PDA

View Full Version : FLOYD STAYING AT USC!!!

boomersooner28
4/2/2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks for screwing this up tards! :D

Now what for Capel?

soonervegas
4/2/2009, 05:02 PM
It's radioactive now. They need to adopt the OU plan. Up and comer from a mid-major.

badger
4/2/2009, 05:07 PM
I highly recommend they hire the up and coming Travis Ford. Travis Ford is nowhere near close to down and not coming. He is as close to up and coming as you possibly can be... and OSU does not have deep pockets to keep him like OU does. Remember that OSU has a T. Boner, but they, themselves, lose a lotta money on their athletics program.

So, Zona, welcome Coach Ford to the Wildcat family. He has an excellent relationship with the refs and will most assuredly coach you to some sort of success in moderation eventually. His teams, much like the school he is currently at, is always "on the rise."

:D

Frozen Sooner
4/2/2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah, at this point I have to think Capel's not interested in the job if Tim Floyd turned it down. Capel's in a MUCH better situation here than Floyd is at USC.

soonerfan28
4/2/2009, 05:23 PM
It's radioactive now. They need to adopt the OU plan. Up and comer from a mid-major.

Yea, but Virginia already got the only good one out there.

King Crimson
4/2/2009, 05:29 PM
i think USC is a better job than UVA. the hoos have a great new gym but USC is the "bling bling" school in a winnable conference.

Froz is right, no way Capel takes UVA sloppy seconds.

Frozen Sooner
4/2/2009, 05:32 PM
Yea, but Virginia already got the only good one out there.

1. Washington State isn't a mid-major.

2. I'm of the opinion that Anthony Grant's a pretty good coach.

3. Mark Few's pretty good, too.

soonerfan28
4/2/2009, 05:35 PM
1. Washington State isn't a mid-major.

2. I'm of the opinion that Anthony Grant's a pretty good coach.

3. Mark Few's pretty good, too.

I meant Bama. Anthony Grant was who I was talking about.

King Crimson
4/2/2009, 05:36 PM
Mark Few ain't going anywhere, least of all UVA. and keep the Bama humping to a minimum.

TIA.;)

boomersooner28
4/2/2009, 05:36 PM
I think Billy Gillespie would be a great hire for AZ at this point. I don't think he has anything going on right now either so he'd probably sign right up. :D

Frozen Sooner
4/2/2009, 05:40 PM
Mark Few ain't going anywhere, least of all UVA. and keep the Bama humping to a minimum.

TIA.;)

I don't think Few is going anywhere either, particularly since it looks like Ernie Kent's retention at Oregon was predicated on Few turning the job down. I was just responding to the assertion that Tony Bennett was the only good mid-major coach out there and UVA got him. As bs28 acknowledged, that was incorrect on several levels. And for what it's worth, UVA doesn't have a coaching vacancy right now.

And like you wouldn't be happy if Vandy hired Anthony Grant. :D

Plenty of solid coaches at the mid-major level, though. Fisher at SDSU even has a national championship ring.

Frozen Sooner
4/2/2009, 05:43 PM
I'm starting to wonder if there's a problem at Arizona that isn't getting a lot of press. Floyd turning down Arizona to stay at USC doesn't make a bunch of sense career-wise.

I know that U of A is under NCAA investigation for some of Lute's recruiting practices. I wonder if the possibility of sanctions is keeping coaches away?

Also, there's a rumor going 'round that Memphis is after Floyd and is offering a pile of cash-much more than Arizona was going to offer.

soonerfan28
4/2/2009, 05:45 PM
I think Floyd is headed to Memphis especially if they can pony up the kind of cash they were going to when Calipari decided to split, but I think with Arizona it has to do w/the fact that they have nobody on that team. Sweet 16 or not they have no recruits. Budinger's leavin and they are gonna suck for a while.

King Crimson
4/2/2009, 05:53 PM
i must have that Broca's area thing, UVA, U of A. or be functionally illiterate.

Vandy already has about the best hoops coach they are ever going to have (minus CM Newton), btw. same with football. you'll just be lucky the internet exists, because no light escapes the SEC black hole. just wait and see.

boomersooner28
4/2/2009, 05:57 PM
Apparently Memphis has offered Pearl 3 mill a year for 7 years.

Frozen Sooner
4/2/2009, 06:08 PM
i must have that Broca's area thing, UVA, U of A. or be functionally illiterate.

Vandy already has about the best hoops coach they are ever going to have (minus CM Newton), btw. same with football. you'll just be lucky the internet exists, because no light escapes the SEC black hole. just wait and see.

Was that aphasia? I read the Sagan book years ago, but I don't know that I remember it all that well.

See, moving from here to Tuscaloosa gives me one advantage: at least there's SOME college football coverage locally, even if it is only one conference. Minor league hockey gets about 10 times the coverage that college football does here.

oumartin
4/2/2009, 07:33 PM
kinda weird that Arizona might be a job that none of the good coaches want.

Maybe its their A.D.

He almost muffed Stoops contract after Stoops took them to a bowl. On national tv he was pretty much saying their interim coach didn't have a prayer as far as keeping the job.
Maybe he is a dunce

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/2/2009, 07:37 PM
kinda weird that Arizona might be a job that none of the good coaches want.

I tend to agree, at least at the moment. Arizona is going to be a rebuilding next year. Was a 3-player team this year and not much of a recruiting class coming in. Winning 16 games at Arizona might be an achievement next year.

I do think someone could come in an 2-3 years after the program bottom's out and could be a hero.

badger
4/2/2009, 07:57 PM
Possible NCAA sanctions, following up a legend, a dunce of an athletic director, an interim coach that took em to the sweet 16 getting dumped...

Zona's options are as follows:

1- Keep the interim guy for a few more years. He didn't totally suck and would be good for a transitional period lasting longer than a year.
2- Truck out a lot of money for a big name coach. If he's unsuccessful, you'll be out a lot of money, but he's worth every penny if he returns you where you were around the late 90s/early 00's.
3- Try to find the next Lute. This is a young, rising star coach that will stay for his entire career like Olsen. You won't have to pay a lot for them to start off with and can raise pay based on performance. If they suck, you can cut losses easily.

I would like to remind any Zona athletic department representatives reading that Capel is not the coach you are looking for.

brown town sooner
4/2/2009, 08:49 PM
How long was Olsen at AU? I'm with most of you...doesn't make any since at all for Capel to go to Arizona. It is NOT a better job than Oklahoma....especially right now.

OU_Sooners75
4/2/2009, 09:44 PM
How long was Olsen at AU? I'm with most of you...doesn't make any since at all for Capel to go to Arizona. It is NOT a better job than Oklahoma....especially right now.

Since 1983 I believe.

And U of A got lucky as did Olson when he got there.
Oregon State's program collapsed, UCLA fell on hard times. It left the west wide open for Olson and he landed a lot of great talent.

Basically the only competition recruiting wise he had to deal with was Roy Williams when he was at Kansas.

Now that UCLA is on its way back to the top of the PAC-10, the Arizona job does not look that appealing for an experienced coach at a even keeled school.

In the Oklahoma vs. Arizona thread I made, it would be a lateral move at best for Capel to go to Zona because outside of Olson, they have had very little success.

Lott's Bandana
4/2/2009, 10:02 PM
If Arizona is on the cusp of being an upper tier basketball historic program like some media pundits say, why does Rick Barnes not get a look? If Capel at a football school is a oft-candidate, why not another football school coach that has a long record of success.

In fact, why does his name not ever seem to be mentioned? Perhaps it used to be and I was in NorCal...

oumartin
4/2/2009, 10:08 PM
Barnes is untouchable. Texas will pay more than any other school for Barnes. At least that seems to be everyones opinion that I have heard on the tube