PDA

View Full Version : Griffin takes Naismith.

Bosley
4/5/2009, 11:19 PM
I'm not surprised at the missing thread since this happened several hours ago and he's not a football player.

The college basketball equivalent of the Heisman, no big. Texas claiming the big 12 football championship clearly is more important.

Anyway, mini rant over.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040509aaa.html

Congrats Blake, keep the hardware coming.

yermom
4/5/2009, 11:53 PM
i think lots of people thought this was the same as the AP POY

but who else was gonna win? ;)

tommieharris91
4/6/2009, 12:01 AM
A. They don't have an hour-long show to hype up the award.
B. The women's team played tonight, and lost. It was a pretty painful loss, too.

Curly Bill
4/6/2009, 12:03 AM
C. It was a foregone conclusion.

JLEW1818
4/6/2009, 12:05 AM
There's Only One Oklahoma
Blake Griffin and Sam Bradford put OU in uncharted territory as the only student-athletes from the same school to win the Naismith Trophy and Heisman Trophy in the same academic year. In addition, Courtney Paris became the first four-time AP All-American in women's college basketball.

bri
4/6/2009, 12:27 AM
I'd trade all three awards for just one title, but still. That IS mighty impressive. :D

Frozen Sooner
4/6/2009, 12:38 AM
I guess the closest this has ever come to happening before was Beban and Alcindor at UCLA.

Whatever happened to that Alcindor kid, anyhow? You'd think the NABC player of the year would have done something in the pros. ;)

Frozen Sooner
4/6/2009, 12:40 AM
It's nice to be the answer to an obscure football/basketball trivia question again. Like this a lot better than being the only school to lose national championship games in football and basketball in the same year, too.

Of course, if we'd have lost to the same damn school like tOSU did, I think we'd have lost our collective minds.

badger
4/6/2009, 07:23 AM
Ok, guys, here's the BIG question:

1- When is the statue going up, where is it going up and how will it look?

It's only fair. We have statues for our Heisman winners near Owen Field, we need statues of our Naismith winners (plural, because I'm thinking future-tense).

I say it goes up after Blake's OU career is over in front of the east end of the LNC and it's based on this moment:

You probably know what this is before clicking on it. (http://ou.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2009/02/08/griffinBT_t290.jpg?d544fc9379581dd1661c5a50851b8c6 9ebc15db8)

Thus, whenever people hold the No. 1 for OU, little kids can also point forward instead and say "Daddy, look! I'm Blake Griffin!" :D

Lott's Bandana
4/6/2009, 08:34 AM
Ok, guys, here's the BIG question:

1- When is the statue going up, where is it going up and how will it look?

It's only fair. We have statues for our Heisman winners near Owen Field, we need statues of our Naismith winners (plural, because I'm thinking future-tense).

I say it goes up after Blake's OU career is over in front of the east end of the LNC and it's based on this moment:

You probably know what this is before clicking on it. (http://ou.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2009/02/08/griffinBT_t290.jpg?d544fc9379581dd1661c5a50851b8c6 9ebc15db8)

Thus, whenever people hold the No. 1 for OU, little kids can also point forward instead and say "Daddy, look! I'm Blake Griffin!" :D

I'm with Baj on this.

Courtney is also deserving in so many ways.

I think Blake and CP3 should have statues somewhere near the LNC and I would be more than happy to contribute to a fundraiser. We can be a "football school" and still become a major player in the hoops world.

I think this amazing 2008/09 season should be remembered for the incredible individual accomplishments by our three superstars. All three undeniably were the result of working for their team's ultimate success.

badger
4/6/2009, 08:41 AM
I'm with Baj on this.

Courtney is also deserving in so many ways.

I think Blake and CP3 should have statues somewhere near the LNC and I would be more than happy to contribute to a fundraiser. We can be a "football school" and still become a major player in the hoops world.

I think this amazing 2008/09 season should be remembered for the incredible individual accomplishments by our three superstars. All three undeniably were the result of working for their team's ultimate success.

After all the talk I've done on women's basketball during the past many years (and being a girl and all, haha) I wish I'd have suggested this too :(

Well, kudos to Lott for the great suggestion :D

For Courtney, I think we could have her statue on either the north side ( a lot of traffic) or west side (student side!) of LNC. The statue should probably be of a rebound since she's the rebounding queen (Hait, Queen Courtney!) or blocking because she was so good at that.

If funds for such statues are skimpy, I guess we could always just combine the two and go with this pose right here (http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/womens.covers.2000s/images/blake-griffin-courtney-paris.new.jpg).

:D I'm kidding, of course. TWO statues, make it happen, Joe C!

Lott's Bandana
4/6/2009, 08:59 AM
I wish there was some way to show a statue of CP3 lumbering down the court after the rest of the team is already there setting up a play.

I actually began to find that endearing...the way she'd finally show up, set up in the post and raise her arm.

badger
4/6/2009, 09:10 AM
Ok, here we go:
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/05/24/76/image_2676245.jpg
It shows how strong Courtney is AND it gets a big eff you to the Baylor wimmen. If we could get her stepping on a thug aggie player while OSU's Andrea Riley sulks on the bench... and then someone incorporate Texas sucking into the mix, that would be a d@mn fine statue :D

EDIT: As an added OU bonus, doesn't it kind of look like the Steve Owens pose?

EDIT 2: Ok, I know I suggested asterisking Texas in dishonor of their 2008, but I guess I'm gonna have to watch where I use that now... I guess Texas A&M is now "Thug Aggie" and Texas Tech is now... um... well, they're not really anything in basketball :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/6/2009, 11:56 AM
I'm not surprised at the missing thread since this happened several hours ago and he's not a football player.

The college basketball equivalent of the Heisman, no big. *Texas* claiming the big 12 football championship clearly is more important.

Anyway, mini rant over.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040509aaa.html

Congrats Blake, keep the hardware coming.

I've always considered the Wooden award as the equivalent of the Heisman but I'm quite certain Blake will get that hardware as well. Both awards started roughly about 35-40 years ago.

soonerfan28
4/6/2009, 01:36 PM
Now I just need a pic of Blake and Sam holding there respective trophies standing side by side.

badger
4/6/2009, 01:48 PM
Now I just need a pic of Blake and Sam holding there respective trophies standing side by side.

Can it shopped?

stoopified
4/6/2009, 11:08 PM
I wish there was some way to show a statue of CP3 lumbering down the court after the rest of the team is already there setting up a play.

I actually began to find that endearing...the way she'd finally show up, set up in the post and raise her arm.Yeah but it was almost alawys offense where she moved slowly down court.Would you rather she rest on D?

BTW Kareem used to do the same thing ,rest on offense,conserve his energy for D.If the fastbreak is there the Sooners did not need CP3,if it wasn't ,she was there when the halfcourt O was set up.

GottaHavePride
4/7/2009, 12:16 AM
I guess the closest this has ever come to happening before was Beban and Alcindor at UCLA.

Whatever happened to that Alcindor kid, anyhow? You'd think the NABC player of the year would have done something in the pros. ;)

A man has the right to change his name to whatever he wants to change it to. And if a man wants to be called Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, godammit this is a free country, you should respect his wishes, and call the man Kareem Abdul-Jabbar!

http://blogs.tampabay.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/29/eddie_saul.jpg

bri
4/7/2009, 12:55 AM
Any statue of Blake Griffin that isn't hitting its head on a backboard is doing it wrong.

soonerfan28
4/7/2009, 09:51 AM
We have a Heisman Park maybe we need a Naismith Park. I know that it would only be Griffin at this point but maybe we could add one at a later time.

JLEW1818
4/7/2009, 05:24 PM
This is the only one I have of Sam and Blake together.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm474/jlew1818/samandblake.jpg