gore
4/9/2009, 05:56 PM
Nobody can agree......I want Dole's opinion.....

yermom
4/11/2009, 11:01 PM
well?

Boarder
4/17/2009, 09:13 PM
Othellos.

That's right, Othellos.

Since I had not eaten there in forever, I decided to take Dean's advice and try Othello's again. I got a 10oz center cut sirloin with a side of spaghetti, medium rare. It was cooked perfect and was one of the best steaks I have had in a while. Definitely the best I've had in Norman. Extremely tender, nice sear, excellent. Plus, the relaxed atmosphere is so much different from the "eat an get out" mentality on Ed Noble Parkway. As a bonus, Dylan Hammett was playing (she's Larry Hammett's daughter for any of you OU music people). It was a nice dinner.

Victorias is not Italian but is still my favorite Norman restaurant. Othello's has raised itself considerably, though. Thanks, Dean

Lott's Bandana
4/18/2009, 01:05 AM
Since I had not eaten there in forever, I decided to take Dean's advice and try Othello's again. I got a 10oz center cut sirloin with a side of spaghetti, medium rare. It was cooked perfect and was one of the best steaks I have had in a while. Definitely the best I've had in Norman. Extremely tender, nice sear, excellent. Plus, the relaxed atmosphere is so much different from the "eat an get out" mentality on Ed Noble Parkway. As a bonus, Dylan Hammett was playing (she's Larry Hammett's daughter for any of you OU music people). It was a nice dinner.

Victorias is not Italian but is still my favorite Norman restaurant. Othello's has raised itself considerably, though. Thanks, Dean

Eastside > Westside

C&CDean
4/20/2009, 08:46 AM

I went in Friday night. Had the veal/eggplant combo that's not on the menu. It was top drawer. The veal was very thin sliced, a little peppery, and I cut the whole thing with a fork. Side of steamed veggies (perfectly steamed - tender yet crunchy) and the tiramisu for dessert. We've been going there more and more often, and they've been very consistently good.

Sooner04
4/20/2009, 09:09 AM
As a bonus, Dylan Hammett was playing (she's Larry Hammett's daughter for any of you OU music people).
And my cousin too.

:)

picasso
4/20/2009, 09:20 AM
I love Othello's. Great food and atmosphere.

Hey, how can Switzer be wrong?

Taxman71
4/20/2009, 09:24 AM
Didn't the chef that was Switzer's pal open Patsy's on Lindsey and spend all of time over there?

C&CDean
4/20/2009, 10:56 AM
Didn't the chef that was Switzer's pal open Patsy's on Lindsey and spend all of time over there?

Yes, Patsy left the place to I believe his daughter and son-in-law. They ****ed it all up. It's now managed by a different group, and this group has improved it - to a level that rivals, or even exceeds Patsy's.

StoopTroup
4/20/2009, 11:37 AM
I went in Friday night. Had the veal/eggplant combo that's not on the menu. It was top drawer. The veal was very thin sliced, a little peppery, and I cut the whole thing with a fork. Side of steamed veggies (perfectly steamed - tender yet crunchy) and the tiramisu for dessert. We've been going there more and more often, and they've been very consistently good.

Doesn't sound like a very manly dinner.

I'm just sayin' :D

C&CDean
4/20/2009, 01:19 PM
Dude, what's not manly about eating baby cow and a bunch of veggies most people won't touch?

Now if I said "the quiche was divine and the truffles were to die for" then you'd have a point.

Lott's Bandana
4/20/2009, 01:23 PM
I had dinner with The King again last night. Second time this year.

Tarahumaras.

I joked with him about Kathy building a house across the street from him on Timberdell. "Gotta get closer to Daddy?".

She already lives on Whispering Pines, about 3 blocks away...