PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances that Blake returns?

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2009, 06:36 PM
For at least one more year?

He has stated before that he is enjoying his experience. He has also stated before that he was leaning toward coming back.

His parents are hoping that he returns to OU as well.

So what do you all think?

I have mixed emotions about it. He is the best in the nation in college. He would be the #1 overall pick.

However, I do not see his value dropping out of the lottery if he stays at OU. So he will be guaranteed some very good money no matter what.

Curly Bill
3/29/2009, 06:39 PM
0%

OUmillenium
3/29/2009, 06:41 PM
same as CB

KC//CRIMSON
3/29/2009, 06:42 PM
What are the chances that Blake returns?

About as good of a chance as I do banging Megan Fox tonight.

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2009, 06:43 PM

Your pick in women is lousy too. :D

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2009, 06:44 PM
We thought 0% after last season too.

We thought that about Bradford as well.

Hmmmmm......

Curly Bill
3/29/2009, 06:45 PM

Your politics is lame (IMO), but your taste in women passes muster. ;)

JLEW1818
3/29/2009, 06:45 PM
No chance

jumperstop
3/29/2009, 06:51 PM
1%. all of you saying zero percent don't really know. it would be dumb of him to pass up the money. of course bradford passed up all that money to come back but he wasn't getting attacked and hurt each game either.

lindscy
3/29/2009, 06:56 PM
For his sake, I hope he goes to the NBA. I'd hate to see him end up like Ryan Minor. For our sake, I hope he stays. The supporting cast will only be better next year.

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2009, 06:57 PM
1%. all of you saying zero percent don't really know. it would be dumb of him to pass up the money. of course bradford passed up all that money to come back but he wasn't getting attacked and hurt each game either.

He passed up the money last year too.

His parents are wanting him to stay. His brother is wanting him to stay.

His draft status will not drop outside to top 5, even if he does get injured.

He is destined to make millions. So why pass up the college experience to go after the big bucks? Once you leave for the NBA, you cannot come back!

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2009, 06:58 PM
FYI, I personally think he has played his last game in a Sooner uniform.

the_ouskull
3/29/2009, 07:04 PM
I think he's through, too. It would be nice to see him come back and play for a team that can hit an occasional outside shot, or at least be smart enough not to keep shooting them, but I can't see it happening.

the_ouskull

E-Town
3/29/2009, 07:05 PM
I see a pattern...

Sam Bradford graduates from high school from a local OKC school.
Blake Griffin graduates from high school from a local OKC school.

Sam chooses Oklahoma University
Blake choosed Oklahoma University

Sam has a good (rs)freshman season
Blake has a good freshman season

Sam has a great sophmore season
Blake has a great sosphmore season

Sam gets a concussion
Blake gets a concussion

Sam wins the best player award
Blake wins the best player award

Sam chooses to stay one more year
Blake ?????

jdsooner
3/29/2009, 07:12 PM
I think he will consider it. I would say 25%. Now I sound like Dean Blevins.

Eielson
3/29/2009, 07:16 PM
50/50 or so, honestly. Maybe a little worse, but I think you guys are being a little bit negative. Financially it won't get better, but Blake seems to realize there is more than that. His family doesn't seem to have a big desire for money. Right now, Blake stands as a great college basketball player. Not the best, probably not even considered one of the best. He probably won't be on any top 10 or top 20 lists of all time. If he played 3 or 4 years I think he definately would be.

And, if he comes back I think we have a great chance at winning a national championship.

LiveLaughLove
3/29/2009, 07:31 PM
I cant see him coming back.

He may, but I would be totally shocked.

He will be THE #1 pick. He cant improve on that. His brother is gone. I believe hes gone.

missann
3/29/2009, 07:45 PM
Sam has a lot of help, Blake not so much.

nighttrain12
3/29/2009, 07:46 PM
It depends on how hot the women are at OU. The right underclass-coed could make sure he stays at least one more year. ;)

oumartin
3/29/2009, 07:48 PM
ZERO, took too many cheap shots and the money is too great to turn down this time around. Plus his brother is done.

yukonmiller
3/29/2009, 07:49 PM
As good as it would be for our program and we would be a better team than we were this yeat. (Not even close without him).

How could anyone ask him to stay? With the abuse he has taken this year I can't see enduring that again. I would think it would be more about that and the risk of injury then the money.

tommieharris91
3/29/2009, 07:54 PM
It depends on how hot the women are at OU. The right underclass-coed could make sure he stays at least one more year. ;)

To an NBA player, especially one who isn't married, bitches ain't no thing.

OUSKINS
3/29/2009, 07:56 PM
This is cheesy, but it's all about what's in his heart. Blake will be a millionaire soon enough...his family is not financially stressed-- there is no rush for him to go for that reason. He's the #1 pick now and he'll be the #1 pick whenever he decides to go....the risk of a career-ending injury is ridiculously slim.

If Blake truly loves being a studnet, playing for Capel, and wants to try and get OU to a Final Four, then he SHOULD come back. If he feels that he is simply proven all he can prove and OU his experience won't be the same without Taylor, then he should go.

Tim Duncan was 100% ready to leave from a basketball standpoint as well, but he was a bit of a different cat and he had his own ideas of what he wanted to do....maybe Blake is similar?

As a fan, I would not "ask" him to come back and I would 100% understand and support his decision to go, but to say staying would be a "mistake" totally discounts one important thing: What Blake wants.

PhiDeltBeers
3/29/2009, 08:04 PM

So you're saying there's chance?

sooner ngintunr
3/29/2009, 08:05 PM
No way he comes back. The only reason he came back this year was to play one last season with his bro.

I was right when I thought Sam would be back.

No way Blake comes back, it is 0%.

Bosley
3/29/2009, 08:11 PM
ZERO, took too many cheap shots and the money is too great to turn down this time around. Plus his brother is done.

I was about to say, he has taken more damage than anyone I've ever seen play college ball. He's gone, and good for him. I was on egg shells every game hoping someone didn't just cold clock him. the WWE move put me over the top. I HOPE he declares for the NBA draft. It would be harder for me to be selfish watching what he went through this year.

8timechamps
3/29/2009, 08:13 PM
Nobody but Blake (and his family) knows what he's going to do.

I, like anyone with a brain, would love nothing more than to see him come back. In reality, I'd be surprised if he did.

As much as we all want him to be a Sooner for one more year, I think the fact that his brother wouldn't be there may be one of the biggest reasons he won't stay.

PhiDeltBeers
3/29/2009, 08:16 PM
The difference between Sam and Blake, in my opinion, is that Sam has more to improve on than Blake. Blake is a man among boys. He has been unstoppable all year long. Look what he did today. Look what Tyler did today. See the difference. Sam can still improve on his size and strength. We'll see how well Sam does with a new line as well. I think that'll be good for him to get a little more pressure. You know it's coming in the NFL. I think Blake's leaving....but hope he stays, just like the football team did.

E-Town
3/29/2009, 08:54 PM
Nobody but Blake (and his family) knows what he's going to do.

I, like anyone with a brain, would love nothing more than to see him come back. In reality, I'd be surprised if he did.

As much as we all want him to be a Sooner for one more year, I think the fact that his brother wouldn't be there may be one of the biggest reasons he won't stay.

What if Capel hired his brother Taylor to be an assistant coach? Then will Blake come back? I know I'm grasping...but you never know

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2009, 09:14 PM
This is cheesy, but it's all about what's in his heart. Blake will be a millionaire soon enough...his family is not financially stressed-- there is no rush for him to go for that reason. He's the #1 pick now and he'll be the #1 pick whenever he decides to go....the risk of a career-ending injury is ridiculously slim.

If Blake truly loves being a studnet, playing for Capel, and wants to try and get OU to a Final Four, then he SHOULD come back. If he feels that he is simply proven all he can prove and OU his experience won't be the same without Taylor, then he should go.

Tim Duncan was 100% ready to leave from a basketball standpoint as well, but he was a bit of a different cat and he had his own ideas of what he wanted to do....maybe Blake is similar?

As a fan, I would not "ask" him to come back and I would 100% understand and support his decision to go, but to say staying would be a "mistake" totally discounts one important thing: What Blake wants.

Well this fan is not asking him to come back. I am asking the other fans here what they think the chances are that he does come back.

Or do you not understand that point?

And as a fan, if I wanted to, I could ask him to come back. But you see, in the grand scheme of things. My opinion, your opinion, and anyone elses opinions here really does not matter. I am almost certain that Blake Griffin does not visit this website.

With that said...stop trying to make this all about morals or what is expected as a fan....because we all have different morals and expectations.

NCSooner18
3/29/2009, 09:18 PM
What if Capel hired his brother Taylor to be an assistant coach? Then will Blake come back? I know I'm grasping...but you never know

Man, I just thought of that...except I was thinking grad assistant

josh09
3/29/2009, 09:30 PM
Before he said he was seriously considering staying a couple weeks ago, i would have said 0%. But after that, id say about 33%. He could come back and dominate another year, and easily be the leader of a top 10 team with him in the lineup, and compete for another championship, or he could go and be the #1 pick in the draft, get paid a bunch, and avoid losing money by getting injured if he stayed a year. From what ive heard, Blake isnt the type of guy who would let money guide him, even if it was put in front of his face. I'm not saying that after he realizes TRULY how much he'll be making, it wont affect his decision, i just dont think he'll jump on the draft bandwagon immediately. And theres always the chance that his teammates could have an affect on the decision as well. The only seniors on the starting 5 were Taylor and AJ. Patillo and Willie can fill in for both of them and they both had plenty of playing time this year, so we will have a very experienced team next year.

Honestly, who knows? Theres a lot of factors that could play into it. We'll just have to wait and see.

josh09
3/29/2009, 09:32 PM
No way he comes back. The only reason he came back this year was to play one last season with his bro.

I was right when I thought Sam would be back.

No way Blake comes back, it is 0%.

Yea, Sam stayed because he can still get bigger and improve some parts of his game before going to the NFL. Blake is almost a perfect package for the NBA right now. So yea, i dont think Sam and Blakes situations are the same, youre right.

Eielson
3/29/2009, 10:01 PM
Yea, Sam stayed because he can still get bigger and improve some parts of his game before going to the NFL. Blake is almost a perfect package for the NBA right now. So yea, i dont think Sam and Blakes situations are the same, youre right.

Blake is hands down the best player in the nation, but there are still ways for him to improve.

OUSKINS
3/29/2009, 10:18 PM
Well this fan is not asking him to come back. I am asking the other fans here what they think the chances are that he does come back.

Or do you not understand that point?

And as a fan, if I wanted to, I could ask him to come back. But you see, in the grand scheme of things. My opinion, your opinion, and anyone elses opinions here really does not matter. I am almost certain that Blake Griffin does not visit this website.

With that said...stop trying to make this all about morals or what is expected as a fan....because we all have different morals and expectations.

Wow, you completely and 100% took that the wrong way. Total misinterpritation of my point.

All I was trying to say was that none of us really know what Blake wants personally.

yukonmiller
3/29/2009, 10:47 PM
Blakes comments about the cheap shots in college vs not so much so in the pros because they respect each other makes me think that sounds awfully appealing to him.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/29/2009, 11:00 PM
Well the chances are certainly better than 0% but not by a whole lot.

i pretty much applied the "AD rule" in my thinking of Blake this year. I considered AD a Senior his junior year and really didn't even seriously consider the idea that AD might have come back. I was mildly suprised that Bradford came back but far from shocked. I actually think I'm less confident of Blake coming back than I was of AD coming back.

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2009, 11:08 PM
Wow, you completely and 100% took that the wrong way. Total misinterpritation of my point.

All I was trying to say was that none of us really know what Blake wants personally.

Then we agree. My bad then.

I will blame my misinterpritation on the beer!

OUbasketball4life
3/29/2009, 11:37 PM
I loved having Blake these past two years. Him and Taylor have both been awesome. Blake has nothing to prove to the college world and I totally support him jumping to the NBA. Willie has said he is staying http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/national/tournament/ncaamen/stories/032909dnspooudate.3cc5191.html and I think that OU basketball is headed in the right direction. It was a wonderful season and it's a season that I feel this team will build off of next year.

Sooner98
3/29/2009, 11:40 PM
The chances are slim and none (and slim just left the building).

ouwasp
3/30/2009, 12:24 AM
I think he's done.

Hope I'm wrong.....if for no other reason than to hear the pokes howl....and the horns...and the...

you get the picture.

Sooner LockJaw
3/30/2009, 05:14 AM
Less than 5%-although I don't think he'd lose any value or money by coming back either.
With being everyone's number one pick in the draft, I just see him considering the cash and security and making the jump now. Cash has a way.......of making one's mind up for them when they *know* that it is there just waiting.

ousooners182
3/30/2009, 06:14 AM
If blake did come back...wow.

we would be good..

really good

Jacie
3/30/2009, 06:34 AM
So there's no way to petition the NCAA to get an extra season for Taylor then . . .

soonerfan28
3/30/2009, 08:15 AM
At this time I think it's 50/50. In a week when he's had a chance to keep emotions from getting the best of him it will be 1/99. I have no mixed emotions about it. I want him to come back and play another two years at OU. I'm a Sooner fan and want what is best for my Sooners.:mad:

sooneron
3/30/2009, 08:40 AM
10-15%

8timechamps
3/31/2009, 08:12 PM
Digger Phelps (whom most of us can barely tolerate) did make a very good point. He said "If you know that you can get drafted and start in the NBA, then you should go".

I know I'm being selfish in wanting Blake to come back. Then I try to think how hard that choice would be to make. He aready knows he's the #1 pick in the draft, has a decent chance of being picked up by OKC, and will be a millionaire many times over if he decideds to leave. In the end, that's not much of a choice.

One thing positive to come of it is that my interest in the NBA will grow a little since there will be another Sooner out there.

Mudskipper
3/31/2009, 09:41 PM
This is setting up real nice for an April Fools joke.....:P

GottaHavePride
3/31/2009, 09:52 PM
Well, it was until you said THAT.

boomersooner28
3/31/2009, 11:24 PM
If Blake didn't get beat to death in every college game he's ever played then I'd say there would be a chance (albeit slight) of him returning. BUT, with the punishment he takes and especially the concussion factor, he cannot afford to stay at OU.

Bye Blake! Thanks for the memories!