PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Etiquette

Hot Rod
3/31/2009, 11:55 AM
Using your phone in the bathroom? I don't want to hear about how it's going with your family or what your plans are tonight, while you're dropping a deuce or even at the urinals.

Pricetag
3/31/2009, 12:35 PM
I always make sure to flush a toilet just so the person on the other end knows where the talker is.

SouthFortySooner
3/31/2009, 12:39 PM
But here at work that is where I get the best reception. :(

C&CDean
3/31/2009, 12:48 PM
Why does someone else on a phone in the crapper bother you? Just fart or flush.

My biggest pet peeve is all the self-important business types who feel the need to dial up the second the airplane's wheels touch down and start yelling "get the powerpoint up to me asap" in a voice that you can hear from outside the airplane. Or "I'm here honey." What, you can't wait until you get into the terminal? D-bags.

Taxman71
3/31/2009, 01:48 PM
It is even worse when the guy in on the radio.

T_97UpqoAWw

Frozen Sooner
3/31/2009, 01:58 PM
Here's my deal:

If you're on your cell phone in line at the bank or the grocery store or wherever, that's great. As soon as you're about to be helped, say "Hey, gotta go, at the bank/grocery store/wherever."

You being on the phone slows down the entire process and keeps the people behind you waiting longer. It's particularly rude at the bank, where the teller may need to ask you several questions during the course of your transaction but doesn't want to interrupt your conversation. Further, it's stupid-if you give your account number, you've just told the person on the other end of the line confidential information.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/31/2009, 01:58 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What Frozen Sooner just said.

Another pet peeve of mine is people talking on their cell phones while eating in a restaurant or while going shopping for no reason.

Bring the cell phone if you have to, but unless it's an absolute emergency, nobody else cares about your conversations while they're trying to enjoy a quiet meal or trying to get some shopping done.

jkjsooner
3/31/2009, 08:12 PM
I always make sure to flush a toilet just so the person on the other end knows where the talker is.

I had a guy I didn't like much who was doing a phone interview from our office bathroom. I made sure I flushed as well...

jkjsooner
3/31/2009, 08:17 PM
I find it annoying when people talk on the phone while on the treadmill. They usually talk really loud because their talking over their breathing and the treadmill noise. Plus, there's signs all over the gym saying that cell phones are not allowed in the workout area. I guess to some people that's just a suggestion.

royalfan5
3/31/2009, 08:24 PM
Last time I flew I say by a jackass on a Southwest flight out of Nashville. Guy talked on his cellphone from the time we left the gate until just after take off. As someone who hates flying in the first place, the last thing I need was some dude yapping in my ear the whole time during takeoff.

Crucifax Autumn
3/31/2009, 10:02 PM
pI3I9NTHtAQ

Hot Rod
4/1/2009, 07:10 AM
Trigger Happy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TSprF1Zpjw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttewGXkCmZI

:D

SoonerJack
4/1/2009, 08:18 AM
"Yeah, Kenny Tarmac. Hey shooter. We just landed. No, ATL. Djew bring yer sticks? Yeah, me too. I know. Djew get that thing I sent? I know. How does she do that?"

RacerX
4/1/2009, 08:43 AM
http://www.coudal.com/Shhh.pdf

tbl
4/1/2009, 09:17 AM
I find it annoying when people talk on the phone while on the treadmill. They usually talk really loud because their talking over their breathing and the treadmill noise. Plus, there's signs all over the gym saying that cell phones are not allowed in the workout area. I guess to some people that's just a suggestion.

To be fair, a treadmill is not in the workout area.

Crucifax Autumn
4/1/2009, 09:47 AM
Hot Rod in reply to your spek question...Yes, it was. He's a semi regular on that show.

sooner_born_1960
4/1/2009, 09:49 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What Frozen Sooner just said.

Another pet peeve of mine is people talking on their cell phones while eating in a restaurant or while going shopping for no reason.

Bring the cell phone if you have to, but unless it's an absolute emergency, nobody else cares about your conversations while they're trying to enjoy a quiet meal or trying to get some shopping done.

Shopping? Yeah, like someone talking on the phone is going to ruin your peaceful shopping experience.

sooner_born_1960
4/1/2009, 09:52 AM
Here's my deal:

If you're on your cell phone in line at the bank or the grocery store or wherever, that's great. As soon as you're about to be helped, say "Hey, gotta go, at the bank/grocery store/wherever."

You being on the phone slows down the entire process and keeps the people behind you waiting longer. It's particularly rude at the bank, where the teller may need to ask you several questions during the course of your transaction but doesn't want to interrupt your conversation. Further, it's stupid-if you give your account number, you've just told the person on the other end of the line confidential information.

Yet, it doesn't bother me a bit that a whole building full of people have access to confidential information.

yermom
4/1/2009, 10:27 AM
Why does someone else on a phone in the crapper bother you? Just fart or flush.

My biggest pet peeve is all the self-important business types who feel the need to dial up the second the airplane's wheels touch down and start yelling "get the powerpoint up to me asap" in a voice that you can hear from outside the airplane. Or "I'm here honey." What, you can't wait until you get into the terminal? D-bags.

SMS ftw

NormanPride
4/1/2009, 10:45 AM
There is a secret entity in our office that will leave a note on your desk if you do not behave properly in the bathroom. The note contains a list of do's and don'ts, and is left discreetly so that other around are not made aware of your transgressions.

yermom
4/1/2009, 11:00 AM
are they for hire?

i could probably take up a collection around here ;)

NormanPride
4/1/2009, 11:02 AM
You WANT some creepy person tracking your bathroom behavior? That, to me, is really low. The pinnacle of busybodyness and disregard for personal privacy.

yermom
4/1/2009, 11:09 AM
maybe not all the time. but i'm telling you i have a need for said activity in my workplace right now. :)

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 11:28 AM
Yet, it doesn't bother me a bit that a whole building full of people have access to confidential information.

Mainly because that building full of people is bonded against the eventuality of divulging your confidential information and has a vested interest in keeping said information confidential-ie they can lose their job.

Unless you're the guy who yells his account number, I guess.

sooner_born_1960
4/1/2009, 12:04 PM
Oh, bull****. If my account were compromised, the bank(S and L, CU) would blame it on my carelessness, because there is no way I could prove the information came from one of the bank's employees.

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 12:16 PM
Oh, bull****. If my account were compromised, the bank(S and L, CU) would blame it on my carelessness, because there is no way I could prove the information came from one of the bank's employees.

Well, you're the guy who insists on keeping his phone conversation going while giving out his account information, so it looks like they'd have a pretty good argument.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/1/2009, 12:22 PM
On a side note, account numbers are not confidential information. Anytime you write someone a check, your account number, bank, name and address is on there. So, while on your cell phone and giving out your account number really isn't that big a deal.

However it is extremely rude to the teller and the people behind said person.

yermom
4/1/2009, 12:23 PM
this is why i basically never write checks

sooner_born_1960
4/1/2009, 12:26 PM
Well, you're the guy who insists on keeping his phone conversation going while giving out his account information, so it looks like they'd have a pretty good argument.

I was on the phone with my wife. She already knows the account number. And if I'm going to put someone off, it'll be a bunch of strangers before her.

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 12:31 PM
On a side note, account numbers are not confidential information. Anytime you write someone a check, your account number, bank, name and address is on there. So, while on your cell phone and giving out your account number really isn't that big a deal.

Yes and no. While such information is readily available on your checks, under GLB it's illegal for your financial institution to divulge that information. From our standpoint, such information is confidential. If you choose to give people checks, that's your own lookout. ;)

(And actually, there's very little someone can do with just your name and account number. "Your account security" is basically code for "Stop being a dick and hang up the phone.")

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 12:33 PM
I was on the phone with my wife. She already knows the account number. And if I'm going to put someone off, it'll be a bunch of strangers before her.

There's an easy solution here that doesn't involve being rude to either your wife or strangers.

sooner_born_1960
4/1/2009, 12:35 PM
You don't know my wife.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/1/2009, 12:35 PM
That's true, we can't give out that information upon request. However, my point is, it's not that big a deal if people hear your account number.

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 12:36 PM
You don't know my wife.

This is true. OK, rule is amended to "Unless you're on the phone with Mark's wife." :D

TheUnnamedSooner
4/1/2009, 12:38 PM
You don't know my wife.

Your wife can't wait 15 seconds so you can conduct business?

It's very inconsiderate to the people around you. If your wife has your balls in her purse, which sounds like the case, simply wait until you are done with your conversation before getting in line. It's very uncomfortable for the teller to try and do your transaction while you are on your phone.

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 12:38 PM
That's true, we can't give out that information upon request. However, my point is, it's not that big a deal if people hear your account number.

It's not the end of the world, no. But it's smarter to keep that information to yourself as much as possible.

Don't know if your institution was one affected or not, but google up Heartland Processing. We spent over $300,000 issuing new cards because a processor NOT owned by us had a security breach involving nothing more than debit card numbers, names, and expiration dates.

sooner_born_1960
4/1/2009, 12:39 PM
Mike, you gave up too easy. This place will return to Deadsville.

sooner_born_1960
4/1/2009, 12:41 PM
It's not the end of the world, no. But it's smarter to keep that information to yourself as much as possible.

Don't know if your institution was one affected or not, but google up Heartland Processing. We spent over $300,000 issuing new cards because a processor NOT owned by us had a security breach involving nothing more than debit card numbers, names, and expiration dates.

That would explain the new debit card I got a couple weeks ago.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/1/2009, 12:44 PM
Considering Heartland is one of the largest ACH processing companies in the US, I don't think there was a financial institution that wasn't affected. We had a similar problem with someone working for a fast food chain selling card numbers.

If you have a debit card number, name and expiration date, you can get online and order anything you want. If you are a criminal, that is much more useful information than a simple account number. Granted, you can do fraud with an account number (fake checks, etc.), but with the rules Visa has, you can do a lot more damage with debit card numbers.

sooner_born_1960
4/1/2009, 12:50 PM
Your wife can't wait 15 seconds so you can conduct business?

It's very inconsiderate to the people around you. If your wife has your balls in her purse, which sounds like the case, simply wait until you are done with your conversation before getting in line. It's very uncomfortable for the teller to try and do your transaction while you are on your phone.

I didn't come here for a lecture.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/1/2009, 12:52 PM
I didn't come here for a lecture.

Actually, I just wanted to say balls in purse.

sooner_born_1960
4/1/2009, 01:03 PM
That's the part that hurt so bad.

Frozen Sooner
4/1/2009, 01:15 PM
If you have a debit card number, name and expiration date, you can get online and order anything you want. If you are a criminal, that is much more useful information than a simple account number. Granted, you can do fraud with an account number (fake checks, etc.), but with the rules Visa has, you can do a lot more damage with debit card numbers.

That's not accurate, at least with respect to the part about ordering online. Unless there's still online retailers who don't require the CVS code.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/1/2009, 01:21 PM
Ok, I forgot about the CVS code.

yermom
4/1/2009, 01:25 PM
i run into some that don't on occasion. but i generally use the same ones all the time, so i don't have a good representation

jkjsooner
4/1/2009, 08:48 PM

According to the PCI compliance rules it is. If your company wants to be PCI compliant they are very strict about what information can be stored (even in logs), what can be transmitted in the clear, etc.

jkjsooner
4/1/2009, 09:04 PM
That's not accurate, at least with respect to the part about ordering online. Unless there's still online retailers who don't require the CVS code.

Thing is, you need to give out this code to do business so the guy on the other end of one transaction has everything he needs...

Crap, I made the mistake of using an ATM on a resort in the Domincan and got my card skimmed. They got my wife as well. We got our money back but it was a pain in the butt.

Anyway, the whole financial industry needs to get smarter. Credit and bank cards need to have smart technology imbedded on them. Something simple like many computer key fobs that generate a sequence of random numbers that can only be predicted by the card and the banking institution would be very helpful. You would just have to insert the current number on your card at each transaction. If someone steals your account information they would have maybe 5 minutes to use your card before the number changes.

Of course if they steal your card then they have all they need but that's a lot easier to detect and deal with.

This stuff should be mandatory. If this doesn't happen the whole financial industry could quickly be put in jeopardy.