PDA

View Full Version : Done Deal: Calipari to Kentucky

boomersooner28
3/31/2009, 05:36 PM
Most of that Kentucky team comes back next year plus he will bring in a lot of top talent. He will look like a God at Kentucky next year.

KU_Sooner
3/31/2009, 05:50 PM
Most of that Kentucky team comes back next year plus he will bring in a lot of top talent. He will look like a God at Kentucky next year.

And in the process Calipari has nuked the Memphis program. The interesting this is that Memphis probably won't get the new guys Cal worked so hard for either. None of them seem to have an desire to play at UK.

Also:
"...it's possible the next Tigers coach could inherit a roster featuring only Doneal Mack (8.7 points per game), Roburt Sallie (5.8 ppg), Willie Kemp (2.9 ppg) and Pierre Henderson-Niles (2.4 ppg), meaning Memphis could go from dominating Conference USA to missing the NCAA tournament in a matter of 12 months."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11573812

Dick Vitale is now saying that it's confirmed. That seals it for me, since everything Dick Vitale says is true. Baby.

AllAboutThe'O'
I'm sure the OSU fans are breathing a huge sigh of relief, considering that Travis Ford was likely UK's Plan B if Cal turned them down.

badger
Well, color me light blue as I roll my eyes in lack of surprise. You Cally DIDN'T like the fact that despite having the best record this season, his team ended up as a two seed? :rolleyes:

Now the question becomes "Who goes to Memphis?" This question is in addition to "Who goes to Wazzu?" and "Who goes to Georgia" as this coaching exchange gets more complex, and likely to add "Who goes to Mizzou" and "Who goes to Oklahoma State?*"

* You know it'll still happen.

KU_Sooner
3/31/2009, 05:53 PM
Rumor has it that Mike Anderson has been offered $3 Million A YEAR by Memphis. Of course this is very unconfirmed.

I would like this plan because I kind of like Mike Anderson, and I feel dirty liking the coach of Mizzery.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/31/2009, 05:55 PM
Rumor has it that Mike Anderson has been offered $3 Million A YEAR by Memphis. Of course this is very unconfirmed.

I would like this plan because I kind of like Mike Anderson, and I feel dirty liking the coach of Mizzery.

Georgia has also thrown its name into the Mike Anderson sweepstakes.

And badger, don't forget about Arizona making a splash, especially if the rumors are indeed true about Pitino expressing interest. That would cause even more dominoes to fall.

boomersooner28
3/31/2009, 05:55 PM
For those that would like a link, there isn't one...yet ;) Memphis beat writer confirmed it on Sportscenter at 5 pm. Said Calipari has verbally accepted the job at UK and has informed Memphis of his decision. He is currently on his way to Lexington to make it official.

boomersooner28
3/31/2009, 05:56 PM
Mike Anderson was just seen at Dillards buying a bigger wallet.

KU_Sooner
3/31/2009, 06:07 PM
Georgia has also thrown its name into the Mike Anderson sweepstakes.

And badger, don't forget about Arizona making a splash, especially if the rumors are indeed true about Pitino expressing interest. That would cause even more dominoes to fall.

I have a feeling Memphis would try to outbid anyone who went for Anderson if they really want him. Apparently the $3Mil offer was made to outbid Georgia, who offered him $1.6Mil.

oumartin
3/31/2009, 07:40 PM
Memphis & Arizona are great jobs and if Pitino were to somehow wind up in Arizona that makes Louisville open and a great job.

What you think Capel will do? I sure Joe C. is making him a rich man today

tommieharris91
3/31/2009, 08:09 PM
I have a feeling Memphis would try to outbid anyone who went for Anderson if they really want him. Apparently the $3Mil offer was made to outbid Georgia, who offered him $1.6Mil.

Guess not. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4031846)

soonerfan28
4/1/2009, 09:43 AM
W/all the mess that is the Calipari drama I have two questions. How can Calipari bring in players like DeMarcus Cousins, X. Henry, and John Wall? Does he have that many scholarships available since they have already signed Daniel Orton and the other recruits?

oumartin
4/1/2009, 10:03 AM
that link about Quinn being the coach until three years ago is wrong in that Katz article about Mike Anderson is it not?

badger
4/1/2009, 10:11 AM
Read all about Quinn-Quinn in The Ballad of Quinn Snyder. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/080418) It is the epic tale of Eight's Elitism in 2002... and falling so far below after his ouster to UT's shadow in Austin's D-League :D

oumartin
4/1/2009, 10:22 AM
man, it seems he had been gone from there along time

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/1/2009, 10:28 AM
W/all the mess that is the Calipari drama I have two questions. How can Calipari bring in players like DeMarcus Cousins, X. Henry, and John Wall? Does he have that many scholarships available since they have already signed Daniel Orton and the other recruits?

I'm wondering the same.

It would seem to me that Cousins coming to Kentucky would lead to Orton wanting to leave. I really doubt Cal can keep them all though Kentucky is about to become real good, real fast.