PDA

View Full Version : Question about Landry Jones...

goingoneight
3/29/2009, 11:15 PM
I know we won't truly know this until it happens or doesn't happen... but this team if I'm correct is the first one since 2001 where we have the "potential" to see two QBs hit the field.

Now, pump the brakes... I didn't say we'd go all Leak/Tebow this year. We have a Heisman winnar at the helm. He deserves every "meaningful" snap that he's healthy to take. However, last year told me that at times we didn't let Halzle in for fear of one of two things... that he'd mess the mojo or momentum up, or that it would hurt Sam's Heisman pursuit. You won't hear coaches or players ever admit either of these if true, but I recall plenty of times last year where OUr opposition was dead in the water and we could have exercised OUr backup QB.

*** Note: I never said we ran up the scores. Seems to me that last year Texas A&M didn't have a chance in hell of beating us even early-on. Say that's this year in Norman... 2nd/3rd quarter... OU up three or four scores. We don't have a "career backup QB" on the roster right now, and while Sam is awesome, I remember many coaches in recent years giving their young guys more snaps to prep them for emergency situations and/or the future of the program. Landry Jones is in the mold of Sam Bradford, more a pocket-passer, nothing super-exciting on the ground like a Pat White or Vince Young. Basically, we're not going to change the playbook or philosophy for him when his time comes... does anyone think that maybe this year we see a little something with LJ under center that's not a hand-off up the middle to a fifth-string running back to kill the final twenty seconds? Sort of like how we used PT in 2003, and how the coaching staff said they'd use Jason White in 2001 until Hybl got hurt and he HAD to go?

As much as it pains me to say this, Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll did a nice job of bringing their young guys along by giving them oppurtunities like this in recent years. It's not like LJ is some JUCO guy brought in to mop-up for two or three years, and he's already red-shirted.

I'm guessing typical Stoops-coached team will keep Sam in until we know the opposition doesn't stand a chance in hell of coming back, then LJ will get in to take a knee like always. KW seems like he's one to change things up quite a bit and involve all of his players for the sake of development and keeping defenses honest, so that's why I'm wondering. As far as the Heisman race goes, Sam already has one, so the committe and voters know what he can do, and in "meaningful situations," he'll work his magic if a 2nd trophy is in his future.

JLEW1818
3/30/2009, 12:44 AM
I'm sure Bobby realizes that Sam will enter the 2010 draft. So I'm sure we might see some Jones this year. I think we will beat up on teams, but maybe not like last year. As far as the Leak/Tebow, I don't think the Gators would have won the title with out Tebow as a true freshman that year. So they definitely had to play him. But I agree with your point, it would be nice for the coaches, fans, and the media to know that the 2010 Sooners will be Jones team. Giving that Sam leaves after this year.

rainiersooner
3/30/2009, 01:18 AM
It would make sense to give him some meaningful snaps - and you're spot on that if he has the goods, he is designed to run the same offense. Hopefully Stoops has confidence in him and we can get him prepped for 2010.

soonerfan28
3/30/2009, 08:28 AM
This is all well and good if Jones is actually the backup next year. I think there will be a healthy competition between Jones and Drew Allen for the backup position. I think Jones will come out on top and he'll get in at the end of games when we lead by at least two TD's.

Dan Thompson
3/30/2009, 09:00 AM
We hear a lot of talk about rotation at almost every position, except QB.

badger
3/30/2009, 09:05 AM
Ok, I've got a fan question about Landry Jones - was he named after Dallas Cowboys coach Tom Landry? Is that a common name in Texas now cuz of the hat?

Seriously, I'm asking. I heard a lot of kids got named Peyton in Tennessee a few years ago. "Landry" just isn't a name you hear everyday and I've been curious about this for awhile.

SouthFortySooner
3/30/2009, 09:08 AM
Isn't he from New Mexico?

BillyBall
3/30/2009, 09:21 AM
Isn't he from New Mexico?

Yes, Artesia New Mexico.

badger
3/30/2009, 09:25 AM
:P New Mexico doesn't have a pro team. I would assume they'd all cheer for the Cowboys there, right?

sooner518
3/30/2009, 09:35 AM
:P New Mexico doesn't have a pro team. I would assume they'd all cheer for the Cowboys there, right?

or the Arizona Cardinals........

:D :D :D

BillyBall
3/30/2009, 09:45 AM
TV stations out of Albuquerque show Cowboys and Broncos games on the reg.

badger
3/30/2009, 10:01 AM
or the Arizona Cardinals........

:D :D :D

Would anyone like to enlighten Mr. Devil's Advocate?

ooo! me! Me! MEEEEE!!!!! :D

The Arizona Cardinals were the St. Louis Cardinals first and did not move to Arizona until 1988, hardly enough time for a New Mexican to love the team enough to name his son after a Cardinal instead of a Cowboy coach, doncha think?

Before anymore advocates show up, I was asking about Texas in general, not because I thought Landry was from Texas (who can forget his lawyer dad after the Nebbish fan screw-up?) and because I know there's a lot of Texas residents here. Is Landry a common name down there?

And besides, nobody's answered the question if Landry was named after Tom yet :(

sooner518
3/30/2009, 10:29 AM
wow thanks for the history lesson. I never knew that the Cardinals used to be in St Louis!!!*

*- please note the sarcasm of this post, as well as my previous post, since apparently the 3 :D faces did not tip you off

badger
3/30/2009, 10:36 AM
wow thanks for the history lesson. I never knew that the Cardinals used to be in St Louis!!!*

*- please note the sarcasm of this post, as well as my previous post, since apparently the 3 :D faces did not tip you off

Regardless of whether or not New Mexico residents cheer for the Cowboys or Cardinals or Broncos or :les: PACKERS! [hairGel] All I wanted to know was if Landry was named after Tom Landry and if "Landry" was a common name in Texas.

Can anyone answer either question without using a sarcasm meter? :O

BillyBall
3/30/2009, 10:38 AM
On a side note, there are not enough people in Chicago named Ditka.

setem
3/30/2009, 10:55 AM
I don't know about the origins of his name but I do know that he is courting Whitney Hand of the Women's Basketball team! Nice couple!

The kid looks legit in every practice video I have seen. I do not think DA will be able to catch up with Jones in time to jump him in the depth chart. Correct me if I am wrong but Jones came in at the spring semester as well right? So he has way more time with the coaches and way stronger unless DA has some kind of crazy personal trainer. I want the better QB in there and if it is DA so be it but I like the way Jones plays he is just like Sammy.

badger
3/30/2009, 11:00 AM
I don't know about the origins of his name but I do know that he is courting Whitney Hand of the Women's Basketball team! Nice couple!

Hmm...
http://i39.tinypic.com/24awwpg.jpg
:D

SouthFortySooner
3/30/2009, 11:03 AM
10-1 odds their first malechild will be named Bob. :D

BornandBred
3/30/2009, 11:31 AM
Hmm...
http://i39.tinypic.com/24awwpg.jpg
:D

That kid would be all forehead.

PS:
Landry is not a common name from what I know.

badger
3/30/2009, 11:44 AM
That kid would be all forehead.
This is totally off-topic, but the question came up as we were watching Duke's rabid kid... what's his face... hmmm... Singler? Eh, whatev, the question came up if you would forgo your handsome face if it meant you were awesome enough to play basketball at Duke.

Soooo... would you give up your tiny forehead in exchange for being awesome enough to play football or basketball at OU? I bet you would :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/30/2009, 11:51 AM
A carck-up of a thread! If I was a star-giver, this one would get maybe 3.

BornandBred
3/30/2009, 11:56 AM
So, would I give up what little looks I have to play ball at OU... I don't think so. While I look fondly back at my high school football days, I chose education over sports (I went to OU for engineering school as opposed to a JUCO to try to transfer back and play ball) and I think I make the same choice about my face/head.

setem
3/30/2009, 12:38 PM
oops

setem
3/30/2009, 12:41 PM
oops

setem
3/30/2009, 12:43 PM
This will be hard to post with out coming off as sounding gay. Landry is much better looking than you would think from that picture. Those eyebrows are pretty bushy though. Besides that he is a strapping young man. I had a class next to one that Jones had last semester and he has pretty cool style other than the fact he rides a razor scooter around campus.

Also I have seen Hand around and she is pretty cute.

I think away from sports they look pretty good. Cortney Paris though looks the same either way... Sorry!

One girl who is absolutely striking is Britney Baldy of the tennis team. Girl is smoking hot! Especially in her tennis uniform! She is Jack Elliot's daughter. OH MYLANTA she is gorgeous!

SouthFortySooner
3/30/2009, 02:09 PM
I wonder. There are a lot of girls named Britney. The young Britney...

Stoops=God
3/30/2009, 05:14 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there is 0% chance that Landry will get any meaningful snaps. Come on guys, we have arguably the best modern era college quarterback at the helm. In an era where style points DO matter (read: us getting in instead of Texass last year), there is no reason I would want to see Landry on the field at all unless the game is well within hand.

setem
3/30/2009, 06:28 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there is 0% chance that Landry will get any meaningful snaps. Come on guys, we have arguably the best modern era college quarterback at the helm. In an era where style points DO matter (read: us getting in instead of Texass last year), there is no reason I would want to see Landry on the field at all unless the game is well within hand.

I am pretty sure that is what everyone here is saying. You are only as good as your backups. Texas Tech took care of our National title hopes the year before last by taking Sammy out of the game. I know they did not mean to do that but you saw what happened. JH was not ready to play at all when Sam went down. If there is a chance to get our back up some snaps we need to take it. As much as I like Sam getting accolades he is not above the team in any way. He knows that and I think that is why he flourishes.

OUmillenium
3/31/2009, 11:51 AM
"but I recall plenty of times last year where OUr opposition was dead in the water and we could have exercised OUr backup QB."

Bob Stoops classic = never having a backup qb even close to ready. If Halzle is more prepared/Oline more familiar in 07, we probably beat Tech.

Stoops is still the man just a little thing that I criticize about his philosophy.

OUmillenium
3/31/2009, 11:57 AM
LJ was indeed named after the Dallas Cowboys Tom Landry. LJ's father was on the 1981 Dallas Cowboys practice squad and developed a close relationship with the legendary coach. They still meet once a year near Tom's current residence for lunch and catching up on old times. It is rumored that Tom Landry is anxious to attend some Sooner games in hopes of seeing his namesake take a few snaps.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/31/2009, 12:04 PM
LJ was indeed named after the Dallas Cowboys Tom Landry. LJ's father was on the 1981 Dallas Cowboys practice squad and developed a close relationship with the legendary coach. They still meet once a year near Tom's current residence for lunch and catching up on old times. It is rumored that Tom Landry is anxious to attend some Sooner games in hopes of seeing his namesake take a few snaps.I thought Tom Landry died in 2000. IOW, HUH?

GottaHavePride
3/31/2009, 08:47 PM
This is totally off-topic, but the question came up as we were watching Duke's rabid kid... what's his face... hmmm... Singler? Eh, whatev, the question came up if you would forgo your handsome face if it meant you were awesome enough to play basketball at Duke.

Soooo... would you give up your tiny forehead in exchange for being awesome enough to play football or basketball at OU? I bet you would :D

Ask Kirk Hinrich - I think that's EXACTLY the deal he made, except it was KU, not Dook.

badger
4/1/2009, 09:25 AM
LJ was indeed named after the Dallas Cowboys Tom Landry. LJ's father was on the 1981 Dallas Cowboys practice squad and developed a close relationship with the legendary coach. They still meet once a year near Tom's current residence for lunch and catching up on old times. It is rumored that Tom Landry is anxious to attend some Sooner games in hopes of seeing his namesake take a few snaps.

Someone has already pointed out that the hat died in 2000. Is the rest of your story true, or were saying that Tom Landry as an angel wants to attend games and Sooner's Owen Field provides the convenience that the Cowboys old stadium did of having an open ceiling so that God (and angels) can view the game?

swardboy
4/2/2009, 06:59 AM
I heard his folks were big fans of Landry's Sea Food restaurants.....

OUmillenium
4/2/2009, 08:23 AM
It was an early April Fools entry. Didn't know if I would be on the board yesterday so I struck while the iron was hot. Total fabrication.

I thought the modern Tom Landry stuff would tip it off since he passed in 2000.

Jello Biafra
4/2/2009, 09:23 AM
On a side note, there are not enough people in Chicago named Ditka.

or butkus...or nagurski

i wish i would have won those two fights. I tried to make either of my boys middle names butkus. she wasn't having it.