PDA

View Full Version : "Sooner (alleged) Magic."

LoyalFan
4/6/2009, 08:33 PM
Sherri. Jeff, and Bob...the Choke Triplets...Discuss (While I don body armor and seek cover.)
Seriously, good folk, it seems that since 2000 the Sooner "headliners"; Football, both-gender B'ball, etc, have achieved nothing more than "almost" status.
It's one thing if the opposing team is more talented, bigger, faster...wot-tever, but when a Sooner team blows a 14-point 1/2-time lead over an out-(wo)manned coven of Looey-Looey-ville beyotches and thereafter resembles the Rosie O'Donnell All-Star Team (See: Obese and can't even tip one in more than now-and-then. Yes; That's would be YEW, Miss P.) I am prone to accept the forecast that states that the major Sooner sports teams will ever be, in future, runners-up.
Dizzzzzklaymer: The foregoing does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of those whom are commonly found on this forum or on other forums related thereto.
Well, after SEVEN Maker's Marks, one 'Tini, and some bar food (6 peanuts and one small shrimp done over a hibachi,) there should be no doubt, gentle readers, of the veracity of my assertions.
Now, shouldst thou be willing to excuse me, I'm off to gather my cats into an under-the-quilt "warmer" and thus drift into the arms of Morpheus.

Boomer Sooner to all and to all a good ni...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

LF

E-Town
4/6/2009, 08:41 PM
?

GottaHavePride
4/6/2009, 08:58 PM
One could argue that both genders of basketball here have never had more than "almost" status since 1900. Reference: 1988. You don't get more "almost" than that.

Sure, Barry won two titles back-to-back. It took him another decade to win another one. Sure, we've lost some BCS championship games, but at least we've been in them. I'd rather have a coach that gives us a chance to play for it all than one who doesn't.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/6/2009, 08:59 PM
Sherri. Jeff, and Bob...the Choke Triplets...Discuss (While I don body armor and seek cover.)
Seriously, good folk, it seems that since 2000 the Sooner "headliners"; Football, both-gender B'ball, etc, have achieved nothing more than "almost" status.
It's one thing if the opposing team is more talented, bigger, faster...wot-tever, but when a Sooner team blows a 14-point 1/2-time lead over an out-(wo)manned coven of Looey-Looey-ville beyotches and thereafter resembles the Rosie O'Donnell All-Star Team (See: Obese and can't even tip one in more than now-and-then. Yes; That's would be YEW, Miss P.) I am prone to accept the forecast that states that the major Sooner sports teams will ever be, in future, runners-up.
Dizzzzzklaymer: The foregoing does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of those whom are commonly found on this forum or on other forums related thereto.
Well, after SEVEN Maker's Marks, one 'Tini, and some bar food (6 peanuts and one small shrimp done over a hibachi,) there should be no doubt, gentle readers, of the veracity of my assertions.
Now, shouldst thou be willing to excuse me, I'm off to gather my cats into an under-the-quilt "warmer" and thus drift into the arms of Morpheus.

LF

:eek:

soonerfan28
4/6/2009, 09:05 PM
One could argue that both genders of basketball here have never had more than "almost" status since 1900. Reference: 1988. You don't get more "almost" than that.

Sure, Barry won two titles back-to-back. It took him another decade to win another one. Sure, we've lost some BCS championship games, but at least we've been in them. I'd rather have a coach that gives us a chance to play for it all than one who doesn't.

Lets just invite Blake and Smellaburger back and then we can just complain because we suck. I guess people would rather suck then have a chance to play for the title and actually lose a few times.

badger
4/6/2009, 09:17 PM
While I am disappointed that we have come up short on a few national championship drives, after today, all I have to say in response is this:

If conference championships were really that meaningless, then Texas putting up a phony one with an asterisk next to it wouldn't be as funny.

walkoffsooner
4/6/2009, 09:30 PM
THE WORM WILL TURN !

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2009, 09:36 PM
The "almost" argument applies more to football than basketball. We should have a better bowl record than we do.

In basketball, we are going to be either "almost" or "not a chance" every year, because only one team out of 300 can finish out with a win. What is OU supposed to do every year? This is not a basketball school for the most part.

DMAFB_Sooner08
4/6/2009, 10:17 PM
Lets just invite Blake and Smellaburger back and then we can just complain because we suck. I guess people would rather suck then have a chance to play for the title and actually lose a few times.

yeah and bring back kelvin as well...he ran a good clean program!!

On the real though, it is a lot of heartbreak, I can only imagine how hard it is to win championships, and I would much rather be the blunt of the choke jokes than just a joke

bluedogok
4/6/2009, 10:18 PM
Hey, let's go ahead and kill the women's basketball program because they can't win it all, after all, the administration already killed it once.....morans.

Collier11
4/6/2009, 10:29 PM
"almost" status could be given to almost any team in bball or football considering it is rare that any one team win more than 1 natl title in a decade. We have had some tough losses sure, we have lost some games where we were the better team, but name me a program that hasnt? Would you rather be 3-0 in bcs games like mack with one natl title appearance or 2-5 like Bob but you have been to the natl title game 4 times in 10 years. No one else has even been more than twice in the last decade and weve been 4 times, think about it.

Look at Bobs 3 natl title game losses

That one game- we fell apart, bad all around
Sugar Bowl- our heisman qb is hurt, we have no big time running back, we play like crap, and still should have won or atleast had a shot to win at the end
Last year- our "best o-line in the nation" misses key blocks on the goal line or we go into half time 21-7 or 24-7 up and possibly run away with the game. We miss those blocks, the game still comes down to a great interception by florida and a 15 play drive by teboner

Obviously I want more titles but I feel pretty good about the state of OU sports

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/6/2009, 10:32 PM
the funny part is that, based on talent, we had no business winning the MNC in 2000. until college adopts a "best of" format for the final game, the most talented team is never guaranteed a win. heck, look at gary ward at pokey state. that guy was in the college world series how many times?

stoopified
4/6/2009, 10:48 PM
Bring back Dave Bliss. :D

ouwasp
4/6/2009, 11:12 PM
I suppose the original poster should find another program to be loyal to? <shrug>

OUstud
4/7/2009, 01:19 AM
How many schools are considered rich in football tradition? Off the top of my head...OU, ND, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, to name a few. How many can win the (real) national title per year? One.

How many schools are considered rich in basketball tradition? Off the top of my head...UNC, Duke, UCLA, Kentucky, to name a few. How many can win the national title per year? One.

My point is, with the exception of UCLA basketball in the late 60s/early 70s, every team no matter how rich in tradition is going to have way more "almost years" than championship years. No true fan should expect their team to win the title every single year. The fact that we were national contenders in both major sports makes me proud to be an OU fan and student...

...that said, I think 2009 would look nice on the press box. :D

OU_Sooners75
4/7/2009, 02:54 AM
I suppose the original poster should find another program to be loyal to? <shrug>

Why, because he is upset at how we performed against:

Florida (football): we execute on two plays, half time score would have been 21-7. Instead, we gave all momentum to Florida for the second half.

North Carolina (Men's BBall): Though UNC is a damn good team, had we hit just 32% of our 3's we would have tied the game. If we would have been able to hit a couple more free throws...we win that game.

Louisville (Wimmen's BBall): Had Hand hit one of her missed 3s in the second half, we would have won. Had Robinson taken at least 1 more open shot instead of making the extra pass, we would have tied. Had we made just 3 more free throws, we would have won by 1 point.

Yeah...very disappointing and very much almost!

And I do tend agree with him on one thing....C Paris was way too far out of shape! It was almost an embarassment that such a great talented player cannot have more control over herself!

cheezyq
4/7/2009, 09:07 AM
...that said, I think 2009 would look nice on the press box. :D

...only if it comes without an *. ;)

soonerfan28
4/7/2009, 09:21 AM
Lets take a look at the King. He coached for 15 years and won 3 titles. That's one every 5 years. Bob has been to 4 in 10 years and two of the 3 that didn't go our way could have been a different story if a handful of plays went differently.

The coaches we had in the mid 90's took us to 0 bowls and I guess it's ok to never go to one as opposed to actually going to a good bowl and playing a team that had also had a good season. It's not like we're playing some team that went 6-6. We play teams that have maybe 2 losses on the season.

soonervegas
4/7/2009, 09:45 AM
20 years from now we will be talking about the "good old days" of 2000-2009

MI Sooner
4/7/2009, 11:23 AM
Anyone arguing that we tie UNC if we had just hit four more threes wasn't watching the same game I was.

If we were going to win that game, we would've needed at least 20 more points. UNC cruised that whole game.

Just like last night against MSU. UNC gets a big lead and then coasts to the finish. When someone gets it back to a moderate margin, they go on another run.

Collier11
4/7/2009, 11:42 AM
true, I think the point was that if we had shot better in the 1st half (0-13) I believe from three, we would have had a shot in the 2nd half

8timechamps
4/7/2009, 11:50 AM
One has nothing to do with the other. Nor does the sucess of the men's program have anything to do with the women's program.

I'll take an Elite 8, Final 4 and BCS title game appearance anyday. Cause I'm crazy like that.

Collier11
4/7/2009, 12:27 PM
anyone who wouldnt is not much of a fan

Eielson
4/7/2009, 05:16 PM
How has Capel ever earned the reputation as a choker? He lost to higher seeded teams both years in the NCAA tournament.

MichiganSooner
4/7/2009, 07:41 PM
National championship in football 2000. National Runnerup in football in 2003, 2004, 2008. WOW!!
Women's basketball National RunnerUp in 2002, Final Four 2009. Four time All American. WOW!!
Mens Basketball Elite Eight 2009. Basketball Player of the Year, Football Player of the Year in the same year to go with that 4 time All American from the women's team? WOW!
It doesn't get much better than that in the real world!!! I'm am so proud to be a Sooner.

boomerinhou
4/7/2009, 07:44 PM
Most any college program would certainly like to be in our shoes right now.

No other college program has the high-level of consistency in men's and women's college sports during the past few years, and especially this year. Period.

To get to the national championship in football, the elite eight in men's basketball and the final four in women's basketball...all in the same year...is a pretty decent accomplishmnet, I'd say.

To have the heisman trophy winner in football (Sam Bradford), Naismith winner in men's basketball (Blake Griffin) and a four-time All-American (to date) winner in women's basketball (Courtney Paris)...all in the same year...is also a pretty decent accomplishment too.

And that's just three sports.

It may not be 100% "Sooner Magic"...but I'll take it.

Boomer Sooner!!!!

Eielson
4/7/2009, 09:03 PM
Don't forget our stud gymnast!

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2009, 10:05 AM
The real choke queen is Texas. Every year, they seem to find some way to not win the conference title, no matter how good they are.

Sometimes, they lose the last two games of the season.
Sometimes, they lose tiebreakers.
Sometimes, they simply lose to OU.

Imagine only two Big XII titles, with only one coming in the last ten years.

And they have the nerve to comment on our bowl losses.

badger
4/8/2009, 10:10 AM
How has Capel ever earned the reputation as a choker? He lost to higher seeded teams both years in the NCAA tournament.

DUH! Because all of his seasons thus far have ended in LOSSES! DUH! ;)

OUstud
4/8/2009, 11:58 AM
The real choke queen is *Texas*. Every year, they seem to find some way to not win the conference title, no matter how good they are.

Sometimes, they lose the last two games of the season.
Sometimes, they lose tiebreakers.
Sometimes, they simply lose to OU.

Imagine only two Big XII titles, with only one coming in the last ten years.

And they have the nerve to comment on our bowl losses.

This.

picasso
4/8/2009, 12:12 PM

LF
a ****eload better than the rest of the conference. including that juggernaut Nebraska.

Statalyzer
4/8/2009, 01:24 PM
Sherri. Jeff, and Bob...the Choke Triplets...Discuss

Bob maybe, but he's done so much good for the program I think he deserves some mulligans. It's also not his fault that every time OU is in a controversy for a MNC/BCS spot, they get the nod, resulting in tougher opposition than otherwise. I mean, I'm sure he'd rather play for a chance at a title, but if the computers had picked USC, and picked Auburn, and picked Texas or Utah, chances are OU wins a couple of those bowl games. And losing a close game to an equally-good team (LSU 2003, Texas 2006, BSU 2006, Texas 2008, Florida 2008) isn't really a choke.

Jeff definitely not. This OU team could have been like many other teams in history that have one dominant player but never achieve much as a team. Heck, look at Texas with Kevin Durant or KSU with Michael Beasley the past two years. Now, that Texas team was insanely young and that KSU team didn't have as much talent at this year's Sooner team, but it's not like OU's level of "talent that surrounds the transcendent guy" was way ahead of either team. And then they got knocked out by the eventual National Champion. Capel is a very good coach, IMO.

Sherri definitely. Not only did have a player on her team who has a physical advantage that nobody else in college M/W basketball or football has had in a long time, but a couple of years ago she had the perfect compliment to a post player whose size makes her nearly unguardable in a bunch of deadly spot-up shooters and still got upset early. One final four and no MNCs with what she's had the past 4 years isn't that impressive, and her team never look disciplined. Specifically I notice a lot of poor passes and lazy fouls.

Collier11
4/8/2009, 02:24 PM
I would disagree about Sherri even with Courtney had they made atleast one other Elite 8. To have a player the stature of Courtney Paris and only make it to one elite 8 and one final four is pretty sad.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/8/2009, 02:56 PM
In The girls, NO ONE was going to beat UCONN. You don't beat EVERY team you played by at least 10 points and not have some HUGE advantage