PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk next year...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/30/2009, 11:54 AM
Never too early right?

I'm going to presume Blake is gone. I figure out starting 5 looks something like this:

Mason-Griffin
Warren
Crocker
Chupacabra
Gallon

I think with Gallon, Allen,Wright,Chupacabra and our other recruits Fitzgerald and Hardrick that we will be plenty covered inside. Gallon won't be Blake but from what I've seen he will be a pretty good inside player on day 1. I would guess that Fitzgerald, Hardrick or both would be redshirt candidates.

I guess my biggest concern is at guard. I wonder if we don't need another combo guard. I think MG and Warren can handle point but to me Crocker and Davis are both 3's. I guess Capel feels good enough about Willis or the recruit Pledger to think we have it covered. I know Pledger has a reputation for being a shooter.

I'm thinking specifically in match-ups with teams like Mizzou where you may need a 3rd guy to handle the ball.

Opinions?

OUmillenium
3/30/2009, 12:09 PM
Hardrick is not D1 caliber...hopefully he makes a good practice dummy to shoot over

Ardmore_Sooner
3/30/2009, 12:15 PM
I've heard that Patillo is not passing classes, but I hope that's just talk. He has great potential.

NormanPride
3/30/2009, 01:27 PM
Allen's gotten some serious minutes lately. Look for him to get more PT next year, perhaps even in place of Chupes. I worry about next year's ability to run and press. Blake and Taylor's athleticism will be sorely missed, as I don't think either Gallon or Allen have the ability to run the floor like the Griffin brothers did.

ouleaf
3/30/2009, 01:35 PM
Allen's gotten some serious minutes lately. Look for him to get more PT next year, perhaps even in place of Chupes. I worry about next year's ability to run and press. Blake and Taylor's athleticism will be sorely missed, as I don't think either Gallon or Allen have the ability to run the floor like the Griffin brothers did.

Good point about Allen getting more minutes next year. If Wright can develop some more I think he will get more time as well.

JLEW1818
3/30/2009, 01:36 PM
when is the deadline to declare? nba

fossil
3/30/2009, 01:47 PM
:D Ummmm........methinks you are pulling our legs with this recruit named Chupacabra. Are you serious, do we actually have a recruit whose last name translates to 'goat sucker'? This is a joke, right?

tommieharris91
3/30/2009, 01:55 PM
:D Ummmm........methinks you are pulling our legs with this recruit named Chupacabra. Are you serious, do we actually have a recruit whose last name translates to 'goat sucker'? This is a joke, right?
He's already on campus.

tommieharris91
3/30/2009, 01:59 PM

If Gallon keeps up his fat jihad for, like... ever, then he could run the floor like the Griffins could. I've heard good things about him at the McD's AA practices.

Allen, however, I'm not too sure about. But if he plays like he did in the tournament he will be a force on both the offensive and defensive halfcourt.

Bosley
3/30/2009, 03:31 PM
Never too early right?

I'm going to presume Blake is gone. I figure out starting 5 looks something like this:

Mason-Griffin
Warren
Crocker
Chupacabra
Gallon

I think with Gallon, Allen,Wright,Chupacabra and our other recruits Fitzgerald and Hardrick that we will be plenty covered inside. Gallon won't be Blake but from what I've seen he will be a pretty good inside player on day 1. I would guess that Fitzgerald, Hardrick or both would be redshirt candidates.

I guess my biggest concern is at guard. I wonder if we don't need another combo guard. I think MG and Warren can handle point but to me Crocker and Davis are both 3's. I guess Capel feels good enough about Willis or the recruit Pledger to think we have it covered. I know Pledger has a reputation for being a shooter.

I'm thinking specifically in match-ups with teams like Mizzou where you may need a 3rd guy to handle the ball.

Opinions?

Hmmm, any similarities, not counting experience?

Ere - Pattillo
Price - Mason-Griffin
McGhee - Gallon
White - WW
Selvy - Crocker

Eielson
3/30/2009, 04:28 PM
Hardrick is not D1 caliber...hopefully he makes a good practice dummy to shoot over

That is what I was worried about. I think we got stuck signing him too early. We signed him his sophomore year. He has consistently gone down in the recruiting rankings and didn't do much in high school. I really had hoped it was because he went to three different high schools in three years. Some bad high school player are good college players, but it always worries me.

BermudaSooner
3/30/2009, 04:50 PM
maybe we can get Whitney Hand to come over to the mens team for her outside shooting.

okienole3
3/30/2009, 09:45 PM
That is what I was worried about. I think we got stuck signing him too early. We signed him his sophomore year. He has consistently gone down in the recruiting rankings and didn't do much in high school. I really had hoped it was because he went to three different high schools in three years. Some bad high school player are good college players, but it always worries me.

We didn't sign him, we just recruited him that early. Capel offered him early and kept his word.

okienole3
3/30/2009, 09:47 PM
Hmmm, any similarities, not counting experience?

Ere - Pattillo
Price - Mason-Griffin
McGhee - Gallon
White - WW
Selvy - Crocker

Personally, I don't see any of those similarities except that they all are or will be sooner b-ball players.

tulsaoilerfan
3/30/2009, 10:03 PM
Biggest need IMO is a Point Guard that can penetrate and dish the rock;give us Ty Lawson on this team and we win the NC

tommieharris91
3/30/2009, 10:33 PM
Biggest need IMO is a Point Guard that can penetrate and dish the rock;give us Ty Lawson on this team and we win the NC

Guess what Tommy Mason-Griffin is supposed to be?

Harry Beanbag
3/30/2009, 10:55 PM

Not on campus until next year?

Eielson
3/30/2009, 11:00 PM
Not on campus until next year?

Well, uh, that's kinda when we plan to start our season.

the_ouskull
3/30/2009, 11:12 PM
I think that, or, rather, hope that, Crocker will have to battle for a starting job instead of just being handed the job. Ditto with Davis and minutes. Ditto with Patillo, for that matter.

Allen has already shown me more than I thought he was capable of. He'll be in the mix. I do see our two McDonald's AA's starting though... not because they're AA's, but because I think that they're better than anybody that we'll have at those positions.

- Mason-Griffin
- Warren
- ?
- ?
- Gallon

I think that Crocker, Davis, and Pledger will be in the running for the three spot, and Wright, Patillo, and Fitzgerald will be in the running for the four spot. Crocker, due to his defense and athleticism will probably win the three job. Cade may become a deep benchwarmer. I think that the four spot is wide open, but, frankly, with the way Patillo ended the season, I'm inclined to think that, if he can drop some weight, improve his footwork, especially on defense, and pick up the offense quickly enough, he could be our starter. At the very least, he's going to see some solid minutes. I'll say Patillo will start the season starting, Fitzgerald will end it.

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
3/30/2009, 11:13 PM
Personally, I don't see any of those similarities except that they all are or will be sooner b-ball players.

Thank you. Thank you for that.

the_ouskull

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/30/2009, 11:24 PM
I guess again my concern isn't so much for when MG and Warren are both on the floor but when one is out of the game resting, who is the #2 spot. I like Crocker and Davis but despite the fact I thought Leary was overmatched at times he was a solid back-up PG that freed up WW to play some shooting guard. I think we have more big bodies than we know what to do with next year. I just hope we have enough depth in then backcourt.

tulsaoilerfan
3/31/2009, 07:00 PM

Blake's illegitimate brother?

boomersooner28
3/31/2009, 07:05 PM

A cross between Desmond and Blake? :D :confused:

stoopified
4/1/2009, 10:09 PM
I guess again my concern isn't so much for when MG and Warren are both on the floor but when one is out of the game resting, who is the #2 spot. I like Crocker and Davis but despite the fact I thought Leary was overmatched at times he was a solid back-up PG that freed up WW to play some shooting guard. I think we have more big bodies than we know what to do with next year. I just hope we have enough depth in then backcourt.I'm guessing TM-G will be backed up primarily by WW as AJ was this year.Leary did't start getting much pt until AJ's back flared.

My guess for the way too earlyline-up goes like this:

PF- Fitzgerald

C-Gallon

SF-Crocker

SG-Warren

PG-M.-Griffin

Bench- G/F Davis,G Pledger,C Allen,C/F Wright,F Patillo

Possible redshirts- G Willis F ,Hardrick.

On A SIDENOTE I t amazes me that Crocker is the target of so much negativity as he has been a solid player for THREE years.I guess he takes AJ's place as fan whipping boy.Crocker plays hard regardless if his shot is falling or not which is way Capel keeps him in the lineup. Forthe record Crocker had to compete for his spot and that is why Davis,Patillo,Willis were on the bench and Tony statrted. EVERYBODY will have to compete for their spot,I GUARANTEE you Capel has NO BODY already set as a atarter.As always grades,injuries,defections,or a late signee could affect this.

I may sound like an incurable optimist or even the world's biggest homer but IMHO we have a chance to be as good or better next year.We lose a lot in Blake but upgrade in talent at PG with TM-G,PF with Alexander(and the return of Wright,Patiillo),and we add another shooter in Pledger(not to mention TM-G is reputed to be a sharpshooter as well ).

This all hinges of course on THE MAN,Jeff Capel to lead us onward and upward.Damn I am almost more exicited about next b-ball season than football season,almost.

OUmillenium
4/2/2009, 08:31 AM
Hardrick definitely needs to redshirt.

I hope Patillo can learn the offense. He can really be a difference maker. I think our team will really get up and down the floor next year. Blake ran the floor a lot but when we got into half-court, our offensive flow really seemed to log jam a lot this year as we really worked to get it to Blake (not a bad thing) and passed up lots of good shots at times.

PhiDeltBeers
4/2/2009, 09:22 AM
Dang....throw Blake back into that mix. We can only imagine.

MojoRisen
4/2/2009, 08:14 PM
I thought I read somewhere Hardrick was scoring 30 points a game... I would not be selling that kid short - I guess he didn't make a lot of noise his senior year or something in OK?

IronHorseSooner
4/3/2009, 11:14 AM
One thing is for sure, this team will be deep next year....BTW, could we give another scholly, if need be? Coach has to be holding one out, in case a miracle happens and Blake stays.

soonerfan28
4/3/2009, 11:20 AM
I thought I read somewhere Hardrick was scoring 30 points a game... I would not be selling that kid short - I guess he didn't make a lot of noise his senior year or something in OK?

He transferred to Putnam City to play w/Xavier Henry and to have a chance to win a state championship. I saw the state championship game and he was on the bench at the end of it. He needs to add some weight and redshirt.