PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to a very special person

Chuck Bao
4/6/2009, 11:57 AM
My grandma passed away at 7am Oklahoma time.

She was 98 and she had full and very wonderful life.

She was born in the great state of Oklahoma in 1910.

My sister said during my last visit to the US that everyone always treated grandma as a princess throughout her entire life. I think that was true. She was a princess. But, she was never haughty or precocious. Everybody knew Myrtle and Myrtle knew everyone. And if she didn’t know you, she’d ask. That personal touch somehow seemed as if it were her prerogative, as Princess Myrtle.

She didn’t stand even five foot tall. She’d sit on a pillow in that sky blue Ford Falcon so she could see over the steering wheel. She taught me how to drive in the hay meadow in that car when I was no more than 12. I also sat on that driver’s seat pillow.

I remember shopping trips to Ardmore and the usual stopping by a grocery store on the way home to buy bread and baloney for a picnic lunch.

Our favorite TV show was “Let’s Make a Deal” and we’d try to guess the door with the best prizes.

Grandma has often told the story of riding in the back of a wagon on the Santa Fe Trail as a little girl and being frightened by the celebratory gunfire in a wagon lot in New Mexico at the end of WWI.

She went to school by horseback in the Yellow Hills (Durwood) between Madill and Ardmore.

Myrtle was no saint. She would tell of playing tug-of-war with the Indian kids. The white kids had a code word; and when someone said it, the white kids would drop the rope and watch the Indian kids fall down.

She graduated from Dickson High School, class of 1928. She briefly attended the teachers’ college in Durant that became Southeastern. She was so proud that my mom, my sister and I all graduated from Southeastern.

She married a handsome farm boy and became a housewife. They faced tough times during the Dust Bowl years. Through hard work and determination, they kept their farm and added to it in the subsequent years.

I’ve heard people say that Grandma was the brains of the family. I never quite got that impression, although Granddad was certainly the brawn. Grandma always deferred to Granddad and I never, ever heard one cross word between them.

I think much later Grandma was referred to as the Little General. She would often say: “We are going to make a deal and this is the way it’s going to be.”

Grandma essentially raised me since my mom was getting her undergraduate and graduate degrees while I was a young kid. When I told her I was moving to Asia, she said that it is my life and I am going to have live it, so make it good.

She wrote me a letter every single day for the first 12 years I was in Asia. I still have all those letters and they are my most cherished possession.

Myrtle could have excelled at anything, given different times and circumstances. As fate would have it, she was a farmer’s wife, a mom and grandma. And, there is no doubt that she certainly excelled at that.

RIP Grandma Myrtle. I love you.

StoopTroup
4/6/2009, 12:03 PM
Sorry for your loss Chuck.

Very nice read too.

ST

texas bandman
4/6/2009, 12:03 PM
Great story about a great lady. My condolences to you and your family!

OUDoc
4/6/2009, 12:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your grandma, Chuck.

Boomer.....
4/6/2009, 12:22 PM
Sorry for your loss, Chuck.

King Crimson
4/6/2009, 12:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Chuck.

A Sooner in Texas
4/6/2009, 12:26 PM
What an amazing life she had; a true treasure of Oklahoma. Thanks for sharing that, Chuck, and many condolences on your loss...but she will always be with you.

olevetonahill
4/6/2009, 04:40 PM
Ditto

Jerk
4/6/2009, 05:34 PM
Sorry to here that, Chuck.

At least she lived a very long time.

royalfan5
4/6/2009, 05:58 PM
My condolences.

OhU1
4/6/2009, 06:34 PM
Sorry for your loss. My grandma died at age 98 too (in 2002). We were very close and it was hard to lose her. Thanks for sharing your grandmother's story and the great life she lived.

OUHOMER
4/6/2009, 07:44 PM
Sorry to hear that Chuck, sounds like a very special lady

soonerboomer93
4/6/2009, 11:15 PM
Sorry about your loss, it sounds like she was psecial to you, and did get to live a long, full life.

Tailwind
4/7/2009, 11:54 PM
Wow, your Grandma had a good long run, and obviously made an impact on many lives during her years. Sounds like someone I would loved to have known. May she rest easy. Hugs to you Chuck.

SCOUT
4/8/2009, 12:18 AM
I lost my Grandfather at the age of 97. There were some who dismissed it because I should have expected it and it shouldn't have been a big deal. Chuck, I understand your grief because the extended years only extended the bond that we had together which made his passing that much more difficult. You have told a great story in tribute of her life and it sounds like you, and others, are better because of her presence. Be glad for the time but don't try to dismiss the grief. It is real and it is certainly warranted.