PDA

View Full Version : Great season

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/29/2009, 06:30 PM
I wished we would have shot better against UNC but we lost to IMO by a decent margin the most talented team in the country. Didn't accomplish everything we hoped but how many times did YOU just laugh this year after one of Blake's monster dunks. I did more than I can count.

Future looks good too.

oumartin
3/29/2009, 06:34 PM
I'll miss him but time goes on. Capel is the man.

OUmillenium
3/29/2009, 06:42 PM
I think Blake locked up player of the year today.

LiveLaughLove
3/29/2009, 06:43 PM
very good season. congrats to the team.

sooner518
3/29/2009, 07:57 PM
frustrating end. Blake showed hes the best player in the country. unfortunately, UNC showed theyre a better team and Lawson showed hes the best guard in the country. he just hit daggers and was everywhere. Handsbro can suck my Tebowner

why coudlnt we have just shot 25% from 3 point range?!?!?!?!

Leroy Lizard
3/29/2009, 08:03 PM
I disagree about the great season. For all the great games, we ended up with nothing. You think anyone cares that we made it to the Elite 8? I am not sure I even care.

8timechamps
3/29/2009, 08:15 PM
I disagree about the great season. For all the great games, we ended up with nothing. You think anyone cares that we made it to the Elite 8? I am not sure I even care.

It was a great season, by Sooner standings. I'm quite sure you don't care, but then again, most fairweather fans wouldn't.

Sooner04
3/29/2009, 08:17 PM
Get the **** out of here.

kelloggOUballa
3/29/2009, 08:18 PM
How many teams had a better season? Four.

Leroy Lizard
3/29/2009, 08:31 PM
If you want to chant to yourself over and over that it was all worth it, go ahead.

I don't watch college basketball. Every year we do the same thing. No matter what happens during the regular season, Big-8 tournament, or early rounds of the NCAA tournament, we will always finish with a loss and have nothing to show for the season. And we will spend our time trying to pretend that, somehow, we ended up accomplishing something in the end. "Great season," we will say. But no one cares. There is no trophy. There is no championship. If we're lucky, someone will let us hang a beach towel from our rafters with Elite-8 written on it. Big whoop.

Sweet 16, Elite-8, Final Four... whatever. In the end, there is only one winner and rest are losers. The most painful season I can remember is 1988, when we lost the title game. Frankly, I would have just as soon lost in the first round. I sure as Hell don't see many in here crowing about that year.

8timechamps
3/29/2009, 08:36 PM
I don't watch college basketball.

That tells us a lot.

Thanks for your insight.

colleyvillesooner
3/29/2009, 08:47 PM
What a ******.

tulsaoilerfan
3/29/2009, 08:51 PM
Can Leroy be banned? Seriously, the guy contributes absolutely nothing to these message boards

A Sooner in Texas
3/29/2009, 08:56 PM
If you want to chant to yourself over and over that it was all worth it, go ahead.

I don't watch college basketball. Every year we do the same thing. No matter what happens during the regular season, Big-8 tournament, or early rounds of the NCAA tournament, we will always finish with a loss and have nothing to show for the season. And we will spend our time trying to pretend that, somehow, we ended up accomplishing something in the end. "Great season," we will say. But no one cares. There is no trophy. There is no championship. If we're lucky, someone will let us hang a beach towel from our rafters with Elite-8 written on it. Big whoop.

Sweet 16, Elite-8, Final Four... whatever. In the end, there is only one winner and rest are losers. The most painful season I can remember is 1988, when we lost the title game. Frankly, I would have just as soon lost in the first round. I sure as Hell don't see many in here crowing about that year.

I'll crow about it...hell, we went to the national championship games in both football and basketball that year. We lost them both, but it certainly didn't make me want to root for the Sooners any less. Just like this year. Yeah, it's disappointing, but so what? We were in the hunt. I'd much rather get to the Elite Eight than lose before. Blake had a great game; now if he'd only had more backup we would have had a better chance of winning. But I see NC as going all the way...they're that good.

Besides, if you don't watch college basketball, why the **** are you even in this thread?

You just like to stir up ****, apparently.

8timechamps
3/29/2009, 08:58 PM
Can Leroy be banned? Seriously, the guy contributes absolutely nothing to these message boards

He's getting close.

How lonely one's life must be to get on the basketball board (which he rarely if ever does) and make those kinds of comments just after a tough loss.

People like that just seem so sad to me.

GrapevineSooner
3/29/2009, 08:58 PM
Dooshtacular analysis, LL.

I hate to be obvious man, but 64 out of 65 teams every year that are fortunate enough to make the NCAA Tournament end their season with a loss. And out of those 64 other teams, 56 would have loved to have traded places with us.

This is was one of the more enjoyable seasons I've had the pleasure, as a fan, to witness. And I look forward to more enjoyable seasons with Jeff Capel leading the way.

8timechamps
3/29/2009, 08:59 PM
You just like to stir up ****, apparently.

That is 100% correct. Try to ignore him. Apparently he was not hugged as a child.

Leroy Lizard
3/29/2009, 09:12 PM
I dunno. Maybe tomorrow I will feel differently. But there seems to be something futile about college basketball that I don't sense in college football.

Maybe if there were 16 teams selected instead of 64 it would be different. That way, you can only get in to the tournament by having a great regular season and winning the whole thing wouldn't seem so far out of reach. I would probably watch the regular season games in that case. But as it stands, just about any team can get in, which makes them all look about the same when they lose.

Don't get me wrong: The team did well. I have no problem with their effort. I am certainly not down on them. But in the end, there just doesn't seem to be any real reward for what they did. Just another casualty along the way.

So my criticism isn't aimed at the team, but rather college basketball. You play hard all year, you lose very few games, you are ranked as high as #2 at times, you go against some of the best and beat them, and all college basketball gives you is a rag to hang from the rafters. No cheers, no trophies, no accolades, no parades, no nothing.

And I think that's a shame. They deserve more, but that's all they're going to get. Now tell me if I am wrong and point out what they actually do get out of this. Respect? Yeah, sure.

wishbonesooner
3/29/2009, 09:13 PM
I take a lot of pleasure knowing that my Sooners become the only team I can remember having the Heisman winner and the Naismith POY in the same year. If CP can add the women's POY, that's a great year. Maybe you should stick to WWF Lizard.

josh09
3/29/2009, 09:18 PM
Its pretty frustrating when you start out 0-15 or whatever is was from 3, and realizing that if we only hit 2 or 3 more, it would be a totally different game. The fact is, our guard play just wasnt up to par. Unfortunate, but still, a great season. I loved watching this team.

Leroy Lizard
3/29/2009, 09:20 PM
I take a lot of pleasure knowing that my Sooners become the only team I can remember having the Heisman winner and the Naismith POY in the same year.

That was a great thing to come from the season. No doubt.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/29/2009, 10:43 PM

I agree and disagree. Winning 30 games = a great season.

I do agree that you don't care.

Leroy Lizard
3/29/2009, 11:00 PM
Well, I guess i do care. Maybe I should have waited a day before posting.

I certainly do not want to come down on the team. It just doesn't seem as if all their hard work netted them any real reward. In the end, I don't see them basking in any more glory than the Horns, even though they were far better. Just another team that lost and has to go home. And I think that sucks.

Sooner98
3/29/2009, 11:50 PM
So my criticism isn't aimed at the team, but rather college basketball. You play hard all year, you lose very few games, you are ranked as high as #2 at times, you go against some of the best and beat them, and all college basketball gives you is a rag to hang from the rafters. No cheers, no trophies, no accolades, no parades, no nothing.

And I think that's a shame. They deserve more, but that's all they're going to get. Now tell me if I am wrong and point out what they actually do get out of this. Respect? Yeah, sure.

How is this any different than college football? In the end, there's only one champion, and everyone else are "losers".

Ton Loc
3/30/2009, 07:53 AM
Well, I guess i do care. Maybe I should have waited a day before posting.

I certainly do not want to come down on the team. It just doesn't seem as if all their hard work netted them any real reward. In the end, I don't see them basking in any more glory than the Horns, even though they were far better. Just another team that lost and has to go home. And I think that sucks.

I understand everyone's frustration after a loss

but

Jesus Christ, you are everything that is wrong with the OU football fan vs the OU basketball fan. If you don't watch the game then please STFU. Your opinion is not needed. That reminds me, don't you have some ongoing BCS vs Playoff discussion to go ruin?

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2009, 03:39 PM
How is this any different than college football? In the end, there's only one champion, and everyone else are "losers".

Did you watch the Arizona fans rush the field after their bowl win? That's what I'm talking about. Those fans felt great. The team felt great. They have legitimate bragging rights. They took home a trophy.

Somehow, it isn't the same in college basketball. Every year ends with the same frustration. I'm not talking about "most every year." EVERY YEAR. Tell me one year in Sooner basketball that we didn't end up with the "awww, crap!" at the end.

So yeah, fans are coming in here talking about the "great season" they had. But it all seems forced.

So what do the players have to brag about? What do the fans have to brag about? (Blake winning the Naismith notwithstanding.)

And let me say again: This isn't the team's fault. We know they did well. We know they did everything they could. But other than telling each other that we SHOULD be happier than we really are, what exactly does it all mean?

Jesus Christ, you are everything that is wrong with the OU football fan vs the OU basketball fan. If you don't watch the game then please STFU.

I don't tell you to shut up; I would appreciate it if you didn't tell me to shut up. This is a forum where we post our opinions. That's all I did.

Bosley
3/30/2009, 04:21 PM
Sooner fans typically **** me off. They'd rather talk about the third string offensive tackles on next years football program than they would about our basketball team's run to the elite 8.

I guess that's what separates the average fan from the average OU Alum. Us grads are equally attached to several sports programs because we invested in the university, and had friends in all the sports, got to know the athletes on campus. I'm not ashamed to call out the rabid football fans because sadly that's the extent of their devotion to the university. They'll follow the OU basketball team in the tourny and occasionally to gain some ammunition to talk crap to the aggie fan that sits in the cubical 7 feet to the right.

Go ahead and Neg me now.

cjames317
3/30/2009, 06:29 PM
I think the program earned respect this year, which should bring more ballers that will, hopefully, stick around together long enough to be as good a team as Carolina was yesterday. That kind of team wins championships and creates the "compete for championships" mindset like that held by our footballers. Think about it. Our best scorers yesterday were a sophomore and a freshman. What would that team look like with those two in two years (a la Hansborough and Lawson)? I think Capel can elevate our program toward Carolina's level. Next year will prove a lot. Who knows, maybe Blake will follow Sam's lead?

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2009, 06:44 PM
I guess that's what separates the average fan from the average OU Alum. Us grads are equally attached to several sports programs because we invested in the university, and had friends in all the sports, got to know the athletes on campus. I'm not ashamed to call out the rabid football fans because sadly that's the extent of their devotion to the university. They'll follow the OU basketball team in the tourny and occasionally to gain some ammunition to talk crap to the aggie fan that sits in the cubical 7 feet to the right.

Well, I am an alum. And if you look in the football board, you will see that I take losses, stand by the team, and avoid calling out players better than the average fan. Actually, far better.

Remember how you felt after OU won the Rose Bowl? I don't know about you, but I felt great. Sure, we didn't win the national title, but winning that bowl was the next best thing. Who in here claims that they didn't feel real good after OU won the Rose Bowl?

Do you feel the same way now? Do the players?

Sorry, but I just don't have that same feeling of excitement and satisfaction about this year's basketball season.

I suppose I should. Just like I should like some songs. But if I don't, I don't. And I am willing to bet that the majority of fellow Sooner fans feel the same way, but just don't want to say it.

When a fan comes in and says "Yeah, but it was a great season," he is basically consoling himself. And why does he have to do it. Because he knows that as far as the sporting world is concerned, OU is just another team that got sent home early.

I agree and disagree. Winning 30 games = a great season.

I agree. It just doesn't feel great.

CatfishSooner
3/30/2009, 08:55 PM
Great season Sooners!

soonervegas
3/30/2009, 09:18 PM
Sorry you feel that way leroy.

The fact is this was a great season. Programs are built on sweet 16, elite 8, and final four appearances. I think we are all happy because this team did reach its potential. We very likely lost to the national champ....

Basketball fans look at the season on the whole and anytime you are one of the last 8 teams standing out of 300 + you are in rare air.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2009, 11:05 PM
Basketball fans look at the season on the whole and anytime you are one of the last 8 teams standing out of 300 + you are in rare air.

Agreed. From a pure mental standpoint, the team accomplished a lot. But I just don't see the glory. Where's the ovation? Where's the celebration? Where's the excitement?

Harry Beanbag
3/30/2009, 11:08 PM
Did you watch the Arizona fans rush the field after their bowl win? That's what I'm talking about. Those fans felt great. The team felt great. They have legitimate bragging rights. They took home a trophy.

They just wrapped up what, an 8-5 season? WTF legitimate bragging rights did they have? Las Vegas Bowl champs?

I'll take a 30 win final eight basketball season any year over that.

Harry Beanbag
3/30/2009, 11:10 PM

:rolleyes:

A Sooner in Texas
3/30/2009, 11:35 PM
Agreed. From a pure mental standpoint, the team accomplished a lot. But I just don't see the glory. Where's the ovation? Where's the celebration? Where's the excitement?

I think there's been quite a bit of excitement and ovations and celebrations overall. The glory comes in going as far as possible...and elite eight's pretty darn good. Just ask all the other teams that didn't make it that far. Getting to watch one of the best college players ever is icing on the cake.

No one would be human if we weren't disappointed with the losses, but to denigrate an entire season - and in essence, the team and fans (because we appreciate the season for what it is) - because it didn't go all the way to the national championship is not exactly a mature attitude.

Overtime
3/31/2009, 12:42 AM
Dooshtacular analysis, LL.
This is was one of the more enjoyable seasons I've had the pleasure, as a fan, to witness. And I look forward to more enjoyable seasons with Jeff Capel leading the way.

That's what it all comes down to. It was a great season because we loved watching these Soooners play. Because we're basketball fans. We'll always remember Taylor's driving dunk that finally got us on the board in the game we couldn't win against UNC. We'll remember AJ's insane 3s against Iowa State. We'll remember Blake getting judo-flipped and walking off cool like nothing happened. We'll remember Willie's flashes of brilliance in his freshman season. Not because it ended with a trophy, but because we loved the players and the game. That's life.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/31/2009, 12:09 PM
What started as a good thread got completely F'd up.

Can we start a new thread congratulating our guys on playing their asses off and giving us a lot of great memories?

And, mods, can you bane the jackhole that F'd up this thread the, purpose of which is to celebrate our men in Crimson and Cream? PlsKThx.

Leroy Lizard
3/31/2009, 06:49 PM
They just wrapped up what, an 8-5 season? WTF legitimate bragging rights did they have? Las Vegas Bowl champs?

That's my point. They had a decent season, won a decent bowl, and still appeared miles happier than we are right now. Why is that?

No one would be human if we weren't disappointed with the losses, but to denigrate an entire season - and in essence, the team and fans (because we appreciate the season for what it is) - because it didn't go all the way to the national championship is not exactly a mature attitude.

I didn't denigrate the season. I acknowledged that they played very well. My problem with this system is that the team isn't going to get any of the glory most of us think it deserves.

College basketball just leaves an empty feeling in one's stomach at the end, no matter how far you advance (unless you win the whole thing). Emotionally, finishing second feels no better than finishing 64th. And we have to talk ourselves into feeling good about the season.

http://newsok.com/a-special-season-for-the-sooners/article/3357702?custom_click=lead_story_title

The reporters sure don't seem to be basking in the glory of OU's season.

And let me say it: Congratulations to the team on the outstanding job they did all year.

sooner518
3/31/2009, 07:13 PM

http://www.stadiumtrophy.com/store/images/W-1BasketballF.gif

Here! Feel better now? This trophy has about the same meaning as Arizona's Las Vegas Bowl Trophy.

you sound like you have a problem with pretty much any postseason in any sport where there is a playoff. surely you are against such a playoff in college football, right? i honestly dont know.

so youre against a playoff. great. what does this have to do with OU's season? by your standards, anything but a national championship sucks. or I guess we could be Baylor and have a chance at winning the NIT. or the CBI tournament. or the CIT tournament. then we could end our season on a victory with a cool trophy!! yay!

8timechamps
3/31/2009, 08:03 PM
You know, as I look back on Leroy's posts, I have come to the conclusion that he is the typical "spoiled" fan. I'm going to try not to hold that against him.

By spoiled fan, I mean the type of fan that "expects" to win it all, every year. I'm not talking football here, where 'we' expect to be in the hunt every year. I'm talking about college hoops. You'd think Leroy was a life long UCLA fan, that settles for nothing less than a national title.

I just don't get you Leroy. You are either a) someone that really finds more enjoyment in heating up message board posters than actually watching "your" team play, b) a fan with unrealistic expectations, or c) someone that has never played a team sport at a competitive level.

In all honesty, I am leaning toward C. I can assure you that a college athlete pours so much effort and energy into a basketball season, it has to be tough to come up short of a national title. HOWEVER, to be among the final 8 teams standing at the end means something. It means something to the players and coaches, and it means something to most of the fans. And those that have never really been a part of that kind of effort (team sports), cannot possibly understand what that means.

Leroy Lizard
3/31/2009, 08:42 PM
Here! Feel better now? This trophy has about the same meaning as Arizona's Las Vegas Bowl Trophy.

Then why were fans rushing the field?

so youre against a playoff. great. what does this have to do with OU's season? by your standards, anything but a national championship sucks. or I guess we could be Baylor and have a chance at winning the NIT. or the CBI tournament. or the CIT tournament. then we could end our season on a victory with a cool trophy!! yay!

You completely misunderstand my argument. Please read it again.

By spoiled fan, I mean the type of fan that "expects" to win it all, every year. I'm not talking football here, where 'we' expect to be in the hunt every year. I'm talking about college hoops. You'd think Leroy was a life long UCLA fan, that settles for nothing less than a national title.

You have it backwards: I don't expect to win it every year. In fact, we have never won it. So why would I expect it?

I think there is about a 90% chance that we will never win it, at least in our lifetimes. So every year we are going to go through the same Groundhog Day result.

So what exactly is the team playing for?

I just don't get you Leroy. You are either a) someone that really finds more enjoyment in heating up message board posters than actually watching "your" team play, b) a fan with unrealistic expectations, or c) someone that has never played a team sport at a competitive level.

I am a fan that states exactly how I feel.

In all honesty, I am leaning toward C.

Actually, I have played a lot of organized sports, but was strictly a benchwarmer.

I can assure you that a college athlete pours so much effort and energy into a basketball season, it has to be tough to come up short of a national title. HOWEVER, to be among the final 8 teams standing at the end means something. It means something to the players and coaches, and it means something to most of the fans.

No, it SHOULD mean something. The fans and team SHOULD feel great about the season. There SHOULD be joy in Norman.

I just don't think there is.

Is there joy in Norman right now about our basketball season? Yes or no? Let's cut to the quick.

8timechamps
3/31/2009, 09:09 PM

You have it backwards: I don't expect to win it every year. In fact, we have never won it. So why would I expect it?

I think there is about a 90% chance that we will never win it, at least in our lifetimes. So every year we are going to go through the same Groundhog Day result.

So what exactly is the team playing for?

I am a fan that states exactly how I feel.

Actually, I have played a lot of organized sports, but was strictly a benchwarmer.

No, it SHOULD mean something. The fans and team SHOULD feel great about the season. There SHOULD be joy in Norman.

I just don't think there is.

Is there joy in Norman right now about our basketball season? Yes or no? Let's cut to the quick.

I think it means a lot to those that are fans of the Sooner basketball program. If you're not a big fan, or you're just a fan that gets excited and watches when he team is winning, then you probably couldn't care less.

Other than going through the letdown after the loss (same as with football), this season meant a lot to me. As I am sure it does to the players, coaches and basketball fans out there.

I still don't get your position. Can people only really be happy if their teams win it all? If that's your idea of being a fan, then I understand why you aren't happy.

Leroy Lizard
3/31/2009, 10:03 PM
Other than going through the letdown after the loss (same as with football), this season meant a lot to me. As I am sure it does to the players, coaches and basketball fans out there.

I think this is the crux of our disagreement.

To me, you are equating "satisfied" with "thrilled." Fans may be satisfied with the season ("Losing sucks, but I guess it was a pretty good season"), but joyous? I think not.

Can people only really be happy if their teams win it all?

I think they can be content. Happy? Maybe. Joyous? Not really.

We'll find out when the team comes back to town just how thrilled the fans are with the season. Parades? Celebrations? I doubt you will see much. So is it just me?

You didn't answer my question:

Is there joy in Norman right now about our basketball season? Yes or no?

Bosley
3/31/2009, 10:16 PM
I think this is the crux of our disagreement.

To me, you are equating "satisfied" with "thrilled." Fans may be satisfied with the season ("Losing sucks, but I guess it was a pretty good season"), but joyous? I think not.

I think they can be content. Happy? Maybe. Joyous? Not really.

We'll find out when the team comes back to town just how thrilled the fans are with the season. Parades? Celebrations? I doubt you will see much. So is it just me?

You didn't answer my question:

Is there joy in Norman right now about our basketball season? Yes or no?

Oh the fond memories I have of attending the parades after the last 3 football seasons.

I have been so "joyous" with the last 6 years of OU football with the only meaningful bowl win coming in the holiday bowl, with Rhett Bomar and a last second interception to beat a sub-par Oregon team.

sooner518
3/31/2009, 10:28 PM

I dont know. Because they're idiots..... Has our fanbase sunk low enough that we rush the field at the LAS VEGAS BOWL?! I hope not and I hope it never does. That just sounds sad.

im tired of reading your nonsensical arguments. tell me in 3 or less sentences what your argument is because I can't figure it out.

WTF is your point???? was there joy in Norman about our football season on January 10 this year? does that mean the entire season was invalidated because we lost the last game of the year?

does that mean the fans didnt have a blast along the way and feel that the team actually has a chance to compete for conference and maybe a national title?

We had a great season because we won 30 games. Because we had the best and most entertaining player in the country. Because we have one of the best freshmen in the country. Because we can see the talent level coming in next year and the reason for that talent level is due to the fact that we DID have a great year. Because we got farther than every other team in the country except for 8 other teams.

If you base your enjoyment level of sports based solely on the outcome of your favorite team' season, you wont be enjoying sports very much.

Leroy Lizard
4/1/2009, 12:12 AM
Oh the fond memories I have of attending the parades after the last 3 football seasons.

Football doesn't guarantee good feelings after every season. You still have to win. But if you look at the history of college football, our team finished on a hgh note after about half of the seasons. Maybe even more than half.

Basketball? Has our men's team ever finished on a high note?

I dont know. Because they're idiots....

Sorry, but calling a fan base idiots to explain away their enthusiasm is hardly a rational response.

Has our fanbase sunk low enough that we rush the field at the LAS VEGAS BOWL?! I hope not and I hope it never does. That just sounds sad.

You forgot the elation that OU fans felt when they scored late against Ole Miss in the Independence Bowl. I was in Henry Hudson's at the time and the crowd went wild. Of course, Ole Miss fans returned the favor a few minutes later.

So simply dismissing Arizona fans as idiots won't cut it. (Remember how OU fans reacted at the end of the Syracuse game about ten years ago?)

im tired of reading your nonsensical arguments. tell me in 3 or less sentences what your argument is because I can't figure it out.

OU fans SHOULD feel great about the season. But they don't. The NCAA tournament all but guarantees that the fans and team will end every season (except perhaps one every 50 years) on a sour note.

Now, do you understand that argument?

Do you see how that is NOT the same in college football.

Please let me know if I need to explain it any further.

Answer the question. Yes or no?

There WAS joy in Norman after we beat Washington State in the Rose Bowl.

Why?

We had a great season because we won 30 games. Because we had the best and most entertaining player in the country. Because we have one of the best freshmen in the country. Because we can see the talent level coming in next year and the reason for that talent level is due to the fact that we DID have a great year. Because we got farther than every other team in the country except for 8 other teams.

I agree. We should be happy. I am pleased. Happy? Not really. Elated? Absolutely not.

If you base your enjoyment level of sports based solely on the outcome of your favorite team' season, you wont be enjoying sports very much.

You guys need to quit relying on straw men. I never said that the season wasn't enjoyable to watch.

Instead of just attacking me, why not read what I said and quit puttng words in my mouth.

My argument is not that hard to understand: Finishing every season, year after year, with a loss takes away from the elation that should follow such a successful season.

Now, you will in turn respond with a bunch of crap that I am denigrating the team, or discounting their accomplishments. Malarkey!

Leroy Lizard
4/1/2009, 09:11 AM
Sorry about hijacking the thread. It was a little uncalled for. I didn't mean to quash any good feelings my fellow fans had about the season.

NormanPride
4/1/2009, 10:13 AM
Yeah that was kind of a dick move there, LL.

the_ouskull
4/1/2009, 10:39 AM

oumartin's still here... I mean, if we're going to trim the fat, let's start at the top...

the_ouskull

Hella Sideburns
4/1/2009, 11:31 AM
Anyone who isn't thrilled with this season is a complete fool. Look at where the program was just over two years ago.

Now we have an Elite 8 appearance, a future first overall draft pick and a coach that is luring in big-time recruits. The future looks bright, and that future is in part due to the success we enjoyed this season.

OUstud
4/1/2009, 02:46 PM
Let's just say that there was no Big XII Tournament. We lose every game, but win our season finale. We aren't going to any postseason whatsoever, but dammit we finished ON A HIGH NOTE!!!!!! :rolleyes:

sooner518
4/1/2009, 03:11 PM
OU fans SHOULD feel great about the season. But they don't. The NCAA tournament all but guarantees that the fans and team will end every season (except perhaps one every 50 years) on a sour note.

Now, do you understand that argument?

Do you see how that is NOT the same in college football.

Please let me know if I need to explain it any further.

so your point is basically that football is better than basketball because football DOESNT have a playoff system, therefore fans can be happy about the end of the season. right? there's nothing else, is there?

anyways, I disagree. I am much happier at the end of a season where we make the Elite 8 in basketball (even though we GASP, lost our last game of the year! like 64 other teams....), but in football we finish the season ranked #25 and win some fourth tier bowl game like the Las Vegas Bowl.

The reason being: I understand the nature of the two different systems and am able to decide for myself that being ranked in the top 10, yet ending your season with a loss is a more successful season than going 7-5 and winning the Las Vegas Bowl in football.

I think most people on this board would agree and can see the shortsightedness in thinking the above-mentioned football season is a more pleasing and gratifying result for fans than the above-mentioned basketball season.

but to each his own. and like you said, you're not really a basketball fan so I guess this explains why.

Leroy Lizard
4/1/2009, 08:24 PM
Anyone who isn't thrilled with this season is a complete fool. Look at where the program was just over two years ago.

Okay, so basketball fans like you feel thrilled over OU's season, right?

Where are the celebrations?

That's what thrilled fans do, right?

sooner518
4/1/2009, 09:18 PM

i didnt have any "celebrations" when we won the national title in football.

besides, i didnt know that to be thrilled, you must have a celebrations. i didnt get that memo

Hella Sideburns
4/1/2009, 10:38 PM

I know you're just trying to troll me or whatever, but I am thrilled. I think anyone who has been a long-term fan of OU basketball is thrilled. If they aren't, they're being unrealistic. No offense, but you seem like someone who just started watching the games this year because they were winning a lot.

My roommate is the same way. Before the season he couldn't have named one player not named Blake Griffin, but now he's acting like some kind of super scout because he jumped on the bandwagon and watched a couple of games.

Leroy Lizard
4/2/2009, 01:41 AM
The reason being: I understand the nature of the two different systems and am able to decide for myself that being ranked in the top 10, yet ending your season with a loss is a more successful season than going 7-5 and winning the Las Vegas Bowl in football.

For the umpteenth time, your reasoning is based solely on the logical level. Logically, we should be ecstatic. We all agree on that.

But I am talking about the emotional level. Emotionally, I just don't feel the euphoria that I should.

Have you ever had someone you know die, and not feel as sad as you should? Or you feel worse than you should. It's kind of the same thing. We don't always feel the way logic would normally dictate. We're human.

i didnt have any "celebrations" when we won the national title in football.

besides, i didnt know that to be thrilled, you must have a celebrations. i didnt get that memo

Individuals might not, but a fan base as a whole typically does celebrate when it ends up with a thrilling conclusion to a season. Parties, parades... something. Not everyone is involved, but there are enough thrilled fans that some evidence of their feelings shows.

I see no evidence that anyone is truly thrilled now that the season has played out. None, whatsoever.

Satisfied? Okay. Happy? Maybe. Thrilled? Nope.

There is no mystery as to why: A last-game loss just takes the edge off of the celebratory mood of a fan base. Why everyone is trying to deny the obvious I have no idea.

Just to clarify:

Thrilled: "Yeah!!! Wahooooo!!!"

Happy: "Overall, it was a great season."

Satisfied: "Uhh, it was a pretty good season."

For the record, I would count my emotion as happy. But not thrilled.

Now, unless someone has a new angle to this argument, I suggest we drop it.

stoopified
4/2/2009, 08:00 AM
Damn it.Four days after the UNC loss and I am still pumped up over a great season,spmething MUST be wrong with me.I mean how can anyone get excited over a 30-6,ELITE EIGHT season?

Harry Beanbag
4/2/2009, 08:07 AM
Duh, it's not a great season unless you have a big parade with clowns and snow cones.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/2/2009, 08:32 AM
Duh, it's not a great season unless you have a big parade with clowns and snow cones.

someone wants me to have nightmares

sooner518
4/2/2009, 08:36 AM
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/this-thread-sucks/8/ThisThreadSucks.jpg

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/2/2009, 08:45 AM
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/this-thread-sucks/8/ThisThreadSucks.jpg

Hey I thought it started brilliantly! ;)

sooner518
4/2/2009, 09:30 AM
Hey I thought it started brilliantly! ;)

it did but got out of hand really quickly

http://i40.tinypic.com/8yatr9.jpg

the_ouskull
4/2/2009, 11:20 AM

Parade? Are you freaking kidding me?

Sin,

http://www.themoore.com/img/artists/07-9-21-DanielTosh.jpg

If you're curious as to what else is going on here, watch this video... Note: It is NOT safe for work... nor is it safe if you're sans Depends brand adult diapers, because, if you have a good sense of humor, you're liable to p*ss yourself...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V61U6kT9Qbo

the_ouskull

Remembering Tom Stidham
4/2/2009, 11:38 AM
I think Blake will come back for his junior year. He has too much pride to go out like we did with Carolina.