PDA

View Full Version : Orton and Henry?

w0lfe
3/30/2009, 09:25 PM
Now that Calipari is gone, does Henry plan on transferring? What about Orton?

Soonerus
3/30/2009, 09:30 PM
good question...hopefully not to Kentucky...

tommieharris91
3/30/2009, 10:31 PM
good question...hopefully not to Kentucky...

:rolleyes:

The internets say Orton is opening his recruiting up to OU and Kansas, especially if Calamari gets DeMarcus Cousins to follow him there. Orton won't likely get as many minutes if that happens, and I'm also hearing that KU doesn't have a scholly open for anyone else, so if Orton decides not to go to UK, then OU would be the front-runner.

Then again, if the cosmos align right and Blake decides to stay, Orton might have some trouble finding a place to play.

Eielson
3/30/2009, 10:33 PM
I think Orton may be a possibility. If not, I'm happy with the other guys we have. Orton kinda strikes me as a talented player that will probably go pro before he ever ends of being a stud college player.

If Memphis signs a coach that Henry doesn't hate, I expect him to stay there with his brother...and I expect the main thing in signing a coach will be keeping the current player/recruits happy. Somewhat like what KSU did.

I'm completely guessing, though.

Eielson
3/30/2009, 10:37 PM
:rolleyes:

The internets say Orton is opening his recruiting up to OU and Kansas, especially if Calamari gets DeMarcus Cousins to follow him there. Orton won't likely get as many minutes if that happens, and I'm also hearing that KU doesn't have a scholly open for anyone else, so if Orton decides not to go to UK, then OU would be the front-runner.

Then again, if the cosmos align right and Blake decides to stay, Orton might have some trouble finding a place to play.

Put Blake at SF! TMG, Warren, Griffin, Orton, Gallon!

tommieharris91
3/30/2009, 10:46 PM
Put Blake at SF! TMG, Warren, Griffin, Orton, Gallon!

I dunno, I heard Tiny was in the 3 point contest at the McD's AA thing tonight and he made the semis. He'd be better off at the 3, keep Blake at the 4, and Orton can D up whoever at the 5.

If we have that team, anything short of a Final Four is a major disappointment.

Eielson
3/30/2009, 10:56 PM
I dunno, I heard Tiny was in the 3 point contest at the McD's AA thing tonight and he made the semis. He'd be better off at the 3, keep Blake at the 4, and Orton can D up whoever at the 5.

If we have that team, anything short of a Final Four is a major disappointment.

Yeah, offensively I'd have a hard time moving Blake out of the post. I think he would be able to guard a guard better than Gallon, though. I somewhat said this as a joke, but UConn starts Thabeet, Adrien, and Robinson, so it isn't completely ridiculous.

soonerfan28
3/31/2009, 09:17 AM
Rumors are that Calipari's assistants are already trying to see if Memphis recruits would be willing to switch to Kentucky, but since most have signed those LOI's I can't see Memphis saying sure you can leave and we'll get some recruits somewhere else. I don't think Orton will leave early from the college ranks especially not a one and done type deal. He had knee surgery before the start of his senior season and missed 99% of it.

If we could magically get Griffin to stay and get Orton to sign then we would have a really good team next year. I could see Orton and Gallon rotating at the 4 and maybe Orton relieving Griffin if Allen doesn't really progress in the off season.

That's a lot of "if's" though.

Salt City Sooner
3/31/2009, 11:02 AM
Katz has said several times that X is the only one who's signed his LOI to this point.

soonerfan28
3/31/2009, 11:07 AM
I guess it is now being reported that Xavier Henry had a clause in his LOI stating that it was only valid if Calipari was the coach.

Gary Parrish at cbssports.com

Xavier Henry's signed national letter of intent with Memphis features a clause that grants the McDonald's All-American a full release if John Calipari is not the school's coach when he is scheduled to enroll, a source familiar with the wording told CBSSports.com on Monday.

The source said Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans had similar clauses in their letters of intent.
What does this mean for Memphis?

It means Henry would be released without conditions if Calipari leaves for Kentucky, and there would be nothing preventing Henry from following Calipari to the SEC.

yukonmiller
3/31/2009, 11:08 AM
From what I saw of Orton he is soft and has a loooong way to go. Big kid but couldn't step in immediatley and ZERO defense.

OUmillenium
3/31/2009, 12:07 PM
This stuff is really interesting. I am trying not to get fired up but its not working. X is a superpunk but we need his talent.

Taxman71
3/31/2009, 01:28 PM
I have never heard of that LOI clause before now. Props to Calimari if he thought of it, but pretty slimy at the same time. Makes it look like Calimari doesn't have a lot of love and respect for his given employer.

soonerfan28
3/31/2009, 01:47 PM
This stuff is really interesting. I am trying not to get fired up but its not working. X is a superpunk but we need his talent.

If Xavier doesn't sign w/Kentucky he'll be headed to Kansas or another bigtime school. I don't know what the scholarships situation is at other schools, but I thought KU was maxed out. I'll be really shocked if we actually pulled in Xavier.

tommieharris91
3/31/2009, 04:11 PM
Can't be a Zaviay thread without this vid.

5a_wW6Zf0Qk

soonerfan28
3/31/2009, 04:31 PM
I almost typed the nutz on his face comment on my last post, but since you're bringin it up I can't see him livin that down in an OU uni, so I see no chance he'll ever be in one.

tommieharris91
3/31/2009, 04:43 PM
I almost typed the nutz on his face comment on my last post, but since you're bringin it up I can't see him livin that down in an OU uni, so I see no chance he'll ever be in one.

I don't see any chance of him being in an OU uni after this comment. (:56 mark)

iTfaXsk5jwo

KU_Sooner
3/31/2009, 06:01 PM

Read something earlier today that said Henry would likely go to Kansas (where his parents played) if Calipari left Memphis. I'll see if I can find the article.

EDIT: Found it.
“They were always in my top two, Kansas was,” Henry told a reporter from TheShiver.com, a Web site affiliated with ESPN. “So, of course, I’m gonna look at them again.”...“Me and coach Self are real close, I know their style, I like their style,” said Henry, who is from Oklahoma. “They’re close to home, kinda. Big 12, though. My family wouldn’t mind moving up there.”

http://www.cjonline.com/sports/2009-03-31/recruits_henry_stephenson_speak

LiveLaughLove
3/31/2009, 08:53 PM
What has this kid got against OU or osu? I dont follow this stuff so I dont know his story. Im always surprised when a local kid isnt even interested in his local schools.

Is there some bad blood or something? or does he just think great basketball is played elsewhere? With the Griffins being from his area, I have a hard time thinking he is dumb enough to believe that, so wonder what it is.

I got my answer, I guess his parents are KU people.

Bosley
3/31/2009, 09:12 PM
What has this kid got against OU or osu? I dont follow this stuff so I dont know his story. Im always surprised when a local kid isnt even interested in his local schools.

Is there some bad blood or something? or does he just think great basketball is played elsewhere? With the Griffins being from his area, I have a hard time thinking he is dumb enough to believe that, so wonder what it is.

I got my answer, I guess his parents are KU people.

Apparently goes back to his fathers grudge with Tubbs over his recruitment before he went to Kansas.

KingDavid
3/31/2009, 11:14 PM
Can't be a Zaviay thread without this vid.

5a_wW6Zf0Qk

Tea-bag. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=teabagging) verb