PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Schedule observations, bichins, et al

Jacie
3/31/2009, 07:12 AM
So the Sooners open with a neutral site game (the new Dallas Cowboys stadium in Arlington) against what was last year, a pretty decent BYU team (10-3 in 2008). You'd expect the crowd to have a Sooner bias but don't put it past Texas residents to show up dressed in blue. I understand there are some not-so-hidden costs associated with attending a game at a Jerry Jone's venue. That and the size of the facility means there is a real possibility the stadium will look well, sorta not full. :(

The home opener looks like a real yawner in Idaho State, a poor team last year even by Division II standards (1-11). Expect to legitmately catch flak from fans of every other team OU plays for this one. The downside for Idaho State, besides having to play the game, is that OU will have already played against a quality team the week before. Best we can hope for is that no one gets hurt and reserves get a lot of time on the field.

Will Tulsa be as good in 09 as last year (11-3)? They could be the Cincinnati game this year.

Bye week to start October and prepare for Miami, which should be better than last year if only because OU travels to their place.

Conference play begins with the always dangerous Baylor Bears, fortunately played on Sooner-friendly Owen Field.

Why is OU/TX so deep into October? I don't recall one starting this late in the year, Oct. 17. I swallowed a lump and turned down a job to keep the date free this year and really don't want to stay home to see last year's game become a streak for the whorns. I'd rather see OU lose to Idaho State than drop another one to Pony Boy and the Clown.

The rest of the conference season is six weeks of home and away with most of the dangerous games (Kansas, Nebraska, Tech) on the road and the easier ones (K-State, A&M, aggie) at home. Such are the quirks of scheduling.

And finally, if OUr team is worthy, the Big XII CG will be played where OUr season started, the aforementioned Dallas Cowboys facility in Arlington. Would be kinda appropriate to bookend the regular season with games there.

fwsooner22
3/31/2009, 10:09 AM
BYU has one of the finest "fan followings" in the country. I live a few miles from TCU's stadium. BYU played here on a Thursday night last year. It was a zoo. They were parked in the streets miles away.

My bet is a 50-50 crowd and 80,000 fans.

oupride
3/31/2009, 10:34 AM
You could be right on the attendance, whereas it will be an event for the BYU fans as well.

OUMallen
3/31/2009, 10:47 AM
So the Sooners open with a neutral site game (the new Dallas Cowboys stadium in Arlington) against what was last year, a pretty decent BYU team (10-3 in 2008). You'd expect the crowd to have a Sooner bias but don't put it past Texas residents to show up dressed in blue. I understand there are some not-so-hidden costs associated with attending a game at a Jerry Jone's venue. That and the size of the facility means there is a real possibility the stadium will look well, sorta not full. :(

The home opener looks like a real yawner in Idaho State, a poor team last year even by Division II standards (1-11). Expect to legitmately catch flak from fans of every other team OU plays for this one. The downside for Idaho State, besides having to play the game, is that OU will have already played against a quality team the week before. Best we can hope for is that no one gets hurt and reserves get a lot of time on the field.

Will Tulsa be as good in 09 as last year (11-3)? They could be the Cincinnati game this year.

Bye week to start October and prepare for Miami, which should be better than last year if only because OU travels to their place.

Conference play begins with the always dangerous Baylor Bears, fortunately played on Sooner-friendly Owen Field.

Why is OU/TX so deep into October? I don't recall one starting this late in the year, Oct. 17. I swallowed a lump and turned down a job to keep the date free this year and really don't want to stay home to see last year's game become a streak for the whorns. I'd rather see OU lose to Idaho State than drop another one to Pony Boy and the Clown.

The rest of the conference season is six weeks of home and away with most of the dangerous games (Kansas, Nebraska, Tech) on the road and the easier ones (K-State, A&M, aggie) at home. Such are the quirks of scheduling.

And finally, if OUr team is worthy, the Big XII CG will be played where OUr season started, the aforementioned Dallas Cowboys facility in Arlington. Would be kinda appropriate to bookend the regular season with games there.

Wow.

OklahomaTuba
3/31/2009, 11:11 AM

goingoneight
3/31/2009, 12:18 PM
Excellent analysis... I think Miami, Texass and at Kansas are the top three "traps" or "scares" just looking at who they are, when it's played and where it's played. I got a feeling that provided no crazy flukes happen again, that we embarass a rather arrogant jones AT&T stadium.

Jacie
3/31/2009, 02:42 PM
Wow.

Not like a full time deal, just an event. Probably cost me 5 or 6 hundred but then I don't have to haul my stuff somewhere, set it up, play music all night, then tear it down and be the last one out of the place finally getting home after midnite. For something important to me it isn't much of a sacrifice. Now my wife has another opinion . . .

JLEW1818
3/31/2009, 03:24 PM
There are usually 12 Saturdays between Labor Day and Thanksgiving, but this year there are only 11; Labor Day is on 9/7 this year, the latest it can ever be. If we wanted to play all four nonconference games, our conference opener, and have a bye week, like we've done the last few years, the only way to do it would be to play on the 3rd weekend in October.

The last time the calendar fell like this was 1998; that year (and all the previous years that were the same way), we only played 11 regular season games so there was an extra bye week to play with.

2010, the OU UT game will be on October 2. We will play 4 non conference games before, and open up with Texas as a conference opener.

OUMallen
3/31/2009, 04:58 PM
Not like a full time deal, just an event. Probably cost me 5 or 6 hundred but then I don't have to haul my stuff somewhere, set it up, play music all night, then tear it down and be the last one out of the place finally getting home after midnite. For something important to me it isn't much of a sacrifice. Now my wife has another opinion . . .

Ah.

goingoneight
3/31/2009, 06:40 PM
I never quit a job for Sooner Football. I have threatened to burn that mutha****** down if they didn't let me out on time, though... :D

JLEW1818
3/31/2009, 06:47 PM
I never quit a job for Sooner Football. I have threatened to burn that mutha****** down if they didn't let me out on time, though... :D

THIS

oudivesherpa
3/31/2009, 07:33 PM
The BYU game could be very difficult, they will have all Spring to get ready for us and we usually play the first few games somewhat conservatively. That being said maybe we can get BYU to party hard Friday night with rum flavored ice cream with a side of Pepsi. Wait they don't drink caffeine drinks, well maybe we could send some hot chicks to their rooms, wait they don't mess with women until their married. Ok, we'll send Al Gore to their team meeting to give an inspirational speech, that should be enough be get them to lose their focus.

Any ideas on what would get young Mormon boys to go astray, they don't seem to have the normal vices like Sex Drugs and Rock n Roll ?

GottaHavePride
3/31/2009, 08:37 PM

Oh, ok. You turned down a gig. That makes more sense now.

JLEW1818
4/1/2009, 12:27 AM
The BYU game could be very difficult, they will have all Spring to get ready for us and we usually play the first few games somewhat conservatively. That being said maybe we can get BYU to party hard Friday night with rum flavored ice cream with a side of Pepsi. Wait they don't drink caffeine drinks, well maybe we could send some hot chicks to their rooms, wait they don't mess with women until their married. Ok, we'll send Al Gore to their team meeting to give an inspirational speech, that should be enough be get them to lose their focus.

Any ideas on what would get young Mormon boys to go astray, they don't seem to have the normal vices like Sex Drugs and Rock n Roll ?

I'll take care of it.

KingDavid
4/1/2009, 03:53 AM

I understand that they can get really worked up when you ask them to draw their family tree.

But if you want see them lose all self-control, just set 'em loose near a tribe of peaceful Native Americans . . . and run for cover.

KingDavid
4/1/2009, 03:59 AM

If OUr team is worthy, the Big XII CG will be played where OUr season started, the aforementioned Dallas Cowboys facility in Arlington. Would be kinda appropriate to bookend the regular season with games there.

And finally, we'll close out the season on January 7, 2010 with a victory in the BCS Championship Game.

FIXED!!!:D