PDA

View Full Version : Courtney Paris- Instant HOF'er?

SteelClip49
3/30/2009, 08:17 AM
I am sure there are some guidelines before she can be inducted into the Naismith BBall HOF but her stats are unreal career and season wise, something no other man/woman will ever accomplish. National title or not, I would think she could be an exception to get into the HOF very very quickly. Also, I think she should have her number retired at LNC.

Courtney Paris is the first college basketball player, regardless of gender, membership or division, to reach 2,500 points and 2,000 rebounds for her career (ESPN).

For four years she has played in the best conference, has played the likes of Maryland, Duke, Cal, Tennessee, UCONN, etc... non-conference powers and has done all that. She deserves a lot of praise!!!

badger
3/30/2009, 08:32 AM
I had a very mind numbing conversation with my husband during the game last night regarding the enigma that is Courtney Paris. We were watching her play underneath or close to the basket, like always, and we saw the exact same thing that we've seen for four years- CP3 rebound, then attempted shot, shot would bonk off the backboard, CP3 rebound, shot would go in on second attempt. Box score adds two rebounds and two points for CP3.

I know how wonderful her stats are, yet I see her miss uncontested and close shots all of the time, only to be in the exact right place for the ball to bounce to her without any boxing out or other effort to get the ball.

I know she has a lengthy streak of double doubles, yet I wonder if she keeps getting them only for being lucky over and over because the ball just keeps bouncing to her and she keeps getting her own missed shots to add to her rebounding totals.

Oh, and she misses free throws too :rolleyes:

I have never seen a player quite like Paris that can be so confusing to classify. She can't be a "flop," because she has unmatched stats. She can't be champion, because she makes costly mistakes constantly. She doesn't hit clutch shots either from the free throw line or from underneath the basket.

Did I mention I've been seeing this now for four years? Haven't the coaches been issuing her failing grades in rebounding in an effort to correct some of this, or have her rebounding queen trophies been a distraction? D@mn the NCAA and the way they keep their stats. She's not doing what she should to get rebounds, but she gets them anyway.

Ow, my head hurts again. I need aspirin. Please, no more CP3 threads. Too...confusing...can't...compute...doesn't...make ...sense... ahhhhhh! :eek:

ouwapiti
3/30/2009, 08:42 AM
badger....feelin ya dawg..........i coached bball for 29 years...can you imagine MY frustration???

badger
3/30/2009, 08:44 AM
badger....feelin ya dawg..........i coached bball for 29 years...can you imagine MY frustration???

I have never coached bball and the one season I played competitively a coach soured me on the experience (oh, and I had mono too) so I never played again.

Perhaps YOU can explain what the eff goes on during those moments?! Please? I might go insane if this lasts much longer! PLEASE! :)

sooneron
3/30/2009, 08:48 AM
Her stats are incredible and most of the records will stand for a long time, but every time that I watch her, I am underwhelmed. They kept talking about consistency last night during the game. It was sorta like they were warning us that she wasn't some awesome presence or something. I've probably watched about 20 of her games, so I can't claim to be a knowitall on her, but that's enough to have a solid idea of her ability. I like Ashley's game better, even though she missed a lot of make-able shots last night.

Sooner04
3/30/2009, 09:26 AM
Courtney is not a very good basketball player. She's bigger than everyone else, but her stats are grossly inflated. She's a good athlete for someone her size, and she's got good hands, but she lacks touch.

She's been a tremendous ambassador for our University, and I applaud her for that. Thousands of little girls all over our state want to play at OU because of Courtney Paris, and I think that's wonderful.

As much as our fans hated to hear it, Bob Knight was correct in his assessment that Ashley Paris is actually the better basketball player. She's far more versatile, and she's in shape too.

badger
3/30/2009, 09:32 AM
As much as our fans hated to hear it, Bob Knight was correct in his assessment that Ashley Paris is actually the better basketball player. She's far more versatile, and she's in shape too.

Gawd, Bobby Knight. I wish ESPN would televise more of our games with Bobby Knight on commentary.

Other announcer: Hey look! Bob Stoops, Bubba Paris, Jeff Capel and a bunch of other famous people are in the stands...
Bobby Knight: Shut the **** up, you ****ing moron. I'm hear to talk about the ****ing game... Whitney Hand, Whitney Hand, Whitney Hand, Whitney Hand...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/30/2009, 09:39 AM
Courtney is not a very good basketball player. She's bigger than everyone else, but her stats are grossly inflated. She's a good athlete for someone her size, and she's got good hands, but she lacks touch.

She's been a tremendous ambassador for our University, and I applaud her for that. Thousands of little girls all over our state want to play at OU because of Courtney Paris, and I think that's wonderful.

Courtney is way too productive not to run the offense through and at the same time when she is on the floor I think she sometimes limits what the team can do. I agree 100% on the stats. That is a big reason why she will be at best an average player at the next level.

Ashley on the other hand probably has less talent but worked herself into shape and right now is a better basketball player. It is a shame in one regard because I think if Courtney had Ashley's drive she would be one of THE best college players ever instead of just very good. In short if Courney were 20 lbs lighter OU, not UConn would probably be #1.

NormanPride
3/30/2009, 09:51 AM
Courtney's best stats are her defensive ones. Her blocked shots, forced turnovers, defensive rebounds, and overall gumming-up-of-the-lane cannot be accurately calculated. Offensively, I almost think she's a liability because she can't move around enough in our offense, but defensively she's a terror. If she was a bit quicker even the best guards would be scared to drive on her.

oumartin
3/30/2009, 02:01 PM
regardless of how she got all those points and rebounds you don't get them without being dominate. Sure she has not improved over the 4 years but she was pretty special when she got here.

to imply that what she has done is less than amazing is kinda dumb.

I think she is overweight and her sister has caught her in terms of basketball abilities and surpassed her in other areas, but the fact remains. she has done something nobody else has or probably ever will do again.

I'll start the next CP3 thread

kelloggOUballa
3/30/2009, 10:38 PM
Courtney Paris is the most dominant player in the history of women's college basketball. Her stats tell the story. If it was so easy, then why doesn't everybody do what she does? Sure, her scoring is down this year, but it is because she doesn't have to do as much as she used to because her team is better. She is arguably the greatest women's COLLEGE player ever. Yes, better than Parker, Holdsclaw, Taurasi, etc. I don't see any of them with the records she has. The pro game may or may not be a different story, depending on how much she wants to work. When she leaves, you will see just how great she has been.

Sooner04
3/30/2009, 11:36 PM
Courtney Paris is the most dominant player in the history of women's college basketball.
Cheryl Miller (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheryl_Miller)

tommieharris91
3/31/2009, 12:30 AM
I really like Ashley Paris's game now that it fits her position. She does a lot more than last year when she was truly a Courtney Paris clone playing exactly like her sister. I also tend to agree with people who think that CP3 hasn't improved while she was here. She still doesn't box out. It works for her though...

badger
3/31/2009, 07:49 AM
Cheryl Miller (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheryl_Miller)

Every time I saw her, it was funny because she had the same face as her younger cocky brother. It reminded me of those Nike lockout commercials where Spike Lee attended 8th grade basketball games instead because the NBA wasn't playing. Spike spent the game ragging on some player named "Regina Miller." Fun times.

Cheryl Miller was definitely a player before her time. If she played today, when some women's college teams attract 10,000+ fans to each game, she would receive a lot more attention and recognition. By the time the WNBA rolled around, she was too old to play, so she was one of the first coaches.

Anyway, back to CP3. I really worry sometimes that the women's team is reading stuff like this, because I don't want us to come across as unappreciative and hurtful fans that continually dog her lack of improvement and lack of weight loss. I am really, really glad she is on our team and not whoever we're playing's team. I think we are a better team for having players like her. I think she is an excellent role model for our state's youth and is a wonderful representative of OU.

But hey, it's gameday. I hope all of our players (especially Courtney) have strong performances tonight. After all, I'd really like that Final Four shirt that the Syracuse fan owes me :D

Chance70
3/31/2009, 11:53 AM
Some of you fans just slay me! This year Courtney leads the team in points, scoring average, field goal %, field goals attempted, field goals made, free throw attempts, rebounds, and blocked shots. She is second on the team in free throws made. She is fourth on the team in assists, and fifth on the team in steals and turnovers. And her team is in the Elite Eight and, hopefully, the Final Four. It's true she doesn't make every single basket she shoots or every single free throw she attempts -- but who does? If Courtney was not leading this team, OU would not be where it is tonight. Courtney Paris is definitely one of -- if not the most -- dominant players in women's college basketball, and we should all be proud she plays for OU. She is definitely not "dash and flash" and that's probably why some people don't appreciate her skills. She's just a workhorse who has done an exceptional job at OU the last four years.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/31/2009, 12:56 PM
I agree with you Chance70 very good post. I believe CP3 is an instant HOF'er and I do believe she should have her jersey retired. The women's ball team may never see another player like her again. Much like the men with Blake. These type of players just don't come around every year. After all, she is the first women's bball player to be named 4-time All-American.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/womens-tournament/03/31/all.america.ap/index.html

sooneron
3/31/2009, 08:42 PM
I don't want to be read the wrong way here.
Does she deserve to have her # retired? Yes
Does she/will she be a HOF'er? Yes

Instantly? Not many people get the instant thing. Wayne Gretzky got it in his profession. Is Courtney the equivalent of Wayne Gretzky? That's your opinion and I'll let you guys decide for yourselves.

kelloggOUballa
3/31/2009, 11:17 PM
Courtney Paris > Cheryl Miller. Pretty sure it's not even close. First Four-Time All-American in history, and numbers that Miller cannot compete with.

Curly Bill
3/31/2009, 11:49 PM
Some of you fans just slay me! This year Courtney leads the team in points, scoring average, field goal %, field goals attempted, field goals made, free throw attempts, rebounds, and blocked shots. She is second on the team in free throws made. She is fourth on the team in assists, and fifth on the team in steals and turnovers. And her team is in the Elite Eight and, hopefully, the Final Four. It's true she doesn't make every single basket she shoots or every single free throw she attempts -- but who does? If Courtney was not leading this team, OU would not be where it is tonight. Courtney Paris is definitely one of -- if not the most -- dominant players in women's college basketball, and we should all be proud she plays for OU. She is definitely not "dash and flash" and that's probably why some people don't appreciate her skills. She's just a workhorse who has done an exceptional job at OU the last four years.

Seriously? Why didn't she put some work into getting in shape then so she could maximize her considerable potential?

Curly Bill
3/31/2009, 11:55 PM
Three player of the year awards and two national titles say that Cheryl Miller laughs in the general direction of anyone that says Courtney Paris is better then her.

Collier11
4/1/2009, 12:08 AM
Courtney has stayed the same while Ashley has gotten better, Courtney is good but doesnt really dominate like she should. I realize we have a better team now so she doesnt have to score more but she should be scoring 20 a game. And for someone as physically domianting as her, she shouldnt have game after game where she shoot 4 for 14 from the field

Collier11
4/1/2009, 12:09 AM
Having said that, Ou should retire her number and Yes, she is a first ballot HOFer

badger
4/1/2009, 08:53 AM
She had a very good game last night. I think team accomplishments were what would prevent her from instant HOF status. A Final Four pretty much solidifies it now.

oumartin
4/1/2009, 09:03 AM
How about her free throws last night. she was pretty solid after she clanked 3 of her fiirst 4

badger
4/1/2009, 09:06 AM
How about her free throws last night. she was pretty solid after she clanked 3 of her fiirst 3

Probably from the shock of actually getting to the line. By the time she finally got there, I think she was the first Sooner to shoot FT's and Purdue had already shot 12 (and made 12).

Sooner04
4/1/2009, 09:09 AM
Courtney Paris > Cheryl Miller. Pretty sure it's not even close. First Four-Time All-American in history, and numbers that Miller cannot compete with.
Cheryl Miller:
Points - 3018 (23.6 PPG)
Rebounds - 1534 (12.0 RPG)
Assists - 414 (3.2 APG)
Steals - 462 (3.6 SPG)
Blocks - 320 (2.5 BPG)
Naismith Player of the Year - 1984, 1985 and 1986
National Champioships - 1983 and 1984

Courtney Paris
Points - 2715 (20.0 PPG)
Rebounds - 2018 (14.8 RPG)
Assists - 217 (1.6 APG)
Steals - 132 (1.0 SPG)
Blocks - 442 (3.3 BPG)
Naismith Player of the Year -
National Championships -

Listen, Courtney is a phenomenal player. The rub is that if she were in shape she would be so much better. Her first two years I was convinced she was the most dominant female player I'd ever seen. She averaged 22 and 15 as a freshman and then topped it by putting up 23 and 16 as a sophomore. Then what happened? She put up 19 and 15 as a junior and this year she's averaging 16 and 13. Why has she regressed? Great players don't drop off.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/1/2009, 10:19 AM
Cheryl Miller:
Points - 3018 (23.6 PPG)
Rebounds - 1534 (12.0 RPG)
Assists - 414 (3.2 APG)
Steals - 462 (3.6 SPG)
Blocks - 320 (2.5 BPG)
Naismith Player of the Year - 1984, 1985 and 1986
National Champioships - 1983 and 1984

Courtney Paris
Points - 2715 (20.0 PPG)
Rebounds - 2018 (14.8 RPG)
Assists - 217 (1.6 APG)
Steals - 132 (1.0 SPG)
Blocks - 442 (3.3 BPG)
Naismith Player of the Year -
National Championships -

Listen, Courtney is a phenomenal player. The rub is that if she were in shape she would be so much better. Her first two years I was convinced she was the most dominant female player I'd ever seen. She averaged 22 and 15 as a freshman and then topped it by putting up 23 and 16 as a sophomore. Then what happened? She put up 19 and 15 as a junior and this year she's averaging 16 and 13. Why has she regressed? Great players don't drop off.

I couldn't agree more. First Miller was a better all around player.

Second. It isn't that Paris isn't one of the best that ever played the game and the best to ever wear an OU uniform. It is that she could be even better simply if she had the drive of Ashley and was in better shape. Courtney was probably the best freshman basketball player EVER. She is still a great player but she is the equivalent of Shaq. She is too big and physical for most players to stop but it comes so easy for her that she isn't becoming all she can be. Her 85% is better than almost everyone's 100%. If she were in top shape she would be averaging about 30 and 20 and would be darn mear unstoppable. Just my opinion.

I think she is likely going to get in the WNBA and 1. either lose 15-20lbs and become a great WNBA player as well or 2. Play at her current weight and be an average at best player.

She is an immediate HOF'er probably due to her production and I think she is capable with a monster game of knocking off UConn and getting a title.

badger
4/1/2009, 10:31 AM
Cheryl and Courtney had different situations, much like Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan did. Sure, Wilt scored 100 points in a game and Michael never did, but then again, all Wilt had to do back then was wait under the basket for the ball to get passed to him.

Cheryl was a player before her time that would have been great in this modern era of women's basketball when Title IX is in full swing and a handful of schools average 10,000 fans per game, But... would she have had the same stats if she was going up against some of the athletes today that Courtney is? Probably not, much like Wilt wouldn't score 100 points in the MJ era of the NBA.

It's hard to say, but I still tend to think that Cheryl had easier competition in the 80s than CP3 has now.

oumartin
4/1/2009, 11:22 AM
the whole problem with courtney IMO is that she didn't have the drive to become leaner and quicker. She was content where she was. And some of that goes on Sherri. Sherri should have pushed her a little harder. However you gotta wanna get better yourself.

Obviously Ashley wanted to slim down and become more mobile and it has helped her so much.

Still. Courtney is a great player.