PDA

View Full Version : Will Baylor go to a bowl game, this year?

JLEW1818
4/1/2009, 09:59 AM
gonna be close, they get tech at home... that might be the winner.

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 10:04 AM
Yes and I say they finish ahead of Tech and A&M.

9-5-09 at Wake Forest Toss up
9-19-09 CONNECTICUT W
9-26-09 NORTHWESTERN STATE W
10-3-09 KENT STATE W
10-10-09 at Oklahoma L
10-17-09 at Iowa State W
10-24-09 OKLAHOMA STATE L
10-31-09 NEBRASKA Toss up
11-7-09 at Missouri W
11-14-09 TEXAS L
11-21-09 at Texas A&M W
11-28-09 vs. TEXAS TECH W

Boomer.....
4/1/2009, 10:06 AM
I say no. They will probably get 5 wins. It could be close though.

badger
4/1/2009, 11:00 AM
They have come close too often. I say they non-bowl streak ends, while the losing-to-OU streak continues.

yermom
4/1/2009, 12:20 PM
i keep saying they will, but it never happens

i think they lose @Wake and probably lose to UConn

i don't really see them beating Nebraska or Mizzou, or really even Tech. and aTm isn't usually that easy at home

i think they are scheduling too tough of OOC games, it's not like they are going to have an easy road in conference. if they went Texas Tech or KState with the cupcake method they might make a bowl game sometime. if they only needed 2-3 wins in conference to get bowl eligible it would happen

SicEmBaylor
4/1/2009, 12:30 PM
i keep saying they will, but it never happens

i think they lose @Wake and probably lose to UConn

i don't really see them beating Nebraska or Mizzou, or really even Tech. and aTm isn't usually that easy at home

i think they are scheduling too tough of OOC games, it's not like they are going to have an easy road in conference. if they went Texas Tech or KState with the cupcake method they might make a bowl game sometime. if they only needed 2-3 wins in conference to get bowl eligible it would happen

We won't lose to UConn. We should have beat them last year and we almost did while breaking in a new coach and a true freshman QB that had started and played for a total of 2 games prior to that fresh out of high school.

We'll likely lose to WF though. Here is my season prediction:

WF: Loss
UConn: Win
NWSU: Win
Kent State: Win
OU: Loss
Iowa State: Win
OSU: Loss
Nebraska: Win
Missouri: Win
Texas: Loss
A&M: Win
Tech: Loss

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 01:35 PM
I could see the Tech game going Baylor's way. I know that Potts kid was a nice recruit, but if Baylor can find a defense then it will go to Baylor and if Wake was in Waco I would say it's Baylor's game.

badger
4/1/2009, 01:37 PM
Baylor, honey, if you stop sucking, which Big 12 team will get all the awesome non-conference opponents?

Curly Bill
4/1/2009, 05:38 PM
Holy carp jlew -- became a sponsor, already conducted a pole, and only two posts away from 6,000.

...and I answered NO, by the way.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2009, 05:49 PM
I will do more of a Big 12 Preview after Sprin Practices are finished. However, here is how I see the South falling in 2009:

1. Oklahoma
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma State
4. Baylor
5. Texas Tech
6. Texas A&M

The last three could be interchangeable. though. I do think Baylor will be much improved from last season. And I think Art Briles will use Robert Griffin more wisely.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2009, 05:51 PM
We won't lose to UConn. We should have beat them last year and we almost did while breaking in a new coach and a true freshman QB that had started and played for a total of 2 games prior to that fresh out of high school.

Baylor will have to win at least two of these games. The Nebraska game will be extremely tough for Baylor. At this point, I have them representing the North in the Big 12 Championship game. Missouri lost too much fire power so they look to be the easiest of the three.

I also think Tech will lose to the Bears.

Jacie
4/1/2009, 06:08 PM
The planets are aligning themselves for a Baylor bowl game this year. A couple of games the Bears would be expected to lose have the potential to be a W for Baylor and neither would be considered an upset.

The young but improved Bears will have a seasoned sophomore qb to lead the offense. The sand aggies will have a new qb for the first time in three years and will also be w/o Crabtree, while Mizzou has to replace Chase.

I don't see anyone except a Bear homer picking them over the nebbish, however. Bo knows football.

madillsoonerfan5353
4/2/2009, 09:56 PM
I will do more of a Big 12 Preview after Sprin Practices are finished. However, here is how I see the South falling in 2009:

1. Oklahoma
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma State
4. Baylor
5. Texas Tech
6. Texas A&M

The last three could be interchangeable. though. I do think Baylor will be much improved from last season. And I think Art Briles will use Robert Griffin more wisely.

I think the Bedlam game will decide the South!!!

OU_Sooners75
4/2/2009, 11:50 PM
I think the OU-OSU game will decide the South!!!

Why and how come?

Every year we hear about OSU this and OSU that.

They continue to set loftier goals than they can attain and the media pundits continue to listen and buy into it.

Okie Lite will finish with 2 losses when it comes to losses in the South Division.

The big 12 South once again will run through Norman and Austin and will be determined by the winner of the OU/Texass game!

OU-HSV
4/3/2009, 12:15 AM
I don't keep up with Baylor too much, but I do know that sophomore QB Griffin whatever his name is, he's going to make some big plays this year and help them win some games. For Baylor's sake, I hope they get to a bowl, they need it.

Readyfor8
4/3/2009, 12:25 AM
Let me ask an off-season scheduling question. Do you make more by going to a poor to lower tier bowl game, or by scheduling a tough non conference game? I guess it depends on your attendance, but I would imagine you make more money going away to teams like Georgia, where you get like 1.5 million than by scheduling terrible teams like La Tech, and making a terrible bowl game.

OSUAggie
4/3/2009, 12:41 AM
Why and how come?

They continue to set loftier goals than they can attain and the media pundits continue to listen and buy into it.

Okie Lite will finish with 2 losses when it comes to losses in the South Division.

The big 12 South once again will run through Norman and Austin and will be determined by the winner of the OU/Texass game!

So you have OSU @ 6-1 heading into Norman to play Oklahoma, who, I'll assume, you have 7-0 before the game.

Thus, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will be playing for ... the South - at least according to your predictions.

OU_Sooners75
4/3/2009, 12:49 AM
Let me ask an off-season scheduling question. Do you make more by going to a poor to lower tier bowl game, or by scheduling a tough non conference game? I guess it depends on your attendance, but I would imagine you make more money going away to teams like Georgia, where you get like 1.5 million than by scheduling terrible teams like La Tech, and making a terrible bowl game.

1.5 mill for a game is a lot to pay out.

Most of the time it is about 750K to 1 million for a team from a BCS Conference to travel to another BCS Conference teams place.

For the record...it would be better for a big 12 school in a crappy bowl game.

Last Year the Bowl Games that the Big 12 was represented at:
These are payouts for each team.
Insight Bowl - $1.20 Mil
Holiday Bowl - $2.13 Mil
Alamo Bowl - $2.25 Mil
Gator Bowl - $2.50 Mil
Cotton Bowl - $3 Mil
Fiesta Bowl - $17 Mil
Championship - $17 Mil

The Big 12 did not have enough slots, but We have a reserve spot in the Texas Bowl...it is the lowest pay out of $750,000 for the Big 12 team and $500,000 for the Big East team.

The Big 12 could also go to the Sun Bowl, that pay out is $1.9 Mil and/or the Independence Bowl. That pay out is $1.1 Mil

OU_Sooners75
4/3/2009, 12:54 AM
So you have OSU @ 6-1 heading into Norman to play Oklahoma, who, I'll assume, you have 7-0 before the game.

Thus, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will be playing for ... the South - at least according to your predictions.

For starters If OU is 7-0 and OSU is 6-1 going into the OU/OSU game and OSU wins...which they won't...that means there will be a 3 way tie for first in the south again.....meaning Texas will most likely get the championship...why? Because both OU and Texas will be ranked higher than OSU.

Sorry.

Finally...your reading skills are lacking....and I quote....

"Okie Lite will finish with 2 losses when it comes to losses in the South Division."

OSU will have a minimum of 3 losses in the Big 12...meaning they would be 5-2 in conference heading into the OU/OSU game. meaning if OU was 7-0, the OU/OSU game would not be for the big 12 south divisional championship.

Sorry.

OSUAggie
4/3/2009, 01:01 AM

If "you" in this situation is a B12 conference team, members split the bowl money evenly within the conference (regardless of participation) so it doesn't matter.

Also...

"You" would likely stay away from the 1-game contracts with opposing teams when you're the visitors, unless the AD is in dire need of some cash. I think the last 1-game contract that involved Oklahoma as the visiting team was the '99 Notre Dame game. Oklahoma State played a slew of them from '89-'95 with Ohio State, Florida, Miami, Michigan, and Tennessee due to the lack of money after the anal raping we took from the NCAA.

The home-and-home contracts with bigger name teams pay out best when they result in a national broadcast on the ESPN or ABC or whatever, because your piece of the Big XII TV $ pie gets a bit bigger. Otherwise, the exchange of money in those situations is either insignificant or non-existent.

OU_Sooners75
4/3/2009, 01:02 AM
If "you" in this situation is a B12 conference team, members split the bowl money evenly within the conference (regardless of participation) so it doesn't matter.

Also...

"You" would likely stay away from the 1-game contracts with opposing teams when you're the visitors, unless the AD is in dire need of some cash. I think the last 1-game contract that involved Oklahoma as the visiting team was the '99 Notre Dame game. Oklahoma State played a slew of them from '89-'95 with Ohio State, Florida, Miami, Michigan, and Tennessee due to the lack of money after the anal raping we took from the NCAA.

The home-and-home contracts with bigger name teams pay out best when they result in a national broadcast on the ESPN or ABC or whatever, because your piece of the Big XII TV $ pie gets a bit bigger. Otherwise, the exchange of money in those situations is either insignificant or non-existent.

That notre dame game was suppose to be a home and home...but Notre Dame realized OU was getting good again and chickened out of coming to Norman.

And if I am not mistaken, the Bowl money is not divided equally.

For instance, when we go to our annual BCS Bowl, OU receives 6 million and each of the other 11 schools receive 1 million.
The smaller the payout, the smaller sum each team gets, with the largest going to the school represented.

So basically the more schools we get eligible the better.

Also, in the BCS Bowls...last year, Texass did not earn us $17 million. I think they knock that down to 1 million for each school and texas got 2 million I think...but not real sure that set up...However, I did hear that a second BCS Bowl does not gain the entire payout for the conference.

OSUAggie
4/3/2009, 01:05 AM
For starters If OU is 7-0 and OSU is 6-1 going into the OU/OSU game and OSU wins...which they won't...that means there will be a 3 way tie for first in the south again.....meaning Texas will most likely get the championship...why? Because both OU and Texas will be ranked higher than OSU.

If OU is 11-0 (7-0), and a 10-1 (6-1) Oklahoma State team comes into Norman and beats the Sooners, OSU will finish ahead of both OU and Texas.

Finally...your reading skills are lacking....and I quote....

"Okie Lite will finish with 2 losses when it comes to losses in the South Division."

OSU will have a minimum of 3 losses in the Big 12...meaning they would be 5-2 in conference heading into the OU/OSU game. meaning if OU was 7-0, the OU/OSU game would not be for the big 12 south divisional championship.

Sorry.

Out of curiosity, which team from the North is going to beat Oklahoma State next year? Mizzou and Colorado at home, Iowa State in Ames.

OU_Sooners75
4/3/2009, 01:08 AM
If OU is 11-0 (7-0), and a 10-1 (6-1) Oklahoma State team comes into Norman and beats the Sooners, OSU will finish ahead of both OU and Texas.

Out of curiosity, which team from the North is going to beat Oklahoma State next year? Mizzou and Colorado at home, Iowa State in Ames.

Could be either one of them to be honest.

It is not like OSU is this great powerhouse...and it is like the Big 12 has a lot of parity.

But since you asked...I would say Colorado would be the more than likely culprit.

You are misunderstanding.....Which is normal for a OSU fan....

read my post again....

OSUAggie
4/3/2009, 01:15 AM
You are misunderstanding.....Which is normal for a OSU fan....

read my post again....

mmmk

So pay attention to:

But ignore:

OSU will have a minimum of 3 losses in the Big 12...

Gotcha.

tommieharris91
4/3/2009, 01:40 AM

If Texas is the team that beat you in that scenario, then we get a BCS tiebreaker again (unless they changed the rule and I missed it). At that point I think it would be razor-thin between OU and OSU mainly because Texas doesn't play anyone OOC again.

yermom
4/3/2009, 01:44 AM
That notre dame game was suppose to be a home and home...but Notre Dame realized OU was getting good again and chickened out of coming to Norman.

For instance, when we go to our annual BCS Bowl, OU receives 6 million and each of the other 11 schools receive 1 million.
The smaller the payout, the smaller sum each team gets, with the largest going to the school represented.

Also, in the BCS Bowls...last year, Texass did not earn us $17 million. I think they knock that down to 1 million for each school and texas got 2 million I think...but not real sure that set up...However, I did hear that a second BCS Bowl does not gain the entire payout for the conference.

the way i heard the Notre Dame thing was that it was only a one game deal. we weren't exactly tearing up college football when it was scheduled.

as for bowl payouts, my understanding is that the bowl money is split up 14 ways in the Big 12. two shares to the attending team, one to the conference, then one to each of the other schools

if the conference gets another team in a BCS game, they get a lesser amount. the last number i remember hearing was $4.5 million

OU_Sooners75
4/3/2009, 03:04 AM
mmmk

So pay attention to:

But ignore:

Gotcha.

Your aggie education, or lack there of, is failing you.

JLEW1818
4/3/2009, 10:17 AM
The pokes get texas at home on Halloween. I'm sure the whole game day thing will be there again. Crazy things will be happening that night in Stoolwater.......

Better question. Will the 2009 Pokes, be better than the 2008 Pirates ?

badger
4/3/2009, 10:33 AM
The pokes get texas at home on Halloween. I'm sure the whole game day thing will be there again. Crazy things will be happening that night in Stoolwater...
They could call it the Pumpkin Bowl or some crazy shizzle like that :rolleyes:

Quite honestly, the Pokes will not be a team on the rise this season. Come this fall, they will fall off their "heights" of last season. Worse still, they don't have a home game with OU to look forward to in order to promote ticket sales.

The game they're pimping this year at home, versus Georgia, will be their first of four losses this coming regular season. They will also lose to Texas at home, to Oklahoma on the road, and they will lay an uber egg against an opponent they are favored to beat. It will be comparable to the egg they laid on the road against Troy a few years ago - the "momma feeding him chicken" game with Bobby Reid on the sidelines. The egg laid will be of epic, OP.com meltdown proportions, and it will assuredly happen.

So, to recap, OSU will lose:

1- The Pimpin' Season Tix Game (Georgia)
2- The Pumpkin Bowl (Texas)
3- The Epic Egg Game (against an opponent OSU is favored to win)
4- The Bed Lamb Game (@ OU)

Unfortunately for the Pokes, a season with only four losses (instead of the usual 5-6) will also mean an almost-upper-tier-bowl game, like the Gator or Alamo. Thus, your seasonal record will be 8-5. Sorry, no double figured win column for you :P

What say you, OSU Aggie? :D

Salt City Sooner
4/3/2009, 11:29 AM

Yermom is right. '99 Notre Dame was a one game set (OU got $1 million for the trip), with an agreement for a future home/home, which is set for 2012 & 13.

JLEW1818
4/3/2009, 12:12 PM
They could call it the Pumpkin Bowl or some crazy shizzle like that :rolleyes:

Quite honestly, the Pokes will not be a team on the rise this season. Come this fall, they will fall off their "heights" of last season. Worse still, they don't have a home game with OU to look forward to in order to promote ticket sales.

The game they're pimping this year at home, versus Georgia, will be their first of four losses this coming regular season. They will also lose to Texas at home, to Oklahoma on the road, and they will lay an uber egg against an opponent they are favored to beat. It will be comparable to the egg they laid on the road against Troy a few years ago - the "momma feeding him chicken" game with Bobby Reid on the sidelines. The egg laid will be of epic, OP.com meltdown proportions, and it will assuredly happen.

So, to recap, OSU will lose:

1- The Pimpin' Season Tix Game (Georgia)
2- The Pumpkin Bowl (Texas)
3- The Epic Egg Game (against an opponent OSU is favored to win)
4- The Bed Lamb Game (@ OU)

Unfortunately for the Pokes, a season with only four losses (instead of the usual 5-6) will also mean an almost-upper-tier-bowl game, like the Gator or Alamo. Thus, your seasonal record will be 8-5. Sorry, no double figured win column for you :P

What say you, OSU Aggie? :D

I still think the loss to Oregon in the Holiday Bowl could carry over. We just need to make sure we take care of business in Dallas on the 17th of October. !!!

But it wouldn't hurt if some how we faced an undefeated Pokes team the last game of the year. That would be very interesting, but very unlikely.

OU_Sooners75
4/3/2009, 03:19 PM
Yermom is right. '99 Notre Dame was a one game set (OU got $1 million for the trip), with an agreement for a future home/home, which is set for 2012 & 13.

Nice thanks for the correction. I thought I heard about a home and home with Irish...thought it was suppose to take place in 1999 and 2001.

Jello Biafra
4/3/2009, 03:34 PM

and just when i start finding some respect for you....WTF?!?!? you pick your team to lose to wake but pick them to beat BOTH nebbish and mizzou? i could give you both wins if you picked baylor to actually beat a weakdick team.

welcome back to loser row.

badger
4/3/2009, 04:07 PM
Baylor not having football jokes aside, I think they will actually be earning their conference bowl payout this year, tee hee :D

I anticipate that they will beat Wake Forest. They stayed with them during the first half last year.

I would be more leary of your UConn win prediction. However, you should be 3-1 by the end of your non-conf schedule as you predict.

I like how you write OU off as a loss :D It's getting to be routine, isn't it ;)

I will go out on a limb here and predict OSU's "Epic Egg" game to be the Baylor game. OSU will lose at least four games during the reg season and one of those will be an egg laid against a school they're favored to beat.

With your 3-1 non-conf record, you only need to beat three teams to go bowlin'. I think your wins will be a transitional absent-coach Iowa State, an overconfident OSU and a Shermanator aTm.

Don't predict too many wins on your team yet, SicEm. Your team lacks depth and 60 minutes of football will be tough each week even if you have the next Vince Young sprinting down field. Go for a .500 season with a bowl first and predict your 7-win season next year.

madillsoonerfan5353
4/3/2009, 05:50 PM
Why and how come?

I'm not saying that they will be world beaters, but they have texas at home and the pokes should have won in Austin last year IMHO!!! They have no chance of beating OU at home, but it should be a good game! That and a ton of starters coming back!

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2009, 02:43 AM
I'm not saying that they will be world beaters, but they have texas at home and the pokes should have won in Austin last year IMHO!!! They have no chance of beating OU at home, but it should be a good game! That and a ton of starters coming back!

Should of, could of, would of...you know the sayings.

Wasn't OSU the last home conference loss? Do not say they have no chance...highly improbably, but they do have a very sligh tchance.

In case you don't know. Texas has a ton of players returning as well. And their talent pool is better than OSUs.

With all that stuff said....I am going to go vomit now. Thanks for making me defend a team of ugly orange!

SoonerShark
4/4/2009, 05:24 PM
Baylor will be going to a bowl, but it is kind of a special class sort of outing.

SoonerShark
4/4/2009, 05:27 PM

If OSU had UT and Tech at home last year they might have been the second Big XII team in a BCS game for the 2008 season and would have gone into the OU game undefeated.

SicEmBaylor
4/4/2009, 07:43 PM
11 of you are dead to me.:mad: :mad: :mad:

JLEW1818
4/4/2009, 11:57 PM
I got yall going SicEm, i hope yall go to the Texas Bowl.. there is a good chance that could happen... we will drink beer in Houston together... I'm hoping for it.

meoveryouxinfinity
4/5/2009, 05:31 PM
They can't ride Robert Griffin's back to a bowl game.

OU_Sooners75
4/5/2009, 05:36 PM
They can't ride Robert Griffin's back to a bowl game.

For as long as I have known you...

Anyway....Art Briles has brought in more to compliment Griffin. They will be in a bowl game this year.

meoveryouxinfinity
4/5/2009, 07:14 PM
For as long as I have known you...

Anyway....Art Briles has brought in more to compliment Griffin. They will be in a bowl game this year.

LOL no comment :)

and I'll believe it when I see it. It's kinda like saying OSU or Tech is going to win the Big XII (all preseason hype). The Big XII south is very competitive. I see them pulling some upsets but with their schedule is going to be very hard to get 6 wins.

badger
4/6/2009, 08:17 AM
11 of you are dead to me.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh wait... you're up to 15 dead now :D

Seriously, I voted "yes" to Baylor bowling. Even though you lost quite possibly the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft (which would be an awesome accomplishment for you guys), you should have some good talent this year and possibly more important, some much needed confidence.

However, if this year should prove to be non-bowl worthy, do one thing and do it well: BEAT TEXAS A&M. These Aggies for too long have taken advantage of their 12th Man or whatever. Think back to whatever you were saying last year about them stealing your women when they weren't co-ed. Think back to going for two instead of one to avoid OT to Fran's chagrin. Think back to anything else that makes you want to beat Aggie this year and do it!