PDA

View Full Version : TMG, Warren, and Gallon... 4 year starters?

Readyfor8
4/2/2009, 04:03 PM
Starting lineup for next year Point TMG, 2 Warren, 3 Crocker, 4 Patillo, 5 Gallon. If Patillo can get a senior year like Taylor Griffin did this year, I think and we get anything like Blakes performance out of a combination of Warren and Gallon, with a true point in TMG I think this team is going to compete heavily with Kansas for the BigXII title.

But I think Warren would be gone to the lottery, does his size keep him in college for the following 2 years? He would have been a high second rounder this year, so I would say no.

After watching TMG play in the McDonalds AA game last night, I think his size could keep him at OU for all four years. Does anyone disagree with that?

The question mark to me is Gallon, he looked last night like a very athletic Kevin Bookout. Same body type maybe a little bigger, he can already drive the lane and has some range with a single Three, can he make a 10 footer consistantly? I'm just not sure he has the height in his jump shot to get over some of the bigger 4's and 5's in the league. I don't think Gallon stays 4 years, the NBA will be a strong pull for him his sophmore season, and if he stays that year, I think he is gone before he is a senior.

So can we get any 4 year starters out of our McD's AA recruits?

Mad Dog Madsen
4/2/2009, 04:19 PM
Well, I've seen a couple mock drafts that had Willie goin in the top 15 if he would have declared this year but I believe thats due to the lack of NBA talent in this years draft. (I mean there really isn't anybody in this years draft besides Big Blake) I also think there's no way Willie will be here for senior year. My money says if WW improves just a few little things in the upcoming season he'll be a lottery pick for sure. But that's just my .02 cents.

sooners123
4/2/2009, 04:20 PM
Warren will more than likely be gone after next season, his production should increase tremendously, and he has the highlight reel already, ESPN had him projected in the lottery up until the tourney. Gallon has stated that he wants to be one or two and done, he has the potential to be a high draft pick if he proves his work ethic/attitude are in check. TMG though could be a Byron Eaton kind of player, 4 years and all, hopefully with a little more consistency early on though.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/2/2009, 04:21 PM
Also, I haven't seen enough from TMG or Tiny to say how many years they could start at OU. Way too early for that.

badger
4/2/2009, 04:48 PM
I applaud you for your attempts to liven this dead board... but... I don't see these guys sticking if they're good enough to start 4 years. :(

:) On the positive side, at least the savior of Zona Tim Floyd who is a solid, hard working, successful head coach in all of his previous and current endeavors, will be off saving Zona so that Capel does not have to, so we can be having this conversation. Did I mention that I think Floyd is the perfect person for the Zona job? FAR better than Capel.

John Kochtoston
4/2/2009, 04:48 PM
Gallon's awfully small for a center, as well.

Frozen Sooner
4/2/2009, 04:49 PM
The Supreme Court of the United States will only grant a writ of certiorari when a state decision is based on both state and federal law if the state law is either a) not sufficient in and of itself to support the ruling or b) the ruling under state law is based on an interpretation of federal law. It is presumed that state courts are the final arbiter of what their state laws are.

Long v. Michigan stated that the court reserves the right to make the determination if a state ruling is independent of an interpretation of a federal law. Long sued the State of Michigan under the Fourth and Fifth Amendments of the US Constitution, as well as similar provisions under the Michigan State Constitution. The Michigan Supreme Court held that the search of Long's vehicle was in violation of both the Michigan State Consitution and the US Constitution's substantively similar provisions against unreasonable search and seizure. The Supreme Court, in granting certorari, held that while the state-level ruling would be adequate to sustain the original holding, it was based on a misreading of federal law and was therefore not independent.

badger
4/2/2009, 04:56 PM
Long v. Michigan stated that the court reserves the right to make the determination if a state ruling is independent of an interpretation of a federal law.

This bored be dead :(

Frozen Sooner
4/2/2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah, ****, I got that caption wrong. It should be Michigan v. Long. Long won the initial suit at state court and Michigan appealed.

soonerfan28
4/2/2009, 05:50 PM
Gallon's awfully small for a center, as well.

Yea, but he can shoot. He'll be a 4 at the next level.

John Kochtoston
4/2/2009, 06:05 PM
Yea, but he can shoot. He'll be a 4 at the next level.

Agree there, though I think he might spend some time at 5. Perhaps even 3, if OU decides they need to go big.

King Crimson
4/2/2009, 06:29 PM
Gallon has about the same chance to play the 3 as I do.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/2/2009, 07:30 PM
My crystal ball might need recalibrated but my thinking is if TMG, Warren and Gallon turn out like I think they will then

1. Warren's gone after next year
2. Gallon probably is a 2-year guy
3. Mason-Griffin could be a 4-year guy

Part of bringing in Gacyburger AA's is that you are going to get guys that leave early. My thinking is if Capel can show a track record of sending guys like Griffin, Warren, Gallon, etc early to the NBA it will only help bringing more in.

John Kochtoston
4/2/2009, 09:09 PM
Gallon has about the same chance to play the 3 as I do.

Oh, I don't think it will be a regular thing. But, if we need to go big for some reason, I could see us throwing Gallon out at the three, Wright at the 4 and Allen at Center. Gallon, in that scenario, would be more like a second power forward, that could step out and hit shots. His defense wouldn't be good enough to keep him there very long, though.

starclassic tama
4/2/2009, 09:34 PM
My thinking is if Capel can show a track record of sending guys like Griffin, Warren, Gallon, etc early to the NBA it will only help bringing more in.

good point

Readyfor8
4/2/2009, 10:23 PM
remember just because Gallon hit a 3 in the McD's AA game doesn't mean he can consistently do it, Blake had a few 3's this year and a decent percentage but he isn't a 3 shooter.

I personally look at Gallons three yesterday as a guy that is way better than the high school competition and can do anything he wants in that kind of game, but that doesn't mean he can do that at the College level. He probably would never play a 3 position at OU.

He is a bit short for an NBA 5, but he has the weight and the technical ability to box out well and get rebounds I think he can play a 5 on the next level, if he wants to play a 5, it may take the NBA 3 years of college to see if he can make it as a Center.

Oh and for those of you who think it is too early to tell, remember these kids were going to the NBA 5-6 years ago straight from college, Blake could have gone straight to the NBA out of High School but would probably not have been a lottery player unless he proved himself in College.

If this was 2000, Gallon I don't think would go pro from High School, TMG definitely wouldn't, Blake could have. I think both of these guys are 3 year guys if they don't have problems with or hate working to get the grades in college.

John Kochtoston
4/2/2009, 11:35 PM
remember just because Gallon hit a 3 in the McD's AA game doesn't mean he can consistently do it, Blake had a few 3's this year and a decent percentage but he isn't a 3 shooter.

Again, not saying it's going to happen, and that, even it does, it would only be on occasion, not as a regular lineup.

That said, he'd hit plenty of 3s before last night. Dude can shoot. I'll be the first to admit he'd be pretty useless as a perimeter defender, especially if another team played 3 guards.

75% of the time he's on the floor, he'll be a 4. Most, IF NOT ALL, of the rest of the time, he'll play center.

Readyfor8
4/3/2009, 12:07 AM
Again, not saying it's going to happen, and that, even it does, it would only be on occasion, not as a regular lineup.

That said, he'd hit plenty of 3s before last night. Dude can shoot. I'll be the first to admit he'd be pretty useless as a perimeter defender, especially if another team played 3 guards.

75% of the time he's on the floor, he'll be a 4. Most, IF NOT ALL, of the rest of the time, he'll play center.

True and true, and just because you have a name derived from Fletch I give you a pass. However, once again remember shooting the 3 on a consistent basis is different from shooting the occasional 3 vs. people playing guard in College.

Although I would be interested in seeing a practical 5 playing defense against a 3 who can't drive in College, that dude would have to be intimidated.

Readyfor8
4/3/2009, 12:09 AM
You would think if he lost 20-30 more pounds, Gallon would have the footwork to play D on the perimeter.

Have I mentioned I'm in drunkytown?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/3/2009, 08:29 AM
Gallon caught, turned and shot from 23' and drained that shot. If you watched him he wasn't throwing up some prayer. He took the shot like it was routine to him. He IS a shooter, size notwithstanding. As for matching up with players outside, he won't be asked to do it unless he is playing another 4-5 type player that plays away from the basket. I don't know that we are going to call on him to shoot many 3's but it is obvious he can.

I see him on the defensive end matching up with the opponents 4-5 player and will do what most post players do in current college offenses, set some picks up high for the guards. Difference is he might be less of a pick and roll guy and more of a guy who can pick and pop for an outside shot. He can do that while playing the 4-5 position.

Where Gallon's shooting skills should really serve him is on the foul line. He is an excellant FT shooter.

the_ouskull
4/3/2009, 08:31 AM
I applaud you for your attempts to liven this dead board... but... I don't see these guys sticking if they're good enough to start 4 years. :(

That's what I keep trying to tell people...

Sin,
Austin Johnson

badger
4/3/2009, 09:13 AM
Was AJ ever an McD's All-American?

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2009, 10:23 AM
I don't know that AJ's ever EATEN at McDonald's.

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2009, 10:23 AM
'Cause he's really skinny.

NormanPride
4/3/2009, 10:48 AM
*crickets*

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2009, 10:49 AM
This thing on?

badger
4/3/2009, 10:57 AM
This thing on?

The bored be ded again. This is what happens after we get all up in arms about a coach possibly leaving for wherever, only to be informed that it never was going to happen at all, tee hee. Now, all our energy expended earlier in the week, we're all boreded out. :rolleyes:

the_ouskull
4/3/2009, 02:05 PM
I was referring to the fact that AJ started for at least part of all four of his years at OU, yet, somehow, is not terribly likely to stick in the NBA. Weird. :D

the_ouskull

badger
4/3/2009, 02:30 PM
I was referring to the fact that AJ started for at least part of all four of his years at OU, yet, somehow, is not terribly likely to stick in the NBA. Weird. :D

the_ouskull

The word "part" sticks out here... that and the fact that we were talking about two Mickie D's and not AJ... but hey, it's all good.

the_oubadger :P

John Kochtoston
4/3/2009, 02:57 PM

the_ouskull

This is incorrect. Both Drenthe and Flevoland have expressed serious interest in AJ...

...by NBA, you do mean Netherlands Basketball Association, correct?

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2009, 03:09 PM
I'm sure it's already been suggested, but I'd really like to see "Run TMG" be Tommy Mason-Griffin's official nickname.

badger
4/3/2009, 03:13 PM
I'm sure it's already been suggested, but I'd really like to see "Run TMG" be Tommy Mason-Griffin's official nickname.

Frozo brings up a good point... we need nicknames for our new "Big Three." However, the name CANNOT be "Big 3" because that nickname has been overused and utterly sucks.

Please suggest your own nicknames for "MAKE WAY FOR WILLIE!" Warren, Tommy Boy-Mason-Griffin and Keith Not-very-tiny-so-why-do-we-call-him-"Tiny" Gallon. Nicknames can refer to them as a group or individuals.

EDIT: Perhaps AC/DC's TNT could be worked for our TMG instead? :D

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2009, 04:32 PM
"Big 12/National Champions" sounds like a good nickname for them.

John Kochtoston
4/3/2009, 06:55 PM
"Zeus" for Keith Gallon. From one Tiny to another...

http://www.areavoices.com/wrestling/images/thumbnail/zeus.jpg

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2009, 07:07 PM
Hopefully we can nip "Dub-dub" in the bud. Gah.

WW3? It'd be cooler if he wore three, I guess.

"MVP"
4/3/2009, 08:49 PM
Willie won't be staying for four years.

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2009, 02:55 AM
So when are we expected to find out what Blake Griffin is going to do?

"MVP"
4/4/2009, 06:37 PM
So when are we expected to find out what Blake Griffin is going to do?

I'll say that he's going. Why would he stay? He is already so NBA ready, easily the #1 pick, absolutely dominant, and as I've seen in the past with some players, if he really wants, he can take summer classes at OU.

John Kochtoston
4/5/2009, 01:09 AM
Hopefully we can nip "Dub-dub" in the bud. Gah.

WW3? It'd be cooler if he wore three, I guess.

Warren Peace?

Got nothin'.

OU_Sooners75
4/5/2009, 02:41 AM
I'll say that he's going. Why would he stay? He is already so NBA ready, easily the #1 pick, absolutely dominant, and as I've seen in the past with some players, if he really wants, he can take summer classes at OU.

This was not what I was asking. But thanks for you opinion. :)

I was asking when will he definitely tell us he is leaving or not.

But since you asked.

Reasons he would stay:

1. He is enjoying his college experience. Once you go pro you cannot come back to the collegiate level. Some players no matter how dominant stay.

2. His parents are not exactly strapped for cash. And both of his parents have stated they would like for him to finish college first.

3. If he is the #1 draft pick now. Most likely he would be when he decides to leave or when he graduates.

4. Maybe he is not finished with what he wants to accomplish at OU? Maybe he would like to make Wayman Tisdale #2 in the history of Sooner Basketball?

There are reasons for him to stay and go. I believe he has played his last game as a Sooner, like many of you do. However, many of us also thought Sam Bradford would be leaving too.

So, nobody really knows what his plans are except for him and those that are close to him.

Whatever he does, I hope he makes the right decision for him and I wish him the best of luck no matter what!

soonerfan28
4/5/2009, 09:16 AM
Blake will say something by the end of next wek in my opinion. I'm sure he already knows but he'll wait until after the college basketball world slows down a bit.

badger
4/5/2009, 03:56 PM
Blake will say something by the end of next wek in my opinion. I'm sure he already knows but he'll wait until after the college basketball world slows down a bit.

Has OU ever had a No. 1 over draft selection? In b4 someone incorrectly says "Tisdale," he was second behind some unknown dude that nobody's ever heard of (Patrick Ewing).

...and also in b4 someone points out that they've heard of Ewing. It's hard making a joke around here. :rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
4/5/2009, 04:12 PM
No OU player has been taken #1 overall.

starclassic tama
4/6/2009, 07:23 PM
gallon looked terrible against findlay on ESPN yesterday. looked like he didn't even care to be on the court. wasn't even trying on defense and on offense didn't even get down the court half the time. his team lost by 10. he has a long ways to go before he gets on the court in norman i'd imagine.

soonerfan28
4/6/2009, 07:41 PM
Gallon will start at OU next year. He has tremendous work ethic and great range. The only question will be if he starts at the 4 or the 5.

starclassic tama
4/7/2009, 01:12 PM
did you watch that findlay game?

badger
4/7/2009, 01:16 PM
gallon looked terrible against findlay on ESPN yesterday. looked like he didn't even care to be on the court. wasn't even trying on defense and on offense didn't even get down the court half the time. his team lost by 10. he has a long ways to go before he gets on the court in norman i'd imagine.

I wonder if this is similar to the senioritis that regular students go through - they've been in school 13 years, they've already gotten their application in to colleges and been accepted, but they still have to show up to Remedial English and Fun With Typing or Cooking with Mrs. Oldbag.

Don't be too quick to judge Gallon. Even if it isn't senioritis, it could have been the flu or a nagging injury that held him back when you saw him.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/7/2009, 02:42 PM

He has lost pretty much an Austin Johnson since this time last year. He has worked on getting in shape. I'll be suprised if he doesn't start day 1.

starclassic tama
4/7/2009, 03:54 PM
oh don't get me wrong i think the dude has loads of potential. i'm just saying he has a long ways to go before he is ready for D-1 basketball and from the game i saw he won't start from day 1. i could be wrong. findlay's coach even commented after the game how out of shape oak hill was and how they knew they had the advantage there. perhaps they played gallon too many minutes because at the end of the game he wasn't even bothering to get down the court. i guess i just expected him to dominate

soonerfan28
4/7/2009, 08:12 PM
**** the Findlay game. He showed up last Wed against the best talent in the nation and he had one bad game. HE WILL START FROM DAY 1!!!!!!!!!!!