PDA

View Full Version : UT coaches get bonuses tied to Big 12 championship

sooner n houston
4/7/2009, 06:38 AM
Even though tiebreaker went to Oklahoma, Brown's assistants will share extra $44,000.
By Suzanne Halliburton

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

The University of Texas didn't win the Big 12 football championship last fall, but that hasn't stopped a dozen assistant coaches and support staffers from receiving bonuses as if the Longhorns did.

Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds received permission from UT President William Powers Jr. and the university's men's athletic council to pay $44,000 in bonuses that are called for when the football team wins a conference title.

"I think this was the right decision," Powers said Monday.

Dodds called the circumstances of the bonuses unusual.

The Longhorns missed out on playing for the conference championship after losing a never-before-used tiebreaker to Oklahoma.

Full article here: http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/04/07//0407champs.html

sooner n houston
4/7/2009, 06:39 AM
Be sure and read the comments - golden!

olevetonahill
4/7/2009, 06:53 AM
Linky No worky :confused:

Dio
4/7/2009, 07:09 AM
Fittingly, you have to take the asterisks out of the link to make it work.

olevetonahill
4/7/2009, 07:11 AM
Fittingly, you have to take the asterisks out of the link to make it work.

Thanks
I aint had Me Coffee yet :O

CincySooner
4/7/2009, 07:24 AM
amazing... simply amazing.

If I were Mizzou I'd be pissed.

auto
4/7/2009, 07:26 AM
Pretty sad. Sounds like the Obama plan.

OUDoc
4/7/2009, 07:44 AM
I'm also amazed that they made the assumption that they would win again. They didn't get bonuses for "winning" the division title, but the whole damn conference title.
A fool and his money...

badger
4/7/2009, 07:53 AM
I realize how close they came to winning it, but do they also realize how close they came to NOT winning it?

All OU had to do was lose. Sooners lose to Tech, Tech wins the championship, even if Tech goes on to lose to Baylor. Sooners lose to OSU @ Stillwater even after beating Tech, Tech still wins the championship by beating Baylor.

While I like winning Bob Stoops' latest candy bowl, we could have easily dropped either game and then Tech would have had the championship, who gives a d@mn that it came down to a last second play, they still beat wh0rns. We all saw their student section scramble to the field like little black ants... several times. We all saw the catch and Mack's face afterward. Loss for you! Win for Tech!

Since OU wins... somehow UT wins the championship... right... next year, I say we go by the Leach formula - go with graduation rates as the tiebreaker! Gawd, I love Mikey :D

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2009, 10:13 AM
Talk about terrible timing, following on the heels of the asterisk project.

I agree that Mizzou should be really upset about this. It takes uber-arrogance to assume officially that UT would have, with absolute certainty, beaten Mizzou.

yermom
4/7/2009, 10:28 AM
the hits keep on coming

the Texass game is going to be brutal this year

badger
4/7/2009, 10:35 AM
Remember when we won 2007 (sans asterisk)? Before that game, Mizzou was talking up how our first game with them was a fluke and that they were going to prove that they were better... tee hee. :D

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2009, 10:46 AM
You would think that UT would have the emotional edge, but now I am not so sure.

rainiersooner
4/7/2009, 11:03 AM
Pretty sad. Sounds like the Obama plan.

I hate Democrats and Liberals too. In fact, every time I read about college football, I think to myself - there go those darn Democrats and Liberals. Michael Crabtree catching a game winning touchdown? Pelosi! OU gashing Mizzou in the real Big XII Championship? Obama! The Red River Shootout? Timothy Geithner! Save it for the south oval, son.

batonrougesooner
4/7/2009, 11:07 AM
It just keeps getting better.

Next I bet they quit giving out grades. Everybody get's a sticker or smiley face on their spelling homework.:texan:

Funky G
4/7/2009, 11:20 AM
Their constant whining, crying, and denial of the Tech loss will come back to bite them. Their fan base and program is delusional.

badger
4/7/2009, 11:41 AM
It just keeps getting better.

Next I bet they quit giving out grades. Everybody get's a sticker or smiley face on their spelling homework.:texan:

This just in - Mack Daddy is now issuing Texas players helmet stickers! Guess what shape he went with. ;)

meoveryouxinfinity
4/7/2009, 12:04 PM
this whole thing is really embarrassing for Texas. I feel bad for them.

kangsta
4/7/2009, 12:09 PM
Congress should tax their bonuses 90%.

But seriously, i'm a horn fan and i think this whole thing is really stupid. But i have enjoyed reading texags this week. They have some hilairous threads about it

badger
4/7/2009, 12:25 PM
Poor texags... they can be quite fun when they have their higher expectations crushed, but now that even the most hardcore ol' army redarsed ones are dumping overpriced season tix and complaining about ticket prices to the Arky game, it hasn't been the same.

In the Big 12 South race for football dominance, they may even rank behind Baylor this year... A&M at the bottom of the south? They might be the first former Big 12 champ to accomplish such a feat :D

cheezyq
4/7/2009, 01:39 PM
I like how the one guy points to the head-to-head record as a "scoreboard" over OU.

#1 - Taking into account that the game is always played IN TEXAS, and the home records of each team, PLUS the overall records of each team...that record evens out if it were home/home or a truly neutral site. In fact, since 1945, that number would seriously favor OU, as most of UT's W's in the rivalry came EARLY in the rivalry.
#2 - Number of championships = biggest scoreboard of all. Heck, UT hasn't even been involved in as many national championship games as OU has been awarded national championships.

Lesson? Numbers sometimes lie, but never as much as a Texas fan (bring on the asterisks, baby!).

badger
4/7/2009, 02:13 PM
cheezy, please. we all know that the hornz have as many, if not more, championships as/than OU. The years just haven't been hammered to the wall yet because of the asterisk shortage during these harsh and uncertain economic times.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2009, 05:11 PM
cheezy, I give your post an A*.

rainiersooner
4/7/2009, 07:51 PM
We should start a collection to hire someone to fly a banner with a big * around the Cotton Bowl in October. That would be priceless.

kangsta
4/7/2009, 10:38 PM
I like how the one guy points to the head-to-head record as a "scoreboard" over OU.

#1 - Taking into account that the game is always played IN **Texas**, and the home records of each team, PLUS the overall records of each team...that record evens out if it were home/home or a truly neutral site. In fact, since 1945, that number would seriously favor OU, as most of UT's W's in the rivalry came EARLY in the rivalry.

I think i've heard this type of argument before. Oh yeah, on Texags. Except their excuse is that they didn't let in women until 1975 or something.

MyT Oklahoma
4/8/2009, 12:05 AM
the hits keep on coming

the *Texas*s game is going to be brutal this year

True but then Texas will still suck afterwards no matter who wins it.

ouflak
4/8/2009, 06:33 AM
I wonder if they would have gotten the bonus if they had made it into the championship game but lost to Missouri?

MrJimBeam
4/8/2009, 07:17 AM
The puzzification of Texas football is nearly complete. The awarding of championships not won. The paying of bonuses for plans not met. I would worry this takes a competitive edge from Texas. If at the end of the season you know you'll earn a banner or a bonus without actually winning anything what's the motivation to try harder?

tomtom
4/8/2009, 08:28 AM
44,000 dollars to share for 12 people sounds very small for a Big 12
championship. Oh yeah thats for a asterisk championship.
Someone please post picture of * TROPHY, I dont know what they
look like, maybe like OSU's moral victory trophy for playing texas a
close game.

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2009, 09:58 AM
I wonder if they would have gotten the bonus if they had made it into the championship game but lost to Missouri?

According to the Asterisk Theory, that could not have possibly happened.

rainiersooner
4/8/2009, 11:29 AM
According to the Asterisk Theory, that could not have possibly happened.

Ha ha - Asterisk Theory! I love it. We need a shirt!

Jacie
4/10/2009, 09:37 AM
With at least four threads on the topic (I have posted in two of em) I think this comment from a non-partisan source, Olin Buchanan's weekly mailbag, is relevant . . .

Going south

From Mike in Dallas: Do you believe this season's Oklahoma-Texas game will find the media a little more tilted toward Texas, sympathy-wise, because of what happened last season? Certainly, if the situation were reversed, I don't think Texas would be apologizing for anything. Neither should OU.

The Big 12 South race finished in a three-way tie with OU, Texas and Texas Tech, but OU advanced because of a Big 12 rule that uses the BCS standings to break a tie. Personally, I felt Texas should have been the team in the Big 12 title game last season and might have felt some sympathy then. But that's over and it doesn't carry into the next season.

Oklahoma benefited from a league rule, and Texas fans should accept that without complaint. There has been some discussion in the Big 12 about possibly changing the tiebreaker rule. Some conferences break a three-way tie by dropping the lowest-rated team in the BCS standings, then comparing the head-to-head result of the remaining teams. To me, that's a better system.

Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are potential preseason top-10 teams. Oklahoma State plays host to Texas, but travels to OU. The potential for another three-way tie exists.

Maybe some BCS voters would cast favorable ballots for Texas because of last season, but that might be unfair to Oklahoma State (or whatever team might be involved in a three-way tie). I believe most would not. Besides, the computer element of the BCS won't factor that in.

Every team in the conference will know the tiebreaker procedure (whatever it may be) going into the season. There should be no griping later. But hopefully the Big 12 South race – or any race, for that matter – won't come down to tiebreakers.

kangsta
4/10/2009, 09:49 AM
i don't think i could handle another three-way tie this season

Leroy Lizard
4/10/2009, 01:05 PM
Some conferences break a three-way tie by dropping the lowest-rated team in the BCS standings, then comparing the head-to-head result of the remaining teams. To me, that's a better system.

It amazes me that so many conferences and fans don't see the obvious problem with this system. If a team beats the holy tar out of another, they can drive their opponent so far down in the rankings that they end up with a head-to-head argument with the wrong team.

If OU barely beats Tech, instead of trouncing it, then Tech might stay above UT and OU could win the head-to-head. So OU gets penalized for winning too well.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

There is a better way: Reward the team that has allowed the fewest points in division games. This way you are in complete control of your destiny. There is also no point in running up the score. (Actually, this rule would diminish running up the score, because you don't want to give the ball back to the other team too often.) It is also precise, irrefutable, and the rule is known well ahead of time. If you don't like the results, get a better defense.

But instead we will end up with something completely stupid.

badger
4/10/2009, 01:21 PM
I don't care if OU beating Tech by less would have ended this never ending debate. That @$$ kicking of Tech was one of the most fun games at Owen Field since the rain dance of 2002 versus UTEP.

And consider this: If the rain dance brought us Anthony Kim, imagine what OU fans jumping around while Graham and Mikey look sour at national television cameras will do for Oklahoma!

yermom
4/10/2009, 02:09 PM
that 02 UTEP game was great. especially after how brutal the Alabama game was

but the Tech game might have been the most fun i've had at Owen Field