PDA

View Full Version : Dear Lawyers

SicEmBaylor
4/4/2009, 12:18 AM
What, pray tell, is a loyer? I hear people pronounce the term of a practitioner of law as a "loyer" all the time. Are lawyers competing against these practitioners of loy in the same way legitimate doctors compete against chiropractors or is this just a massive failure of the English language?

IMWTK

StoopTroup
4/4/2009, 12:24 AM
This ought to be good. :D

SicEmBaylor
4/4/2009, 12:26 AM
This ought to be good. :D

Well, I had to ask because I just don't know. I'm just a professional stoydent.

SicEmBaylor
4/4/2009, 12:29 AM
What's most annoying is that I hear the term most often from otherwise highly educated people. I've heard lawyers themselves say, "loyer."

I think it's an attempt to sound intelligent in the same way journalists love to mispronounce Pakistan as "PALK-EE-Stan" instead of "Pack-e-Stan" which is technically the proper pronunciation.

SicEmBaylor
4/4/2009, 12:30 AM
Here's a good rule of thumb. If you hear someone say LOY-er or Palk-EE-Stan then chances are you have yourself a ******bag.

yermom
4/4/2009, 02:45 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lawyer

Frozen Sooner
4/4/2009, 02:52 AM
One wonders how SicEm pronounces "Sawyer," as in Tom Sawyer.

SicEmBaylor
4/4/2009, 03:06 AM
One wonders how SicEm pronounces "Sawyer," as in Tom Sawyer.

That's entirely different. The "law" in "lawyer" is a prefix. Dictionary.com is throwing in a common pronunciation, but there's absolutely no reason that people should say "loyer/loier." Taking the prefix, one would have to assume that there was such a thing as "loi/loy" that one might practice. It's absolutely nonsensical.

The "Saw" in Sawyer isn't a prefix.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/4/2009, 09:13 AM

Sure it is. The name is rooted in the trade of a lumberman, one that saws round logs into square beams for building, which over time became one that cuts raw dimensional lumber from raw stock on a millsaw. The person that does that work? A sawyer.

Just like a Miller has roots from millwork. Brewer? Brewing beers. Banks? You guessed it.

StoopTroup
4/4/2009, 10:14 AM
Lumberman is my prawn name.

Frozen Sooner
4/4/2009, 12:11 PM
Sure it is. The name is rooted in the trade of a lumberman, one that saws round logs into square beams for building, which over time became one that cuts raw dimensional lumber from raw stock on a millsaw. The person that does that work? A sawyer.

Just like a Miller has roots from millwork. Brewer? Brewing beers. Banks? You guessed it.

Thank you.

Dio
4/4/2009, 04:49 PM
I'm still waiting for this thread to go nucular.

Crucifax Autumn
4/4/2009, 05:44 PM
I'm waiting for it to be interesting...so yeah...me too!

Boomer Mooner
4/5/2009, 12:09 PM
I have started referring to practitioners of law as 'Liars'. The name is rooted in the practice of lying at a professional level. I actually prefer a noun formed by using the suffix "ator", denoting someone who performs the action of the base verb, in this case "lie". The new noun would be "Lieator".

An excellent example of this suffix usage is the noun created by adding the suffix "ator" to the verb "sin". As we all know many "lieators" often aspire to be very proficient "Sinators".

Ike
4/5/2009, 10:24 PM
That's entirely different. The "law" in "lawyer" is a prefix. Dictionary.com is throwing in a common pronunciation, but there's absolutely no reason that people should say "loyer/loier." Taking the prefix, one would have to assume that there was such a thing as "loi/loy" that one might practice. It's absolutely nonsensical.

post of the year!

OUMallen
4/6/2009, 12:10 PM
I always say attorney.

StoopTroup
4/6/2009, 12:14 PM
I'm waiting for it to be interesting...so yeah...me too!

Have a little patience. SicEm threads may start off a tad slow...but after 16 or 17 pages...they take on a epic status usually.

:D :pop:

Dio
4/6/2009, 12:50 PM
Have a little patience. SicEm threads may start off a tad slow...but after 16 or 17 pages...they take on a epic status usually.

:D :pop:

Can someone just send me the Cliff's Notes when that happens?

TIA

mdklatt
4/6/2009, 01:21 PM
I just want to know WTF "esquire" actually means.

NYC Poke
4/6/2009, 01:31 PM

Just from context of when I've see it used, I think it means "obnoxious, pretentious a**hole."

Tulsa_Fireman
4/6/2009, 03:06 PM

It's Bill S. Preston's title.

Frozen Sooner
4/6/2009, 03:19 PM
Just from context of when I've see it used, I think it means "obnoxious, pretentious a**hole."

Heh.

A friend of mine several years ago provided me with a list of latin terms commonly used in the practice of law. My favorite (and really, the only one that stuck with me) was:

sic-thus. Used to indicate that any error in the quoted text is that of the original author. Also used to indicate extreme smugness.

Frozen Sooner
4/6/2009, 03:24 PM
And if'n you're really curious:

In Britain, an esquire is one who is considered to be of noble birth and one step above a gentleman. Attainment of the rank of equire denotes that you hold a royal commission. As a result, barristers were granted the title of esquire, as they held a royal commission to practice law.

United States attorneys presumably retained the practice of using the title of esquire, though of course no royal patent attends the rank here. It simply denotes that one is licensed to practice law, no more.