PDA

View Full Version : Capel the leading candidate at Arizona?

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 02:02 PM
I just walked in and heard the end of Sportcenter and I swear I heard them say that Capel is the leading candidate at Arizona. Somebody please tell me I'm wrong.

Found this at East Valley Tribune

Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel has emerged as the leading candidate for the University of Arizona men's basketball job, the Tribune has learned.

A source said Wednesday that negotiations are ongoing between UA and Capel, and an announcement could come within the next couple of days.

Capel emerged as the frontrunner after Arizona's attempts to get John Calipari (who left Memphis for the Kentucky job) and Gonzaga's Mark Few were rebuffed.

Capel, 34, led Oklahoma to a 30-6 record and an Elite Eight appearance this season -- his third with the Sooners. Oklahoma also reached the NCAA tournament in 2007-08 before losing in the second round.

Prior to Oklahoma, Capel was the head coach at Virginia Commonwealth University for four years. When he took the job at age 27, he was the youngest head coach in Division I men's basketball.

Capel, a former four-year starter as a player at Duke from 1993-97, is 148-74 in seven years as a head coach, including 69-33 at Oklahoma

mxATVracer10
4/1/2009, 02:05 PM
just heard this on 1430 The Buzz also, but just assumed they were trying to pull an April fools joke. Hmmmmm

badger
4/1/2009, 02:10 PM
It's been reported only as a rumor at this moment. Zona would be a good job for Capel to have, no doubt, but I'm not sure that Capel would want to uproot his family and the support he gets from both the athletic department and from the other coaches. It's not every school where you see the football coach and his family in the crowd, or exchange coaching texts with the other basketball coach.

Alas, Capel's family is still young, so it wouldn't be too much to ask to move now, before the girls are involved in school. Plus, another Coach Stoops is at Zona, so that might relieve a little sport-to-sport tensions, if any. Stay tuned...

Sooner FLiP
4/1/2009, 02:12 PM
just got a text about this from ESPN. they are in negotiations? dont go coach.

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 02:14 PM
Joe C will have to match it at this point.

badger
4/1/2009, 02:15 PM
Joe C will have to match it at this point.

There were a lot of butts in seats these past few seasons and a lot of television time to go with it (thank you, Blake Griffin). Methinks there will be money in the coffer to keep Capel.

EDIT: A link to your quoted stuff above - Capel fell in to the rumor mill of hire (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/137385). It churns, churns, churns, that rumor hire. That rumor hire.

It's only one report. It's probably as preliminary as the Florida Fox station saying Billy D was going to UK. :rolleyes:

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 02:20 PM
I know that when you have a good coach you're gonna have people after him every year, but if he is going to use openings every year to get more money then do we want him to stay? I'm just saying why can't we just get a coach who we'll say "I'm not going anywhere", I like it here". It seems like it's always about the money and I hate worrying every single year.

Just give him the money now and if this happens next year then let him go. I'm not saying that we shouldn't pay him. I'm just saying that he should want to stay here.

badger
4/1/2009, 02:26 PM
I know that when you have a good coach you're gonna have people after him every year, but if he is going to use openings every year to get more money then do we want him to stay? I'm just saying why can't we just get a coach who we'll say "I'm not going anywhere", I like it here". It seems like it's always about the money and I hate worrying every single year.

He's young and he doesn't make as much as top coaches yet, but he does what a lot of top coaches do - get top talent, have successful regular seasons and postseasons. I don't blame him for leveraging contract negotiations with other schools wanting him. He's got a family to take care of too.

Lott's Bandana
4/1/2009, 02:38 PM
April Fools?

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 02:40 PM
He's young and he doesn't make as much as top coaches yet, but he does what a lot of top coaches do - get top talent, have successful regular seasons and postseasons. I don't blame him for leveraging contract negotiations with other schools wanting him. He's got a family to take care of too.

Every year?

badger
4/1/2009, 02:43 PM
Every year?

Yes, he has to take care of his family every year :P

I don't think that this will keep up every year into eternity, but if you recall our earlier Stoops years, back when he was young and sought after by the NFL, it did seem like every year that he was being targeted by various schools.

I expect the Capel stuff to continue for a few more years, just because we hired him early in his coaching career and because we gave him his first major head coaching gig, much like we gave Stoops his first major head coaching gig. The only difference, unfortunately, is that OU football > OU basketball on the legacy/tradition side :(

SoonerShark
4/1/2009, 02:45 PM
Capel is in Tuscon cactus shopping with Mike Stoops as we speak. Our new coach is already in place, and the gutsy hire of the Gotebo girl's coach, Becki Lignite-Bituminous , who is also an English teacher. The unconventional route helped with Sherri Coale so the men's team is going that route. We have gone with crazy (Billy Tubbs), native American (Kelvin Sampson) and African American (Jeff Caple). Now we are going for stiletto high heels, part deux.

Ton Loc
4/1/2009, 02:49 PM
Arizona is, in my opinion, OVERRATED. That's all I have right now as I am too lazy to actually bring up stats and whatnot.

SoonerShark
4/1/2009, 02:53 PM
The only difference, unfortunately, is that OU football > OU basketball on the legacy/tradition side :(

Every University that is historically good at football has basketball as a second tier men's sport. If Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas or the like had the football success of a Texas, USC or Oklahoma the student body would not sit in the cold overnight to get front row seats at basketball games. That's the fact, Jack. Even Florida is a Johnny Come Lately insofar as sustained football success, although their fans wrongly think they have been good forever.

OU would have been a 20 point or more favorite over each of the other 15 participants in the Sweet Sixteen this year. KU and Missouri might possibly be the exceptions if the football games were on their home fields.

OUbasketball4life
4/1/2009, 02:55 PM
I hope this is just a way for coach capel to get a bigger raise. He has a top 5 recruiting class coming in (altough that might notmatter...see coach cal) but I really hope he stays for a few more years he is turning our basketball program around. If he leaves well be starting all over. Please stay coach!!!

badger
4/1/2009, 02:57 PM
Arizona is, in my opinion, OVERRATED. That's all I have right now as I am too lazy to actually bring up stats and whatnot.

I'm afraid they don't suck totally :(

They won a title in 1997 and were runner's up in 2001. They were in the Final Four four times overall (from 1988 to 2001). Basically, that means that unlike OU, all of their winning tradition is under a single head coach, Lute Olsen.

I also don't think Arizona has the resources Oklahoma does as far as sports go. It will be interesting to follow. Stay tuned...

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 03:01 PM
I know that Arizona has had success in basketball, but what do they have next year that will make them good. Budinger will more then likely turn pro and the only other decent recruit that's still there is Jamelle Horne. You have Mason-Griffin and Gallon coming here next year and I pray if he leaves that they stay and we don't have the KS situation all over again.

I know that I'm jumping the gun bigtime, but we have had some nice success and it would be nice to continue that with Capel as the coach.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/1/2009, 03:03 PM
Capel is in Tuscon cactus shopping with Mike Stoops as we speak. Our new coach is already in place, and the gutsy hire of the Gotebo girl's coach, Becki Lignite-Bituminous , who is also an English teacher. The unconventional route helped with Sherri Coale so the men's team is going that route. We have gone with crazy (Billy Tubbs), native American (Kelvin Sampson) and African American (Jeff Caple). Now we are going for stiletto high heels, part deux.Rut-Roh, we shoulda gone after Pat Summit to coach the men!:eek:

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 03:04 PM
If Blake were to stay would that sway Capel's decision at all?

SoonerStud615
4/1/2009, 03:05 PM
Capel's press conference to announce his leaving for the Arizona job is on today at 4:30 immediately following the Stoops resignation press conference.

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 03:06 PM
So when do we see Joe C's resignation?

badger
4/1/2009, 03:18 PM
So when do we see Joe C's resignation?

Right after the Sherri Coale resignation press conference. Yes, Coach Coale is resigning today along with Joe, Jeff and Bob despite the fact that her season is not over. Bubba volunteered to take over coaching duties - he figured it would cut down on how many times national tee vee shows him during games.

SoonerTroll
4/1/2009, 03:27 PM
O son of a B! I just got an update text saying he's the top candidate.. add that to the fact that both our McD's All Americans said they too would leave if Capel left in response to the Memphis players.. Hella' Lame...

Hotrod3157
4/1/2009, 03:51 PM
Knew he was going to get offers this offseason. Hopefully Joe C can pay enough to keep Capel in Norman. LNC was packed for most of the season and the basketball following was just getting fired up again don't wanna see it stopped.

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 04:16 PM
I was listening to the Doug Gottlieb show and he had someone on who said that Capel is not the guy at Arizona, but now the word is Memphis is calling and if they were willing to match Kentucky for Calipari then we got no shot.

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 04:17 PM
Any idea what Joe C will offer? I say 1.6 to 1.8, but nothing over that.

badger
4/1/2009, 04:27 PM
I take back what I said about the OU program making money. It ran a huge deficit in 07-08 (Expenses: $4.2 million. Revenue: $2.7 million). I would anticipate 08-09 being closer to breaking even, but I'm not sure. Those stats aren't available yet. Of course, Capel made less in 07-08 than he does now (he used to make $750k), so that factors in too, I guess.

Right now, Capel makes $1.05 mil per season. This is less than OSU, Mizzou, A&M, Texas and of course, KU's Self off his championship season. He had better seasons than most of those guys. Time for the checkbook to show how much Elite Eight Elitism is worth.

SoonerShark
4/1/2009, 04:30 PM
If Blake were to stay would that sway Capel's decision at all?

Blake is transferring to Arizona. He will then sit out the transfer year so he can hone his skills, coming back for his junior and senior years.

Collier11
4/1/2009, 04:32 PM
Zona is not a great bball school, they are a really good one just like OU. This is a lateral move and would make no sense for Capel

Jello Biafra
4/1/2009, 04:32 PM
lol...this is comical. their "tradition" has them winning as many pac 10 titles as OU has big xii titles since 2000

SoonerShark
4/1/2009, 04:35 PM
Jeff Capel will work for $1.00 per year in Arizona. It is such an honor to be considered that Coach Capel took the job for basically nothing. He can still go to womens' games in Tuscon and sit with a football coach named Stoops.

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 04:36 PM
Zona is not a great bball school, they are a really good one just like OU. This is a lateral move and would make no sense for Capel

Yea, but you also don't have to battle for fans w/one of the best football coaches in the nation. No offense to Mike. And if they'll pay 2 million or more then it will be tough for us to keep him.

While searching for coaching salaries I ran across a USA Today article saying that one time Tom Izzo got a bonus of 9.8 million. No Joke.

badger
4/1/2009, 04:39 PM
Blake is transferring to Arizona. He will then sit out the transfer year so he can hone his skills, coming back for his junior and senior years.

We'll be spending the money that we were spending on Capel on convincing Ma and Pa Griffin to have some more basketball players... I mean... um... sons/daughters :D

oumartin
4/1/2009, 04:40 PM
i really don't think Zona will go after Capel. just my opinion.

Now, other schools will for sure.

Anyhow, lets pay up.

oh, and btw. UCONNs basketball made 6million this year

SoonerShark
4/1/2009, 04:44 PM
The Tuscon newspaper mentioned Rick Pitino, who was not mentioned in the article that started this thread.

badger
4/1/2009, 04:49 PM
While searching for coaching salaries I ran across a USA Today article saying that one time Tom Izzo got a bonus of 9.8 million. No Joke.

Congress would not approve of the meat chicken (state) auto industry giving out such a huge bonus to an executive. Surely this will force him into resignation :rolleyes:

w0lfe
4/1/2009, 05:01 PM
Inside source, not gonna mention the name. But he currently has an offer from Georgia and Arizona is offering 2 million.

badger
4/1/2009, 05:05 PM
You know how Zona had an interim head coach this past season that took them to the Sweet 16? You know how this guy used to be an assistant and was a last second replacement from retiring Lute? He's bitter. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4031826) :rolleyes:

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 05:05 PM
Congress would not approve of the meat chicken (state) auto industry giving out such a huge bonus to an executive. Surely this will force him into resignation :rolleyes:
The way I understood it was that it was in the past.

oumartin
4/1/2009, 05:08 PM
well if he leaves I wish him well. I will root for him.

so who coaches OU next? skull?

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 05:11 PM
Russ Pennell

"One of the things that is going to hurt Arizona for awhile is, basically, there have been three years missed on recruiting when you get right down to it," Pennell said. "Not that they didn't sign some good guys, they just didn't show up. So you've got some repairs to make in the recruiting world before Arizona can really get back to being Arizona."

He's bitter, but he's also right. After looking at what they've brought in over the last 3 years they're basically gonna start w/nothing. The two best players they had over that span are Bayless and Budinger and Bayless left last year and more then likely Budinger will be gone this year.

badger
4/1/2009, 05:18 PM
So basically, Arizona will be a fixer upper with a lot of demanding fans with little patience.

Hmm...

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 05:20 PM
Sounds like B. Gillispie at Kentucky.

yukonmiller
4/1/2009, 05:30 PM
I say we hire papa Griffin and give him a one year contract.

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 05:40 PM
From the Norman Transcript
UPDATED: Early Reports of Capel Negotiations Erroneous

By John Shinn
April 01, 2009 05:40 pm

NORMAN — Arizona is interested in making Jeff Capel its next head coach. But early reports Capel is already in negations to leave Oklahoma appear to be erroneous.

Wednesday afternoon the East Valley (Ariz.) Tribune reported on its Web site Capel had already begun talks to become the Wildcats' next head coach. Citing an anonymous source, the paper said Capel's hiring could be announced within "the next couple days."

Wednesday afternoon, a source close to the Sooner basketball program who would only speak on the condition of anonymity said Capel has had no contact with Arizona as of Wednesday afternoon.

Capel was at the OU basketball offices Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning. He boarded a plane for Detroit in the afternoon where he will attend several banquets in conjunction with OU forward Blake Griffin receiving national player of the year awards and the Final Four in the next few days.

Arizona got in the market for a coach a week ago. Longtime coach Lute Olson resigned prior to the season and Russ Pennell served as interim head coach this season. The Wildcats, who went to four Finals Fours (1988, '94, '97, 2001) and won the 1997 national championship under Olson, decided Pennell wouldn't return after they went 21-14.

According to the report, Arizona first made overtures to John Calipari, who left Memphis to go to Kentucky today, and to Gonzaga coach Mark Few about the job. Both coaches rebuffed the offers.

Capel, who just completed his third season at OU, guided the Sooners to a 30-6 record and an Elite Eight appearance this season. The Sooners also reached the NCAA tournament in 2007-08 before losing in the second round.

Messages left for Capel and OU athletic director Joe Castiglione were not immediately returned.

This isn't the first time Capel has been a player on the coaching carousel. Last year, South Carolina made it known it would like to lure him away.

Rumors flew last week that Virginia and Georgia wanted to reel the 34-year-old coach away from Norman, too. Capel didn't do much to quell those rumors.

"Write what you want. I don't care," he said Sunday following the Sooners' loss to North Carolina. "My name has been mentioned every year I've been a head coach. I'm not getting into that. I can't do anything about who writes my name or who mentions it in certain things. I just concentrate on what I do."

Virginia hired Tony Bennett away from Washington State Monday. Georgia is still in the market. So is Memphis. All, seemingly, are willing to pay big for coaches despite the recession.

Capel, who signed a six-year deal following last season that pays him $1.05 million annually plus bonuses, also has a $600,000 stay bonus that is payable at the conclusion of the 2013-14 season.

Of course, that bolded part could mean that Jeff's agent has been in contact with Arizona...:(

w0lfe
4/1/2009, 05:42 PM
yea, even though he has the big contracts in front of him , I think he stays. Ill let you know if my buddy tells me anything else. He said Capel has been out of the office all day though.

SoonerShark
4/1/2009, 05:42 PM
I say we hire papa Griffin and give him a one year contract.

Two years.

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 05:43 PM
Two years.
Unless he's poppin out Blake clones like Gremlins then we'll be fine without him.

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 05:44 PM
yea, even though he has the big contracts in front of him , I think he stays. Ill let you know if my buddy tells me anything else. He said Capel has been out of the office all day though.

He's supposedly in Detroit to go to a bunch of trophy presentations for Blake.

John Kochtoston
4/1/2009, 05:45 PM
Dude in Arizona that broke the story in Phoenix is on 1430 the Buzz right now. Saying Capel's not the frontrunner, and 'Zona is zeroing in on Tim Floyd.

SoonerShark
4/1/2009, 05:46 PM
The Capels daughter, Cameron, who wants to attend Duke won't graduate high school until 2024 or so and she's really close to all of her friends in Norman and her parents, so she will be here until at least then.

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 05:48 PM
Dude in Arizona that broke the story in Phoenix is on 1430 the Buzz right now. Saying Capel's not the frontrunner, and 'Zona is zeroing in on Tim Floyd.

Re: Capel not being the front-runner

Whew!

Re: Tim Floyd

WTF? You're going to give that guy a 90-mile run to the border and cheap tequila?

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 05:52 PM
East Dumbass Tribune still hasn't updated there website yet.

w0lfe
lol that sounds pretty strange. I'm not overly impressed with Floyd. But he does have contracts on his desk. This i know for sure. I think Joe C should up his pay. I am kinda shocked some of the other Big 12 coaches are making more

SoonerShark

It would be crummy to take a coach from another conference member, USC. It is almost as crappy as Damion James going to Texas when he reneged on his letter of intent with OU then went to another conference member. There should be something in the contracts that the person changing teams cannot go to another conference member within five years without express, written consent of the team that lost said coach.

4/1/2009, 06:07 PM
It would be crummy to take a coach from another conference member, USC. It is almost as crappy as Damion James going to Texas when he reneged on his letter of intent with OU then went to another conference member. There should be something in the contracts that the person changing teams cannot go to another conference member within five years without express, written consent of the team that lost said coach.Better yet, a law saying if OU wants you, you'd be a fool to say no.

Collier11
4/1/2009, 06:11 PM
Breaking News! If Capel does accept the job at zona, Joe C. will make a hard run at Scott Drew.

the_ouskull
4/1/2009, 06:16 PM

WTF? You're going to give that guy a 90-mile run to the border and cheap tequila?

I mean, if he's going to go anyway... you may as well get him a job that's closer to the border so that he can get back in time for practices.

Re: oumartin

I wouldn't take the OU job. I have too much respect for my school and its athletic programs. Am I a good coach? Yeah, I'm not bad. Am I ready for big-time, division one, college basketball? Oh, f*ck no. No doubt in my mind. I'm about as ready for it as you are to finish answering the questions I asked you a few days ago.

the_ouskull

John Kochtoston
4/1/2009, 06:19 PM
Re: Capel not being the front-runner

Whew!

Yeah, Tim Floyd sounded weird to me, too. This EVT reporter seems to be from the "We Report, You Decide" School of Journalism. But, no one else picked up the Capel-to-'Zona story, so I think that's kind of a non-starter.

It wouldn't shock me if Memphis made a serious run at Capel, though.

w0lfe
4/1/2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.newscred.com/article/show/title/is-mark-few-next-arizona-coach-49d390dd2bcf5/1352852

INTERESTING

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 06:30 PM
And that, really, makes a lot of sense. Other than that it was pretty widely thought that Few was heading to Oregon and he's kind of a big PNW guy. I know Few's looking to get out of Spocan't and wants to stay close to the West Coast. Gonzaga's been built pretty much to the highest level it can expect. Arizona has a MUCH higher ceiling.

Of course, now that leaves Oregon and Nike looking for a head coach...

OUstud
4/1/2009, 06:31 PM
http://www.newscred.com/article/show/title/is-mark-few-next-arizona-coach-49d390dd2bcf5/1352852

INTERESTING

Reported by a guy named Shane Bacon, it has to be true! :D

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah, Tim Floyd sounded weird to me, too. This EVT reporter seems to be from the "We Report, You Decide" School of Journalism. But, no one else picked up the Capel-to-'Zona story, so I think that's kind of a non-starter.

It wouldn't shock me if Memphis made a serious run at Capel, though.

Going to Memphis would be a step down.

Memphis was never anything before Calipari...and they will not be without him now.

Soonerus
4/1/2009, 06:40 PM
This is being reported as an April fools hoax...

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 06:43 PM

Memphis was never anything before Calipari...and they will not be without him now.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/theondeckcircle/penny1.jpg

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 06:45 PM
It appears Few has pulled his name from consideration at Arizona.

John Kochtoston
4/1/2009, 06:47 PM

Memphis was pretty darn good in the 1980s (as evil alter ego Memphis State). They also have a much easier road to the NCAAs, and play in a brand-new arena. Plus, there's nothing else for Memphis boosters to spend their $$$ on, and they seemed more than willing to go dollar-for-dollar with UK.

If he's offered a significant amount more than OU would offer, then it's not a step down. A lateral move, maybe.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2009, 07:14 PM
Memphis was pretty darn good in the 1980s (as evil alter ego Memphis State). They also have a much easier road to the NCAAs, and play in a brand-new arena. Plus, there's nothing else for Memphis boosters to spend their $$$ on, and they seemed more than willing to go dollar-for-dollar with UK.

If he's offered a significant amount more than OU would offer, then it's not a step down. A lateral move, maybe.

This discussion point is not even close. Historically speaking, OU has the better program...and in case you forget, OU had a pretty damn good decade in the 1980s as well.

;)

Sometimes, it is not about the money. We all know the Memphis Boosters are going to help fork out the money...but I guarantee they are also forking out some for the players too.

John Kochtoston
4/1/2009, 07:25 PM
I'm well aware that OU had a good decade in the 1980s. I'm also well aware of who knocked OU and Wayman Tisdale out of the 1985 NCAAs.

Sure, OU has a much better history on the court, but that's not the only thing that makes a great program. If it was, why would any football player choose a Florida school instead of Notre Dame, or Oklahoma?

I'd say, everything else being equal, OU is the better job, but if Memphis gives it's new coach twice as much as he's making somewhere else, that has to be considered.

SoonerTroll
4/1/2009, 07:58 PM
Okay I hope he stays because Gallon and Mason-Griffin look pretty good and I think they are gone if Capel goes.

bluedogok
4/1/2009, 08:06 PM
I take back what I said about the OU program making money. It ran a huge deficit in 07-08 (Expenses: $4.2 million. Revenue: $2.7 million). I would anticipate 08-09 being closer to breaking even, but I'm not sure. Those stats aren't available yet. Of course, Capel made less in 07-08 than he does now (he used to make $750k), so that factors in too, I guess.

Right now, Capel makes $1.05 mil per season. This is less than OSU, Mizzou, A&M, Texas and of course, KU's Self off his championship season. He had better seasons than most of those guys. Time for the checkbook to show how much Elite Eight Elitism is worth.
Would the deficit for 08 have anything to do with Stoops one-time retention bonus? For the most part they have been running a profit most years.

badger
4/1/2009, 08:09 PM
Would the deficit for 08 have anything to do with Stoops one-time retention bonus? For the most part they have been running a profit most years.

I'll assume you're joking if you think the entire OU athletics expenses was less than $5 mil. Those figures refer solely to men's basketball. Football is a cash cow. Hail, football. There are other profitable sports too, like women's basketball.

4/1/2009, 08:23 PM
Watching(kind of) the McDonalds All America game, one of the announcers just mentioned Capel still being considered for AZ(U of A) This was at approx. 6:20PDT

Eielson
4/1/2009, 08:34 PM
Two different threads have been started on goazcats.com saying that Tim Floyd is their new head coach. Nothing to make it official, though.

Eielson
4/1/2009, 08:36 PM
Actually, it seems like there are more than two...and they all seem to be mad about it.

Eielson
4/1/2009, 08:40 PM
Pfft, I wasn't doubting my sources or anything...

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah, either they all believe Tim Floyd is the coach and hate him already, or they're doing a really good job on an April Fool's joke on us.

oumartin
4/1/2009, 08:47 PM
who in their right mind would wanna live in Arizona. Doesn't the sun shine there all the time? who wants that.

Seamus
4/1/2009, 08:49 PM
Better yet, a law saying if OU wants you, you'd be a fool to say no.

Trouble is, there's no shortage of people who revel in being fools. Nickelback fans, for instance ;)

oumartin
4/1/2009, 08:51 PM
Trouble is, there's no shortage of people who revel in being fools. Nickelback fans, for instance

OH NO YOU DENT!

Bosley
4/1/2009, 08:51 PM
No mention of Capel.

http://tinyurl.com/cnqxt7

Seamus
4/1/2009, 08:55 PM
who in their right mind would wanna live in Arizona. Doesn't the sun shine there all the time? who wants that.

Gila monsters.

oumartin
4/1/2009, 08:55 PM
well even so, Memphis is open

bullnoob
4/1/2009, 09:25 PM
espnradio.com just said that Tim Floyd has been named coach at 'zona

OU-HSV
4/1/2009, 09:28 PM
Well, here's an article on the front page of the Tulsa World's Website. Still no hard core facts though. I just don't see him leaving for AZ...he has too good a thing going in Norman right now.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090401_92_0_NORMAN74025

colleyvillesooner
4/1/2009, 10:03 PM
link on ESPN.com says the same thing...USC's Floyd to AZ.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2009, 10:19 PM
i was hoping he would go so we could score larry eustachy

Lott's Bandana
4/1/2009, 10:22 PM
i was hoping he would go so we could score larry eustachy

I heard Billy today on the radio say today's college basketball is booooooooooorrrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggg.

Gotta love Billy.

Salt City Sooner
4/1/2009, 10:27 PM
Arizona to hire Tim Floyd
April 1st, 2009 @ 6:51pm by Adam Green/Sports 620 KTAR

It appears the Arizona Wildcats have finally filled their head coaching vacancy.

Sports 620 KTAR's Mark Asher has learned that Tim Floyd has been chosen to take over the program, becoming the team's fourth coach in the last four years.

Asher said that Floyd arrived in Tucson Wednesday afternoon via private jet, and is currently meeting with Arizona Athletic Director Jim Livengood, presumably going over final details of a contract.

Floyd most recently was the head coach at USC, where he guided the Trojans to an 85-50 record over four seasons, including a 22-13 record last season.

Floyd, who is known as an excellent recruiter, could bring some players with him to Tucson this year.

Forwards Solomon Hill and Renaldo Sydney have both given verbal commitments to USC, but neither has signed a letter of intent to play for the school. Hill had given a verbal commitment to Arizona before Lute Olson retired due to health reasons.

Floyd is well-traveled as a coach. He got his first head coaching job in 1986 with the University of Idaho, where he guided the Vandals to a 35-25 record over two seasons.

After leaving Idaho, Floyd coached at the University of New Orleans, where he tallied a 127-58 mark in six seasons as the head coach.

In 1994 Floyd took over at Iowa State University, becoming the 15th basketball coach in the school's history. Floyd is the only coach in the school's history to lead the team to three-straight 20-win seasons.

Floyd then left the college game to test the NBA's coaching waters, where he took over the Chicago Bulls. The Bulls, having lost stars Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman, had records of 13-37 (lockout-shortened season), 17-65, 15-67 and 4-21 before Floyd resigned in December 2001.

Floyd did get another chance in the NBA when the New Orleans Hornets hired him in 2003, but he was dismissed after one season in which the team went 41-41, losing in the first round of the playoffs.

http://ktar.com/sports/?sid=1113538&nid=25

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 10:43 PM
*whew*

Nothing to see here folks.

sooner518
4/1/2009, 10:48 PM
why would arizona want Tim Floyd? what has this guy ever done????

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 10:52 PM
why would arizona want Tim Floyd? what has this guy ever done????

Dude. Shush until they've signed the contract.

DMAFB_Sooner08
4/1/2009, 10:52 PM
Gila monsters.

or these

http://www.javelinahunter.com/javelina_university.htm

sooner518
4/1/2009, 11:02 PM
Dude. Shush until they've signed the contract.

What a brilliant hire!!! Floyd is a hidden gem amongst college basketball coaches!! He has NBA experience and he can recruit the bigtime recruits!!!! They hit a home run with this one!!!!! ;) ;)

4/1/2009, 11:24 PM
What a brilliant hire!!! Floyd is a hidden gem amongst college basketball coaches!! He has NBA experience and he can recruit the bigtime recruits!!!! They hit a home run with this one!!!!! ;) ;)Capel must have told them to go sit on a Cholla!

SoonerShark
4/1/2009, 11:49 PM
Capel wants to be a graduate assistant in Tuscon.

badger
4/2/2009, 09:00 AM
Congrats to Arizona for hiring Tim Floyd, former coach of the SIX TIME NBA CHAMPION Chicago Bulls.

To have a coach of his prestige, one who once led Jordan's Bulls, coach the Wildcats, should bring excitement and validity to the Arizona program for years to come.

The fact that he is now coaching at USC, a program that frequently makes national headlines every fall, shows that he can handle the pressure of being at a school where media is often present.

;)

ouleaf
4/2/2009, 11:26 AM
Congrats to Arizona for hiring Tim Floyd, former coach of the SIX TIME NBA CHAMPION Chicago Bulls.

To have a coach of his prestige, one who once led Jordan's Bulls, coach the Wildcats, should bring excitement and validity to the Arizona program for years to come.

The fact that he is now coaching at USC, a program that frequently makes national headlines every fall, shows that he can handle the pressure of being at a school where media is often present.

;)

Very Funny, but April Fools was yesterday.

soonerfan28
4/2/2009, 11:39 AM
No the way she worded is correct. She's not saying that he led Jordan or the Bulls to any of those championships.

4/2/2009, 12:03 PM

;)and, I bet you wish him moderate success-enough to keep his job.

badger
4/2/2009, 12:09 PM
Very Funny, but April Fools was yesterday.

What ever are you talking about, Mr. Leaf? Did you know that "Timothy The Great" (as another school in our conference called him) posted 49 wins as coach of the Chicago Bulls? That's FOUR MORE WINS than your Dallas Mavericks have right now!

What makes Tim Floyd the perfect fit for Arizona is the fact that Floyd knows what college basketball stars value: the NBA. Much like Floyd's coaching geared O.J. Mayo to apply for the NBA Draft after one season of college basketball, many of Arizona's alumni followed similar paths which cut short the college career in favor of the NBA, including Mike Bibby and Jerryd Bayless. I think we can expect more NBA draft early entries out of Arizona coach Tim Floyd.

badger
4/2/2009, 12:11 PM
and, I bet you wish him moderate success-enough to keep his job.

I will settle for him just getting the job for the time being, keeping the job can come later. I just really, strongly, excitedly think that Arizona and Tim Floyd are the perfect match and they should not pursue any other coaches from any other schools. Don't you all really, strongly, excitedly agree with me?

Sooner95
4/3/2009, 06:14 AM
So much for that. Floyd is staying at USC.

EDIT; didn't see the other thread..anyhow..I don't see Capel leaving. He has some good recruits coming in.