PDA

View Full Version : How much food can you buy for $100?

Chuck Bao
4/4/2009, 11:39 AM
I’ve had to start paying attention to prices these days and I was surprised by how much food my money will buy when I’m not buying alcohol.

8 pieces of chicken thighs and drumsticks
8 cans of Campbell’s soup
8 cans of spaghetti sauce
8 packages of Japanese egg noodles
1 package of spaghetti
4 cans of tuna
4 packages of red beans
8 frozen dinners
2 packages of crinkly cut french fries.
2 large packages of frozen battered popcorn shrimp
4 packages of dried giant black Chinese mushrooms
2 packages of fresh giant black Chinese mushrooms
8 large white onions
2 bell peppers
3 banana peppers
8 large Irish potatoes
4 1.25 litre bottles of Coke Zero
1 dozen eggs
1 package of bacon
1 birthday cake

Besides the food, I also bought:

1 package of birthday candles
2 large bottles of shampoo
2 stick deodorant
2 tubes of toothpaste
1 large bottle of mouthwash
8 bars of soap

I rechecked the bill and the total sum came to $108 at the current baht/dollar exchange rate.

This is enough food and toiletry items to last me at least one month and that is assuming that I fix one dinner meal during weekdays and two meals during weekends. So, I’m not going to starve.

Okay, Thailand really should have the cheapest food in the world, especially in fresh vegetables and fruits. But, I didn’t buy much fresh vegetables and fruits.

I have a feeling that the above list would be more than $108 in the US. How much do you think it would cost in the US? A $100 grocery bill would last your family how long? Do you think food costs too much in the US?

And, if you want to make fun of my dietary choices, go ahead.

soonerboomer93
4/4/2009, 01:17 PM
8 bars of soap?

you got some cleanliness issues?

Chuck Bao
4/4/2009, 01:34 PM
8 bars of soap?

you got some cleanliness issues?

I already had soap and toilet paper and light bulbs and drinking water and other stuff. This grocery store run was not meant to be all that I needed in a month. But, it should be for food. And yes I'm starting to stockpile canned food again in case there is a bird flu or SARS or another epidemic. I just can't help myself.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/4/2009, 01:45 PM
about 40 pounds, maybe.

BudSooner
4/4/2009, 02:06 PM
I already had soap and toilet paper and light bulbs and drinking water and other stuff. This grocery store run was not meant to be all that I needed in a month. But, it should be for food. And yes I'm starting to stockpile canned food again in case there is a bird flu or SARS or another epidemic. I just can't help myself.
I understand stocking up, especially with SARS and such going on over there, it's good thinking.
I'm thinking I could buy similar items(subbing some stuff for others)and spend about the same amount, but my wife goes crazy on paper good like butt wipe.

I think she is sending me a message. :D

Crucifax Autumn
4/4/2009, 04:07 PM
1000 packs of ramen noodles.

Chuck Bao
4/4/2009, 06:22 PM
about 40 pounds, maybe.

That's just it. You can't really stock up on the healthy stuff, as long as fresh fruit and fresh vegetables are fresh. What's the point of frozen veggies or dried beans without some bacon? And, there is the pesicides and fertilizers and other chemicals contaminating the food.

Is anyone else getting really alarmed with the rash of salmonella outbreaks with peanuts and now pistachio nuts.

soonerboomer93
4/4/2009, 10:39 PM
not really. I don't think that it's any more common place then it's always been. It's just more advertised now.

soonerboomer93
4/4/2009, 10:42 PM
oh, I also think we're more sensitive to it. We live in a sterilized world. Everything is antibacterial, we never get exposed to any germs if we can help it, so our bodies may actually be more sensitive to common germs that we should be able to fight off easily. We know staph infections are actually worse because of we've basically killed all the simple/weak ones and forced resistance strains to breed.

SCOUT
4/4/2009, 11:01 PM
oh, I also think we're more sensitive to it. We live in a sterilized world. Everything is antibacterial, we never get exposed to any germs if we can help it, so our bodies may actually be more sensitive to common germs that we should be able to fight off easily. We know staph infections are actually worse because of we've basically killed all the simple/weak ones and forced resistance strains to breed.

My wife works in a hospital and they have actually sent out a memo saying, "Please don't use antibacterial soap at home." The reason they stated was that we/they would be lowering our tolerances to bacteria and becoming more susceptible to infection. They use them in the hospital out of necessity but everyday use can actually be a disadvantage.

Crucifax Autumn
4/5/2009, 12:02 AM
Yeah, we didn't get sick back when we were kids eating dirt and squishing bugs before eating food that was left out for hours with our unwashed butt-scratching hands.