PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Baseball

Sooner74
4/6/2009, 03:25 PM
I feel really good about this team. Other than minor blips in pitching here and there, we are proving to be a legitimate contender this year in the Big 12. Granted we have a few games in conference against not so easy competition left. I think our hitting is awesome. Clutch hitting is coming through, and we have some solid defensive players. We are getting back some pitchers from injury and I feel that is the boost this team nees to be really good.

We have shown that we can come from behind, blow teams out, and have pitching duels. I am quite impressed and feel a different energy from the team this year.

Can we continue this successful trend and do you believe the addition of Porlier and the other injured pitchers can bring us to a heighted level of sucess?

soonerguild
4/6/2009, 04:59 PM
Well I to am uber excited about this team. I have always believed that in the big leagues pitching wins championships, but in college with aluminum bats, I think hitting is more important. Now that is meant to under value a good pitching staff, but I thing it is huge that our offense is so good 1-9 this year. With Doyle going on friday, we have an ace that can go up against anybody else's ace in the country, which is huge. With Duke closing them out we have someone who consistantly slams the door shut.

This is the best baseball team we have field since I can remember. The key is to keep winning series. It would have been nice to sweep mizzou, but 2 0f 3 on the road is always good. Really would be huge if we could sweep tech at home. I think if there is one thing we have learned so far from conference play is that this is the most wide open the big 12 has been in a long time. I definately think we can keep this going, just need to keep executing.

I also agree that getting some of our pitchers back healthy could be what puts us into series CWS talk. That however is a long way away.

Honestly though, not to sound like an aggie, but I'll be content if we can take 2 of 3 from the whorns and the cowgirls, we haven't won a series against either in a while, and I can't stand losing to them anymore.

Sooner74
4/6/2009, 08:09 PM
I can't stand losing at all, that is how I am. I like our team, but keep sensing that we haven't completely made good on our talent. I think we are capable of taking a sweep from teams like mizzou and it has been really frusterating not getting over that hump.

jadubya
4/9/2009, 02:34 PM
My 2 cents on the current state of this team:

Offensively:

Outstanding thus far. We really need Baker to turn into a beast from here on out simply because he has so many RBI opportunities. I am concerned with our propensity to strike out at times. Hernandez is nails at the plate.

Defensively:

As good as Hernandez is at the plate, he gives me heartburn everytime a ground ball is headed his direction. I believe he is somewhat of a defensive liability. Honestly, his defense is my biggest concern with this team since our staff can get alot of ground balls. Errors in close games against good teams get you beat (Mizzou game 3). Harughty & Boosh are nails. Baker falls somewhere between the Hernandez/Boosh comfort level. Wise is killing baserunners and our outfield is strong.

Pitching: Doyle is a given.

Several concerns with this staff -

Can Porlier return to form? If so, we have a legit 1-2 combo that rivals any in the league. Even if we only get 5 innings of work from him during a start....that is HUGE. I am not sold thus far on JT Robinson as a starter...even though he had a great performance against NU.

Can Hubbard return to form? It looks like it, his defense gave away the Mizzou sunday game/series sweep -- from all accounts he pitched very well. If he continues to perform as he did pre injury, our w/end starting rotation is formidable.

Is it possible for Garrett (jekyll/hyde) Richards to string consecutive good starts together? He is an enigma! All American vs Ucla/Shockers.....and then gets shelled by the Autry Vo Tech team. When he is ON....he is as good a pitcher as we have on staff.....all depends on his slider.

Can Chase Anderson get that "edge" back that he had toward the end of last year? He has had a few rough spots thus far.....but I feel pretty good with him on the mound.

Duke has been good.

Rocha/Blue/Erben/Robinson/Seng.....if they can eat some innings up and not give up the "BIG" inning......which has been their problem in several outings this year/last year.......we will be very, very, very strong from the mound.

Lots of "if's".....but I like the way it is shaping up thus far. This coaching staff does not get enough credit for the job they did with this team.....AND last years team. The talent level has gone up exponentially between 08 and 09.