PDA

View Full Version : Blake Bell, Rivals #1 2010 QB

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2009, 06:55 PM
Committed to Oklahoma today per Rivals.

That's a nice pickup. This QB class is supposed to be kind of weak, but #1 is #1. :D

Curly Bill
4/3/2009, 07:01 PM
You must be a paid subscriber or something, because what I can see for free only indicates that he visited on Thursday.

Well...if true that is sweet news.

Curly Bill
4/3/2009, 07:03 PM
You must be a paid subscriber or something, because what I can see for free only indicates that he visited on Thursday.

oooops, found it! :D

So, it is sweet news.

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2009, 07:04 PM

I was a paid subscriber and for whatever reason signed up for their text alerts. Can't figure out how to turn the damn things off, but on the bright side I get breaking premium news sometimes.

Curly Bill
4/3/2009, 07:08 PM
I was a paid subscriber and for whatever reason signed up for their text alerts. Can't figure out how to turn the damn things off, but on the bright side I get breaking premium news sometimes.

heh

No articles as of yet, and on his page it still doesn't show up, but where they have the various rankings when you look out beside his name it says: Oklahoma. :)

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2009, 07:10 PM
Trust me, it gets really irritating every so often when they get really excited and send me the same text like 10 times in a row.

Curly Bill
4/3/2009, 07:14 PM
Maybe because the Heaps kid outta Washington was high on us kinda spurred young Mr Bell's decision making process, and committing so soon after visiting looks good on us.

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2009, 07:20 PM
Very well might be the case. Though I think if Heaps wants to commit we take him anyhow. If I'm not mistaken, there's a chance we have only one scholarship QB on the roster going into Fall 2010.

Curly Bill
4/3/2009, 07:23 PM
We should have Landry Jones and Drew Allen going into Fall 2010, but if Heaps wants to come along I say the more the merrier.

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2009, 07:25 PM
Forgot Drew Allen. Three QBs is about right, though of course four (with two redshirting) would certainly be verr'nice.

Curly Bill
4/3/2009, 07:35 PM
OU's Rivals site has been updated to feature Mr Bell's wise decision.

GottaHavePride
4/3/2009, 10:37 PM
It's all over the news up here. Don't know anything about him, though - I don't follow high school football except to know he plays for Bishop Carroll, which is across the street from where I work out.

OklahomaTuba
4/3/2009, 11:05 PM
OU gets commitment from nation's top quarterback

By John E. Hoover
Published: 4/3/2009 8:55 PM
Last Modified: 4/3/2009 9:12 PM

Oklahoma on Friday reportedly received a verbal commitment from Blake Bell, the No. 1 high school quarterback prospect in the country, according to Rivals.com.

Bell took an unofficial visit to the OU campus Thursday and then committed Friday morning, according to Rivals network Web site SoonerScoop.com.

Bell, of Wichita (Kan.) Bishop Carroll High School, told the site, “I committed to Oklahoma University. I talked with coach Bob Stoops this morning. I committed. . . . It was my dream school.’’

The 6-foot-6, 210-pound Bell said he had other visits scheduled but now plans to cancel them all.

‘’It’s a great fit for me,” he said. “It’s one of those things, I had a whole trip planned, Missouri, Kansas, and lots of others, after this weekend.’’

“On the way home last night it was me, my uncle, and my dad saying there is no reason to go anywhere else.’’

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090403_92_0_Oklaho563694

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/3/2009, 11:36 PM
Where's that Rhino?

pappy
4/4/2009, 03:11 AM
This is exciting...first 5-star commit of 2010 I know he is a 4-star currently but when rivals releases the next group of 5-stars he will be one. rivals always gives out 27 5-stars and Bell is ranked #25 overall and could move up.

KsSooner
4/4/2009, 08:30 AM
Kid has good genes. If you don't already know, his dad and uncle, that were mentioned in article, played pro football with the Chiefs. Mike and Mark Bell.

colleyvillesooner
4/4/2009, 11:47 AM
Sweet. Lets get some of those Top WR to go with him...

4/4/2009, 12:34 PM
Where's that Rhino?There's that Rhino! Thnx.

KingDavid
4/4/2009, 02:28 PM
Good choice, Mr. Bell.

Now . . . if you will just go get in the weight room and add 40-50 lbs, you'll be able to compete for a starting job as a true Freshman. And even if you don't start, I'll bet we find some ways to get you on the field right away..

JLEW1818
4/4/2009, 03:13 PM
This is huge. Others will follow

Salt City Sooner
4/4/2009, 06:35 PM
A short video interview with the newest Sooner:

http://www.kake.com/sports/headlines/42452062.html#

Rhino
4/4/2009, 06:39 PM
Good choice, Mr. Bell.

Now . . . if you will just go get in the weight room and add 40-50 lbs, you'll be able to compete for a starting job as a true Freshman. And even if you don't start, I'll bet we find some ways to get you on the field right away.. He's already somewhere between 210 and 215.

Do you want him to be Jared Lorenzen?

GottaHavePride
4/4/2009, 08:12 PM
http://www.kansas.com/sports/story/760383.html

BY JONATHAN LONG
The Wichita Eagle

Blake Bell has always admired the Oklahoma football program. On Friday, the Bishop Carroll junior quarterback accepted an opportunity to become a part of it.

Bell, the top quarterback prospect in the class of 2010 according to Rivals.com, orally committed to the Sooners.

"Everyone that knows me knows that I've been an Oklahoma fan since I was little," Bell said. "I think I fit in perfectly with their style."

Oklahoma offered Bell a scholarship on Feb.14, but he said it was his most recent trip to Norman on Thursday that sold him on the program.

"I was unsure on some things and I wanted to go down to see what the offense was like," Bell said. "Everyone down there was real. They didn't just tell me what I wanted to hear. I didn't go down there expecting to commit, but everything just felt right."

The Sooners have received several other commitments from highly-rated juniors and told Bell they hope that his commitment will make others more interested in joining OU -- everyone but drop back passers.

"They said they might bring in one more quarterback, an option guy, but they said they're done with drop back passers," Bell said. "They always have talented guys come in. I'll be surrounded by a lot of talent, what more can a quarterback ask for? It's great to be a Sooner."

Bell is the third player from the 2008 Eagle Top 11 team to choose Oklahoma. Conway Springs senior linebacker Jaydan Bird and LaCrosse senior linebacker Marshall Musil have already signed.

Bell will be the sixth Carroll player to sign with a Big 12 school in the past seven years and the ninth to sign with a Division I school.

Kansas and K-State were in the hunt for Bell, as was as Notre Dame.

JLEW1818
4/5/2009, 12:00 AM
I LOVE IT!!!!

soonerfan28
4/5/2009, 09:24 AM
He played WR as a sophmore and has been called a "taller Jake Locker".

47straight
4/5/2009, 04:06 PM
My only hope is that he's got his head screwed on straight. Just be a decent kid who's humble and works hard, and you'll flourish here.

JLEW1818
4/5/2009, 04:16 PM
My only hope is that he's got his head screwed on straight. Just be a decent kid who's humble and works hard, and you'll flourish here.

aka Sam Bradford style !

KingDavid
4/5/2009, 09:50 PM
He's already somewhere between 210 and 215.

Do you want him to be Jared Lorenzen?

No, or I would have said "add 60-70lbs."

I was thinking more along the lines of Ben Rothlisberger. He actually reminds me of Big Ben in some of that footage. Has a real knack for creating something from nothing.

kssoonerfan7
4/5/2009, 11:14 PM

he definitely has his head on strait. he didnt make any fanfare about committing to OU.. He saw what a circus bryce brown made of it and I think wanted to stay under the radar with it.

Being from Wichita I am excited he chose the sooners and hope he excels there

Eielson
4/5/2009, 11:43 PM
He played WR as a sophmore and has been called a "taller Jake Locker".

Just as long as he knows how to celebrate touchdowns.

JLEW1818
4/6/2009, 12:12 AM
hahahahaha

soonerfan28
4/6/2009, 10:11 AM
I'm glad we didn't get Connor Wood now.

OU-HSV
4/6/2009, 07:23 PM
Great news! Now I gotta go find some free highlight videos of this guy. Anyone seen any?

So far this is all I could find by googling "Blake Bell Highlight Reel"
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Blake+Bell+Wichita+football&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#q=blake+bell+highlight+reel&hl=en&emb=0

MojoRisen
4/7/2009, 12:44 PM
This guy is the real deal! We should be set at QB for the forseable future!

jumperstop
4/7/2009, 07:01 PM
I'm glad to see that he is very intelligent and well spoken. Hope we have the next Sammy.

OU_Sooners75
4/7/2009, 10:25 PM
I have seen this kid play more than once.

He definitely has a lot of potential, however it is very raw right now.

The last game I watched him play, he did not do to well.

piusbovis
4/8/2009, 12:44 AM

Fortunately he gets to spend some time working with Josh Heupel for a bit before he sets foot on the field.

starclassic tama
4/8/2009, 01:11 AM
his throwing motion is sort of awkward but other than that i think this kid has a lot of potential. GREAT athlete too, very mobile from the looks of it. a white vince young except a better passer, and smarter!

Salt City Sooner
4/8/2009, 11:15 AM
Bell runs a 4.7. The next time I see Vince Young run that slowly will be the first.

picasso
4/8/2009, 12:49 PM

heard the same thing from those who saw Bradford in high school.

just sayin.

soonerfan28
4/8/2009, 01:21 PM
Bell runs a 4.7. The next time I see Vince Young run that slowly will be the first.

Young ran a 4.58 at the NFL combine and that isn't much faster then what Bell "ran".

Salt City Sooner
4/8/2009, 01:57 PM
Yes, it is. You can automatically add on a good 2 tenths of a second to those high school times virtually every time. Even Bell himself has said that he has no idea how the dual threat tag was applied to him. He's said that he's a passer who can make a couple of plays with his feet when nothing else is there. I've watched the kid in person & he's 100x closer to Bradford physically (NTTAWWT as Sam's a very underrated athlete) than VY.

soonerfan28
4/8/2009, 02:08 PM
My point is that Young and Bell are long striders and they cover ground at almost the same speed.

Salt City Sooner
4/8/2009, 02:15 PM
They do both have long strides, no doubt. But if you're expecting things like the 6:15 mark of this link, you're going to be disappointed. He's just not that fast. I'm not bagging on the guy, far from it. In fact, for what we do on offense, I think he'll be a very good fit. I'm just saying there's a reason for the God-like status that VY achieved that year. The guy was an absolute freak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7EDQ_UBjw

NormanPride
4/8/2009, 05:18 PM
Those who say he looks raw are right - he's played QB for one year. He's already a 5-star QB, and has TONS of upside. He's a great pickup, and should really help us get some good WRs this year.

soonerfan28
4/8/2009, 05:46 PM
They do both have long strides, no doubt. But if you're expecting things like the 6:15 mark of this link, you're going to be disappointed. He's just not that fast. I'm not bagging on the guy, far from it. In fact, for what we do on offense, I think he'll be a very good fit. I'm just saying there's a reason for the God-like status that VY achieved that year. The guy was an absolute freak.

True

Dizzle Shizzle
4/8/2009, 11:31 PM

Amen, Vince was an amazing player and people (Sooner fans) don't give him enough credit.
They also don't give our defense enough credit for slowing him down.
We can't win every game, but we can give our players credit for playing well even in defeat.

4/9/2009, 01:05 AM
Amen, Vince was an amazing player and people (Sooner fans) don't give him enough credit.
They also don't give our defense enough credit for slowing him down.
We can't win every game, but we can give our players credit for playing well even in defeat.Split with Vince. OU '04, Whornes '05. We were even able to overcome the refs in '04, to record the shutout of the Bionic One.

OU_Sooners75
4/9/2009, 03:00 AM

just sayin.

Well, the last game I watched him play this past year was in the state playoffs...so....

I think the kid will be very good.

And to whomever said like a white vince young....Not even close! This kid reminds me a lot of Jason White before the knee injuries!

OU_Sooners75
4/9/2009, 03:02 AM
Young ran a 4.58 at the NFL combine and that isn't much faster then what Bell "ran".

Not just that, but Vince also got a benefit of having the equipment of Texass for 3 years before running that 4.58.

Bell was a Junior in High School when he ran a 4.7. They do not have all the technology as Texas or the NFL does in high school here in Kansas!

OU-HSV
4/9/2009, 11:36 PM
Yes, it is. You can automatically add on a good 2 tenths of a second to those high school times virtually every time. Even Bell himself has said that he has no idea how the dual threat tag was applied to him. He's said that he's a passer who can make a couple of plays with his feet when nothing else is there. I've watched the kid in person & he's 100x closer to Bradford physically (NTTAWWT as Sam's a very underrated athlete) than VY.

I certainly see what you're saying. He'll always be a pocket style QB if a 4.7-4.8 is his fastest 40.

But he had some decent stats on the ground last season,
Bell completed 215 of 337 passes (64%) for 2871 yards, 34 touchdowns and 8 interceptions his junior season. He also carried the ball 79 times for 327 yards and 12 touchdowns.....which seem to show that he's at least mobile enough to get out of trouble if he's got pressure. I'm guessing he's a lot like Sam (as far as being able to move). Let's hope he's a lot like Sam when it comes to throwing the pigskin as well. :D

soonerfan28
4/13/2009, 12:24 PM
Blakes dad and uncle played in the NFL. I wander if there are anymore of the Bell boys that might want to look at OU.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/14/2009, 01:44 PM

just sayin.

i believe our exact statements were "uh, i know that mike leach knows more about recruiting QBs than we ever will, but uh, i'm not seeing it."

he wasn't super accurate, he didn't have very good arm strength, etc.

bottom line is mike leach = a god

swardboy
4/14/2009, 07:52 PM
Lawsy me! 6'6" ....we keep gettin' them in the Sam Bradford mold don't we?

How tall is Drew Allen?

soonerfan28
4/14/2009, 08:29 PM
6'5

picasso
4/15/2009, 12:35 PM
6'5

6'6" in cleats.

Rhino
4/15/2009, 12:48 PM
6'6" in cleats. 6'7" in high heels.

picasso
4/15/2009, 05:20 PM
6'9" with the afro.

Sabanball
4/17/2009, 01:50 PM
Huge pickup for you guys, but frankly I thought you would go after Philip Sims(top pro style 2010 prospect) and was shocked you guys didn't offer him. Seems he would have been more suited for your style of O. But then again, when you put the ball in the air 60-70 times a game, I'm not sure it matters that much..Blake has got great combination of size/speed, no doubt about it.

Again, great pickup.

Salt City Sooner
10/7/2009, 10:37 PM
Just a heads up; I was just thumbing through my viewing guide & saw that ESPNU is airing Bishop Carroll vs. Kapaun Friday night at 7 CST.

JLEW1818
10/7/2009, 11:16 PM
thanks!

goingoneight
10/8/2009, 11:04 AM
I love how people thought "speed" is what made Vince Young great in college. I guess Barry Sanders was a pretty "fast" guy too. Not that he wasn't, and not that VY wasn't "fast," but those guys had vision, moves and a feel for the game that normal "speed" and "fast guys" don't have.

IronHorseSooner
10/8/2009, 02:40 PM
I agree that vision might be better than speed. Now, I don't think having a skill guy out there running a 4.8 is ideal, but I would take a 4.6 guy with great vision and discipline over a 4.3 guy who 1) can't get open, 2) hit the hole, or 3) who is consistently out of position. Look at guys like Bassey or Chijoke for defensive examples of that. Again, if speed determined greatness, then Trendon Holliday would've won the Heisman by now, and Renaldo Neahmiah (sp?) would be in the NFL Hall of Fame.

stoopified
10/8/2009, 04:14 PM
Footspeed is not a major issue for OU qbs.White,Hybl were both 4.7 types(before the knee injuries for White),Heupel was 4.85.OU recruits qbs to be passers and good decision makers ,not runners.

JLEW1818
10/8/2009, 09:16 PM
well speed does matter some in College

Vince could consistently get to the edge in college

no chance in the NFL

IronHorseSooner
10/8/2009, 09:35 PM
well speed does matter some in College

Vince could consistently get to the edge in college

no chance in the NFL

But I thought he was headed to the Hall of Fame?

JLEW1818
10/8/2009, 10:01 PM
bust of fame...

hehe.

TX_SOONER_FAN
10/9/2009, 07:11 PM
Just a heads up; I was just thumbing through my viewing guide & saw that ESPNU is airing Bishop Carroll vs. Kapaun Friday night at 7 CST.

Reminder! It's on ESPNU right now.

hotshot13422
10/9/2009, 07:27 PM
He just made a great throw into coverage.

His next throw was tipped at the line, intercepted, and returned for a touchdown

hotshot13422
10/9/2009, 07:34 PM
He just threw a 75 yard tochdown pass, about 40 in the air

hotshot13422
10/9/2009, 08:10 PM
I don't like how he throws the ball like a sling and not over the top. He's had five balls tipped at the line, just that i have seen. But what do i know, I'm not a recruiter.

Also, they keep talking about Tennessee recruiting somebody out of this game. From what i can imply, they're talking about Bell. Someone clear this up for me please.

adoniijahsooner
10/10/2009, 06:50 AM
I don't like how he throws the ball like a sling and not over the top. He's had five balls tipped at the line, just that i have seen. But what do i know, I'm not a recruiter.

Also, they keep talking about Tennessee recruiting somebody out of this game. From what i can imply, they're talking about Bell. Someone clear this up for me please.

I think Heupel will fix that once he is in the system.

snp
10/11/2009, 09:28 PM

Remember this is only his second year playing the quarterback position. His mechanics will change once he gets here.

Salt City Sooner
10/15/2009, 11:17 PM
Haven't seen BB's #'s yet, but I saw on the news tonight that Carroll nipped West 55-0.

Salt City Sooner
10/16/2009, 10:01 AM
Here's the article. Looks like 17-27 for 245 yds. & 6 TD's.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/story/1014375.html

picasso
10/16/2009, 10:15 AM
6 TD's? That's better than Al Bundy!

pappy
10/16/2009, 11:20 AM
hahaha

Salt City Sooner
11/7/2009, 11:45 AM
His line last night: 340 yds. passing, 155 rushing & 6 total TD's (4 pass, 2 rush).

http://www.varsitykansas.com/top/story/1234.html

Hit the link on the left side of this one for highlights:

http://catchitkansas.com/global/story.asp?s=11461836